REAL 3.5L Superchared :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by swift22
For those building 3.5/3.7L's..........

Did anyone sleeve their block or hone it out to 90mm yet and use aftermarket pistons??

I am looking for a forged 90mm piston without having to custom order one just yet. I swear someone is running this bore?????

Ps- these blocks have forged internals and a 4bolt main, they can EASILY hold 400whp, pistons are the weak spot.
You can find 90mm pistons off a j37. Its not worth the bore/resleeve for a 1mm overbore, just go with j35 internals, those are some sort of forged/metal combination. J32 internals aren't forged either..more of a powder metal..pistons are a weak spot but so are the rods.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
PS_ MOderators can you clean up the beginning of this thread and delete posts by wannabee banned loser. Thanks in advance. This will be a great thread, i guarantee it.
done
Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^ thaaaank you

So some of our internals are already forged? i looked at boring out the engine, but sleeving would be neccesary, quite frankly like the other guy said, its not worth it for 1mm more
Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 AM
I (don't) whine.

^Ya, the walls are already pretty thin on the block..you could go with a 1mm overbore but that's about it then you'll have to drop some $$ on custom sleeves. Not worth the effort...For those who already have some miles on their engine you can can get some serious gains in hp/tq for less than it would cost to get a supercharger and a long lasting engine
Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 AM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
For those building 3.5/3.7L's..........

Did anyone sleeve their block or hone it out to 90mm yet and use aftermarket pistons??

I am looking for a forged 90mm piston without having to custom order one just yet. I swear someone is running this bore?????

Ps- these blocks have forged internals and a 4bolt main, they can EASILY hold 400whp, pistons are the weak spot.
I have a J32A2 out there bored over, but not sleeved using the OE pistons, the problem is finding a shop that can/will sleeve these blocks. But once you bore these blocks, boost is out, also I would not go beyond 1mm, the OE sleeves in these blocks are not uniform down the sides so you can get real thin real fast.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
I have a J32A2 out there bored over, but not sleeved using the OE pistons, the problem is finding a shop that can/will sleeve these blocks. But once you bore these blocks, boost is out, also I would not go beyond 1mm, the OE sleeves in these blocks are not uniform down the sides so you can get real thin real fast.
Would it be worth it to get the cylinders sonic checked? I did this and went through 3 stock blocks until I found one that had decent wall thickness with my .035" overbore. If you had access to used blocks this may help.

I'm assuming from your post that the J32 will run into cylinder strength/flex problems with boost and an overbore?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to more clearly state my question:

I already have J37 pistons in my one motor(first piston swap of its kind); however in my next motor i want 90mm forged pistons instead....hence why i asked. I have seen some darton sleeved blocks in use on this forum, and thought one was a larger bore.

Only problem with sleeves in cracking due to heat stress or vibrating/heat expansion causing them to slide .mm upward and pinching the headgasket. So i wouldn't worry to heavily on stock sleeves with stock bore. However if you get a block that was overheated or a BHG then the sleeves may be compromised.

anyways continue on...
Old 10-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
to more clearly state my question:

I already have J37 pistons in my one motor(first piston swap of its kind); however in my next motor i want 90mm forged pistons instead....hence why i asked. I have seen some darton sleeved blocks in use on this forum, and thought one was a larger bore.

Only problem with sleeves in cracking due to heat stress or vibrating/heat expansion causing them to slide .mm upward and pinching the headgasket. So i wouldn't worry to heavily on stock sleeves with stock bore. However if you get a block that was overheated or a BHG then the sleeves may be compromised.

anyways continue on...
It's always possibe to substantially increase the bore, it's just how far you want to go.

In a friend's 951 Porsche, we increased displacement from 2.5 to 2.8L from the bore alone, stock stroke crank. With a goal of 550hp, we needed some meat in the cylinders. This was originally an aluminum bore with the coating on the surface (can't think of the name now) and no sleeves.

What we did was machine the cylinders just about down to the main webbing Looking at the block, there were no cylinders anymore, just an empty open area. We used some incredibly thick Darton liners. Machined down the bottom two inches of the outside diameter of the sleeves for a slight press fit into what was left of the stock bores. The sleeves were decked to pop up .003" past the block deck so the head stabilized the liners and the gasket got a nice seal. What we ended up with was a much larger bore to unshroud the valves and increase displacement and they're about 1.5 times thicker than the stock cylinders. And there's still room for water flow between them.

