REAL 3.5L Superchared :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't rock rsx-s injectors, but I would rock k-series rc injectors hint hint craig
Old 10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
The acm is essentially a voltage clamp. If the PCM reads higher than atmospheric pressure it will code. Superchargers will create boost or in other words higher than atmospheric pressure. The ACM locks the max voltage to 2.92 which keeps the computer happy. On the older S/C kits I did I never got an upgraded fuel pump with the kit. Only that cheesy enrichment method of squishing the regulator. Have the added that to the newer kits?
Hmmm... if this clamps the voltage at the max to provide max fuel output, can't we just mess around with the o2 sensors to make the car think its running to lean?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
wait wait wait... wait a minute

so if the ACM only does the MAP ??? then why the hell cant i use that ACM on my TL-S ? if just splice into the MAP wires???
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Hmmm... if this clamps the voltage at the max to provide max fuel output, can't we just mess around with the o2 sensors to make the car think its running to lean?
I have thought of that already. It wouldnt be that hard. Since our A/F sensors relay A/F data to the pcm in dc current modifying those signals would be a piece of cake. From a tuning standpoint secondary A/F sensors would be needed to see how the car is really running. I am not sold on devices that modify map sensor voltage IE Apexi NEO. I am not even sure if the PCM reads off the map under WOT. At any rate the PCM would be looking for atmospheric pressure anyway. Since our fuel trims are derived primarily from A/F readings (that I am sure of) any controlled adjustment of those signals will result in direct A/F changes. So good thinking CSMEANCE!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
wait wait wait... wait a minute

so if the ACM only does the MAP ??? then why the hell cant i use that ACM on my TL-S ? if just splice into the MAP wires???
You can but why would you want to? Its designed to to keep the PCM from seeing boost pressure produced by S/Cs.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I have car ADD

^ pretty much... i need to get a s/c kit on my type-s and make it work... lol

everybody says the ACM wont work... but.... if its just tapping into 4 wires.. .well, 2 technically , since +12v & ground dont count.... map in/map out.... i should be able to directly bolt the s/c kit onto my car then!!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

^ pretty much... i need to get a s/c kit on my type-s and make it work... lol

everybody says the ACM wont work... but.... if its just tapping into 4 wires.. .well, 2 technically , since +12v & ground dont count.... map in/map out.... i should be able to directly bolt the s/c kit onto my car then!!
Oh sure then. If you are building your own S/C kit than its perfect. I forgot you told me that. Then I am def gonna have to up my jetting. Dont want you gettin too close lol!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Now that my car has been wrecked I'm thinking of a project. I've got too many stock turbos laying around here. Only difference is I wouldn't think of screwing with the Acura computer. Going to go with the old Motec I have or an old FAST system and eliminate the stock computer. Just got to find out exactly how much the stock computer is tied into the other systems which I have a bad feeling it's a lot.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:57 PM
I have car ADD

so if i buy a comptech s/c.... and get the wiring pinouts for MAP, and hook up the ACM, it should work ??

from what i recall, comptech said everything hooked up right, but didnt show massive gains ? i am sure it was a stock type-s, so a fully bolted one, should show gains? i am looking to get about 40-50 whp from the kit... then ill be thrilled =)
Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 PM
'10 Shelby

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Allon, whenever your ready to start the project just let me know lol, im fully down to help in anyway possible hah.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

so if i buy a comptech s/c.... and get the wiring pinouts for MAP, and hook up the ACM, it should work ??

from what i recall, comptech said everything hooked up right, but didnt show massive gains ? i am sure it was a stock type-s, so a fully bolted one, should show gains? i am looking to get about 40-50 whp from the kit... then ill be thrilled =)
You need to find someone who has the little tool Ctech sends for "crushing" the fuel pressure regulator to bump up fuel pressure. Without that you may end up like USSI. I can get you the pinouts for the map. Thats no thing. May want to upgrade your fuel pump as well. Soooooo get the blower, install it, hook up the ACM, adjust the fuel pressure, and upgrade the pump...and yeah simple as that. Then with all that youll have a better chance at "keeping up" with me. oh damn. I keep flinging tomatoes at you. Your gonna bang me out like two grand to clear my lights lol!! I am just playin. Def would love to see your ride with a blower. One thing I did think of is DO YOUR CLUTCH with an upgraded one BEFORE you install that thing. I charge double when I have to do a clutch on a blown Acura. That whole setup wreaks havoc on clutch replacement! May want to go a heat range cooler on your plugs too while you are there. PITA to do those front plugs with that thing on there as well.
P.S. If you do end up with that thing on your car I WILL be going with at least 100 shot just in case!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:14 PM
I have car ADD

