My path to 300WHP - 6MT Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Thumbs up My path to 300WHP - 6MT Type-S

Decided I wanted to start a progress thread in the performance section for my "build" even though it's likely not ever going to advance to anything past basic head work, cams and some PnP. Before when I was still focused on my 5AT type-s, power was not really my concern since I was already at a deficiency being a 5AT. Needing PCDs and Jpipe just to reach what the 6MT type-s was putting down was far enough for me with that car. Now that I've picked up my 6MT KBP type-s (Progress Thread), I'm much more apt to aim for bigger numbers - especially now that we've got a full tuning option available at a reasonable cost to really squeeze the extra juice out of each bolt on.

With that said, this will be a progress thread of sorts in that I will keep it updated with any and all performance modifications that I do to my car. I'm hoping for some more seasoned TL owners who have went down this path to chime in with some advice. For reference, I picked up the car on 8/2/2013 completely bone stock.

Lets get started.

8/10/2013
As of today, they only performance mods that I've done are the following:

-RV6 V3 Jpipe
-RV6 V3 PCDs
-AEM V2 CAI
-Slave Cylinder Check Valve Delete
-GM Syncromesh FM Manual Transmission Fluid Swap

We all know the 6MT type-s stock dynos at ~250WHP. Between the PCDs, Jpipe, and AEM CAI (maybe +1 WHP, if that) I might be putting down an additional 20WHP making my total 270WHP roughly. Still a long way to go to 300WHP.

What are my plans?

I see that P2R just released an intake manifold spacer. When I installed my PCDs, Jpipe, and AEM V2 CAI I really thought that I had shifted that HP and torque curve way up into the higher RPMs and lost a substantial amount in the low end. Maybe it's in my head, but this is the second TL type-s that I have had this experience with. I actually think that the back pressure from the stock cats and jpipe helps keep that torque curve and power down low. In an effort to counteract this, I'm going to get the P2R IM Spacer and thermal gaskets. If you've ever drove an MDX, you know that it has a lot more low end torque than the TL, by design. Among many subtle changes, the larger IM spacer can be attributed to the shift and I'm hoping this will balance out my torque curve a bit. I'm also going to likely get the P2R Throttle body spacer and thermal gaskets.

I've had my eye on the true dual exhaust since I picked up my 6MT. Before when I had an auto I really didn't see a reason to get an exhaust because 1) Power gains would be negligible and 2) Aftermarket exhausts really only sound good with manuals. I NEED something to get rid of this rasp from the RV6 V3 PCDs. Once I hit 3k RPMs, my car evokes the same feeling inside that I get when someone scratches their fingernails on a chalkboard. Plus it sounds ricey as crap, which I'm definitely not a fan of.

I'm going to eventually sell my AEM V2 CAI and fabricate a custom 4" CAI. This will probably come after I either bore out my throttle body or get an SHAWD throttle body, undecided still. No point IMO in having a 4" CAI with stock throttle body.

Once I'm "fully bolted", I'm going to get the Hondata Flashpro and really try to squeeze the juice out of my bolt ons to see what a good tune can do for someone who is fully bolted. I still won't really be fully bolted at that point, but I will have enough bolt ons to warrant a custom tune. It will be interesting to see where I'm at at that point.

After the above, I should be closer to 290-295WHP. I'm making conservative estimates. In the near future, I will be dynoing with what I've got now (PCDS, Jpipe, CAI). That's all for now!
The following users liked this post:
Tlsdd (09-20-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 02:15 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, good luck.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
awesome. Always glad to see more people taking advantage of modding opportunities on 6mt type-s, now that we have flashpro for tuning. Lot of people will hate on you, though

I had basically all the bolt-ons you are talking about, plus the Flashpro tune, and I hit 295. So I think your expectations are pretty realistic.

Throw those PnP lower intake runners in the mix and I'm sure you'd hit 300 - I never had those when I hit 295.
JJH (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 PM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
awesome. Always glad to see more people taking advantage of modding opportunities on 6mt type-s, now that we have flashpro for tuning. Lot of people will hate on you, though

I had basically all the bolt-ons you are talking about, plus the Flashpro tune, and I hit 295. So I think your expectations are pretty realistic.

Throw those PnP lower intake runners in the mix and I'm sure you'd hit 300 - I never had those when I hit 295.
Do you have a picture of your dyno when you hit 295 fully bolted + Hondata tuned? I'm curious to see what your curves looked like. I'm hoping that tuning can more equally distribute my power band across the low end. I don't like how the car feels right now.

