Going Custom Exhaust all the way.....need help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Going Custom Exhaust all the way.....need help !!!!

Yes you read it right, I am not really in for buying Jpipe, 3rd cat and exhaust....infact was thinking of building myself one.....

After the PCD's (only item which will be purchased) I want to make my own jpipe, to the tips.....

JPIPE: What are the basic methodologies for maximum gains ???
Long/Short primary pipes
Equal length on those or inequal lengths will matter ???
Am planning on staying NA (no turbo or supercharger) so what will be optimum width of this pipe (2.5" or 2.25" or should it be 2.25" primaries merging into 2.5" main pipe ???
Am thinking of merging the primaries into one downpipe at around 3rd cat using a magnaflow true-y-pipe.....i think that should give me a pretty good length on the primaries and the true y pipe should do justice to this.....

The downpipe from there to the mufflers would be 2.5" (not 3 since am not going turbo)......

MUFFLERS: So many different types !!!!
Should i go with oval or round....what length and width.....i see a lot of people going with 4" x 9" oval....
I dont want it to sound very loud, no drone either, want something like an exotic tone
So far am not looking at resonators but if need be (excessive drone) i might go with one....

So to sum it up, i was thinking:
2.5" from precats, merge near 3rd cat using true y pipe into 2.5", all the way back, mandrel bents, true y pipe splits into 2.5", into mufflers, to tips

am aiming for max gains thro the power curve, how will this setup prove to be in that case !!! ???

what are the finner things am missing here ???
Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
For the J-pipe, google "exhaust scavenging". You want the best free flowing options.

You should just get a 2.5/3" straight pipe throughout your cats.

Exhaust, any 2.5" double or 3" single. You're going to have to test your options with different tips, resonators, etc...

Or can we finally make Opel reveal his custom exhaust.

Nonetheless, I think you should get the turbo and get a custom 2.5" dual exhaust. You'll be set
Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
There is something more important than just a free flowing jpipe (click here)

The BEST performing jpipe (custom built) (click here)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
For the J-pipe, google "exhaust scavenging". You want the best free flowing options.

You should just get a 2.5/3" straight pipe throughout your cats.

Exhaust, any 2.5" double or 3" single. You're going to have to test your options with different tips, resonators, etc...

Or can we finally make Opel reveal his custom exhaust.

Nonetheless, I think you should get the turbo and get a custom 2.5" dual exhaust. You'll be set
I dont have enuff knowledge to keep this car running with a turbo setup....and this being my daily driver, i dont really wanna put something in her which makes her sit in the garage for prolonged periods !!!

Just to make sure if we are on the same page, your telling me to put a straight thro 3" pipe for my precats !!! ???

i was thinking about doing a true dual, but then didnt know how it will sound and the kind of gains i can expect from it....plus if i end up putting a resonator, i would need 2 of them

Opel was helping me out with the setup, but lost his emails somewhere and thought making a thread to get a lot many more options.....

UR THE LINK KING !!!

and i like that LOL....i read that thread long back and again now....so longer primaries yield more gains by helping in exhaust scavenging.....

what about the width....you think 2.5" through out or should i do a 2.25 merge into 2.5 ??
Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I might be the "Link King", but 04accordcpe is the "J-pipe King". He designed several of his own custom j-pipes and tried nearly every aftermarket j-pipe.
Hopefully he will chime-in with suggestions on the primary pipe diameter. If not, perhaps try to send a PM to 04accordcpe.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM

yeah i was thinking of sending him, opel, IHC a PM....but there are so many dude's out there with so much knowledge on this topic....hope they will chime in !!!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 PM

is it just me or i dont think the primaries are the same length in the 2nd link you posted
Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
causing mischief & mayham

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are pretty damn close. Dont let that big bend trick you.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:25 PM

yup that bend was sure deceiving !!!

but yeah still waiting on some ideas.....
Old 12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd recommend against the Magnaflow Y-Merge. If I'm thinking of the same one you are referring to, it's a stamped piece. If you want a truly nice Y-Merge, go with one from Burns Stainless. Since you are aiming for maximum power from NA, the point is to keep exhaust velocities up. You are already going wit the PCD, so focus on the J-Pipe as this is going to play a key role in your setup.

