Installing PCDs soon, Already have J-Pipe. Advice, Tips, Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 AM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Installing PCDs soon, Already have J-Pipe. Advice, Tips, Tricks?

Hey guys,

I've had my RV6 V3 J-pipe installed on my car for about 9 months already and am very happy with it.

I just purchased a brand new set of RV6 V3 PCDs with all the gaskets, defoulers, etc etc and will hopefully be having them installed in the next couple weeks. I debated doing the install myself but I have a guy I trust who can do it quickly and easily for just under $100 which I think is a steal.

My questions are:

1. Is there anything I should do to the PCDs before the install? Could I paint them black to keep them looking good? What about ceramic coating or powder coating? Worth it?

2. Any chance of rasp after PCDs? I will only have the PCDs and J-Pipe for now. The rest of the exhaust is the stock Type-S quads but I am debating on getting the mid-muffler removed as well in the future (if I can find a place that doesn't charge a billion dollars)...

3. Where exactly can I expect the power? I think I read somewhere the difference is only really felt after about 3k rpms?

Any other tips or advice? I know that installing the PCDs will increase the sulfer/rotten egg smell, but I'm not that worried about it. I'll also have to clean the exhaust tips more often, correct?

Thanks guys
Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by quanaman
Hey guys,

I've had my RV6 V3 J-pipe installed on my car for about 9 months already and am very happy with it.

I just purchased a brand new set of RV6 V3 PCDs with all the gaskets, defoulers, etc etc and will hopefully be having them installed in the next couple weeks. I debated doing the install myself but I have a guy I trust who can do it quickly and easily for just under $100 which I think is a steal.

My questions are:

1. Is there anything I should do to the PCDs before the install? Could I paint them black to keep them looking good? What about ceramic coating or powder coating? Worth it?

2. Any chance of rasp after PCDs? I will only have the PCDs and J-Pipe for now. The rest of the exhaust is the stock Type-S quads but I am debating on getting the mid-muffler removed as well in the future (if I can find a place that doesn't charge a billion dollars)...

3. Where exactly can I expect the power? I think I read somewhere the difference is only really felt after about 3k rpms?

Any other tips or advice? I know that installing the PCDs will increase the sulfer/rotten egg smell, but I'm not that worried about it. I'll also have to clean the exhaust tips more often, correct?

Thanks guys
1. you can get them coated, but that's totally up to you. you certainly don't have to. i would not paint them with anything.

2. you may experience some rasp between 3-4k RPM's...but since you still have a stock exhaust...it shouldn't be anything horrible. def don't take out your mid muffler. keep that in place.

3. pcd's are my favorite power mod for sure, hands down. you'll feel it pull harder in 2nd-3rd gear. it's hard to say exactly where on the powerband you'll feel it most. they do add a lot of power tho...you'll be satisfied.

you'll get a little bit of a smell with these installed, but it's not bad...i actually enjoy the smell.

your exhaust tips will get black w/ carbon a lot faster than normal...so make sure to clean them and the area above the exhaust bc that will also turn black over time and is a real nightmare to get off if you let it sit too long.

any other tips/advice? not really. the install kinda sucks. the front is really easy but the rear is a royal pain in the ass. i think it took me and a buddy about 4-5 hours to do them.

Inaccurate has a nice DIY on here somewhere, i used it when i did my install and it helped a lot.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
^ All of that.

2nd the motion on not removing the mid muffler. I have your same setup but with HFPC's which are a little less raspier than the PCD's. I have my mid-muffler deleted though. Every car is a little different, but I definitely have rasp from about 3000-4500 RPM. PCD's create a bit more rasp than HFPC's. So with the mid muffler deleted I think you'd have quite a bit of rasp unless you added a resonator. Since your mid-muffler already serves the purpose of quieting the exhaust, removing the muffler and adding a resonator seems stupid to me. I'd just leave the muffler in place.

For the rear cat, you'll have to remove the heat shield from the cat before you can remove it. The heat shield is attached to the cat with four bolts iirc. I ended up removing mine from the top of the engine. But there just simply isn't enough clearance for the cat with the heat sheild attached to make it between the firewall and the engine. Getting the heat shield removed in the small work space isn't fun. But don't even bother with trying to get the cat out without taking the heat shield off. You'll just get frustrated.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
TL-S

Thanks guys for the helpful replies!

I guess I just wanted to have them look good in the engine bay I know they shouldn't rust but I remember buying my J-pipe used and when I got there to look at it, It was discolored and was like shit, I thought it was going to be shiny and beautiful. Haha oh well.

I am waiting on an appointment time with my guy to have it installed. We shall see.

Any other pertinent info?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
BANNED

hmm...other tips...

oh yeah, be sure to take special care when transferring over the o2 sensors. they are fragile.

also make sure to aim the defoulers properly so that you don't throw any codes.

other than that, can't think of anything else really. like losiglow said, remove the heat shields before you try and take out the cat.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM
TL-S

The heat shields don't go back on with the deletes, correct?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
BANNED

^correct.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:31 PM
TL-S

Anyone have pics of their engine bay with PCDs installed?

I'm just curious how obvious it is that the cats are gone with the PCDs.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
for eliminate rasp (98%) change your actual oem resonator by magnaflow for better sound too

# magnaflow 10435 for stock exhaust 2 1/4 or 12640 for bigger !! with 12640 you can remove your mid-muffler !!