How to remove Boat Anchor

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to remove Boat Anchor

I read a couple of threads talking bout weight reduction and better handling with the removal of the boat anchor...jus wondering how to remove it
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See the thread titled "Putting the TL on a diet." It is in this Performance Parts & Modifications subforum.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
No need to remove the bumper. I didn't to get my anchor off. This was before I decided to remove the whole bumper. I took the anchor off as described below.

Remove the nuts highlighted with the GREEN arrow. Do NOT remove the bolts highlighted by the RED arrows.

[In the pic below] The nuts (GREEN arrows from above pic) are located in the location highlighted by the RED arrows in the pic below. To reach the nuts, lay on your back and crawl under the front of the car (close to the front license plate area). You should be able to reach your arm up into this area shown with the GREEN arrows. You will be reaching up along the front of the AC condenser (aka, "radiator"). Be careful to NOT touch the "radiator" fins. They bend super easily.

The green arrows in the pic below are somewhat misleading. The arrows in the pic travel in front of the bumper. You arm will be BEHIND the bumper. That is, your arm will be reaching upward between the bumper and the "radiator".

Also, use a box-in wrench. There is probably not much room to "swing" a ratchet.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Banned

wow thanks inaccurate...dat was alot of help..and btw how much does that anchor weigh? and did u get alot of difference from removing it...
Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Why the hell do they put this on the car, and why is it only present on the AT?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
what purpose does the Boat Anchor served, and what happen if you removed it.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:28 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 94eg!
Why the hell do they put this on the car, and why is it only present on the AT?
The auto is very droney, this is one of the 2 "vibration sinks" that supposedly helps reduces the NVH associated with it.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM
B A N N E D

I just removed both the one up front and the one in the trunk over the weekend....let me say that they are HEAVY....especially the one up front. You can take it off with a socket and extension from the top side by just removing the plastic cover over the radiator. Two bolts later and it will CLUNK to the ground...at which time it will be evident to you too that this is ONE HEAVY PIECE!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:35 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Do you notice any additional vibration/noise in the cabin now?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:37 PM
B A N N E D

None at all yet...but its only been a few days now. Dont expect anything.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

It weighs 7.5 pounds.

Using www.acuraoemparts.com as a reference, this "boat anchor" is called a "WEIGHT, FR. BUMPER DAMPER" and also refered to as a "FR. BUMPER DYNAMIC DAMPER". This is all that I know as facts.

Now, I do feel confidient to speculate the purpose. I am a very mechanical type of person. From the looks of the anchor and the manner in which it is mounted to the car, and the location that it is mounted, I speculate that the purpose of this anchor is the minimize light vibration at idle.

When I removed mine, I notice no differences in the car that would give a clue in the purpose of the dampner. Perhaps I had a very slight increase in vibratation as the engine idled in gear. But, this smoothed out when I installed the UR Pulley. But, as far as removing it, the key point is that I have suffered no perceivable bad effects. I did notice that the car was easier to toss into turns around town. Not a huge difference, but if you are paying attention, you will probably notice. I did.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also removed both front/rear "anchors" and havent had any problems
Old 08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

How do you remove the rear one? I cant seem to find it
Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyHP
I just removed both the one up front and the one in the trunk over the weekend....let me say that they are HEAVY....especially the one up front. You can take it off with a socket and extension from the top side by just removing the plastic cover over the radiator. Two bolts later and it will CLUNK to the ground...at which time it will be evident to you too that this is ONE HEAVY PIECE!

With my luck and mechanical ability, I'd probably undo the radiator. Or the Boat Anchor would fall on my toes.

Actually, I'd probably undo the radiator and that would fall on my toes.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:50 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
With my luck and mechanical ability, I'd probably undo the radiator. Or the Boat Anchor would fall on my toes.

Actually, I'd probably undo the radiator and that would fall on my toes.

