New ECU preview

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I understand what you guys are saying, and it makes sense. The thing that sucks is that it's 2011 going on 2012. The 3G TL came out at the end of 2003; that's going on 8 years. The aftermarket has been picking up since probably 07 or so, and only now is there a true tune for it. I wish it would've came out earlier, but so be it. It's 2011 now and it's finally out, I'm not complaining.

Rodney has put countless hours into making these things work for us and his efforts could not be more appreciated. I just wanna see the damn results already!

TLDream, any time frame on you being tuned? I know you've ran 12.6 already and trapped as high as 110. I'd guess with this tune alone you could see low 12s @112+.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick

TLDream, any time frame on you being tuned? I know you've ran 12.6 already and trapped as high as 110. I'd guess with this tune alone you could see low 12s @112+.

I will be looking for high 11's and around 114-116 traps. I have had a couple people tell me its not going to happen, but those same people said it wouldnt run 12's. I have about 20ish passes on the new clutch, and everything is holding up great. Havnt even broke a stock 100,000 mile axel yet. The motor is leaning out so it is pulling timing out up top. Once i get some more fuel in it, and the timing I will see 300 whp on the stock j pipe. Once i get the new exhaust setup, I will be putting down ~310-315 whp out of a stock internalled j35a8.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 PM
All motor

Originally Posted by TLdream
I will be looking for high 11's and around 114-116 traps. I have had a couple people tell me its not going to happen, but those same people said it wouldnt run 12's. I have about 20ish passes on the new clutch, and everything is holding up great. Havnt even broke a stock 100,000 mile axel yet. The motor is leaning out so it is pulling timing out up top. Once i get some more fuel in it, and the timing I will see 300 whp on the stock j pipe. Once i get the new exhaust setup, I will be putting down ~310-315 whp out of a stock internalled j35a8.
Very nice. Any plans on trying an aftermarket Jpipe? I just see no way that you will make more power from the stock Jpipe.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Very nice. Any plans on trying an aftermarket Jpipe? I just see no way that you will make more power from the stock Jpipe.
I contacted one of the companies, and inquired about them sponsoring me one to use until i get my custom 2.5td built, but they didnt want want anything to do with it. Im not going to put $400 into a j pipe, when I can build a full custom exhaust that will gain more hp and torque for around $600
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Why don't you guys just contact Doug at Hondata to get a software going for us? If there's a demand, I'm sure he'll do it. Look at the Kpro & Flashpro, OBDII port connect. I'd like to see the VSA disabled, Rev hang gone, Governor speed gone, and other things simular to the Flashpro. $600-$700 easily. I rather have the guys at Hondata get us one.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Because I'm sure that Hondata is going to want to sell more than 10 units. (I believe that was the excuse they gave when they stopped doing the ECU reflash for the 3G S/C'd TLs.) I'm guessing that's roughly the amount of J&R ECUs that have been sold. Same with every other serious performance mod... everyone talks a big game, but when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, very few actually pony up.

Same deal with the turbo kit that Rodney put together. There were something like 20 people on the forums that said they would buy one when he was gauging interest and only about 3-5 people followed through and bought one right away.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bouncer07
Why don't you guys just contact Doug at Hondata to get a software going for us? If there's a demand, I'm sure he'll do it. Look at the Kpro & Flashpro, OBDII port connect. I'd like to see the VSA disabled, Rev hang gone, Governor speed gone, and other things simular to the Flashpro. $600-$700 easily. I rather have the guys at Hondata get us one.

You are posting this like you think it hasnt been done. Try calling hondata and see what they tell you. Last I got was the wanted around ~$1500 to do a single flash on the computer. I tried everyone. There is a few companies thatmight have a controller/programer coming out for the TL (like the diesel trucks), but could never get a actual real response of when it would be released.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Got my JandR ecu hooked up and my 2005 5AT is running. Still some tweaking to do, but all is looking promising. For the little i've got on it, she scoots.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:04 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I have heard from couple people that they are using stock jpipe coz it gives more gains when you actually are fully bolted on....i dont see how but well the people who told me that know more than I do

Originally Posted by TLdream
I contacted one of the companies, and inquired about them sponsoring me one to use until i get my custom 2.5td built, but they didnt want want anything to do with it. Im not going to put $400 into a j pipe, when I can build a full custom exhaust that will gain more hp and torque for around $600
why are you going 2.5" when you will be only pushing out 300-ish to the wheel....why not 2.25 ? i know 2.5" is cool when you are close to 400ish...

Originally Posted by gerzand
Got my JandR ecu hooked up and my 2005 5AT is running. Still some tweaking to do, but all is looking promising. For the little i've got on it, she scoots.
damn Andy I didnt know you were getting the JnR....
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
They tried and the project just died. I think there are a couple of people with their attempt but that's it.

