New ECU preview

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
would this ECU be compatible with a 2nd gen S/C'd auto CL?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^contact Rodney.
he's said before that it can be ported over.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
A couple things I still can't seem to find out about this ECU is:

Can we lower the VTEC engagement?

Can we adjust the cam angles?

And is this an actual end-user product? (that is, can I change the parameters myself on my computer?)

If the answer is "YES" to all these questions, then I (and I'm dead certain many others) will gladly pony up the $1300 for this...if the answer is "NO", then I surely hope J&R can make this happen...
VVT yes

Cam Angles - There are trigger wheel options for crank and cam. I am not sure if the oem trigger sensors are wired.

End User - yes

Everything can be seen here. He is delivering the ECU with the Alpha code installed.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html#ms3

Last edited by KN_TL; 11-24-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:54 AM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
VVT yes

Cam Angles - There are trigger wheel options for crank and cam. I am not sure if the oem trigger sensors are wired.

End User - yes

Everything can be seen here. He is delivering the ECU with the Alpha code installed.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html#ms3
Thanks KN_TL for the link and info!

But, hmm...VVT...I know Toyota names their's this, but is there a specific ability to control our VTEC? Would that be same as VTEC? Any actual TL owners lowered their VTEC engagement? And if so, I would imagine there's a way to adjust the fueling and timing as well to compensate for this adjustment?

And I need a definite answer for the cam angle adjustment...Also, what is the maximum angle our stock cams can physically run at?

Will J&R please respond to these questions? Thanks!

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 11-25-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

^From what I hear, Rodney has some personal stuff going on that will likely delay his responses.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 AM

^in addition to, why not contact him directly.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:17 AM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by justnspace
^in addition to, why not contact him directly.
I sure could, but I'm trying to have the community benefit from this information as well.

I'm actually kinda surprised every bit of this info isn't already out in the open...especially after 11 pages of discussion...again, I guess I'm just used to a more open forum community (8thcivic)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Safety Car

I sure could, but I'm trying to have the community benefit from this information as well.

I'm actually kinda surprised every bit of this info isn't already out in the open...especially after 11 pages of discussion...again, I guess I'm just used to a more open forum community (8thcivic)
Most of the first adopters are FI.

Bolt ons and the tweaks with it are just getting started. Everyone seems to want a turnkey solution and Rodney can only do so much being such a small shop.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
^^ This is the most "open" forum I have ever been a part of! your answers will come.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:06 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by pohljm
^^ This is the most "open" forum I have ever been a part of! your answers will come.
I hope you're right...and by "open" I mean most if not all the info on a given product should be given right off the bat so there's no guessing what it does or does not do.

As it is we're on the 11th page and these HUGE aspects of tuning a VTEC engine are still not addressed...

and I guess I was hoping this would be a good upgrade for strictly bolt-ons folks like most of us here...like what Hondata does...and yup, I know they tried but backed out on the J32
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pohljm
Somewhat. There are a couple people on the port/polish thread who have made some N/A advancements but don't want to put it here.

There are however willing to talk directly.

I hope you're right...and by "open" I mean most if not all the info on a given product should be given right off the bat so there's no guessing what it does or does not do.

As it is we're on the 11th page and these HUGE aspects of tuning a VTEC engine are still not addressed...

and I guess I was hoping this would be a good upgrade for strictly bolt-ons folks like most of us here...like what Hondata does...and yup, I know they tried but backed out on the J32
Hasn't the engagement point already determined to be at the optimal point? I'll have to bring it up to the shop I use when I finally get my ride dyno'd and tuned.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:01 PM

well, it just seems you want answers but are not willing to call the DIRECT source.
after you find out the info, post here!
then the community benefits!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:36 PM
The Track Terror

well, it just seems you want answers but are not willing to call the DIRECT source.
after you find out the info, post here!
then the community benefits!
Oh no, I will give 'em a call...I guess I might be asking too much from the person/people who's actually making this product.

On other forums for other vehicles, usually the company who puts out new products posts threads themselves and tells us exactly what their product does.

Special thanks for KN_TL to starting this thread, but why didn't J&R do it?

Again, going by other forums, Hondata personally presented their products and talks openly about the Flashpro/K-Pro...Cobb did/does the same thing with their Accessport...

Why not for this ECU? This certainly is not too much to ask...

