Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm def. getting one, just waiting a bit until some kinks are worked out
Old 10-25-2005, 01:58 AM
300whp 237wtrq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully i'll get one by next end of summer... saving up now I REALLY want one.. my only regret in selling my 6gen accord was not supercharging it first...
Old 10-25-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
No need for one. Where would you put it?
again, thats for comptech to figure out. It was an idea/suggestion.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 AM

Would bigger fuel injectors help the setup of a Comptech S/C?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Not to go off topic here folks, but has anyone looked at the view count for the 2 Supercharger threads?? Over 24,000 in total!!! There has got to be a ton of interest out there. I'm assuming most people are interested, but either practicality or $$ is the main barrier for not going through with it. Just an aside... now back to collecting a list of definite buyers!
And a large portion of the posts have nothing technical in terms of the Comptech SC. Most of the posts are about how lame Comptech is on this item, "when will they have it", "it will be here on XYZ phantom date", "i am getting it when it comes out", etc.

I saw the question posted, "Who here placed an order for the SC", and thus far I don't see many saying they coughed up $5k !
Old 10-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
^ Some sort of vendetta against Comptech?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Advanced

Total count thus far having already ordered the supercharger: 3

Who else?! Fess up! Someone else on here has to have ordered one.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Instructor

you guys can "test" it out first then ill let u know if imma get one or not... xP
Old 10-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Advanced

im sorry but i dont have the time to read through this.. what hp is this thing putting out? and what all is included in the kit?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Racer

i saved up 5k .. its just when it comes out .. thats 5 gs might have gone to my coffin cuz ill be too old
Old 10-30-2005, 05:50 AM

posted by sec in another forum.. the new Civic also has the same Carbon Fiber Plate. Looks so nice with that plate on it. Im still dreaming of a S/C.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ImRichBiatch!
im sorry but i dont have the time to read through this.. what hp is this thing putting out? and what all is included in the kit?
60HP is what they are saying.

Quoted for 04-05 TL:

Powered by a screw type blower unit for smooth power delivery.
Includes:
-Blower unit
-Icebox Intake
-Fuel System Upgrades
-ESM Unit
-Battery Tray & Comptech
Battery Tie-down
-All Brackets, Belt and Hardware
Requires new 51R battery.
50-state legal: CARB EO# D-455-15
Old 10-30-2005, 08:43 AM

I felt this was a great post from Scalbert in another forum about "Supercharger Myths" which relate to the TL. Great read!

----------------------------

In response to recent statements concerning the value of the supercharger I felt a little analysis and explanation was in order. First off, the value of any modification; be it stereo, performance or show, is exclusive to the individual. What one person finds valuable another may find worthless. There is no right or wrong; it is just a personal decision based on an individuals wants.

There are two main points which seem to be the focus of the SC; the power output and the price. These are somewhat related as people often associate the price per HP ratio of the given modification.

The first focus point I was aware of was the power output increase. It is suggested that the power output is not enough and should be higher for such a kit even though it does give about 60 WHP more in the 6-Speed. IMO, and I mean that, Comptech did not design the kit for all out power. They designed it to be on the conservative side and be as reliable as the remainder of the vehicle. This is why such a conservative boost level is being run out of the box; to insure longevity. By doing this Comptech, with its relationship with Honda NA and many dealers, has provided a kit which will not, in many cases, void a warranty. Although this is not documented, it has become apparent that many dealers will not refuse warranty service on vehicles with Comptech parts. This is not all inclusive but does carry weight in many locations. There are very few aftermarket parts providers that can share this level of involvement at the dealer level. As such, Comptech is tasked with the duty to continue to provide quality parts which do not significantly detract from the original durability. You cannot make twice the power without expecting degradation in reliability. So a compromise is made between all out power and reliability of both the original equipment items and the supplied parts.

Also, it was not Comptech’s intention to build a drag monster. They wanted to provide a kit which was useful for everyday driving and to simply enhance an already fine motor. Comparisons have been made and people have suggested that nitrous would be better, that is true if only drag strip performance is desired. If they only cared about getting the best power for the dollar and not worry about people’s warranties I am sure they would have done so. But concern was placed on having a daily driven vehicle which is accepted by many and will also be reliable.

Of note, the gains at part throttle are significantly greater; this is probably the area of most significant impact. To get out in front of traffic does not require at or near WOT. 30% throttle is more than enough and allows you to shift early. In fact I rarely go WOT and normally shift before 4500 revs all while having plenty of power to get me to and just above the speed limit quickly.

Another useful point is the lack of need to downshift. I leave it in 6th gear on the highway and easily pass cars at a rate I would have previously had to move down a gear or two.