I figured I will take some heat, but whatever. RV6 has also dropped some hints they might be dropping a turbo kit here soon. If that happens, I'll be nice and ready for it. I wouldn't mind having a turbod TL running some low boost as a reliable daily driver. We never had a turbod TL that had Flashpro, would be interesting.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Subscribed, indeed.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:28 AM
J-series addict

Received 615 Likes on 465 Posts
It's not that I don't like sharing a similar interest and passion with others about specific horsepower goals (300 or 350hp seem to be most popular) they have with their cars, it's just the simple fact I've seen so many come on and type out a "wish list" of parts, ideas and goals only to become underachievers.

I generally encourage them anyways in hopes of contributing to the end result of reality but its beginning to get discouraging. I know a few close people that have asked me and many others to help here and to give advice there...and then becomes wasted effort on everyone's behalf.

All I ask is (OP and others alike) if you're going waste your own time that's fine, but stop wasting everyone's else's

OP, it's a lot of work to make this happen but it's very much worth the payoff and the end result. I've done it many times now with only two cars (in regards to j-series) and each time is better than the last. It's an awesome thing to be able drive something of your hard work, skill, determination and most of all: part of you. Good luck man. Keep it going.
The following 2 users liked this post by yungone501:
JJH (08-11-2013), Marcelechka (08-12-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM
JJH
Drifting

^ There won't be any let downs here. I normally follow through with what I say I'm going to do or what I want to do hence me owning two different type-s's right now

I think financial bottlenecks are the end to most peoples power goals on azine. Knowledge/experience is definitely my bottleneck right now which I why I created this thread to hopefully get input from other more experienced individuals.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
It would be nice to know where ur at... Lots of guesstimates, id like to actually know where you are at, and not to be picky.. what dyno will you be using? Hopefully not that dyno dynamics machine where they take the front wheel off as those numbers are bloated and fake... Anyways it would be pretty nice to just throw it on the dyno to see where you are at and where you need to go and the progression...
Old 08-11-2013, 09:31 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Subscribed. Way to go!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12 PM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
It would be nice to know where ur at... Lots of guesstimates, id like to actually know where you are at, and not to be picky.. what dyno will you be using? Hopefully not that dyno dynamics machine where they take the front wheel off as those numbers are bloated and fake... Anyways it would be pretty nice to just throw it on the dyno to see where you are at and where you need to go and the progression...
I haven't decided or figured out what dyno I will be going to. One thing is certain, even if the dyno provides a bloated figured, I will still be able to see incremental changes from different mods pending consistent or near similar atmospheric conditions between dyno sessions. There have been a ton of dynos with stock 6MT type-s's. No point in me getting baseline. I will be dynoing with what I currently have before moving on to anything else. It's looking like a cat back exahust is next on the list, just haven't quite decided which one yet. Custom is a definite possibility if I can find a good local shop.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 AM
JJH
Drifting

P.S. - If anyone sees anything performance wise in the BM that they aren't interested in themselves, you would be doing me a favor posting about it here so I can take a look
Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
I haven't decided or figured out what dyno I will be going to. One thing is certain, even if the dyno provides a bloated figured, I will still be able to see incremental changes from different mods pending consistent or near similar atmospheric conditions between dyno sessions. There have been a ton of dynos with stock 6MT type-s's. No point in me getting baseline. I will be dynoing with what I currently have before moving on to anything else. It's looking like a cat back exahust is next on the list, just haven't quite decided which one yet. Custom is a definite possibility if I can find a good local shop.
Are you stock?.... Thought you said you had a few mods in your 1st post?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Subscribed. I am in a similar situation as you, with a stock TL - type S 6 speed. I am considering J pipe, and HFC's , and a tune with Hondata Flashpro, but do not want to lose any down low power.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 AM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Are you stock?.... Thought you said you had a few mods in your 1st post?
Nope, I'm not stock. If you read through the first post, I have PCDS, Jpipe, and intake. For as many dynos as there have been on stock 6MT TL-s's, there have been 10x the amount with PCDs, Jpipe, and intake. I know that I'm nowhere close to 300WHP right now so there is really no point in me getting a dyno when I already have a rough idea of where I'm at.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 AM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by stealthcivic
Subscribed. I am in a similar situation as you, with a stock TL - type S 6 speed. I am considering J pipe, and HFC's , and a tune with Hondata Flashpro, but do not want to lose any down low power.
Type-s cats stock are 600 cell count. HFPC are 300 cell count. PCDs are 0 cell count, or if you want to get tricky about it they are 1 cell count

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's worth it to spend more money on HFPC to gain less power since you're only going from 600-->300 vs 600-->0. I know people have done it, but if you're really trying to make power you should go right to PCDs so you don't leave anything on the table.