^ 5AT for the lose

nokiaboy was selling a blower, but i slept on it.. now its gone.. i dont wanna buy a new one, just for fear it doesnt work well...

well, the newer 3.2L blowers (UA6) have more than just 4 wires from the ACM...it appears to control MAP, VTEC, and Fuel trim.... (as per Nate @ comptech)

I am currently looking over the installation instructions... and preparing for deployment!!

On a final note.. the main reason that comptech hadnt gone into serious production with this... again, as per Nate

1) RUMOR. they have never bolted one up to the type-s
2) They fear the M62 blower wont provide enough power for the 3.5L displacement. M90 seemed to be on their minds
3) The only mounting point for the blower, is the transmission mount... so, it should bolt right up to our cars and TB with absolutely NO PROBLEMS.

USSI, sorry to jump in your thread so much.. but everytime theres a 3.5L s/c thread, it gets polluted, or nobody with knowledge jumps in.. i like this thread
Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I have car ADD

can all my fellow a'ziners and gear-heads see what they can do about finding me the ECU pinout/diagram for an 08 Type-S ??

I'm gonna head to Rallye tomorrow and see if one of the guys can find it or give my a copy of it....

to be the first s/c type-s !!!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
USSI, sorry to jump in your thread so much.. but everytime theres a 3.5L s/c thread, it gets polluted, or nobody with knowledge jumps in.. i like this thread
Haha no worried dude I want other guys with 3.5L S/c so i'm not smoking ALL ya'll haha

Seriously, this sounds like it has potential, but as stated earlier the m62 is slightly small even for the 3.2L. Comptech won't necessarily tell you this but one of the main reasons with going with the m62 is just because there isn't that much room in the engine bay! LAME. Obviously other factors come into play as well, $cost$ for a bigger blower, max SAFE power levels, etc, but I mean just for efficiency it makes more sense for a bigger blower. So jumping to a 3.5L with a m62 you will pull less PSI with the same blower. So the % increase in power won't necessarily increase.

Not that this isn't a valid venture bc with some tuning it would be awesome to make more power. Essentially I have a similar motor to the Type-S guys and I'm sure i'll be putting down some solid power once I get my demons sorted out. But tuning wise our cars are extremellllly tricky, these ECU's are just ridiculous, you can't fool them. Even with my car weird things would happen during tuning - there would be ZERO pinging on the dyno, then on the fwy it would ping, so we'd keep pulling timing.

But lets get it on as the first step! I dont remember what pins go in there bc I haven't run the ACM in almost a year. Then we can up the boost and try messing with tuning options..I can't wait to get my car back and running perfect its been soooooo longggg
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

can all my fellow a'ziners and gear-heads see what they can do about finding me the ECU pinout/diagram for an 08 Type-S ??

I'm gonna head to Rallye tomorrow and see if one of the guys can find it or give my a copy of it....

to be the first s/c type-s !!!
ECM B+= A4 YELLOW/BLACK IGB+= D6 BLACK/GREEN MAP IN= C5 GREEN/RED MAP REF OUT= C6 YEL/RED GROUND= A1 BLACK. I have it in front of me so if you want Ill scan the pinouts and emailt them to you but there a little tricky to understand.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 PM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
The AEM FIC does exactly that and works with our WBO2 sensors as well as gives injector control and single settting change for larger injectors to provide good idle, low rpm running, as well as timing retard, but the biggest thing is that it does add two channels of O2 modification.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
The AEM FIC does exactly that and works with our WBO2 sensors as well as gives injector control and single settting change for larger injectors to provide good idle, low rpm running, as well as timing retard, but the biggest thing is that it does add two channels of O2 modification.
Sounds like this is the way to go over the Emanage. Ill have to do some homework on the unit. Does the FIC have any (or multiple) rpm activated triggers? If it did then you can adjust the vtec engagement points as well. Also does it adjust duty cycle via the PCM or does it do it by connecting a secondary wire to each injector?
PS didnt forget about those files. Trying to locate a newer disc to get them from.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I have one major question to ask, Power Rev racing has a J motor in their hatch thats turbo'ed, what tuning are they using????