My posts are not a slam against anyone, I just want info that a lot of other people are interested in.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:47 PM
The Track Terror

Hasn't the engagement point already determined to be at the optimal point? I'll have to bring it up to the shop I use when I finally get my ride dyno'd and tuned.
Optimal is pretty subjective...one VTEC engagement point for one vehicle may not be optimal for another. It depends on what mods each vehicle has.

Besides this, I'm certain the factory VTEC engagement point is far from optimal. And what exactly does "optimal" mean to you? Optimal for performance? Optimal for fuel consumption? "Optimal" is different for different people/mods.

For example, the stock VTEC engagement point for my Civic Si was 5800 rpm. After header, intake, exhaust I lowered it to 4300 rpm with my Cobb AP and I made 213 whp with the smoothest VTEC crossover (which is what was my optimal point for performance).
Old 11-25-2011, 04:01 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Why don't you contact Rodney instead of attacking the few members who have the ECU and are responding to your strangely hostile posts. Rodney is no longer a vendor on the site and is limited in what he is able to post about his products. Beating the issue that he has not addressed every adjustable aspect of his product is pointless. There is a lot more interest and questions than people willing to pay for the work he has done. If you are serious about buying a product why not talk to those selling it.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:10 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Why don't you contact Rodney instead of attacking the few members who have the ECU and are responding to your strangely hostile posts. Rodney is no longer a vendor on the site and is limited in what he is able to post about his products. Beating the issue that he has not addressed every adjustable aspect of his product is pointless. There is a lot more interest and questions than people willing to pay for the work he has done. If you are serious about buying a product why not talk to those selling it.
Like I said, my posts are not meant to attack anyone. I am far from hostile kind sir. And my questions about this product are not strange or out of the ordinary. Especially considering the very high price of it...

But like I've been saying, it's quite laughable that no one still knows the answers to my questions (changing the VTEC engagement, adjusting the cam angles through the ECU), which are pretty much the most important aspects of altering a VTEC's ecu!

So how about you chill your horses there buddy and see if you can answer these questions? You can't...which is exactly my point. I'm growing tired of this forum as well...
Old 11-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Optimal is pretty subjective...one VTEC engagement point for one vehicle may not be optimal for another. It depends on what mods each vehicle has.

Besides this, I'm certain the factory VTEC engagement point is far from optimal. And what exactly does "optimal" mean to you? Optimal for performance? Optimal for fuel consumption? "Optimal" is different for different people/mods.

For example, the stock VTEC engagement point for my Civic Si was 5800 rpm. After header, intake, exhaust I lowered it to 4300 rpm with my Cobb AP and I made 213 whp with the smoothest VTEC crossover (which is what was my optimal point for performance).
Being a performance subforum and based on some of our mods, what would be the obvious answer to that question?
The following users liked this post:
phee (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Being a performance subforum and based on some of our mods, what would be the obvious answer to that question?

Like I said, my posts are not meant to attack anyone. I am far from hostile kind sir. And my questions about this product are not strange or out of the ordinary. Especially considering the very high price of it...

But like I've been saying, it's quite laughable that no one still knows the answers to my questions (changing the VTEC engagement, adjusting the cam angles through the ECU), which are pretty much the most important aspects of altering a VTEC's ecu!

So how about you chill your horses there buddy and see if you can answer these questions? You can't...which is exactly my point. I'm growing tired of this forum as well...
If you find it laughable, do us all a favor, figure it out and tell us all about it.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:36 PM
The Track Terror

Ha! True...but still, that would depend on supporting mods...

On a slight sidenote for everyone (NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR, for those whose feelings get hurt easily...), HONDATA just announced they are releasing Flashpro for the TSX...maybe/hopefully they will give the TL another try so we could have a real N/A tuning solution...

BTW, they came on here themselves to annouce it...just sayin...this is how a real company handles things...maybe Rodney should've kept his vendorship so he COULD continue to speak openly about his own product!

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-performance-parts-modifications-126/flashpro-2004-2008-tsx-838460/

http://www.hondata.com/flashpro_tsx.html
Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 PM
The Track Terror

If you find it laughable, do us all a favor, figure it out and tell us all about it.
Bro! First of all, chill, it will all be ok...secondly, why does someone (me) who's just a random Joe need to find out about it??? Am I really the only one who wants to know??

