Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (Summary Post #1 & #1811)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this guy a Borla dealer?

If the only advantage to this mod is purely for the sound and the pipes in the middle of the car is unseen, why wouldn't you do a mod that costs $100 vs a $1000 catback?

There also isn't a catback on the market specifically for the 3G TL except for Comptech, right?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Racer

Any recommended shops in Northern Jersey? So far all i've been able to find are Midas shops - any one with experience using them?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
The guy there couldn't believe I wanted him to hack up the exhaust on a new TL-S with only 4,000 miles. He talked me out of it. I felt stupid, but he was very nice and didn't try to do that. He said get a Cat back from Borla.
I had less than 300 miles on mine when I had the mid muffler removed. Cost me $40 and I had the guy install a replacement hanger so the pipe is still supported.

The reason is personal taste in that I wanted a Type-S with quad exhaust to sound more agressive than it did stock.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
So, let me see if I have this right.

One of the longest threads on the biggest forums for Acura's where a shit load of TL owners (that "have been there, done that") highly recommend doing this mod, and you take advice/shit from a "muffler man" ? Do I read your reply correctly ? Over.

BTW, I had approx 4000 miles on my 2006 TL when I got mine done. And, 10,000 miles later, I still HIGHLY recommend this mod. But, what the hell do I know... Just follow what the muffler man tells you.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Go to a different exhaust shop. I've never talked someone out of doing a mod. I've showed them alternatives, but never told them to stick with the OEM when they wanted a change.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
WOW, you'd think I was stealing from you guys. I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing in the first place. And I have a hard time thinking it would make much difference just removing the mid muffler. The muffler man just didn't think it would do much, and I agreed. I heard the little video's but the only diff I heard was replacing the resonator also. I also read that not everybody noticed a decent change, just a little. Could be in your imagination. Like I said also, he was almost laughing at cutting a new cars exhaust up to maybe get a few more decibles of sound. I did a $1k dual Borla to my Tundra and it made a big difference! Many people said it sounded like a Mustang GT, Loved how it sounded. Maybe I will go somewhere else and take off the mid muffler, but I still have a hard time thinking it would do much. OK

I love the sound of a great exhaust, if I was sure it would make a diff I would of told him to go ahead and do it. I know the 07 TL-S sounds like a VEGA
Old 05-17-2007, 12:19 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
WOW, you'd think I was stealing from you guys. I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing in the first place. And I have a hard time thinking it would make much difference just removing the mid muffler. The muffler man just didn't think it would do much, and I agreed. I heard the little video's but the only diff I heard was replacing the resonator also. I also read that not everybody noticed a decent change, just a little. Could be in your imagination. Like I said also, he was almost laughing at cutting a new cars exhaust up to maybe get a few more decibles of sound. I did a $1k dual Borla to my Tundra and it made a big difference! Many people said it sounded like a Mustang GT, Loved how it sounded. Maybe I will go somewhere else and take off the mid muffler, but I still have a hard time thinking it would do much. OK

I love the sound of a great exhaust, if I was sure it would make a diff I would of told him to go ahead and do it. I know the 07 TL-S sounds like a VEGA
IMO I wouldnt want my TL to sound like a mustang. If I were to see one like that I would probably laugh. The whole point in most people doing this is to get the G35 exhaust sound, without spending over $150.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 AM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
I just went to Merlins to have the mid muffler removed and maybe a new resonator. The guy their looked at my system and said NO WAY would he butcher the system for doing that. He said go quality cat back instead. I took his advice and left. No charge and a lot of advice. He said a new 07 TL-S, I wouldn't do that ever. I said thanks good idae about getting the cat back. I had a $1k Borla Cat back on my 04 Tundra V8 and it sounded like a Mustang GT.
Awhile back I had some posts where I was desperately looking for a muffler shop to do my stage 2 install. I got all kinds of BS from all over the place. Chicago area shops were not fun to deal with and on average most were quoting $100-$300. I knew it was waay overpriced! They said it could take 1.5 to 3 hrs!! Whatever! I said if they gave me the equipment, I could probably do it myself in 45 min.

I got into quite an arguement with 1 shop with an extremely rude manager. He said he dosen't do "illegal buisness" I was like wha?? The dope thought I wanted to remove the catalytic or straight pipe it or something. I said the resonator or mid-muffler removal was totally legal and he kept arguing and dissing me saying I don't know anything. I was telling him off all the way out the door. Don't waste your time with these types of people. They say they're in the buisness for years and they know everything yada yada. They ask you what you do for living to make it seem like you are stupid about cars. They act like they're experts in their field of work.They don't know JACKSHIT!! They make a living off these jobs knowing just that much? Sad.