It could be in my head, but with both of my TL-s's I have had the same experience - a loss in the lower rpm range with the above mods. Hoping a larger IM spacer offsets that a bit.

StealthTL-S (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
would like to see if you can get a dyno showing the low end gains with the IM spacer. i agree i've lost some low end with similar mods and would be nice to get some of it back.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Don't bother boring the stock throttle body. For only like $75 more, you can have the ZDX, which is bigger.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
08 TL type-S

Originally Posted by JJH
Type-s cats stock are 600 cell count. HFPC are 300 cell count. PCDs are 0 cell count, or if you want to get tricky about it they are 1 cell count

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's worth it to spend more money on HFPC to gain less power since you're only going from 600-->300 vs 600-->0. I know people have done it, but if you're really trying to make power you should go right to PCDs so you don't leave anything on the table.

It could be in my head, but with both of my TL-s's I have had the same experience - a loss in the lower rpm range with the above mods. Hoping a larger IM spacer offsets that a bit.

I thought the HFC's were 200 cell? not 300 cell? Anyway, I see your point. I would think I would gain with HFC's and deleting the 3rd cat while adding the J Pipe. But to lose low end torque is not worth it to me. I will not do the mod if I lose low end. I do not want to run the PCD's because I do not want rasp or drone. I want to keep my type S a nice ride without drone. I will not be changing the type S cat back exhaust at all. I am waiting on your results. I still have the idea of getting HFC's, j pipe, and possibly the Hondata Flashpro would cure the loss of power down low....
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
you dont lose low end torque....
NvrDwn (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
you dont lose low end torque....
This.

The gain in high-end makes the low end feel like you lost power.
justnspace (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by NvrDwn
This.

The gain in high-end makes the low end feel like you lost power.
Ive explained it to stealthcivic MULTIPLE times, yet he wants to listen to the newbs that havent even modded their cars, yet..

I gained torque with bolt on's
and now with Hondata there is absolutely no reason to say that we've lost torque....
Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 PM
JJH
Drifting

Just my butt dyno talking Justin, I've got nothing to back it up but anecdotal experiences with the same mods on two different tl type-s's. You're right, end of story What you guys are saying makes sense though.

So since you had PCDs/Jpipe prior to true dual, were you getting rasp exactly at like 3k-4k rpms? If TD eliminates that, I would be a happy man. I've heard good things about Vibrant resonators too.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:29 PM
08 TL type-S

Ive explained it to stealthcivic MULTIPLE times, yet he wants to listen to the newbs that havent even modded their cars, yet..

I gained torque with bolt on's
and now with Hondata there is absolutely no reason to say that we've lost torque....
justnspace...I am listening man, I read on here from some veterans that ran different types of J pipes that they lost some low end. This is why I am scared. I know you have told me, but others (veteran owners) have stated differently in my "benefits of J pipe" thread.
If, I can use the Hondata tune with the j pipe and HFC's I feel better, as I said before.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
I was at 285whp with PCDs, Jpipe, Catback, and AEM CAI which were very solid for my mods. Get a catback and you will be in the 280 range as well. After that you should do the 3.7L IM, ZDX TB, and PnP Runners.

Hope your build goes well, let us know if you have any questions.
JJH (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by AccordFlex
I was at 285whp with PCDs, Jpipe, Catback, and AEM CAI which were very solid for my mods. Get a catback and you will be in the 280 range as well. After that you should do the 3.7L IM, ZDX TB, and PnP Runners.

Hope your build goes well, let us know if you have any questions.
Did you gain roughly 10-15whp from the catback? Which catback did you have? Do you think that you would have been closer to 290 with a 4" CAI vs the aem cai?

Those are my plans. There was a whole 3.7 "kit" for sale in the BM all brand new that I should have bit on but I was in decision mode about buying a new car or not so I passed on it.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM

justnspace...I am listening man, I read on here from some veterans that ran different types of J pipes that they lost some low end. This is why I am scared. I know you have told me, but others (veteran owners) have stated differently in my "benefits of J pipe" thread.
If, I can use the Hondata tune with the j pipe and HFC's I feel better, as I said before.
that, my friend, is people splitting hairs.

