Pulled the trigger on the supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
btw...how can i fit my mods list into the signature line.... it wouldn't let me when i tried...there was a limit of how much i could type in there lol...apparently not enough space for me
Old 06-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
btw...how can i fit my mods list into the signature line.... it wouldn't let me when i tried...there was a limit of how much i could type in there lol...apparently not enough space for me
too much mods, eh? Hehe

Yes there is a limit how much you can fit.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Burning Brakes

BTW, where are you located. I guess I missed that.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
$5000 for the SC kit on a stock setup with 4-5 psi only makes....the most and thats pushing it 70 Whp..... what you do with the rest of the car is another thing and involves more money being spent... if you took that kit and installed it on a bone stock TL...it will not make an additional 100+ whp as u claim, 100 whp with only 4-5 psi on a v6 with no proper tune would be supernatural, unless you had 13.0:1 compression ... im making 370 WHP on 6.5 psi...but there's more than just a SC..... so if u wanna look at it... im making 150 additional WHP...but it aint SC alone and it also aint stock boost level either
You generally pay $100 per hp so the CT kit is in fact over the industry standard. You can make more boost but you will need a custom tune and likely some water/methanol and a piggy back unit like hte AEM FI/C.

The kit makes anywhere form 60-85whp depending on the car (just the S/C alone). With supporting mods (exhaust, j-pipe, high flow cat, modified intake, pulley) you can get 310-330whp (look at some of the dynos).

Also the kit lists for $5k. We sell them for $4300-$4500. From an installer's perspective the kit is a dream come true. Everything fits. Everything is machined very well and everything works. And it can be installed in one day. For the consumer it's an easy 100 hp that still maintains the reliability and driveability of the vehicle. And the CT kit has a warranty and sometimes Acura dealers will install them and help you keep your factory warranty.

So, I think the CT Supercharger kit is worth every penny.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by apnorm
Overall very happy with the purchase and big thanks to Josh and his mechanic (sorry - forgot his name already).
You're welcome and enjoy the new mods.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
its very hard, man.... there's no 1st and 2nd gear AT ALL,
rolling on 2nd and just punching it from like 3400 rpm , breaks the tires loose all the way to 7000....and im talking about really good tires, in the summer heat where the tires grab

btw....you ever hear one with open downpipe? lol..... SCARYYYYYYY
why do you think ive never tried to install the HBP? lol i cant even get the power to the ground effectively with 330hp. :/
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Im sure I'll get blasted for asking this but why not

I mean I do love this car to death, but if your really going for maximum whp wouldnt it just make sense to spend the extra money on perhaps a faster car? Granted you most likely would not get something as nice as the TL in terms of features and stuff. What about a S/C RX8. It would get over 300 HP with the kit and thats only 5000. Plus the RX8 is cheaper to begin with. (Please dont kill me, just wanted to hear some opinions....make me appreciate my car even more!)
Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
About 6k...that included the kit, coolant, battery, j-pipe and he also had to remove the e-shift procats and replace them with the stock ones.
(FYI - it was a little painful writing this...6k...ugghhh.)
I sure hope not. Did you mean they replaced the stock cats with pro-cats?
If they removed the hi flow cats( pro cats ) and installed the stock ones that would just kill the power.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lucnex

I mean I do love this car to death, but if your really going for maximum whp wouldnt it just make sense to spend the extra money on perhaps a faster car? Granted you most likely would not get something as nice as the TL in terms of features and stuff. What about a S/C RX8. It would get over 300 HP with the kit and thats only 5000. Plus the RX8 is cheaper to begin with. (Please dont kill me, just wanted to hear some opinions....make me appreciate my car even more!)
The RX-8 really isn't that inexpensive. I was looking at one a few years ago and they are $30k and they have absolutely no torque. And the RX8 is now here near as luxurious as the TL. I could see if you said a 335i or something similar.

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I sure hope not. Did you mean they replaced the stock cats with pro-cats?
If they removed the hi flow cats( pro cats ) and installed the stock ones that would just kill the power.
One of the Pro-Cats had a loose substrate so we did remove the primary Pro-Cats. The rear Pro Cat was actually fine; the front substrate was still intact, just moving around. The third Pro-Cat was left in place. I didn't want to have one free flowing primary cat and one stock one.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
runnin a little boost

A big part of the alure of the Supercharger kit for the TL is that very few have it. You can have a car that is vastly superior to any BMW, lexus or what ever, in every aspect. While having the power of much more expensive and purpose built performance sedans, like the m3, m5.

