Pulled the trigger on the supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the supercharger!

I'm having the charger installed this Wednesday but I gotta admit, I'm a little nervous. I went and got the car dyno'd this weekend (229 whp) so I can see how much the supercharger will give me.

The thing that worries me is that the car is currently running lean. The AFR is 14.36. When I told him I was adding the supercharger, he told me that i would definitely need to lower that AFR.

Will I be able to increase the amount of fuel using the Comptech ACM or will I need to use the Emanage Ultimate (or Blue)?

I'm pretty new to all this so what else would a "tune" consist of besides correcting the AFR? Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

I'll keep you guys posted on my thoughts of the supercharger after it's installed. I'm hoping to get it re-dyno'd in a couple weeks and will post numbers once I do.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Good news. I am planing to S/C my TL as well. The stock fuel pump will be compressed so when in boost you will get more fuel going in. Member here "I hate cars" which is very knowledgeable, suggested to add the 100% meth kit. That will take care of the detonation because the TL tends to run lean when in boost. Other option you have is if you have gas station that offer racing fuel - 100 octane. Mix 50/50 with 93 octane and you will be good to go.

I will wait for the experts to give more info on the subject.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Good luck with the supercharger. When are you getting it. I've read about the meth kit...what exactly is that? I'm assuming you have to refill it? Any idea how often?

So are you planning on trying to tune the car after the install? If so, which one were you planning on using and why?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apnorm
Good luck with the supercharger. When are you getting it. I've read about the meth kit...what exactly is that? I'm assuming you have to refill it? Any idea how often?

So are you planning on trying to tune the car after the install? If so, which one were you planning on using and why?
you only need meth when your REALLY beating on the car. if you leave it on all the time, you will run out in an hour. when we install meth kits we use the windshield washer fluid tank. its fairly large, and extremely easy to set up, no tubes to run through the car, just the pump and controller. and not to mention how easy it is to refill.

the main reason for meth is to cool the intake air temps on boosted car plus raise the octane thus stopping detonation. when running meth you see a 3-7% increase in HP
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
you only need meth when your REALLY beating on the car. if you leave it on all the time, you will run out in an hour. when we install meth kits we use the windshield washer fluid tank. its fairly large, and extremely easy to set up, no tubes to run through the car, just the pump and controller. and not to mention how easy it is to refill.

the main reason for meth is to cool the intake air temps on boosted car plus raise the octane thus stopping detonation. when running meth you see a 3-7% increase in HP
steve get me a price quote for the install, help out the azine amily.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
steve get me a price quote for the install, help out the azine amily.
maybe when you answer my visitor message i left u haha. i will and ill send u a text tomorrow. are you gunna buy the kit? and you should use the washer fluid tank so buy a kit with the smallest tank possible.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Web site that you recommend to buy the meth kit. Do you have in mind full meth or 50/50?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Burning Brakes

maybe when you answer my visitor message i left u haha. i will and ill send u a text tomorrow. are you gunna buy the kit? and you should use the washer fluid tank so buy a kit with the smallest tank possible.
BTW, where do we need to hook it up to cool down? Is it right before the S/C?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tihomirbg
Web site that you recommend to buy the meth kit. Do you have in mind full meth or 50/50?
http://www.snowperformance.net/

BTW, where do we need to hook it up to cool down? Is it right before the S/C?
noooo. you dont want anything going through the s/c. as close to the throttle body as possible, and always at a 90 degree angle from the air flow, so basically on a part of the tubing that is straight going into the throttle body

on a s/c its mainly used to raise the octane for the detonation issue, not really to cool it.

always full meth.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Are most s/c people adding the meth kit? I don't beat on the car all the time but I will occasionally open it up and may bring it to the 1/4 mile track once or twice a year.

greco - you mentioned "if you leave it on all the time...". Is there a switch you would mount inside your car to turn it on/off?

I went to snowperformance to look up the meth kit with no luck. Is this the Boost Cooler???

Last edited by apnorm; 06-15-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Are most s/c people adding the meth kit? I don't beat on the car all the time but I will occasionally open it up and may bring it to the 1/4 mile track once or twice a year.

greco - you mentioned "if you leave it on all the time...". Is there a switch you would mount inside your car to turn it on/off?

I went to snowperformance to look up the meth kit with no luck. Is this the Boost Cooler???
I know some that are S/C'ed are using meth.