2.5" primaries into a 2.5" collector will be fine, as will 2.25" primaries. The latter will allow you to run longer primaries. We've tested anything from stock size up to 2.5" as well as various lengths. The common hearsay "longer the better" is true, up to a certain point! Exhaust gasses travel in pulses, coming down each side of the J-Pipe until being merged via the Y-Merge.

The exhaust pulses do not have unlimited energy, thus at some point their pulse velocity diminishes to a point where scavenging is minimal. You want to create a point in which you catch the pulses right where the velocity drop off starts to become useless for making the primaries any longer. That's where you implement the Y-Merge, which if placed correctly will collect the varying pulses from each primary, and position it to where pulse A feeds into the tail of pulse B, this is what helps in maintaining velocity as there is a scavenging affect from the tail of each pulse.

After the merge, implement a flex pipe. 2.5" after that all the way back with 2 mufflers, and a resonator if you want.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM

^^^ thank u sir....

no wonder you have build one of the best exhaust !!! if only i had the money i would have jumped on the ATLP's Base....

what are your comments on a true dual ??? 2.5" dual.....prolly a X pipe in the middle ???
Old 12-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This jpipe was in 04accordcpe's car for a couple days then on my ride for a couple years. I just recently hooked him back up with it. F***ing best mod i've done to my car for the price hands down. Really got good low end trq from it. A lot of ppl hit me up wanting it but I promised it back to sean. Hit him up tho to see if he can get a few of these made for you guys
Old 12-11-2009, 05:18 PM

i just pm'ed him and i hate cars and opel.....

i really want the get the custom exhaust pretty soon
Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've only got a couple seconds but wanted to put this thought in your head. If you're going full custom why do a J-pipe? Do a true dual exhaust with an H-pipe. It will likely sound better and it will perform better. Got to go but I will be back for more detail.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
... when reading "custom" first thing I thought of was td... seperate 2.25" from the precat deletes 2 long resonators to shut the drone up... to an H or X then some nice mufflers... NO Y

if you look at the stock exhaust you are using 2 Y pipes...not good... td is the custom way to go

sean's long primary jpipe is a good way to route the tubing to have equal length all the way back
Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I've only got a couple seconds but wanted to put this thought in your head. If you're going full custom why do a J-pipe? Do a true dual exhaust with an H-pipe. It will likely sound better and it will perform better. Got to go but I will be back for more detail.
IHC's beat me to it lol. yes, if your going custom all the way, no jpipe is needed. its basically a full exhaust system from the PCD's back. ive posted these pics up a few times in the past, but will once more. print them out and take them to a reputable exhaust shop for reference.

[
IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/04accordcpe/6365Custom_Exhaust_005.jpg[/IMG]

i cant say enough about this guys work!

and of course my jpipe! also courtesy of labree

Originally Posted by USSI
his jpipe was in 04accordcpe's car for a couple days then on my ride for a couple years. I just recently hooked him back up with it. F***ing best mod i've done to my car for the price hands down. Really got good low end trq from it. A lot of ppl hit me up wanting it but I promised it back to sean. Hit him up tho to see if he can get a few of these made for you guys
thank you sir for selling me back the jpipe!!!!!

it truely is a bad a$$ jpipe, otherwise i wouldnt have bought it back. i believe deleting the 3rd cat in order to make the primaries longer, is the difference maker here and the best setup possible for these cars. it even tucks up MORE than the stock set up too!

its back on my car and OMG! what a difference a jpipe makes

so lets recap, stock < RV6 < ATLP < labree FTW!!
XLR8 would probably be second, but i exclude it cause its not slammed friendly AT ALL!! it would be destroyed after a week

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 12-12-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:34 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
what happend to your atlp v1 w/ the skidplate?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:35 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by stillhere153
what happend to your atlp v1 w/ the skidplate?
sold it to my buddy
Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM

thank you so much ihc/stillhere/04accordcpe

so what is see here is a 2.5" true dual....2 resonators and 2 mufflers and tips....