Also, what good is nitrous on a road course or back roads; it is worthless. Although the CL/TL is not an ideal car for the auto-x or road course, some people may like to test its ability there. But more importantly, many of us like spirited back road driving. Being able to power out of a turn at a quicker pace is welcome.

So the SC might not be your cup of tea if you are more focused on 1/4 mile ET's. But to those of us who have purchased it we wanted enhanced ability from the current vehicle; not an ET monster.

However, I will make one point about the strip times. Most feel that 0.5 seconds would be the expected improvement in ET. But people often overlook the 5 - 7 MPH improvement; such as with the magazine test of the Comptech CL-S6SC against a stock 6-Speed. People slammed the low 14 second ET but failed to notice the concurrently run stock time in the mid-high 14's. This was again a 0.5 second difference. But the trap speed was 104 MPH to the stock 97 MPH; that is a 7 MPH increase which is significant!!

But when even more power is desired, it is attainable, that is where we come in. I liken this to buying the CL-S and adding an intake and headers. Sure, Acura could have offered the car with more power to begin with but didn’t for various reasons. But we can take what they have provided and make it better. Take for instances the HBP (Higher Boost Pulley) we can get for less than $100. This gives us an additional 15 – 20 WHP and the same in torque. Soon we will have an intercooler and even more boost which should double the gains provided by the base kit. Obviously we are taking this further than originally intended but that is our call, not Comptech’s. They provided an excellent base kit which might be left alone for 100k miles of care free driving or we can choose to get more out of it.

Now on to the next aspect, the price, or rather value of the kit. I first want to put the price into perspective as many people think Comptech is charging too much. The kit can be purchased for about $4000 right now and I will use that value for my example. As such I would imagine that the distributor price would be in the mid to low $3000 range, say $3200 - $3500 to Comptech. I tried to analyze the components and determine a cost based on an assumed market potential of about a hundred units. This may be higher or lower but I do not think it is going to be significantly different over a few year period. Below is a list of the parts and an estimated cost.

$1000 Magnuson/Eaton MP62 Blower with drive shaft
$500 Casting and machining of supplemental parts
$100 Intake Kit
$100 Fuel Pump
$100 FPR
$50 ESM
$250 R&D Costs
$150 Warranty Replacement Costs
$250 General Overhead, Taxes, etc.

$2500 Total

Generally no one would like to manufacture anything with a margin less than 30% and that is stretching it. But for this sake I will use that figure which gives a sale price of $3571, more than my assumed price of $3200 - $3500. I am sure I am off on some numbers but not too significantly and should serve to identify what it costs what it does.

I know people have compared other kits which sell for $3500 or so. That is not a valid comparison as there is a much larger market which would certainly reduce the price. But when compared to other limited potential markets it seems fairly reasonable. Look at what an SC kit runs for a 3-Series; normally a couple grand more.

I have heard that the value isn’t there when compared to other modifications. Well, that is true, the first few and minor mods do produce better HP per dollar ratio. This is true with any make or model. But one thing which has been alluded to by many is the comparison to headers in that they provide much better value. When looking at a single point on the dyno chart at about 6500 revs, yes, there is a significant difference. But when you look at the entire plot things become more balanced. I did the following chart to show relative gains. I also included the upcoming IC and the current HBP with estimated gains.

http://www.flwse.com/images/steve/C...ative_Gains.JPG

Based on the above data I calculated the total power gains at 200 RPM increments from 1400 revs. Below are the final numbers:

236 - Intake
184 - Headers
1036 - SC
1346 - SC+HBP
1813 - SC+IC+HBP

Looking at the numbers and then relating the price we get the following:

236 / $230 = 1.02 HP/$ - Intake
184 / $1000 = 0.18 HP/$ or 184 / $400 = 0.46 HP/$ (Dependant on the Manufacturer) - Headers
1036 / $4000 = 0.26 HP/$ - SC
1346 / $4100 = 0.39 HP/$ - SC+HBP
1813 / $5500 = 0.33 HP/$ - SC+IC+HBP

As you can see it takes more money to get more power and always occurs in a non-linear fashion. Once again, this is not specific to this make. However, it is apparent that the gains are not completely out of line when you take the total power gained. In fact, when compared to the Comptech headers the value is much greater. Also, for someone who just has the Icebox Intake they could state that anyone buying headers is a fool when you look at the relative gains.

In the end it is still a personal preference along with a financial one. I don’t spend a ton of money on stereo equipment as it sounds good enough for me with the simple and cost effective changes I have made. Nor do I spend money on the appearance of the vehicle as I prefer a simplistic look so as not to draw attention to myself. But at no point do I find anything wrong with someone hooking up their ride with a full entertainment system, body kit and nice rims. I think it is great for someone to take an avid interest in their vehicle.