Can any of you show a pic where is the perfect location to be installed?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
You don't really need the water/meth kit for the S/C kit in stock form. If you run a high boost pulley then it will be necessary but not as it sits. The ACM and the raising of the fuel pressure raise the A/F ratios enough to compensate for the fuel needed. If you are concerned get a wideband A/F ratio gauge to monitor your readings.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I would actually run the water/meth even in stock SC setup,
A few $$$ will save you a torn apart bottom end.
All it takes is, running lean for a split second when ur at 6500 rpm, and there go ur ring lands.... goodluck! if you wonder how i know this....well lets just say it happened to me twice.... and i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other ppl are running their SC'ed TLs with cracked ring lands and dont even know it.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info Opel. Do you have the stock size pulley?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have the stock size pulley laying around somewhere lol.... currently im running 6.5 psi..... just in the process of getting a 9.5 psi pulley
Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Opel
i have the stock size pulley laying around somewhere lol.... currently im running 6.5 psi..... just in the process of getting a 9.5 psi pulley
Do you currently have any meth kit in?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts

What are you using for tuning at the moment?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hi speed
What are you using for tuning at the moment?
Hey, I was waiting for you to show here. I remember that you were going to buy the meth kit. Did you? And if you did would you be able to show a pic were exactly you mounted it so to get the best cooling effect?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do they use to control fuel (and timing)? Is the ACM just a rising rate fuel pressure regulator or something else?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, i have the meth/water kit running, and as far as tune...im still on stock ecu/acm

but i have 9.5:1 compression, forged pistons.

I just joined this thing, if u couldn't tell, this is my 3rd post... i can't believe ive never subscribed to any forums, and ive had my car since the first month the 3rd gen came out...its been 5.5 years lol.

btw...this is my strongest recommendation to everyone.... just in case this hasn't been up in the air before.......
DO NOT USE the denso spark plugs supplied by CT with your supercharger kit. If you are using them, change them NOW.

the electrode insulator breaks inside the combustion chamber from the heat, and once that happens, you will be running with faulty spark plugs, which can lead to a whole lotta crap happening, such as pre-ignition, exessive combustion room temps which can lean out the motor...and ur pistons are next.

Im using NGK's 2 steps colder than stock... (the denso plug from CT is one step colder than stock, and its a piece of crap)

just thought Id share this...

cheers:
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
woo hoo i might another one pullin the trigger on a S/C myself!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, i have the meth/water kit running, and as far as tune...im still on stock ecu/acm

I just joined this thing, if u couldn't tell, this is my 3rd post... i can't believe ive never subscribed to any forums, and ive had my car since the first month the 3rd gen came out...its been 5.5 years lol.

btw...this is my strongest recommendation to everyone.... just in case this hasn't been up in the air before.......
DO NOT USE the denso spark plugs supplied by CT with your supercharger kit. If you are using them, change them NOW.

the electrode insulator breaks inside the combustion chamber from the heat, and once that happens, you will be running with faulty spark plugs, which can lead to a whole lotta crap happening, such as pre-ignition, exessive combustion room temps which can lean out the motor...and ur pistons are next.

Im using NGK's 2 steps colder than stock... (the denso plug from CT is one step colder than stock, and its a piece of crap)

cheers:
LOL, good info you have there. Where did you get the spark plugs from?

Since you have the meth kit on (is it the snowperformance one) would you be able to show a pic where the best location is to cool down?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 PM
runnin a little boost

Hey, I was waiting for you to show here. I remember that you were going to buy the meth kit. Did you? And if you did would you be able to show a pic were exactly you mounted it so to get the best cooling effect?
I haven't installed the meth yet. I need to get my gauges up and running first before I can install the meth kit. I also have been waiting for a real tuning option to come along to take full advantage of the meth since I am injecting straight meth.

I spoke to the guy at Alkycontrol and he said to wait on the methanol until I figure out what I should use to tune with.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts

cheers:
NGK are what spark plugs that has been in our cars since the beginning
Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

OPEL, are you talking about the NGK Laser Iridium Long Life plugs?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I haven't installed the meth yet. I need to get my gauges up and running first before I can install the meth kit. I also have been waiting for a real tuning option to come along to take full advantage of the meth since I am injecting straight meth.

I spoke to the guy at Alkycontrol and he said to wait on the methanol until I figure out what I should use to tune with.
How is the TL running now? You have the S/C with the ACM that comes? and nothing else?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
NGK are what spark plugs that has been in our cars since the beginning
I think he said 2 steps colder than stock.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanks Tiho....ive been through too much with my car...i dont think even a performance shop has lol...

you can either call NGK and ask for a part number for 2 steps colder from stock for ur car, and have ur local parts store order them for you, or you can wait for me to dig up the part number from the package i have somewhere in the car (i knew id need them so i saved it lol)

and as far as the meth kit goes...yes it is snow performance....a stage 2 i believe which comes with the control module which ur able to set based on the boost... a vacuum line hooks up to it and u have 2 settings ...first one u can have it start spraying say at 2 psi, and have the 2nd setting set at 4 psi, which will spray on full blast. and a cool green LED right by my boost gauge on the pillar, which blinds me when its spraying lol.

nozzle location would be best on the elbow right before the intake manifold at 90 degrees.... if ur patient i will snap a pic and show you.

also with the kit you will need the solenoid valve, (doesnt come with the kit) to prevent siphoning...bcs the nozzle will be installed after the throttle body (remember the TB mouns on the SC) so the line is exposed at full vaccuum, lets say at idle.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Drifting

you can add a switch into the power wire that goes to the meth controller, and mount it anywhere you want, which is probably the way to go.