Thirdly, and most importantly, YOU'RE THE ONE WHO STARTED THIS THREAD! So, maybe you could've informed us about this info???

Seriously though, wouldn't y'all wanna know about these VERY important pieces of info?????

So far all I hear is noise from everyone, but no real pieces of useful information...
Old 11-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

I started this thread as a service to J&R.

You want to pay for his vendor status? I bet he'd appreciate it.

If you've followed what Rodney has done and the audience he has been working with, you'd understand how this is all being done.

Go to your 'real' company and get them to do what Rodney has done where no one else has been able to in the past.

I think you need to go troll at another site.

I'm done.

Last edited by KN_TL; 11-25-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:01 PM
The Track Terror

No troll bro, why the hostility? I actually thanked you for starting this thread!

And Rodney's unit allows us to lower VTEC and change cam angles? If so, awesome where can I buy? If not, looks like this unit hasn't done anything for the huge majority of us N/Aers...

I never started anything with anyone on this page, I just want answers to questions...unfortunately, there seems to be no answers right now...just a bunch of drama created by some very defensive fanbois...

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 11-25-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
No troll bro, why the hostility? I actually thanked you for starting this thread!

And Rodney's unit allows us to lower VTEC and change cam angles? If so, awesome where can I buy? If not, looks like this unit hasn't done anything for the huge majority of us N/Aers...

I never started anything with anyone on this page, I just want answers to questions...unfortunately, there seems to be no answers right now...just a bunch of drama created by some very defensive fanbois...
im reading as an outsider to most of this thread ... i have some interests of my own as to this working with '01-03 CL s ... this i will tell you

your posts sound very aggressive and borderline hostile weather its ur intent or not its how they read ! k

next vtec engagement and a/f/timing is a given with this ... cam angle no idea
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
it's all adjustable. timing, fuel, vtec, even two step with a second module
Old 11-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by phee
which was found....GET THIS....ON THE FIRST PAGE..
fenda rolla needs to contact Rodney himself, and or read the thread in its entirety
Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 AM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by typeR
your posts sound very aggressive and borderline hostile weather its ur intent or not its how they read ! k
My orginal posts definitely were not aggressive. The only ones that got slightly more aggressive were the ones where I was told to contact the owner of the company (which is itself very ridiculous, because all this info should already be in this very thread about this very ECU).

And then these people get upset with me and start calling me troll because they cannot answer these very simple questions that everyone should know after the first page.

Which brings me to this:

which was found....GET THIS....ON THE FIRST PAGE..
fenda rolla needs to contact Rodney himself, and or read the thread in its entirety
Again, no need to do this. The people who actually own one of these or anyone else "in the know" in this thread should easily know the answers to these questions. Unfortunately, as it is, even the OP (KN_TL) did not know the answers to these questions. Nothing against him, or anyone else here (only their baloney attitudes)

So, Justnspace, if you already knew the answer to these questions why didn't you just answer them from the beginning? Instead we've gotten to this point, which isn't very happy I'd say... But seriously, I honestly cannot seem to find the post your referring to on the first page...could you quote it for me please? Thanks bro!

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 11-26-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 AM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by typeR
next vtec engagement and a/f/timing is a given with this ... cam angle no idea
VTEC isn't so much of a given, since no one can give us a straight answer about it...

Originally Posted by phee
How can we adjust the VTEC and cam angles with this ECU?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
This unit was not developed for the NA crowd in the first place. It was developed solely for the turbo crowd. A few people took notice and some supercharged folks starting asking questions. That got the ball rolling for the NA crowd. And there is NA fully bolted TL that made 25 more whp with this ecu.

Before you make comments towards the developer of this ecu and saying things like, "maybe Rodney should've kept his vendorship so he COULD continue to speak openly about his own product!," you need to realize that everything he sells for the serious performance enthusiast, he makes little to no profit. Thats a fact. 200$ a month for a vendor status is insane if you actually knew how much he made off the few things he sells here.

I can speak for Rodney when I tell you he doesnt care if you dont want to buy what he sells. Hes not here to make money. He has solutions to questions that people on this forum have been trying to figure out for years. Hes literally one guy making all these things from his home along with a full time job.

The real question we have for you is, why cant you contact megasquirt directly and ask them if their version 3 software has the ability to do the things your asking? Its the same software thats used in many different platforms. The real difference is the wiring harness that makes the software work with the TL.