I did a few runs the other night with a new M3 and he was not going anywhere. I wouldn't tangle with him in the twistys but I will leave him on the freeway.

As far as the Mazda thing, the rx8 is a joke. You can buy a faster car, but its going to cost you a lot more and it will never be as reliable or nice as the TL.
The supercharged TL is Honda's answer to the M5.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

... The supercharged TL is Honda's answer to the M5.
I like that LOL
Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 PM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by Excelerate
One of the Pro-Cats had a loose substrate so we did remove the primary Pro-Cats. The rear Pro Cat was actually fine; the front substrate was still intact, just moving around. The third Pro-Cat was left in place. I didn't want to have one free flowing primary cat and one stock one.
That sucks, can he get the pro cats rebuilt? I never used my third pro cat if you guys can use it to rebuilt his, hit me up. I hate the idea of having to run stock cats with the blower, especialy if you had pro cats. Pro cats along with the ATLP exhaust made a huge increase in performance for me.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharged tl ftmfw
Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Has anyone read about the NSX replacement that Acura is releasing in 2011.....
You think anyone is gonna pay 130,000 for it?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 AM

As far as the Mazda thing, the rx8 is a joke. You can buy a faster car, but its going to cost you a lot more and it will never be as reliable or nice as the TL.
The supercharged TL is Honda's answer to the M5.
The M5 was a little out of the price range I was referring to. You can get a brand new Rx8 now for about 25,000. Add the 5,000 a S/C and you have about 320 HP for less than a bare stock TL would be. I mean for the money, would you even consider it? Granted I realize TL is a way nicer car.

Wouldn't a S/C TL destroy a 330i? I thought they were only pushing like 300 whp in a 3 liter?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 AM
runnin a little boost

The M5 was a little out of the price range I was referring to. You can get a brand new Rx8 now for about 25,000. Add the 5,000 a S/C and you have about 320 HP for less than a bare stock TL would be. I mean for the money, would you even consider it? Granted I realize TL is a way nicer car.

Wouldn't a S/C TL destroy a 330i? I thought they were only pushing like 300 whp in a 3 liter?
The fit and finsh of Acura is much better than that of Mazda. I like the luxury acura provides and the reliablity that comes along. I would roll a crx before a rx 8. The Wankle motor the RX 8 uses is not know for reliable operation or good gas mileage.

The 330i coment was more about moding a car at the same level. The TL will leave the 330i in stock form and destroy it in boosted form.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 AM

ooo gotcha. I totally agree on the Rx8, not nearly as appointed as the TL.

Someone will have to just get that NSX replacement in 2011 and race against an M5
Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So is RV6 pre-cat deltes the only answer to making for power since e-shift procats are produced anymore?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

I said a 335i which is bi turbo. With software and exhaust that car is easily over 400 hp and 400 tq.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:13 AM

I said a 335i which is bi turbo. With software and exhaust that car is easily over 400 hp and 400 tq.
well what do i know? haha
Old 06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
too bad that car has major turbo issues
Old 06-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrsteve
What M62 based supercharger kit sells for that low of a price? None. It isn't Comptech's fault the platform they're working with isn't ideal. (High compression, FWD, difficult ECU, etc). You guys aren't being realistic.

You are missing the point here. What we get for $5K does not even come close to $5K if you think about it. How much does it cost to CT Engineering to make the kit? I bet no more than $2K.

The point Opel and I am trying to make is for $5K on top of everything there should be a meth kit or fuel pump or better intake system.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tihomirbg
You are missing the point here. What we get for $5K does not even come close to $5K if you think about it. How much does it cost to CT Engineering to make the kit? I bet no more than $2K.

The point Opel and I am trying to make is for $5K on top of everything there should be a meth kit or fuel pump or better intake system.
CT didnt make the system, the SC is an Eaton root type
Magnuson mp62 with extended shaft.... all CT manufactured was...the SC intake housing (the part where the TB mounts) 3 mounting brackets, a stupid battery tray that doesnt even let you use ur own battery, which i threw away, and installed a RED OPTIMA in the trunk, a stupid ass sponge air filter, sucking up all the heat from the engine bay, as if the SC doesnt blow enough heat...a battery cable, some radiator hose, a funny looking coolant tank on a diet. and a stone age technology ACM, oh yeahhhhh...we could increase the fuel pressure by crushing the regulator... ahem, how about a goddamn pump???? oh yeah i forgot to mention the "one step colder denso spark plugs, the famous "IK22" which made its way in my shit list"

so now lets say, you got the SC, you made it up to that point, now ur gonna try and take advantage of its full potential...but as u climb ur way up...ur up against HEAT... that thing is a fucking oversized "hair dryer" ....so worry about keeping the temps down so u dont blow ur motors like i did twice.