But to me I just like better performance than the average vehicle of the same make and model and other similar vehicles. At no point to I expect it to be an all out racers; there are better vehicles for that. I want to retain my smooth ride, great cruising capability all while being able to out accelerate most other cars when needed or attack an apex and power out of the turn. I prefer taking what I have and getting more out of it, that is exactly what the SC provides.

Source: /forums/showthread.php?p=544778#post544778
Old 10-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by invincible569
I felt this was a great post from Scalbert in another forum about "Supercharger Myths" which relate to the TL. Great read!

----------------------------
That was posted on Acura world.com, and they are giving away from cool stuff.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ravingstylez
i saved up 5k .. its just when it comes out .. thats 5 gs might have gone to my coffin cuz ill be too old
Huh? Another poster here said that they are taking orders for a November shipping. Why have you not coughed up your $5k yet, what are you waiting for?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Instructor

lets have fun poking holes in whats said here

1.(quote)Of note, the gains at part throttle are significantly greater; this is probably the area of most significant impact. To get out in front of traffic does not require at or near WOT. 30% throttle is more than enough and allows you to shift early. In fact I rarely go WOT and normally shift before 4500 revs all while having plenty of power to get me to and just above the speed limit quickly.

if you know eaton superchargers,they make way to much heat for this to work ,,your lucky for 3 to 5 pulls with a ice box before it gains to much heat

2.(quote)But when even more power is desired, it is attainable, that is where we come in. I liken this to buying the CL-S and adding an intake and headers. Sure, Acura could have offered the car with more power to begin with but didn’t for various reasons. But we can take what they have provided and make it better. Take for instances the HBP (Higher Boost Pulley) we can get for less than $100. This gives us an additional 15 – 20 WHP and the same in torque. Soon we will have an intercooler and even more boost which should double the gains provided by the base kit. Obviously we are taking this further than originally intended but that is our call, not Comptech’s. They provided an excellent base kit which might be left alone for 100k miles of care free driving or we can choose to get more out of it.

yes smaller pullies will add more boost,but 11.5/1 compression ratio doesnt like boost,say by to bottom end

3.(quote)They provided an excellent base kit which might be left alone for 100k miles of care free driving or we can choose to get more out of it.

sure,sure read last one for answer,also tennie dont likey likey ,

4(quote).Of note, the gains at part throttle are significantly greater; this is probably the area of most significant impact. To get out in front of traffic does not require at or near WOT. 30% throttle is more than enough and allows you to shift early. In fact I rarely go WOT and normally shift before 4500 revs all while having plenty of power to get me to and just above the speed limit quickly.

but thats why they make v-8's
acura put a six for gas mileage

5(quote).As you can see it takes more money to get more power and always occurs in a non-linear fashion. Once again, this is not specific to this make. However, it is apparent that the gains are not completely out of line when you take the total power gained. In fact, when compared to the Comptech headers the value is much greater. Also, for someone who just has the Icebox Intake they could state that anyone buying headers is a fool when you look at the relative gains.

to bad the engine only makes power on top end,you have to balance parts with how you car makes its power-what your tring to do is shove torque do a torqueless motor,can you say rods?or trannie?

lastly
i love superchargers but this kit and the car dont work well with each other,eatons suc due to heat problems,if you notice no drag racers use them,always turbos or vortech or kenne bell
what you need to do to get this to work is rebulid you whole bottom end for strenght and get lower compresion ratio blower pistons
then have some race company make you srtaght cut gears for the trannie and a special clutch so the trannie will hold
but the last problem i dont know how to fix,,,,,
FWD

if you want a 60hp and dont mind the trannie ,get nitrous
no safe either but a hell of a lot cheaper,i think are 150 to 300 bucks
thats if you know what your doing

im sorry but its like saying to make a mdx(cuase its all wheel drive) in to a drag car,
theres more then just putting a a supercharger involved
why do you think all the fast cars at the trachk are domisetic?

sorry for bad grammar
Old 11-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Team Owner

Wow we've got another one...

1.(quote)Of note, the gains at part throttle are significantly greater; this is probably the area of most significant impact. To get out in front of traffic does not require at or near WOT. 30% throttle is more than enough and allows you to shift early. In fact I rarely go WOT and normally shift before 4500 revs all while having plenty of power to get me to and just above the speed limit quickly.

if you know eaton superchargers,they make way to much heat for this to work ,,your lucky for 3 to 5 pulls with a ice box before it gains to much heat
Then you obviously don't know eaton superchargers. Do they cause a rise in IAT? Absolutely. Does that increase in IAT negate the increase in power being created? Absolutely not. You've obviously never driven a supercharged TL or CL.

