Questions about precat deletes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Questions about precat deletes

07 TL-S 6mt here. Running V2 CAI > XLR8 j-pipe (3rd cat delete) > Magnaflow resonator > deleted & straight-piped mid-muffler > stock

I'm certain this thread will garner several "search is your friend" replies & frankly, I deserve them as I'm sure this has been asked/answered a zillion times, but for some reason (most likely operator error) I'm not succeeding in locating the info I'm wanting. I'm searching for a little more power and wondering about precat deletes. If one of you old-timers don't mind re-re-reanswering the questions:

a) Is there any bang-for-buck power production to be had from PCDs, or is it more like the mid-muffler delete...great sound but probably about a .5 horsepower gain?
b) Does installing PCDs result in an appreciable amount of add'l soot out the tail pipes, causing blackening of the rear bumper & a noxious garage for about 5 minutes after starting her up?

thx
Old 03-09-2020, 06:10 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
With PCD's, your gonna know they're there, especially with no 3rd cat..

I had them on my old 3G which was straight piped to stock mufflers (previous owner) & it was loud, no question about it. I'm sure adding a resonator would of helped with the tone but that never happened.

As for bang for the buck power, you'll really feel it in the higher RPM's, just pulls so hard. You'll also more than likely feel a slight hit in the low end tq department. My 3G had a J35 swap & it was still noticeable but the high rpms made up for it.
The following users liked this post:
DerrickW (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Thanks, that's helpful. This is my daily driver, so I spend precious little time at high rpms and probably 85% of driving time at typical, 'around town' engine speeds, so losing on the low end to gain on the high doesn't sound like a solution that'll fit for me. May have to just bite the bullet, fork up some extra $ and get a Dom tune.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by DerrickW
Thanks, that's helpful. This is my daily driver, so I spend precious little time at high rpms and probably 85% of driving time at typical, 'around town' engine speeds, so losing on the low end to gain on the high doesn't sound like a solution that'll fit for me. May have to just bite the bullet, fork up some extra $ and get a Dom tune.
for what you want, get the manifold spacer from p2r. that and a tune and call it a day for your goals. your car will behave so differently with those 2
The following users liked this post:
DerrickW (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 02:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sockr1
get the manifold spacer from p2r.
Afraid I have to plead ignorance here. NO IDEA what that is. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm getting timing belt done next week so if the manifold spacer is more on the 'quick & easy' side I may get that done at the same time. ...if it will yield results w/o the tune, which (the tune) will have to wait until after we've redone the kitchen this spring. *ugh*
thx

Last edited by DerrickW; 03-11-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Long as I'm asking 'been asked a thousand times' questions...

Just had my timing belt & water pump done yesterday. Process revealed the motor mount on that side is shot, so I'm thinking replacing all 3 is up next. I know to stick with OEM for the rear one as this is my daily driver, I'm over 50 now & don't want a car that shakes like a cement mixer. But what's the consensus on the side mounts? Going a little stiffer gives a little more umph without serious ride degradation, correct? I know this comes up here every 30 seconds, but I'm not just fishing here - I'm going to order new ones any second.