It was in fact the 1st muffler shop I stopped at, a Merlins, that was actually quite nice to me. (On 83 kingery highway) They offered to do it for $100 with no problems or I could bring it back. I was just about to do it but I found a better deal.

In the end I found a shop just 1 mile from my house in downtown Chi called Mufflers for Le$$. A bonafide 100% "hole in the wall" shop. These guys were just sitting around bored. They wanted just $40!!! I was out of the shop in 20 minutes, couldn't believe it!

I will admit it was hard to watch sparks flying from under my 2 month old car as they did their surgery. The car was so clean you could eat off the underside of it! I asked the mechanic "You think I'm crazy right?" he said "No way man! I live for this stuff! I feel ya. Me? I would have done a full custom exhaust on this baby if it were mine. Even if it was this brand new, I don't care, it's worth it" It really was.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sunny201
IMO I wouldnt want my TL to sound like a mustang. If I were to see one like that I would probably laugh. The whole point in most people doing this is to get the G35 exhaust sound, without spending over $150.

You know, not to stray too much off topic on this thread, I was thinking about posting the exact same thing, but decided not to.

I really don't want my exhaust sound anything remotely close to a mustang. If you want that sound, then get a mustang! Personalizing your car is good and all, but make sure everything you do kinda matches the car itself, even down to it's "personality".
Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aznbo187
rick,

I believe the magnaflow was just a faulty install. The dynomax is just a tad louder than the magnaflow setup. You won't disturb your neighbors with either setup, their both on the quiet side, really. The dynomax setup is a tad deeper sounding and once again, a -tiny- bit louder.

In either case, I would suggest AT least go with the magnaflow replacement, and if your having an awesome day, go with the dynomax. You won't be disappointed with either...their both quiet...just make sure you find a good exhaust shop that does quality welds with a good reputation.

Btw, that's a lot of pages to read. I can't even keep up with that! =)
Aznbo,

Having a awesome day so I just ordered the dynomax res. from summit racing .I will have installed next week. i know a family owned muffler shop so no issues there. Thanks for your aud/vid clips. Analyed over and over...dynomax wins...however the volume is tough to judge. Different enviroments, how close your recorder is, and even my computers volume can all alter the true volume so your reply was very helpful even though similiar questions have already been asked. i know this from recording my brothers g35 coupe, some recordings sounded way louder than actual volume. My car is all stock and the sound is so mute I feel like im driving a hybrid!! Will post when complete. Thanks again

BTW....work night shift solo..so plenty of acurazine reading time. later
Old 05-17-2007, 03:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ricknsxt
Aznbo,

Having a awesome day so I just ordered the dynomax res. from summit racing .I will have installed next week. i know a family owned muffler shop so no issues there. Thanks for your aud/vid clips. Analyed over and over...dynomax wins...however the volume is tough to judge. Different enviroments, how close your recorder is, and even my computers volume can all alter the true volume so your reply was very helpful even though similiar questions have already been asked. i know this from recording my brothers g35 coupe, some recordings sounded way louder than actual volume. My car is all stock and the sound is so mute I feel like im driving a hybrid!! Will post when complete. Thanks again

BTW....work night shift solo..so plenty of acurazine reading time. later
Rick,

glad you went with the right choice! I can say, from experiencing EVERY setup, I feel that the dynomax setup is the right one...for me anyways. As far as the sound clips, I really couldn't do much better with only having a camera, and it's hard to capture the right sound without any experience.

Just make sure they weld around the whole seam so it's a complete all around weld. Let me know how it goes!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I had to order a new floor jack so I placed an order for the Dynomax resonator while I was at it. Should be here by Monday.

Summit Racing has to be one of the quickest companies I've dealt with.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aznbo187
You know, not to stray too much off topic on this thread, I was thinking about posting the exact same thing, but decided not to.

I really don't want my exhaust sound anything remotely close to a mustang. If you want that sound, then get a mustang! Personalizing your car is good and all, but make sure everything you do kinda matches the car itself, even down to it's "personality".
PLEASE read my post. I DID NOT SAY I wanted my TL to sound like a Mustang GT!!!I said my Tundra sounded like a Mustang GT with Dual Borla Exhaust!