It wasn't too bad for a full CNC shop and the car has had no failures for the past two years running lots of boost and hp. If the TL's design allowed, this would be a good way to increase displacement reliably.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinJim
You'd need a set of THESE, more to come at a later date on that. Using these, you'd have to make a trigger bracket, easy, then figure out a simple crank trigger which sounds like your on top of it.
My boy at P2R is suppose to be making me a set of these to go with my cams.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey guys I saw the full j35a8 racinghart03 has

Australian Accent: what a beauty

Can't wait till he has time to match up tranny's or stroke it for that matter
Old 11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
Hey guys I saw the full j35a8 racinghart03 has

Australian Accent: what a beauty

Can't wait till he has time to match up tranny's or stroke it for that matter
lol. Ya but you know I am super cheap and refuse to buy anything I dont KNOW will work lol. I cant believe I havent been able to "aquire" a 3.7 liter block yet. I am very dissapointed in myself!!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Very good thread! Thought you guys might have some interest in my project. Jim

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/mp90-supercharger-retrofitted-mp62-comptech-kit-694376/
Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 AM
I (don't) whine.

^pretty damn cool. looks expensive tho...
Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 AM
I have car ADD

wow. Nate @ Comptechs biggest concern with making a supercharger for the Type-S , was the M62 wouldnt produce enough power... but from the looks of it, that M90 isnt THAT much bigger....He didnt think an M90 would fit in our bay.... I am sure it is something ct-engineering can work out... I think that they need to say that thread Jim. Awesome job bro!!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^that m90 has more than enough room... comptech needs to get off their asses
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stillhere153
^that m90 has more than enough room... comptech needs to get off their asses
CT Engineering = FAIL. they haven't done anything for real engine management they didn't do anything with the early surging issues and they haven't developed anything for the type-S. CT getting off their asses is far away.

If they were worried about the M62 not producing enough power, thrown on the high boost pulley and you'll have the 5-6 PSI that the J32 uses. It's not rocket science...
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Thanks guys! I should have it all rapped up by the end of January. We will have to see what happens. Good luck with your operation here.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
See I told you...

You guys laughed at me when I wrote the post about supercharged engines and stock internals.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...543&highlight=

Just goes to show you that with boost and hyperuetectic pistons you are on borrowed time. How much time you get is up to you.

Fordged stuff is the way to go but a safe tune is also equally important.

A-Train
Old 11-08-2008, 12:18 AM
I love Beer

Originally Posted by csmeance
CT Engineering = FAIL. they haven't done anything for real engine management they didn't do anything with the early surging issues and they haven't developed anything for the type-S. CT getting off their asses is far away.

If they were worried about the M62 not producing enough power, thrown on the high boost pulley and you'll have the 5-6 PSI that the J32 uses. It's not rocket science...

I beg to differ sir. I am good friends with one of the employees over at CT-E. The whole reason ComptechUSA now CT Engineering not coming out with a blower for 2007 and 2008 Type S is solely due to the fact, Acura once again got rid of the Type S badge. From the marketing stand point, it is hard to produce something for a model that's only good for 2 years. Plus, not a whole lot of folks supercharge their TL, so it is quite pointless producing something when (A) you're not selling too many of them (B) CT had a operation halt when they sold their company off and (C) making something that has already been discontinued. Rest assured CT-E is working something for the 4G TL, but as far as the Type S goes, there will not be a customed fit blower for it.
the surging issue was never solved, you are correct about that...
Old 11-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I love Beer

ussi, I give you props for working on this project. I have no patience for check engine lights and problems. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:04 AM
E55>>>TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OctoberFestFan
Rest assured CT-E is working something for the 4G TL, but as far as the Type S goes, there will not be a customed fit blower for it.
How do you know this? CT-E told you?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I love Beer

yes
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I beg to differ sir. I am good friends with one of the employees over at CT-E. The whole reason ComptechUSA now CT Engineering not coming out with a blower for 2007 and 2008 Type S is solely due to the fact, Acura once again got rid of the Type S badge. From the marketing stand point, it is hard to produce something for a model that's only good for 2 years. Plus, not a whole lot of folks supercharge their TL, so it is quite pointless producing something when (A) you're not selling too many of them (B) CT had a operation halt when they sold their company off and (C) making something that has already been discontinued. Rest assured CT-E is working something for the 4G TL, but as far as the Type S goes, there will not be a customed fit blower for it.