since i plan on staying NA the what tubing diameter will be the best ??? 2.5" or 2.25".....

also since my knowledge is kinda limited, can you tell me what does an H-pipe do ???
Old 12-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by swoosh
thank you so much ihc/stillhere/04accordcpe

so what is see here is a 2.5" true dual....2 resonators and 2 mufflers and tips....

since i plan on staying NA the what tubing diameter will be the best ??? 2.5" or 2.25".....

also since my knowledge is kinda limited, can you tell me what does an H-pipe do ???
H-pipe equalizes pressure, helps with scavenging, and makes it sound better. You can imagine, 3 cylinders coming out of each pipe would sound weird without something to connect them together.

2.25" is more than enough for any NA setup below 500whp.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:57 PM

also what is the o-pipe and how does it work??? any clues ???

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=2
Old 12-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
IHC's beat me to it lol. yes, if your going custom all the way, no jpipe is needed. its basically a full exhaust system from the PCD's back. ive posted these pics up a few times in the past, but will once more. print them out and take them to a reputable exhaust shop for reference.

[
IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/04accordcpe/6365Custom_Exhaust_005.jpg[/IMG]

i cant say enough about this guys work!

and of course my jpipe! also courtesy of labree

thank you sir for selling me back the jpipe!!!!!

it truely is a bad a$$ jpipe, otherwise i wouldnt have bought it back. i believe deleting the 3rd cat in order to make the primaries longer, is the difference maker here and the best setup possible for these cars. it even tucks up MORE than the stock set up too!

its back on my car and OMG! what a difference a jpipe makes

so lets recap, stock < RV6 < ATLP < labree FTW!!
XLR8 would probably be second, but i exclude it cause its not slammed friendly AT ALL!! it would be destroyed after a week
So you're the one who stole my Labree J-pipe I was about to buy from ussi
Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

That dual exhaust is just beautiful. I wouldn't want to drive the car for fear of getting it dirty lol.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
how much did that custom exhaust run?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:12 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
So you're the one who stole my Labree J-pipe I was about to buy from ussi
you mean i stole MY labree jpipe BACK from ussi

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That dual exhaust is just beautiful. I wouldn't want to drive the car for fear of getting it dirty lol.
i know lol.

the guy does some awesome work! he even makes his own flanges in-house too, like the ones you see on the jpipe. he makes it look so easy.

look at what he does to all of his exhaust systems.

Professional TIG-welding: All flanges are machined flat and
are internally match-ported and polished for MAXIMUM AIR FLOW.

Originally Posted by AckTL05
how much did that custom exhaust run?
iirc, it was rediculously low. for the piping plus labor was like 700-750. drew (the owner of the accord) brought in his own mufflers. i think they were tanabe's. you gotta remember, this was back in early 05, dont think you can get it for that nowadays. probably looking at around 900-1000 depending if you want SS or aluminized piping.

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 12-12-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm anyone know how that true dual sounds?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 PM

so i am pretty convinced on the true dual down pipe.....this setup ignores the j-pipe and the y-pipe.....

can some one point me in the right direction wrt mufflers and precats !!! ???

the only aftermarket precats i see are richie version 2....i have innovative motor mounts (just for the record) !!!! are there any other options here ???

now with the mufflers can someone help me with the type and brand....magnaflow/flowmaster/dynomax ??? and straight-thro/chambered ????

what are the qualities you wanna look at while choosing between mufflers ???
Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
ttt
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

so i am pretty convinced on the true dual down pipe.....this setup ignores the j-pipe and the y-pipe.....

can some one point me in the right direction wrt mufflers and precats !!! ???

the only aftermarket precats i see are richie version 2....i have innovative motor mounts (just for the record) !!!! are there any other options here ???

now with the mufflers can someone help me with the type and brand....magnaflow/flowmaster/dynomax ??? and straight-thro/chambered ????

what are the qualities you wanna look at while choosing between mufflers ???
u can go with richie's pcd's or get some custom ones made. I would go with richies though. As for mufflers, I think I am going to ditch my atlp jpipe and go the same route as you. I will probably go with magnaflow resonators and mufflers. I like their sound and they are affordable as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM

^^^ yeah dude the only hold up for the true dual is running catless....after 2 years when u go to get ur plates you will need to replace the PCD's with stock cats and then have 2 of the 3rd cats....since u have different pipings !!!!