its the stage 2 boost cooler. stage 1 is no good since its for n/a cars

thats a good idea, except tuning just isnt there. aem fi/c might not be enough to change the timing and what not.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, the NGKs....same as stock plugs...the laser iridiums... ur car would run like crap on anything else. the denso plugs from CT are also laser iridiums....and believe me...NGKs are the best.... just get 1-2 steps colder than stock. i pulled out a total of 5 denso plugs that had broken electrode insulators. first time 2 of them, and second time, 3 of them.... and wherever i pulled out a broken denso plug, thats where the piston had broken ring lands..... yes i know im supplying some scary info...but it happened to me TWICE

The car runs better than ever, and YES, its still with the ACM from CT
currently only running 6.5 psi, with a/f in the mid 12s
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

cheers:
I wonder if anyone else had issues with the denso plugs? I've been reading so many threads lately but I don't believe I've seen this anywhere else. Actually, I didn't even know they supplied the plugs.

Is anyone else going 2 steps colder vs. the supplied 1 step colder plugs? I'm getting the supercharger installed on Wednesday and want to get the plugs if necesseary to save on the installation charge.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
runnin a little boost

How is the TL running now? You have the S/C with the ACM that comes? and nothing else?
It runs great. I usualy leave the traction control on not thinking it made much difference. The car still spins in 1st thru 3rd with it on, the spin just stops more quickly. I turned it off at a light on friday leaving work and wow the car smoked thru 70 mph getting on the freeway and I am using the stock pulley.

The meth comes in on the long runs with a m6 on the freeway.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Drifting

thanks Tiho....ive been through too much with my car...i dont think even a performance shop has lol...

you can either call NGK and ask for a part number for 2 steps colder from stock for ur car, and have ur local parts store order them for you, or you can wait for me to dig up the part number from the package i have somewhere in the car (i knew id need them so i saved it lol)

and as far as the meth kit goes...yes it is snow performance....a stage 2 i believe which comes with the control module which ur able to set based on the boost... a vacuum line hooks up to it and u have 2 settings ...first one u can have it start spraying say at 2 psi, and have the 2nd setting set at 4 psi, which will spray on full blast. and a cool green LED right by my boost gauge on the pillar, which blinds me when its spraying lol.

nozzle location would be best on the elbow right before the intake manifold at 90 degrees.... if ur patient i will snap a pic and show you.

also with the kit you will need the solenoid valve, (doesnt come with the kit) to prevent siphoning...bcs the nozzle will be installed after the throttle body (remember the TB mouns on the SC) so the line is exposed at full vaccuum, lets say at idle.
im pretty sure this kit comes wit a buzzer too lol. i cant remember off the top of my head.

gauges would be ideal with the lights but its not needed. its more for show than anything. only thing that plays a semi important part is a wideband gauge.

its all about the RPM's where the boost is at. spray with rpm too low you will throw CEL's all day long, such as cylinder misfiring
Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I am a patient guy. Please, if you can, get the part numbers for the NGK plugs and a pic would be really appreciated.

Did you have to rill the elbow to secure it?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

greco, neither one of them happens to me...and no, they';re not just for show....if ur meth pump blows the fuse...u wouldn't know...how would u know ur spraying? so there comes the light...anyhow...whatever floats everyone's boat i guess... and if u get the right meth setup...it wont just spray, unless ur under boost
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

im pretty sure this kit comes wit a buzzer too lol. i cant remember off the top of my head.

gauges would be ideal with the lights but its not needed. its more for show than anything. only thing that plays a semi important part is a wideband gauge.

its all about the RPM's where the boost is at. spray with rpm too low you will throw CEL's all day long, such as cylinder misfiring
So, what is the best way to set this kit? I mean the min and max? Well the max is at 4 - 5psi but the min when to start spraying?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Drifting

i completely disagree. the best spot on our car is on the p2r tb spacer. there are ports on the sides of it. it will be stronger than the drilled and tapped hole on the intake tube. nozzle requires cleaning one per year.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Drifting

So, what is the best way to set this kit? I mean the min and max? Well the max is at 4 - 5psi but the min when to start spraying?
on the tl i have no idea. at the LEAST 3500rpms. going by full boost at 6.5psi. that would roughly be 4psi, maybe. its very hard to guess
Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

well, the SC doesnt really give u much window to play with...the thing goes on max psi quickly...id have it start spraying at say-2-and full blast at 3.5.... but with that kinda psi window...theres not enough window for it to make a difference like that.... it matters more when you want it to start spraying...and i think 2-3 is good start
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

i completely disagree. the best spot on our car is on the p2r tb spacer. there are ports on the sides of it. it will be stronger than the drilled and tapped hole on the intake tube. nozzle requires cleaning one per year.
So, hold on, are you saying that there will be a need of spacer as well? If that is the case then I need to get one. But is it going to fit? Because I know it goes right in the TB opening.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on the supercharger!