Rodney's the only one so far to make things work where others have failed or given up.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Not to mention that most people that drive TL's are not mod friendly and most of them are 30+ yrs old. But for the guys that are swapping them into smaller car platform, I can see more users' buying the engine management over the AEM unit or other simular units. If Kpro was $1,100, I would assume Jpro to be simular or same as Flashpro's price since it's single cam and dont need much maps and calibrations to over dual cams. I'm actually talking to Doug, the guy himself, thats why I need some guys opinions. He said he'll do it if there's a demand, not just for TL owners but J-swap owners as well. It's true that when one thing seems good, everyone jumps on it, but backs out when they only wanted it made or just because it's a first for something made.
The J&R standalone only offers 2 options and I rather have full user control over options. I want to have the control to flash it back to stock when I do sell the car in the future, or disable or enable VSA, and have to check CEL or disable O2 sensors. If J&R can perfect this, I'll be the first buyer and do my own datalogging and tuning myself. Maybe do some E-tuning for people . Anyways, I don't see much people here interested, I mean they are but when it comes to be $1,100 people back out and the interest becomes dead. But I'm sure it will be cheap since we have one cam to work with.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Pro

The J&R standalone only offers 2 options and I rather have full user control over options. I want to have the control to flash it back to stock when I do sell the car in the future, or disable or enable VSA, and have to check CEL or disable O2 sensors. If J&R can perfect this, I'll be the first buyer and do my own datalogging and tuning myself. Maybe do some E-tuning for people . Anyways, I don't see much people here interested, I mean they are but when it comes to be $1,100 people back out and the interest becomes dead. But I'm sure it will be cheap since we have one cam to work with.
I think you misunderstand how the J&R unit works... You have FULL control over engine parameters and reverting back to stock when you sell the car is as easy as unplugging the unit. As far as the VSA goes, just look down by your left knee... Also, regarding the cam, you can either run Type-S cams, or there is a company that does custom grinds. I forget the name of the place though. Maybe you should spend a little time doing research before you post comments.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Bisimoto
The following users liked this post:
bmeyer (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Pro

@justnspace That's the one. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Not to mention that most people that drive TL's are not mod friendly and most of them are 30+ yrs old. But for the guys that are swapping them into smaller car platform, I can see more users' buying the engine management over the AEM unit or other simular units. If Kpro was $1,100, I would assume Jpro to be simular or same as Flashpro's price since it's single cam and dont need much maps and calibrations to over dual cams. I'm actually talking to Doug, the guy himself, thats why I need some guys opinions. He said he'll do it if there's a demand, not just for TL owners but J-swap owners as well. It's true that when one thing seems good, everyone jumps on it, but backs out when they only wanted it made or just because it's a first for something made.
What do you mean the JandR only offers two options. Its a full standalone, if you want to revert to stock, put the stock ecu back in. On J swapped cars the ecu is going to be independent. On TL's it will be run inline with the stock ecu to retain the "luxury" options.

and K pro is $1000 or more, what makes you think J pro will be any less. To me it would be more. Smaller market, less sells, they would have to sell the product for more to make their money.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Brandon, maybe you could personally educate this person. He's in MN too.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Pro

@KN_TL I do enough hand-holding at work. I'm just too burned out to take on anyone new.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Seriously, did you even read this entire thread?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Burning Brakes

I'll get my hands with this standalone and do my own street tunes. So who all bought one?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^read the thread. there are several clues on who bought what and who has received.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Just came back from getting my TL inspected. Watched an 04 SVT Cobra with new Whipple pull 598whp. Found that this shop knows how to tune a megasquirt. Hopefully will get there in Sept after I get back from NJ.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Been playing around strret tuning mine all day. Needless to say im using more fuel han a type-s with my mods and this type-s base tune....i mean holy shit a ton more. I need to take it to my buddy's to tune.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Of course, more mods = more fuel. Don't forget to flat out the afr and add timing. I can see you gain more mid range. If someone could start a thread of datalogs that would be nice. A pull on 3r gear from 2K to red line.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM
All motor

Been playing around strret tuning mine all day. Needless to say im using more fuel han a type-s with my mods and this type-s base tune....i mean holy shit a ton more. I need to take it to my buddy's to tune.
I'm excited to see your results. You should approach/exceed the 300whp with your current setup, not to mention your 'other' setup.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Gerzand are you auto or manual?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:30 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
Gerzand are you auto or manual?

hes auto

The following users liked this post:
BostonSilverTypeS (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I'm excited to see your results. You should approach/exceed the 300whp with your current setup, not to mention your 'other' setup.
Wait, what? On a base auto? Does he have cams?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Pro

So, by now, it's no mystery that the MS3 ECU is quite... portly. Because of this, I had some concerns about where I was going to be able to mount it. With the F/IC, I was able to clear a small space behind the glovebox and tuck it up in there. Unfortunately I wasn't going to be able to do the same with the MS3.

I've seen a couple of other installs where the ECU was mounted in the passenger-side foot well, but I was concerned about it either getting kicked a little too hard once and it leaving me stranded, or it causing an unsightly lump in the carpet and end up limiting the passenger's leg room.