Also quick edit:
Can't we hook up a j37 ECU to the TL-S's for the extra fuel? Also racinghart, does the SM have the max voltage for the MAP sensor under troubleshooting? If it does what is it? If it's different, nate at CT might be able to reprogram the ACM for the new voltage.

Also blackura_NY mentioned VTEC, Fuel trim and some other wires. Does anyone have install instructions they can send to me, I have a few guys that might be able to help us out...
Old 10-23-2008, 12:54 AM
I have car ADD

^ I believe a full stinger EMS stand-alone system.... big $$$$

i have the install .pdf for the s/c for 04-06 TL
Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Wish I was in Montreal right now... with a stock type-s and c/t s/c.
We have a dedicated Honda Tuning shop... and they seem very reputable to honda/acura MTLers.

Also--if we were to disengage/remove VTEC completely.... what opportunities would rise up, if any?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Burning Brakes

I have one major question to ask, Power Rev racing has a J motor in their hatch thats turbo'ed, what tuning are they using????

Also quick edit:
Can't we hook up a j37 ECU to the TL-S's for the extra fuel? Also racinghart, does the SM have the max voltage for the MAP sensor under troubleshooting? If it does what is it? If it's different, nate at CT might be able to reprogram the ACM for the new voltage.

Also blackura_NY mentioned VTEC, Fuel trim and some other wires. Does anyone have install instructions they can send to me, I have a few guys that might be able to help us out...
I know that the max reading is 2.92. Most (even Ctech) rounds it up to 3. If you hook up a scan tool and turn the key to on you will see your barometric and map sensors reading about 2.92. Not sure if the TLS PCM will give more fuel that way due to the fact the the fuel trims are determined by the A/F sensors. I am also curious to see ACM modifies fuel trims. If tje ONLY PGMFI sensors it connects to are the MAP and VTEC and it acutally WORKS than its not unlikely that the APEXi AFC will work as well. (which I would prefer because it has real time adjustment. I just dont know enough about the ACM and what it does and Ctechs site doesnt give a whole lotta insight either. I remember speaking to P2R when I was putting my GSR engine in my daily driver Civic EK hatch and they are running a full stand alone system on their TL engine. Just dont remember which model it was.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
Sounds like this is the way to go over the Emanage. Ill have to do some homework on the unit. Does the FIC have any (or multiple) rpm activated triggers? If it did then you can adjust the vtec engagement points as well. Also does it adjust duty cycle via the PCM or does it do it by connecting a secondary wire to each injector?
PS didnt forget about those files. Trying to locate a newer disc to get them from.
Yes it has multiple maps that you can setup so that you can even only trigger VTEC based on RPM X LOAD and not just a stright RPM switch, in other words, why would you really want vtec to always engague at lets say 4500 RPM if you only have the throttle 1/3-1/2 pressed, but at the same point, you might want to engauge VTEC at 3500-4000RPM if you have you foot in the throttle. Honda started implementing this type of startagey to thier stock maps around the 6th gen accord and 2nd gen TL/CL and the implementation has really become noticable in the 3rd gen TL and 7th gen AV6.

The FIC (no I am not a AEM salesman, nor distributer, nor sponsered by them) just like the EMB and EMU intercepts and stands between the ECU and injectors there by allowing full control of the fuel stratagey by being able to fully control injector duty cycle. This of course allows for pulling duty cycle under low demand cases when you change to higher flowing injectors.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Smile

Yes it has multiple maps that you can setup so that you can even only trigger VTEC based on RPM X LOAD and not just a stright RPM switch, in other words, why would you really want vtec to always engague at lets say 4500 RPM if you only have the throttle 1/3-1/2 pressed, but at the same point, you might want to engauge VTEC at 3500-4000RPM if you have you foot in the throttle. Honda started implementing this type of startagey to thier stock maps around the 6th gen accord and 2nd gen TL/CL and the implementation has really become noticable in the 3rd gen TL and 7th gen AV6.