Well if i can pass emissions with only precats then i will jump on this setup !!!

BTW wrt to cost....

$300 for PCD's
$500 for all labor and all mandrel bents and welding
$400 for 2 mufflers/2 resonators/2 tips

So looking at $1200....can some one say if the $500 is a fair price for the 2.25" dual piping + labor + mandrel bents ???
Old 01-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
my friend had piping bent for his durango and it was like 200 installed with labor. 500 if its EXCELLENT JOB, with parts all said and done. I heard a TL with magnaflow mufflers, stock tips and third muffler gone along with resonator gone and it sounded real nice..
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

I just picked up a 2007 TL Type-S but it is missing one set of exhaust tips on the passenger side - not available via the Acura dealer. Would you be willing to sell the tips from your old exhaust system? If so how much and are they in good shape?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by AckTL05
my friend had piping bent for his durango and it was like 200 installed with labor. 500 if its EXCELLENT JOB, with parts all said and done. I heard a TL with magnaflow mufflers, stock tips and third muffler gone along with resonator gone and it sounded real nice..
Damn that means the $500 is expensive, since am providing all the parts. All he is providing is a dual 2.25" downpipe with mandrel bents !!!

Originally Posted by hk91
I just picked up a 2007 TL Type-S but it is missing one set of exhaust tips on the passenger side - not available via the Acura dealer. Would you be willing to sell the tips from your old exhaust system? If so how much and are they in good shape?
WOW !!! dude i wish i had a TL-S, mine is a base TL....Check the Blackmarket, you might have some luck !!!

To everybody else, how do i know if the bents are mandrel bents....i dont want the shop to rip me off saying, they are mandrel bends but in reality they are not !!!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

To everybody else, how do i know if the bents are mandrel bents....i dont want the shop to rip me off saying, they are mandrel bends but in reality they are not !!!
oh believe me you'll know. mandrel bends maintains the same ID all the way through the bends.

crush bends are just like they sound; the piping is crushed slightly while bending, decreasing the ID of the pipe.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 PM

^^^ thanks man....since u have a lot of know how....

you think $500 is fine for 2.25" dual piping with mandrel bends ??? am still contemplating between 2.25" and 2.5".....wanna get a smooth power band thro out.....and sound exotic....no rasp !!!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Someone needs to post a video of that TL with the true dual...PLEASE!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM

gimme a little time....am going to put up videos (with no music playing) and dynographs !!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

hmmm, would hks mufflers/tip be too loud for this? would they even work in this situation?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
gimme a little time....am going to put up videos (with no music playing) and dynographs !!!!
Please make sure you do a few WOT drive bys and cruise drive bys at a static rpm and of course a good ol' rev from the back but PLEASE DO NOT have your car in a garage or anywhere where the noise will be altered.

Try and use this as a guideline. These are the best exhaust videos because they help give alot better sense of actual sound under different conditions...not to mention C30A's sound AMAZING! Honda = win.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ yeah dude the only hold up for the true dual is running catless....after 2 years when u go to get ur plates you will need to replace the PCD's with stock cats and then have 2 of the 3rd cats....since u have different pipings !!!!

Well if i can pass emissions with only precats then i will jump on this setup !!!

BTW wrt to cost....

$300 for PCD's
$500 for all labor and all mandrel bents and welding
$400 for 2 mufflers/2 resonators/2 tips

So looking at $1200....can some one say if the $500 is a fair price for the 2.25" dual piping + labor + mandrel bents ???
Here in Maryland all you do is pay $50 bucks or so and you get new stickers for your plates. And for emissions they hook up an obd2 scanner, and if no cel is detcted you pass. no visual inspection and no smog. So I'll be fine catless

Quick Reply: Going Custom Exhaust all the way.....need help !!!!