to make the thing work requires more $$$$

so that my friends is CT engineering

65 whp from that, for $5000, and thats for the lucky few who install it themselves
Old 06-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW, where are you located. I guess I missed that.
timo:

im in NYC
Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess I have not done my homework on where exactly the SC is comming from. As OPEL has said, it is not CT that makes the SC but Eaton root type Magnuson mp62 with extended shaft.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

CT didnt make the system, the SC is an Eaton root type
Magnuson mp62 with extended shaft.... all CT manufactured was...the SC intake housing (the part where the TB mounts) 3 mounting brackets, a stupid battery tray that doesnt even let you use ur own battery, which i threw away, and installed a RED OPTIMA in the trunk, a stupid ass sponge air filter, sucking up all the heat from the engine bay, as if the SC doesnt blow enough heat...a battery cable, some radiator hose, a funny looking coolant tank on a diet. and a stone age technology ACM, oh yeahhhhh...we could increase the fuel pressure by crushing the regulator... ahem, how about a goddamn pump???? oh yeah i forgot to mention the "one step colder denso spark plugs, the famous "IK22" which made its way in my shit list"

so now lets say, you got the SC, you made it up to that point, now ur gonna try and take advantage of its full potential...but as u climb ur way up...ur up against HEAT... that thing is a fucking oversized "hair dryer" ....so worry about keeping the temps down so u dont blow ur motors like i did twice.

to make the thing work requires more $$$$

so that my friends is CT engineering

65 whp from that, for $5000, and thats for the lucky few who install it themselves
I have RED TOP right now and I am so happy with this battery. I will hate to loose it due to the SC.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

yes timo, i had the same case...i did initially buy the smaller battery...but it only lasted one week...i ran a cable to the trunk and installed the optima in there. oh and i have an 04 TL...bought in dec 2003, pretty much, one of the oldest 3rd g TLs on the street...so i have done plenty of homework on that thing....every kind of exhaust setup u can imagine, to straight pipes, to gutted cats, everything...and that was 5 years ago...what ppl are doing now lol....

i see the exhaust threads....i dont get it.... i would n ever, ever buy catback or mufflers or anything like that...ever...with $200-300 i have the best meanest sounding tl on the road

ct catback exhaust for 1300? are u fucking kidding me...these ppl are on crack
Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

yes timo, i had the same case...i did initially buy the smaller battery...but it only lasted one week...i ran a cable to the trunk and installed the optima in there. oh and i have an 04 TL...bought in dec 2003, pretty much, one of the oldest 3rd g TLs on the street...so i have done plenty of homework on that thing....every kind of exhaust setup u can imagine, to straight pipes, to gutted cats, everything...and that was 5 years ago...what ppl are doing now lol....

i see the exhaust threads....i dont get it.... i would n ever, ever buy catback or mufflers or anything like that...ever...with $200-300 i have the best meanest sounding tl on the road

ct catback exhaust for 1300? are u fucking kidding me...these ppl are on crack
What exhaust setup do you have? I like the idea of having mean sounding for $200-$300.

Tim
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

there no name for it...but its all custom...pretty much, i take the car to the muffler shop, and have them do what i want done....i have done all kinds of setups and combos. right now im flowing straight through, resonated.... i have an electric cutout right where 3rd cat used to be... when open...it sounds SCARY....the high rpm is incredible....raw motor sound. at the flick of a switch which i installed inside the shift knob lol
Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
there no name for it...but its all custom...pretty much, i take the car to the muffler shop, and have them do what i want done....i have done all kinds of setups and combos. right now im flowing straight through, resonated.... i have an electric cutout right where 3rd cat used to be... when open...it sounds SCARY....the high rpm is incredible....raw motor sound. at the flick of a switch which i installed inside the shift knob lol
sounds like youve done alot of work to your car Opel. post some pics of it when you get a chance

BTW, what kind of piping and mufflers did you get for an exhaust that cost 200-300?? is it SS? crush or mandrel bends?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

its regular exhaust piping, mandrel bends... and doing a custom catback exhaust at a muffler shop doesnt cost more than 300... there's no way in hell im paying over $1000 for a catback, just cause its SS....and i dont even like how they sound period!