The FIC (no I am not a AEM salesman, nor distributer, nor sponsered by them) just like the EMB and EMU intercepts and stands between the ECU and injectors there by allowing full control of the fuel stratagey by being able to fully control injector duty cycle. This of course allows for pulling duty cycle under low demand cases when you change to higher flowing injectors.
As I originally stated.. Aem FI vs any piggyback I have seen = a no brainer. Ill spend a little time on AEMs site checking it out today. Ill report back when I have the full scoop. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

One downside so far is that Boomslang does not make an FIC harness for our cars. I will call them to see about the option since they do make it for a bunch of other HONDA and Acuras.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 AM
BANNED

They will make it, but it will not have proper VTEC control, again I just usually get the extension and wire it myself from there.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

As per aem.
Fuel / Ignition Controller (F/IC)*
Fuel and Ignition Controller for 4-to-8 Cylinder Racecar Applications

The AEM F/IC is an economical solution for controlling fuel and ignition on vehicles that do not require stand-alone engine management, including variable cam timing engines like VTEC, VVTi and MiVEC.

*Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway.

OVERVIEW

The F/IC gives users with OBD-II race vehicles and non-factory forced induction systems the ability to retard ignition and deliver accurate amounts of fuel without the need for outdated FMUs or “boost hiding” controllers. This system works parallel to the factory ECU preventing tuning limitations due to complex factory timing patterns. 21x17 maps with configurable load and RPM breakpoints are easily accessed with the F/IC's Windows-based tuning software. The F/IC draws power from PC USB interface for quick and easy calibration changes.

PRECISE FUEL DELIVERY

The F/IC intercepts the signal to the stock injectors, allowing the user to modify pulse-width by +/-100%. The F/IC is the only piggy-back system that can decrease injector pulse-width, allowing the user to drive larger aftermarket injectors* while still maintaining proper air / fuel ratios. This powerful system can also tap into the factory injector signal and work independently to drive up to six (6) additional injectors.

TIMING RETARD CONTROL

The F/IC has the ability to retard timing by intercepting and delaying the outputs from the cam and crank position sensors to the engine- with no adverse affect on applications equipped with variable cam timing. The F/IC can retard timing from the factory system based on engine RPM and load inputs.

SENSOR CALIBRATION & CONTROL

The F/IC can also be used to recalibrate / clamp the MAF sensor, eliminating common problems with non-boosted factory MAFs. The on-board MAP sensor allows for proper fueling in boosted conditions.

CAN-BUS SYSTEMS NOT AFFECTED

Since the F/IC works in conjunction with the factory ECU, late model-vehicles equipped with a CAN-BUS system retain functionality of climate controls, dash and other components on the network.

PRODUCT COMPARISON : F/IC-6 AND F/IC-8

FEATURES F/IC-6 F/IC-8
Injector Channels 6 8
Advanced Injector Load Simulation & Filtering No Yes
Timing Channels (Cam + Crank) 3 5
High/Low Voltage Selectable MAG-Driver Outputs No Yes
TPS Input Yes Yes
MAP Sensor (Onboard) Yes Yes
MAP (0-5v Intercept) Yes Yes
MAF (0-5v Intercept) Yes Yes
Frequency Based Flow Meter Support No Yes*
Speedometer Recalibrator No Yes*
o2 Sensor Remapping Yes Yes
External AFR Input Yes Yes
Generic 0-5v Remappers 2 2
Boost Controller (Requires AEM 30-2400 Solenoid) No Yes
IAT Logging Input No Yes
PC Datalogging Yes Yes
Internal Logging Memory 64 Kb 2 Mb
Hey Blackura. May have the map voltage clamp too. Would eliminate the need for the ACM!
Only downside so far...Our cars nor the V6 Accord are listed in the known good test performed section.

Last edited by RACINGHART03; 10-23-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 AM
BANNED

Can't we hook up a j37 ECU to the TL-S's for the extra fuel?
J37 ECU would be a no go, it has AWD controls and even if hooked up to a AT, it still would not be getting the AWD feedback it is looking for a probably throw codes, I tried doing something simular on a 3.5L 6th gen with a Pilot ECU and ended up in this position, so I changed out the ECU he got with one from a Oddy.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 AM
BANNED

This has been installed on a 7th gen and a couple 3rd gen TLs. If you search the forums you will find a couple of installs, also at least the AEM field engineer (yes I was actually able to get thru to a knowledgable person at AEM unlike Greedy) I talked to for a good 1/2 hour knew of several sucessful honda V6 installs.