After going to Merlins for my first try and being kind of Laughed at, I came home and posted a comment yesterday. READ IT AGAIN. I just want to make it sound like a G35 like all of you. NOT a Mustang GT.

30 Minutes ago I went to MidA$$. I asked if they charge by the hour. I told him I wanted just the mid muffler taken off and a straight pipe replacing it. He got COCKY and said we charge $85 + tax 1 hour. I said it was a 15 minute job. HE SAID, Then go do it yourself if it only takes 15 minutes. I wanted to climb over the counter and show him what a 45 year old could do to his fat A$$.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Awhile back I had some posts where I was desperately looking for a muffler shop to do my stage 2 install. I got all kinds of BS from all over the place. Chicago area shops were not fun to deal with and on average most were quoting $100-$300. I knew it was waay overpriced! They said it could take 1.5 to 3 hrs!! Whatever! I said if they gave me the equipment, I could probably do it myself in 45 min.

I got into quite an arguement with 1 shop with an extremely rude manager. He said he dosen't do "illegal buisness" I was like wha?? The dope thought I wanted to remove the catalytic or straight pipe it or something. I said the resonator or mid-muffler removal was totally legal and he kept arguing and dissing me saying I don't know anything. I was telling him off all the way out the door. Don't waste your time with these types of people. They say they're in the buisness for years and they know everything yada yada. They ask you what you do for living to make it seem like you are stupid about cars. They act like they're experts in their field of work.They don't know JACKSHIT!! They make a living off these jobs knowing just that much? Sad.

It was in fact the 1st muffler shop I stopped at, a Merlins, that was actually quite nice to me. (On 83 kingery highway) They offered to do it for $100 with no problems or I could bring it back. I was just about to do it but I found a better deal.

In the end I found a shop just 1 mile from my house in downtown Chi called Mufflers for Le$$. A bonafide 100% "hole in the wall" shop. These guys were just sitting around bored. They wanted just $40!!! I was out of the shop in 20 minutes, couldn't believe it!

I will admit it was hard to watch sparks flying from under my 2 month old car as they did their surgery. The car was so clean you could eat off the underside of it! I asked the mechanic "You think I'm crazy right?" he said "No way man! I live for this stuff! I feel ya. Me? I would have done a full custom exhaust on this baby if it were mine. Even if it was this brand new, I don't care, it's worth it" It really was.

GREAT! Could you please get me the address to that Chicago shop you went to. I will order the Dynomax resonator today and take the 45 minute drive from my house to get it done right without these bullshit attitudes that I have been dealing with. THANKYOU very much rockyfeller!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Just ordered the Dynomax WLK-24215 $50.90 shipped, be here next tuesday. Now I just need the address of that hole in the wall shop in downtown Chicago. I will do a search to see if I can find the address. rockyfeller thanks, if you can get the address I would appreciate it. I DON'T WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE MY TUNDRA.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

I DON'T WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE MY TUNDRA.
Gotta learn to leave out that non-relevant stuff....just asking for comments.

Also need to thicken up your skin. You are going to run into all kinds of people here. Most are civil, some love to stir things up.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

Smile

ok so the last time i visited this thread - i think it had 21 pages on it now were up to 36 DAMN!!
can someone give me ( or at least point me in the right direction) to the SIMPLIST description of each stage with part numbers for the resonators etc etc ( im pretty sure i want the stage 3) but i dont know

i finnally have some money and want to do this mod now that the weater is turning nice!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
I just got my car back yesterday. I deleted the mid and the resonator.

I have custom pips with a magnaflow Y pipe then going to my magnaflow mufflers.

Its sounds so freakin awesome I cant even describe it...
Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by trancemission
I just got my car back yesterday. I deleted the mid and the resonator.

I have custom pips with a magnaflow Y pipe then going to my magnaflow mufflers.

Its sounds so freakin awesome I cant even describe it...
Trance, did you use the old tips or did you go with larger tubing and new tips?

Pics???
Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by intensivecare18
ok so the last time i visited this thread - i think it had 21 pages on it now were up to 36 DAMN!!
can someone give me ( or at least point me in the right direction) to the SIMPLIST description of each stage with part numbers for the resonators etc etc ( im pretty sure i want the stage 3) but i dont know

i finnally have some money and want to do this mod now that the weater is turning nice!
Page 22
Old 05-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Trance, did you use the old tips or did you go with larger tubing and new tips?

