head work

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
The discussions have gotten better in my opinion vs a couple years ago.

When I first saw what Comptech offered as engine management (or didn't offer) I was crucified for suggesting the supercharged cars were going to end up grenading the engines. Back then no one on here knew what knock was and why it was bad. People though I was crazy but about a year after I said this, they started blowing. I also predicted how much hp the turbo cars would make if properly tuned 2 years ago and I was within a couple hp. I argued that you could make 400 well tuned hp somewhat reliably and people argued that point based on the supercharged cars blowing at 320hp.

I think we all know now that it was the tune killing the supercharged cars, not the hp. At least now I don't sound completely crazy.

I personally prefer the turbo's powerband. Some perfer the stock like powerband of the supercharger. I love low end torque and the turbo TLs make more torque by 3,000rpm than the supercharged cars do period. It's something you learn to live with. I'm so used to backing out of the throttle right when the boost hits that I don't realize I do it anymore. Again, it more personal preference than anything.

To the OP and Bmeyer, what about slightly larger injectors. Couldn't this take it into a range where the computer could lean it out for idle and add enough fuel for acceleration and WOT? I'm assuming the OP is out of the ECU's correction range on stock injectors but I may be wrong.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Back then no one on here knew what knock was and why it was bad. People though I was crazy but about a year after I said this, they started blowing.
I was once one of them, but now I know better. That's why I'm trying to warn others of the perils of attempting to get high/reliable HP out of a stock + CT S/C setup. It's not quite as easy as bolting on the unit and running it day in and day out. Everyone looks at the $4k for the kit and thinks that they'll be hitting big numbers all day long. I'm well over 3x that now and still *hoping* to have a reliable, big HP setup.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
To the OP and Bmeyer, what about slightly larger injectors. Couldn't this take it into a range where the computer could lean it out for idle and add enough fuel for acceleration and WOT? I'm assuming the OP is out of the ECU's correction range on stock injectors but I may be wrong.
I'm not sure that it'd really help though? The ECU is trying to target a specific A/F ratio, and no matter what the size of the injectors, I think it would either ramp up, or down the injector pulse in order to obtain the desired A/F. (I could be way off though - I'm still learning.)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:46 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
to the op, I apologize, I should have put that in red text

but yeah def invest in a a/f gauge that way you can really be safer than sorry