Hahah X2
Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

It is where the red arrow is pointing. The felt lining needs to be un-snapped to gain access. See the pic below of the actual trunck damper. It is smaller than it appears in the pic. It is approx 4 inch wide and 1-1/2 inch tall. It weighs 1-1/2 pounds. This is not much weight, but it might make your trunck pop open slightly higher.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I did notice that the car was easier to toss into turns around town. Not a huge difference, but if you are paying attention, you will probably notice. I did.
Inaccurate, you may be getting a little carried away with the whole "diet" thing. If that's what you want to do is to take out 3oz here and 2oz there, that's great, but don't go around telling people that it makes a difference to remove something that the high payed Acura engineers designed to improve the car. By removing 7.5 lbs from anywhere on the car, you WILL NOT notice a difference at all. If I was guessing, it's all in your optimistic head, or a total result of all the "dieting" that you put your car on. I would not recommend taking this part off so you can "throw" your car in a corner easier, because it WILL NOT help. Unless of course you were to take all the other weighted items out. My . Don't mislead people by what you think.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilDogge
Inaccurate, you may be getting a little carried away with the whole "diet" thing. If that's what you want to do is to take out 3oz here and 2oz there, that's great, but don't go around telling people that it makes a difference to remove something that the high payed Acura engineers designed to improve the car. By removing 7.5 lbs from anywhere on the car, you WILL NOT notice a difference at all. If I was guessing, it's all in your optimistic head, or a total result of all the "dieting" that you put your car on. I would not recommend taking this part off so you can "throw" your car in a corner easier, because it WILL NOT help. Unless of course you were to take all the other weighted items out. My . Don't mislead people by what you think.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 PM
08 type-s

what do u mean it will not help?? weight is weight.....its a proven fact lighter moves better....its doesn't matter if its 3oz here 5oz there or 15lbs.... its going to make a difference.... the amount of difference depends on how much weight is removed, its simple mathematics he is entitled to his opinion as u are too yours... u are also trying to mislead people by what u think.... my
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Just take a dump before you get in the car. There's 7 or 8 lbs. for you and a lot less work.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by george3761
Just take a dump before you get in the car. There's 7 or 8 lbs. for you and a lot less work.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by george3761
+1 hahah
Old 08-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
+1 hahah
hey ballin, what year is your car? looks like a TLS
Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dragncivic
what do u mean it will not help?? weight is weight.....its a proven fact lighter moves better....its doesn't matter if its 3oz here 5oz there or 15lbs.... its going to make a difference.... the amount of difference depends on how much weight is removed, its simple mathematics he is entitled to his opinion as u are too yours... u are also trying to mislead people by what u think.... my
First, I'm not misleading anyone, hence "my "

Second, if you had 3000lbs on your back, and you heaved it as far as you could (lets say you threw it 30ft). Now take 7.5lbs off of your 3000 lbs (2992.5lbs) and you heaved that as far as you could. Do you really think that that 7.5lbs of difference, or that 5oz owners manual, or maybe those 15ozs of plastic engine dress up pieces are really going to make you be able to throw that 2992.5 lbs farther than your 3000lb throw? The difference would be so minuscule that you'd have to measure with a micrometer. THIS is why I'm saying that Inaccurate can't tell a difference just by driving the car. I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference figuring the new skid pad of the car.

Yes I agree, weight is weight. Now take the added total of all the little things that you've removed and they add up to 800lbs. Now most certainly you'll be able to throw that weight farther than you would the 3000lbs, and you don't need a micrometer to measure the difference.
Again, this is my opinion (and many other engineer's), or "my "
Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is where the red arrow is pointing. The felt lining needs to be un-snapped to gain access. See the pic below of the actual trunck damper. It is smaller than it appears in the pic. It is approx 4 inch wide and 1-1/2 inch tall. It weighs 1-1/2 pounds. This is not much weight, but it might make your trunck pop open slightly higher.