I had contacted Rodney earlier on and requested that he lengthen my wiring harness so that I could explore other options. At first, I was thinking that I could mount it under the passenger's seat. After actually looking at the space available, I came the conclusion that it just wasn't happening. After a little bit of head scratching, I was able to determine that it would fit under the driver's without interference.

Here's what I came up with:

Thanks, Rodney for adding the extra length to the harness! I was able to route the wires from point A to point B with about 1 foot of excess. For everyone else considering ordering an ECU in the near future, I'd highly recommend doing the same. It keeps everything in the interior looking as it did right from the factory (which was one of my primary goals).
Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Thats a great install buddy....can you like post the dimensions of the ECU ?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Pro

From page 6:

Originally Posted by KN_TL
...it measures 7x4 1/8 X 2 5/8 inches.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by bmeyer
From page 6:
You got your ECU, nice. How long ago did you get it? I hope I'm next, this is going to really help me kick some ass in SCCA this year. I have been holding off on installing the meth kit so I can get a final tune.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Pro

It showed up late last week. I've barely had time to install it and play around with the tuning software for it. I can't wait to get it to the shop and the the new engine broken in and tuned. It's to the point where I've forgotten what it's like to drive.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Safety Car

Instead of posting to the other thread, I'll do it here instead.

I was able to successfully update my ECU to Pre-1.1Alpha14. I followed these instructions:

- Power up the controller and connect.
- You will get an ini mis-match error, select "Connect anyway".
- Hopefully you get no more errors.
- Save the msq.
- Close it all.
- upgrade your firmware.
- Start TunerStudio and power up the MS
- You will get another ini mis-match error, this time update the ini to the one that came with your new firmware.
- Once connected, open the msq you saved.

Now you should be on the newer firmware with the settings that are on it now. You may get some warnings along the way, they are usually not serious, watch for errors.

For the firmware upgrade, I used the following page:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/firmware.html

Worked flawlessly. Even though I told it to try and preserve the settings and tune, it was only able to preserve the settings. But I had previously saved the tune and when I reconnected (before updating the INI), it showed me the tune in my project vs what was on the ECU. The ECU was back to defaults with no maps so I simply told it to copy the project data to the ECU.

Was able to start the engine and throttle up. I have a bunch of wires hanging out of my trunk so I couldn't take it for a ride. I'm using my mac-mini installed in my trunk using Windows 7 w/bootcamp to do the upgrade. My attempt to have both factory navi and carputer failed so I am using RDP with an iPad2 to connect/control the mini for now.

Once I get everything put back together, I'll post up some logs.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bmeyer
It's to the point where I've forgotten what it's like to drive.
I hear ya. When I was talking to a guy who was getting his Cobra tuned, he called his ride a 'garage queen'. Working on it more than driving. I can totally relate to that!

Edit: Just realized you posted your install. Nice job. Mine still looks factory but is under the passenger footwell up high with a kickplate on it. If I get really bored, maybe I'll try longer cables and relocating.

Last edited by KN_TL; 09-15-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Instead of posting to the other thread, I'll do it here instead.

I was able to successfully update my ECU to Pre-1.1Alpha14. I followed these instructions:

- Power up the controller and connect.
- You will get an ini mis-match error, select "Connect anyway".
- Hopefully you get no more errors.
- Save the msq.
- Close it all.
- upgrade your firmware.
- Start TunerStudio and power up the MS
- You will get another ini mis-match error, this time update the ini to the one that came with your new firmware.
- Once connected, open the msq you saved.

Now you should be on the newer firmware with the settings that are on it now. You may get some warnings along the way, they are usually not serious, watch for errors.

For the firmware upgrade, I used the following page:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/firmware.html

Worked flawlessly. Even though I told it to try and preserve the settings and tune, it was only able to preserve the settings. But I had previously saved the tune and when I reconnected (before updating the INI), it showed me the tune in my project vs what was on the ECU. The ECU was back to defaults with no maps so I simply told it to copy the project data to the ECU.

Was able to start the engine and throttle up. I have a bunch of wires hanging out of my trunk so I couldn't take it for a ride. I'm using my mac-mini installed in my trunk using Windows 7 w/bootcamp to do the upgrade. My attempt to have both factory navi and carputer failed so I am using RDP with an iPad2 to connect/control the mini for now.

Once I get everything put back together, I'll post up some logs.
Thanks, I'll do this tomorrow
Old 09-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there some more reading about the ECU somewhere?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Is this ecu still available for purchase? I cant find on the website
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes it is products ate been uploaded and updated ...
Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
We have been waiting on reviews from purchasers as there's a supercharged customer ,and n/a also but I think for n/a customer his thread got overloaded with off topic discussion so I'm not sure if he will chip in ,speedimages did tune one our our ecu also ..
Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Can this ecu wor on my cl6 ? & where can I get 1 ?

Quick Reply: New ECU preview