Last edited by NVA-AV6; 10-23-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 AM
BANNED

Oh, one other FIC install note, 7th gen AV6 and 3rd GEN TLs have 1 cam sensor and 2 crank sensors, so you need to hook up CKP B to the second cam signal.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

This has been installed on a 7th gen and a couple 3rd gen TLs. If you search the forums you will find a couple of installs, also at least the AEM field engineer (yes I was actually able to get thru to a knowledgable person at AEM unlike Greedy) I talked to for a good 1/2 hour knew of several sucessful honda V6 installs.
I def agree that it could work. Just wish AEM had listed on its compatibilty chart. This way I wouldnt have to figure the whole thing out myself lol.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
BANNED

The three things the FIC lacks compared to the EMU that I wish it had is....

1) Self tune mode, the EMU can take WBO2 reading and adjust a map according to the AFR set in the map, really nice for start-up.
2) Knock sensor input
3) Timing advance, alot of my franken-engine builds stay NA, it would be nice to be able to tune timing advance, although I am working on a solution for this

But at least the damn thing works with our ignition setup and you can actually talk to a knowledgeable person unlike the EMU. The EMU has great capabilities, but due to lack of support from Greedy for our crank trigger wheel setup it just does not work for our cars for ignition.

But there is one key thing the FIC does have that none of the others I have seen do, it will modify our O2 sensor siganls to keep our ECU from de-tuining or getting upset.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

1) Self tune mode, the EMU can take WBO2 reading and adjust a map according to the AFR set in the map, really nice for start-up.
2) Knock sensor input
3) Timing advance, alot of my franken-engine builds stay NA, it would be nice to be able to tune timing advance, although I am working on a solution for this

But at least the damn thing works with our ignition setup and you can actually talk to a knowledgeable person unlike the EMU. The EMU has great capabilities, but due to lack of support from Greedy for our crank trigger wheel setup it just does not work for our cars for ignition.

But there is one key thing the FIC does have that none of the others I have seen do, it will modify our O2 sensor siganls to keep our ECU from de-tuining or getting upset.
Yeah I thought that was strange too. Only controls timing retard. Eh works for me on the juice though!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
hey allon, if you do buy the charger I suggest getting together with craig, muscle man knows his stuff

oh and it helps you can say your charger is dealer installed ROFL
Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stillhere153
hey allon, if you do buy the charger I suggest getting together with craig, muscle man knows his stuff

oh and it helps you can say your charger is dealer installed ROFL
Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Now that my car has been wrecked I'm thinking of a project. I've got too many stock turbos laying around here. Only difference is I wouldn't think of screwing with the Acura computer. Going to go with the old Motec I have or an old FAST system and eliminate the stock computer. Just got to find out exactly how much the stock computer is tied into the other systems which I have a bad feeling it's a lot.
what the hell happened???
Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is it possible to make the m90 work on the 3.2? what about port and polishing the m62? would we see any difference there?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 PM
I have car ADD

^ one or two pages back, NVA-AV6 mentioned sending the blower out to a company who can replace it with a M90....i think the biggest problem is, the M90 is too big
Old 10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, its a different process to port & polish a blower. It will help, not all machine shops will do it, or do it right for that matter.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^ I believe a full stinger EMS stand-alone system.... big $$$$

i have the install .pdf for the s/c for 04-06 TL
He took the motor out of the cvcc and is trying to sell it. He was using the stinger. EMS has a new product that is designed specifically for a 6 cylinder. the 6860. It has the same features as the 8860. I've found the 6860 to be about 200.00 less than the 8860, about 1200.00. I'm going to use it on my project car. One obstacle you'd have to overcome are the cam gears, other than that, it'd be interesting to see someone adapt this to one of these TL's.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolutely, if you could degree the cams with custom cam gears, i'd speculate you'd see maybe 15-25 hp increase.

Quick Reply: REAL 3.5L Superchared :)