right now i have 2.5 inch all the way through, with a set of resonators, and an electric cutout in place of the 3rd cat.... i haven't had any mufflers on the car in 4.5 years...and will never have mufflers.

ill post pictures...but here's a list of mods..lol thats forgetting a lot of them

20% rear window tints
Trunk lid M3 style lip
Rear win/roof M3 style lip
Lamin-x yellow headlight covers
Yellow fog lights
Amber front side markers
A-spec front lip
Black front grille
Dry CF door pillars.
Amber interior lighting

Tein SS coilovers
CT rear sway bar
Ingalls rear alignment kit
SPC adjustable upper arm ball joints
Enkei RPM2 18" wheels
Falken FK452 235/40/18
DiscItalia Cross drilled/sloted front rotors
Hawk HPS front pads
SS brake lines

Supertech forged pistons & Gas nitride rings
IM heatshield
CT Supercharger
Snow Performance stage II water/meth injection
Injen CAI
Custom heat wrapped/silicone headers/downpipes
Custom exhaust
3" Electric exhaust cutout (with shift knob mounted control switch)
Optima (red) battery, (trunk)
CT short shifter (modified to super short throw)
Spec stage III clutch & PP
Custom brushed Al race pedals & footrest
Modified clutch slave cylinder (removed check-valve for faster engagement)
Old 06-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dyno

I went and got the car dyno'd this morning. It's now at 293whp and 244 ft/lbs of torque for a gain of 65whp and 50 ft/lbs.

Keep in mind it wasn't just adding the supercharger. I had to remove the AEM intake, replace 2 of the 3 e-shift cats with the stock cats and replaced the underdrive pulley with the UR stock size. I also added the J-pipe.

Opel - can't wait to see pics.

Good luck to everyone else who's thinking of going FI!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I went and got the car dyno'd this morning. It's now at 293whp and 244 ft/lbs of torque for a gain of 65whp and 50 ft/lbs.

Keep in mind it wasn't just adding the supercharger. I had to remove the AEM intake, replace 2 of the 3 e-shift cats with the stock cats and replaced the underdrive pulley with the UR stock size. I also added the J-pipe.

Opel - can't wait to see pics.

Good luck to everyone else who's thinking of going FI!
So stock w/ SC came to 293whp. Add meth kit and we are talking about 310whp. New exhaust and pulley and we are talking about 330 whp.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

water/meth kit wont add power like that...from 293 to 310, thats almost 20 whp, and methanol will not do that.

what meth does is, allows you to run more boost bcs it will keep the intake temps down and add combustable fuel which is methanol itself..that will save your motor from detonating, and stop the ECU from pulling too much timing cause of detonation, at the same time keeping combustion temps lower to prevent pre-ignition.

someone might bring up the fact that "cooler intake temp, means denser air, which means more power" and that's completely true... but you aint making 20 whp just by adding meth. if that was the case, i would have an ice maker dumping ice cubes into the intake charge

so think of it as a safety when you're pushing ur car through a 90 degree weather

you could however tune a car running 100% meth and make some power out of it, but im talking about a FINE tune.... with our cars, it aint happening. at least not with the piggybacks available
Old 06-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

... but you aint making 20 whp just by adding meth. if that was the case, i would have an ice maker dumping ice cubes into the intake charge ...
I like that sentence, It made me laugh so hard.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

So stock w/ SC came to 293whp. Add meth kit and we are talking about 310whp. New exhaust and pulley and we are talking about 330 whp.
I think what the OP needs to do is get some precat deletes or replacement for those hiflow cats and he be over 300WHP.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

not necessarily stock...already have exhaust and couple other mods.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gatdammit
I think what the OP needs to do is get some precat deletes or replacement for those hiflow cats and he be over 300WHP.
In due time. For now, I'm happy with the set up and just want to enjoy it before I spend even more money.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Burning Brakes

apnorm, how is the SC?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm very happy with the supercharger! When driving normal, there's no difference which is nice. But when you get on it, it definitely moves.

I gotta admit, when I read the turbo thread, I was jealous! 400+ hp vs. ~300...for about the same cost or maybe a little more. But the more I thought about it, this was the right choice for me. It seems like the SC is reliable and that's what I want/need. I really don't want the headache or hassle of the turbo. Not saying its not reliable but it hasn't been tested and it's an unknown at this point. Not to mention it's not even available yet!

You still on the fence?

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on the supercharger!