Eaton blowers are also used by Ford, Jaguar, and GM in factory production cars.

2.(quote)But when even more power is desired, it is attainable, that is where we come in. I liken this to buying the CL-S and adding an intake and headers. Sure, Acura could have offered the car with more power to begin with but didn’t for various reasons. But we can take what they have provided and make it better. Take for instances the HBP (Higher Boost Pulley) we can get for less than $100. This gives us an additional 15 – 20 WHP and the same in torque. Soon we will have an intercooler and even more boost which should double the gains provided by the base kit. Obviously we are taking this further than originally intended but that is our call, not Comptech’s. They provided an excellent base kit which might be left alone for 100k miles of care free driving or we can choose to get more out of it.

yes smaller pullies will add more boost,but 11.5/1 compression ratio doesnt like boost,say by to bottom end
The K20A2 runs 11.0:1 compression just like the 3rd Gen TL. The K20A2 revs to nearly 9,000 rpm and has sustained boost levels upwards of 12psi on the stock motor without problems. Again, this isn't the intent of Comptech, they are providing a reliable kit that increases the performance of the car designed to be a daily driver.

3.(quote)They provided an excellent base kit which might be left alone for 100k miles of care free driving or we can choose to get more out of it.

sure,sure read last one for answer,also tennie dont likey likey ,
Sure sure? You're passing that off as if it is false? People have 70K miles on their 2nd Gen CL and TL blowers and they've had ZERO problems. The blower oil doesn't need changed till near 100K. Also, there has not been an increase whatsoever in transmission failures on CLs or TLs that are boosted. Both for the automatics and the 6-speeds.

4(quote).Of note, the gains at part throttle are significantly greater; this is probably the area of most significant impact. To get out in front of traffic does not require at or near WOT. 30% throttle is more than enough and allows you to shift early. In fact I rarely go WOT and normally shift before 4500 revs all while having plenty of power to get me to and just above the speed limit quickly.

but thats why they make v-8's
acura put a six for gas mileage
Again, what's your point? They put in a V6 so we have to do the best with what we have. If you don't like it buy a different car?

5(quote).As you can see it takes more money to get more power and always occurs in a non-linear fashion. Once again, this is not specific to this make. However, it is apparent that the gains are not completely out of line when you take the total power gained. In fact, when compared to the Comptech headers the value is much greater. Also, for someone who just has the Icebox Intake they could state that anyone buying headers is a fool when you look at the relative gains.

to bad the engine only makes power on top end,you have to balance parts with how you car makes its power-what your tring to do is shove torque do a torqueless motor,can you say rods?or trannie?
Wrong again ( ) Only power on the top end? Take a look at that torque curve. Looks pretty flat to me. With 250 ft-lbs available before 3,000 rpm. And that's at 4psi.

http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dy...cls6spd_sc.pdf

And I said it before, but I'll say it again. No one has had any problems with internal engine parts being damaged nor have they had an increase in transmission problems.

lastly
i love superchargers but this kit and the car dont work well with each other,eatons suc due to heat problems,if you notice no drag racers use them,always turbos or vortech or kenne bell
what you need to do to get this to work is rebulid you whole bottom end for strenght and get lower compresion ratio blower pistons
then have some race company make you srtaght cut gears for the trannie and a special clutch so the trannie will hold
but the last problem i dont know how to fix,,,,,
FWD
Comparing the Acura TL to a drag car Great Idea!

if you want a 60hp and dont mind the trannie ,get nitrous
no safe either but
a hell of a lot cheaper,i think are 150 to 300 bucks
thats if you know what your doing
More like $500-600. More chances for damage. Only on at WOT.

why do you think all the fast cars at the trachk are domisetic?
You're right ALL the fast cars at the track are domestic, or "domisetic" as you say. That's why all motor civics are running 7s and stock bottom end Supra's are way into the 8s.

Get a clue. Then post again.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Dear mrsteve,

I don't totally agree with acura101west, but he has his points. Someone mentioned that Comptech is conservative on their pulley setup to achieve long term reliability. That's a boat load of crap. The reason why Comptech can't use the full capabilities of the SC they use is because the motor is simply not setup to take the high compression.

I don't really care that you say "we run 12psi all the time on stock bottom ends", maybe, but YOU ARE NOT RUNNING +12psi ON TOP OF A 11:1 MOTOR USING PUMP GAS ! It simply won't work.