^^ are you kidding me? in bold, that is the BIG reason why they fail. selling a SC kit close to $5k with half ass engine management and gives you surging and bucking right out the box, is pitiful you'd expect more from a co. like comptech to rectify a problem like this BEFORE they make it available to the public. they basically leave everyone to fend for themselves on picking which EMS to buy and find a qualified tuner to do the job, which may be a task in itself depending on what part of the country you live in.

its funny, on there website for the 3rd gen TL SC kits, it says in big bold letters "WILL NOT FIT 7TH GEN ACCORDS" and when i called alooong time ago regarding it they said they dont ever plan on making one. little did they know its a direct fit and even though i made a custom radiator, the stock one will work just fine. honestly, how hard would it be to make the ACM run a bit leaner for the .2 liters of displacement the accord lacks over the TL or visa-versa for the type-s??

a SC kit for a type-s is right in their reach IMO. there making mountains out of mole hills over there. like csmeance said "its not rocket science!"

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 11-08-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:15 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I can bet you that the 3rd gen tl s/c fits on the 4th gen... I saw the 4th gen... they didnt change anything
Old 11-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I have car ADD

they also told me over a year ago, that the CT exhaust would not fit on my type-s... i would have kept mine if i knew it fit... just goes to show, that we as a community know alot more than even some of the manuf. out there..

when i go to shops to ask questions, they are like "where did you hear that, on a forum? forum people dont know shit..."

i think most of us , especially those involved in this thread, know more than the guys who sell, service and customize these cars...

my

and yes, the s/c WILL fit the type-s.. i am going to get one, and first attempt it with the comptech ACM included for the 3.2L.. i will just have to figure out the pin-outs myself... if the gains are over 40+whp i will be content.. if not, custom tune will be the way to go....
Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
they also told me over a year ago, that the CT exhaust would not fit on my type-s... i would have kept mine if i knew it fit... just goes to show, that we as a community know alot more than even some of the manuf. out there..

when i go to shops to ask questions, they are like "where did you hear that, on a forum? forum people dont know shit..."

i think most of us , especially those involved in this thread, know more than the guys who sell, service and customize these cars...

my

and yes, the s/c WILL fit the type-s.. i am going to get one, and first attempt it with the comptech ACM included for the 3.2L.. i will just have to figure out the pin-outs myself... if the gains are over 40+whp i will be content.. if not, custom tune will be the way to go....
Just let me know when your ready. I can wire that thing over the phone. Oh and howbout the guys who service, customize and are on this forum lol.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:30 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Yo allon, you should drive your ass to craig's shop... craig
Old 11-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

I beg to differ sir. I am good friends with one of the employees over at CT-E. The whole reason ComptechUSA now CT Engineering not coming out with a blower for 2007 and 2008 Type S is solely due to the fact, Acura once again got rid of the Type S badge. From the marketing stand point, it is hard to produce something for a model that's only good for 2 years. Plus, not a whole lot of folks supercharge their TL, so it is quite pointless producing something when (A) you're not selling too many of them (B) CT had a operation halt when they sold their company off and (C) making something that has already been discontinued. Rest assured CT-E is working something for the 4G TL, but as far as the Type S goes, there will not be a custom fit blower for it.
the blower has the same mounting locations as the 04-06 TL, so theres no issue of fitment. The pins on the ECU have changed, not the signal they provide so the Comptech ECM should work with the ECU. The only thing that comptech has to do is include a High Boost Pulley and a reprogrammed ECM that delivers more fuel due to the .3 liter increase in displacement. Its not rocket science on CT's Part. At most it should be a 4 month ordeal....

As far as the 4G TL, I hope to god that acura engineers decided to beef up the motor to 3G standards, with Comptech's surging and other methods with the 3G TL, its bound to blow apart if not reinforced.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I love Beer

Yes I agree it is not rocket science to tweak a little on the 3G TL to fit the 3G type S. As I said before, from the marketing stand point, maybe they feel there is a lack of orders. Again, there are not too many S/C buyers, most TL owners do minor mods on their cars and very few would actually buy a S/C.
04AccordCpe, I totally agree with your statement. Some of these technicians over at CT-E may have less knowledge as to some of you here. I know for sure that a few guys on this forum knows a hell lot more than sales person over at CT. Having that said, does it mean they will actually make something for the Type S owners? I do hope ussi manage to get his car working and runs smoothly. (by the way, there is a blue S/C'd accord on youtube, is that yours? Sounds good sir.

stillhere153, who is craig?