Pics???
No pics as of yet. Just got it done yesterday. But he welded the stock tips on. What at great job he did...
Old 05-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
No pics as of yet. Just got it done yesterday. But he welded the stock tips on. What at great job he did...
Aside from pictures, do you havea digitial camera or anything to record the audio on? I would really love to hear it
Old 05-18-2007, 02:57 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I really want to do this stage 3 with flanges..so size of resonator shouldnt matter right? or is one easier than the other to put on?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Racer

^^ keep in mind that the shorter the resonator, the louder your tone will be. the longer the resonator, the quieter the tone of your exhaust will be.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:16 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
I really want to do this stage 3 with flanges..so size of resonator shouldnt matter right? or is one easier than the other to put on?
Size does matter
Old 05-19-2007, 12:19 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89

length of resonator or the diameter of the inlet/outlet?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:57 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
well between the 24234 and 24215? which should i go with for flanges? does it even matter? I ordered the 24234 already but if its better to get the 24215 for flanges i'll call them up and change my order
Old 05-19-2007, 02:04 PM
One on the right for me

24234 should be easier
Old 05-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by subinf
24234 should be easier
Easier for what? My WLK-24215 just arrived 2 hours ago. Everybody said to get this model.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

It shouldn't make a difference, the muffler shop will be able to put it on easily.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
One on the right for me

2.25" will fit the pipe better. Doesn't make big difference because the shop will just make a slip if it is too big. When I did exhaust work, I preferred the part to be the same diameter as the pipe so I could expand it and slip it over - cleaner install. No difference other than that.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

^^^thats how mine was done.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Safety Car

I am having the mid muffler taken off and the Dynomax resonator #24215 put on tomorrow. I was quoted $125 from a high quality shop. Should I get flanges welded on anything? This will add quite a bit to the $125. I thought most people were just eliminating the mid muffler and welding in the Dyno res. If I want to quite down my car for resale couldn't I just have the stock Res. just welded back in? And leave off the mid muffler. I am making an appointment in about an hour for tuesday morning install. THANKS, Jeff D.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

I just called the shop to make an apointment and the owner(whom I went to school with) said one of his mechanics that use to work for Honda said they did that and a check engine light problem came up. He works on high end car, Vipers, Bimmers, etc. I told him many of you guys have done this and I would check. He was very concerned about the install, then putting back to stock. $250 wasted. I can't set up an apointment until I am sure I won't have this problem. Thankyou, J.D.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
One on the right for me

You won't have a check engine light come on. I don't know why the shop would be concerned about that. That actually doesn't make any sense because you aren't actually removing anything related to the emissions, and you are not removing anything without replacing it with a similar part. Maybe they are horrible at welding and left a bunch of holes on their last install?

I've done more than 100 installs of the magnaflow resonators and probably another 50 with the dynomax resonators and I've never had a CEL come on. Have a different mechanic work on your car.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:03 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i had mine done a while ago..and i had no problems
Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Man it's insane how many shops don't know what they are doing, or maybe you guys are not explaining it right? Make sure you EMPHASIZE it's not the cat, but the resonator...these guys sometimes have bad hearing because they work at a muffler shop all day so try screaming at them sometimes, hah.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ussi
Not sure if this is the right place to ask..but here goes..

my current setup is 2 HKS cans and comptech piping with the midmuffler deleted w/ a straight pipe.

i just installed my procats on my TL, and i'm starting to get a rasp at 2500-2800rpms...really nasty sound... i didnt have any raspiness before i installed the procats. i'm thinking i should put the midmuffler back in...any suggestions??
So i just had the dynomax 24125 put in and the rasp is completely gone. I kinda had to butcher my comptech exhaust to put it in but it sounds great now. Maybe I should have put the midmuffler back in before doing this but oh well. My car car is slightly quieter but is back to sounding great
Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Nice! Dynomax is the fix -all solution, lol.

Just got back from the exhaust shop and getting my custom quad catback install next thursday. God exhaust's burn a hole in my pocket!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

I won't post on this thread again after this. I know alot about cars exhaust and emmisions. If I had the right tools I would of done it myself. I have been to 4 places and I give up. I am done with any mods until a real quality cat-back system comes out. Any of you guys that had this done without problems, congrats to you. WLK-24215 is on a box back to Summit. Later.

Quick Reply: Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (Summary Post #1 & #1811)