THis is a koo mod.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 AM
08 type-s

Second, if you had 3000lbs on your back, and you heaved it as far as you could (lets say you threw it 30ft). Now take 7.5lbs off of your 3000 lbs (2992.5lbs) and you heaved that as far as you could. Do you really think that that 7.5lbs of difference, or that 5oz owners manual, or maybe those 15ozs of plastic engine dress up pieces are really going to make you be able to throw that 2992.5 lbs farther than your 3000lb throw?
yes i do.... like i said its simple mathematics if the same amount of force is applied to 3000lbs and to 2992.5, the 2992.5 will be thrown further no matter how minuscule it might be, it STILL will go further... Now back to cars, that little difference whether an inch or centimeter might be the only difference between your tire staying the pavement or hitting the dirt..... this argument is over.... you just will not get it.... being an engineer and all... You don't have to be an engineer to figure this out, you just have to be a driver.....
Old 08-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dragncivic
yes i do.... like i said its simple mathematics if the same amount of force is applied to 3000lbs and to 2992.5, the 2992.5 will be thrown further no matter how minuscule it might be, it STILL will go further... Now back to cars, that little difference whether an inch or centimeter might be the only difference between your tire staying the pavement or hitting the dirt..... this argument is over.... you just will not get it.... being an engineer and all... You don't have to be an engineer to figure this out, you just have to be a driver.....
Hilarious! Okay, go ahead and remove all the parts that you're not sure why they're there. Just because you don't know what they do you think they're useless? This is why I jumped into this whole conversation. I know, like I said in my TWO previous posts, that the more weight you remove the more you'll notice, but for Inaccurate to say "I could tell a difference" when he took the "boat anchor" off is crazy.
Some of you guys are so smart, I wonder why you don't design your own car!
End note for entire conversation..... Minus 1000lbs=noticeable difference.... minus 7.5=no noticeable difference, no way, no how. Get real guys. :shakehead
Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hilarious! Okay, go ahead and remove all the parts that you're not sure why they're there. Just because you don't know what they do you think they're useless? This is why I jumped into this whole conversation. I know, like I said in my TWO previous posts, that the more weight you remove the more you'll notice, but for Inaccurate to say "I could tell a difference" when he took the "boat anchor" off is crazy.
End note for entire conversation..... Minus 1000lbs=noticeable difference.... minus 7.5=no noticeable difference, no way, no how. Get real guys. :shakehead
+1

I felt it when I removed my spare tire and a few other things from my truck. (I have to everytime I travel with 4 people and luggage...or I rub) So I felt 75+ lbs, but 7.5 is not something you'd feel. I have 7.5 pounds of stuff in my console.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
08 type-s

what i am saying has nothing to do with innacurate, all i'm saying is there is always a difference when you lighten the car up... whether 8lbs or 100lbs..... but i give up,....lol u win.....
Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Yea I took out my spare tire, and felt the difference...the boat anchor..barely
Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies from those that felt the improvement.

From my experiences with the TL Diet, it does take approx 30 to 40 lbs reduction for me to notice a "wow" type of improvement. Now, do this 10 times to 20 times (30 x 10, or 30 x 20), and you will have a TL that brakes, handles, and accelerates like you would NEVER had imagined was possible.

This is why I never argue with the Naysayers. They have not done it, and I have. No one would ever believe how my TL performers after the TL Diet.... hell, I never even thought that the TL could be such a thoroughbred. This is why the TL Diet is so addictive. No joke, my heart starts beating fast just typing this about how my car performs.

I think one main reason some folks would not experience any improvements is because they do not push the car's limits or drive in a spirited fashion. I am a "47 year old" teenager. I often do sh!t while driving that causes other conserative drivers to shake their head.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies from those that felt the improvement.

From my experiences with the TL Diet, it does take approx 30 to 40 lbs reduction for me to notice a "wow" type of improvement. Now, do this 10 times to 20 times (30 x 10, or 30 x 20), and you will have a TL that brakes, handles, and accelerates like you would NEVER had imagined was possible.

This is why I never argue with the Naysayers. They have not done it, and I have. No one would ever believe how my TL performers after the TL Diet.... hell, I never even thought that the TL could be such a thoroughbred. This is why the TL Diet is so addictive. No joke, my heart starts beating fast just typing this about how my car performs.

I think one main reason some folks would not experience any improvements is because they do not push the car's limits or drive in a spirited fashion. I am a "47 year old" teenager. I often do sh!t while driving that causes other conserative drivers to shake their head.
Your the best!!!!