Finally, if you want this ecu then I would jump on it now b.c it will not be here forever. Thats a fact.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 AM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by libert69
This unit was not developed for the NA crowd in the first place. It was developed solely for the turbo crowd. A few people took notice and some supercharged folks starting asking questions. That got the ball rolling for the NA crowd. And there is NA fully bolted TL that made 25 more whp with this ecu.

Before you make comments towards the developer of this ecu and saying things like, "maybe Rodney should've kept his vendorship so he COULD continue to speak openly about his own product!," you need to realize that everything he sells for the serious performance enthusiast, he makes little to no profit. Thats a fact. 200$ a month for a vendor status is insane if you actually knew how much he made off the few things he sells here.

I can speak for Rodney when I tell you he doesnt care if you dont want to buy what he sells. Hes not here to make money. He has solutions to questions that people on this forum have been trying to figure out for years. Hes literally one guy making all these things from his home along with a full time job.

The real question we have for you is, why cant you contact megasquirt directly and ask them if their version 3 software has the ability to do the things your asking? Its the same software thats used in many different platforms. The real difference is the wiring harness that makes the software work with the TL.

Finally, if you want this ecu then I would jump on it now b.c it will not be here forever. Thats a fact.
Thank you for this post! Now this is what probably the first response should've looked like! I respect the fact that Rodney is the only guy making these and that he doesn't make much off them. I most certainly am interested in buying one of these things IF it actually helps in my own project.

Again, yes I could contact megasquirt and/or Rodney, but I wanted to try this route first. Especially since we're going into the 12th page of this thread, I figured I'd get a very simple and clear "yes" or "no". But unfortunately I got a bunch of baloney and it has degenerated into this...

Thanks again for your respectful post.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts

Mods are so much more limited for the 3G TL than the Civic.

Only Honda/Acura product made in the USA (minus the RDX? I believe)= no respect and no mods
Old 11-27-2011, 11:54 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by p.diddy
would this ECU be compatible with a 2nd gen S/C'd auto CL?
I asked this same question before but didn't a response . I 1 asap for my 3.7 build
Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Mods are so much more limited for the 3G TL than the Civic.

Only Honda/Acura product made in the USA (minus the RDX? I believe)= no respect and no mods
Ain't that the truth! Seriously...we need more guys like Rodney to put out more good stuff for the TL...
Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
fenda_rolla, i get what you are saying. this forum is so liberal and afraid to hurt feelings. i didn't get a hostile vibe.

Sorry just had to that $1350 proves you know where to put "money where my mouth is"

look. all i'm saying is, i know what it takes to mod a car. i've owned a 550+chp car (being extremely conservative) which i bought with 250. i understand better than most what i am talking about, and how to value mods per $. its everyone else's idea that i couldn't 'put my money where my mouth is', and like 6 people said that to me.

on to what libert said (ps, thumbs up for a well written response), if this guy is doing a lot of work for our benefit separate from his real career/job/living, stop telling everyone to call him with less than 'interested' questions. you'll waste his time.
instead, you look for questions here from 3rd parties. it makes complete sense. i don't talk to any vendors or company's unless i am willing to pay right then. its just a polite way to do things in this industry.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Less bickering, more info please I will check back on this later.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
Less bickering, more info please I will check back on this later.

This has turned into the Billy goats gruff, with two trolls that won't let us pass without answering two questions.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
ReDevil

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
This has turned into the Billy goats gruff, with two trolls that won't let us pass without answering two questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg
Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I just purchased today the ECU with the plug and play harness, knock sensor and all the other goodies..Shipping and handling $1480 will take about 10 days for shipping and fabrication of the harness etc...Im a NA type S last result untuned 294whp/262tq....Last mod was the Mugen Bored TB with intake manifold setup...I haven't dynoed yet...im expecting about 300whp as it is right now...With the new ECU tune hopefully 320whp
Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ thanks for bringing this thread around....

i think you will be ~320....gotta post some vids + pix + pix of the tune or what comes in the package etc....
Old 11-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
JuamP, what else you got to push 294 to the wheels? just the TB and intake manifold? doesnt the typeS with no mods push 235 to the wheels?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ he is fully bolted on from what I understand....

Quick Reply: New ECU preview