"OMGz!!!! one pipe makes 2hp MORE!!!"
"this one lost 4. Oh noes!!!"

and if you still want proof, dyno stock and then dyno after and you'll have your answer.
you dont even have to buy the jpipe.
just do a stock dyno run and mod your car without the jpipe. and if you're not hitting in the same ball park as the others, then you'll know what you're missing
Old 08-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
Did you gain roughly 10-15whp from the catback? Which catback did you have? Do you think that you would have been closer to 290 with a 4" CAI vs the aem cai?

Those are my plans. There was a whole 3.7 "kit" for sale in the BM all brand new that I should have bit on but I was in decision mode about buying a new car or not so I passed on it.
No idea what I gained exactly with just my exhaust. I dynoed my first time with those mods because I knew what the TLS made stock roughly.

I lost power after my stage 3 clutch, motor mounts, 3.7L manifold, runners and TB because the ECU made the car run so rich which decreased the timing. After basic bolt ons you will definitely need Hondata Tuning
Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JJH
Do you have a picture of your dyno when you hit 295 fully bolted + Hondata tuned? I'm curious to see what your curves looked like.
Red line = Flashpro tuned
Blue line = not tuned

Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 AM
08 TL type-S

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
Red line = Flashpro tuned
Blue line = not tuned

What exact mods do you have that got you to 295 ? I went back in the thread and read , but did not see your mods. I just see you are tuned with Hondata, which I know is great.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Get an Infiniti G37/Q50 would clear all 300 whp
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 AM
JJH
Drifting

What exact mods do you have that got you to 295 ? I went back in the thread and read , but did not see your mods. I just see you are tuned with Hondata, which I know is great.
He has Jpipe, HFPCs, intake, bored 3.7 TB, 3.7 IM, pnp runners, and and ATLP catback quads I believe.
StealthTL-S (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 AM

^had.

he now has a built engine, probably pushing some where in the neighborhood of 350!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

I haven't seen an NA reach 50whp from 300 yet without some serious E85 conversion and every other mods will be a gain here and there after the engine has been breathing good already.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM

^I love cars has done headwork and is running an aggressive set of cams.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JJH
He has Jpipe, HFPCs, intake, bored 3.7 TB, 3.7 IM, pnp runners, and and ATLP catback quads I believe.
you are correct on my mods except that I did not have PnP runners.

^had.

he now has a built engine, probably pushing some where in the neighborhood of 350!
350 is optimistic, lol. The baseline run from 1.5 months ago before the build started was 291, and running like dog shit a week ago on the dyno without my custom cam gears, I was putting down 320 at 6500 rpm - with the cam gears ironing some things out, we should be able to take redline from 6800 up to 7200 or 7300.

Cam gears will be worth something because the timing is off a lot - like +4 in the front and -8 in the rear. I'm on a DynoJet so 350 whp end result is doubtful. Remember that Andy was putting down 318 on a DynoPack with his full build except for his 3" dump (which put him up to 325). That would probably read 300 on a DynoJet, as DP's read higher. I bet on a DynoPack the raw number could get close to 350, but it's irrelevant because the gains are all that matters.

I'm after +40 whp when all is said and done.

Originally Posted by bouncer07
I haven't seen an NA reach 50whp from 300 yet without some serious E85 conversion and every other mods will be a gain here and there after the engine has been breathing good already.
bouncer is correct - gaining 50 whp from ported heads/cams/12:1 compression is a bit optimistic.

35-40 whp gains are a bit more in the realm of reality.
The following 2 users liked this post by i_love_cars:
justnspace (08-13-2013), StealthTL-S (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM

*I was just throwing numbers out*
i_love_cars (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

*I was just throwing numbers out*
Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Now maybe if we have some stage 3 and stage 4 offers, maybe this hybrid engine may reach 380-410 whp on an all motor set up.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:54 PM
JJH
Drifting

Update:

Ordered the RV6 True Dual exhaust today. I figured this was the next logical mod to fully open up my exhaust and help me move closer to my goal of 300whp.

After the exhaust is complete, I'm going to likely be moving onto 3.7 intake manifold, ZDX throttle body, 4" CAI, and port and polish of everything. I'll dyno at that point, flashpro tune, and then dyno again.

See you guys on the other side.

Quick Reply: My path to 300WHP - 6MT Type-S