Although Comptech has almost come up with a real SC kit, a simple NOS setup would be alot easier and alot cheaper.

And again, this is not easy stuff, so I only take advice from people like Kenne Bell and Weiand and the very talented guys at Vortech. Eaton builds products for OEM level motors, and they are designed to work together, not thrown on top of.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2_FastTLs
Dear mrsteve,

I don't totally agree with acura101west, but he has his points. Someone mentioned that Comptech is conservative on their pulley setup to achieve long term reliability. That's a boat load of crap. The reason why Comptech can't use the full capabilities of the SC they use is because the motor is simply not setup to take the high compression.
You are correct. Comptech isn't using the blower to it's full potential because that isn't their intent. The blower kit isn't designed to make the TL a drag-strip monster. It's designed to enhance the already stellar platform by increasing the horsepower marginally. If the blower was used to it's full capacity (roughly 10-11psi) without intercooling, tons of fuel, etc you would blow the motor. I'm not disputing that. But the boost levels will most likely be around 4psi.

I don't really care that you say "we run 12psi all the time on stock bottom ends", maybe, but YOU ARE NOT RUNNING +12psi ON TOP OF A 11:1 MOTOR USING PUMP GAS ! It simply won't work.
It can't be done on the J-Series motors but it can be done and has successfully be done dozens of times on the K-Series motors without problems. The K-Series runs 11.0:1 compression and it supports that much boost on pump gas. It requires 650cc injectors or sometimes even larger 750cc's but it can be done and it is done frequently enough that when you hear about it on the RSX forum it isn't anything overly spectacular.

Although Comptech has almost come up with a real SC kit, a simple NOS setup would be a lot easier and alot cheaper.
It would be easier and cheaper. Absolutely. But it doesn't accomplish the same goal. Nitrous is worthless on back roads where you'd like to power out of a corner at 75% throttle. It's great for going in a straight line for a limited distance at WOT. But it sure does suck when you need to back down on the throttle or when the bottle runs out.

Eaton builds products for OEM level motors, and they are designed to work together, not thrown on top of.
But Comptech and others have shown that it can be done safely and reliably. The Comptech blower straight off the shelf isn't running anywhere near as much boost as the OEM motors are.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Instructor

come on kids,i hate to type long storys but eaton are the lowest on the pole when talking about superchargers,with the twin screws they use ,to much drag and cuase lots of extra heat comparied to good superchargers unless you get them redone,so that doesnt make sence,
second with good boost levels no motor unless it has built bottom end will last 100k
to much stress on rods and bearings
third thring to force torque down a torqueless motor doesnt work well,stresss again,and boost levels of four pounds is a joke'
please read more carfully
again what im saying is eatons suck in supercharger world,yes they do
and a family sedan with problems already in not a car to supercharge,and 5 grand for a shitty kit ,i guess your stupid
and if you think nitrous is 6 to 7 hundered,i can tell you dont know what your doning too
lol
i guess you dont know how to bulid things,you tak parts and mke it your self,
very easy
also if you have used nitrous before you dont only use on top end
that why you have one oe two or even three stages
we can go back and forth all day but you can never say a eaton is a good supercharger,its lowest of the line and cheapest too
thats why ford uses them for cost,,
when you notice with ford-ie lightning and cobra,both come with fully bulit blocks good to 1000 hp
and you said(And I said it before, but I'll say it again. No one has had any problems with internal engine parts being damaged nor have they had an increase in transmission problems.) where did you come from
i know acuras trannies ,i see them all day,they are at limits already,and clutch alone cant handle 60 more hp)
your second comment(You're right ALL the fast cars at the track are domestic, or "domisetic" as you say. That's why all motor civics are running 7s and stock bottom end Supra's are way into the 8s.

Get a clue. Then post again.)no civic can run 7's,,,i dont call a full built raced tube chassie a civic,,lol
yes supra car get there but again,not a part on the car is stock but the body
we are talking about stock cars ,not race cars,so get you points straight
dont try to sound smart with stupid facts guy,makes you look stupid ,lmao
lets see what you come back with im sure i can poke holes in it too
Old 11-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Instructor

(You are correct. Comptech isn't using the blower to it's full potential because that isn't their intent. The blower kit isn't designed to make the TL a drag-strip monster. It's designed to enhance the already stellar platform by increasing the horsepower marginally. If the blower was used to it's full capacity (roughly 10-11psi) without intercooling, tons of fuel, etc you would blow the motor. I'm not disputing that. But the boost levels will most likely be around 4psi.)

4 psi in not worth 5 grand,

(It would be easier and cheaper. Absolutely. But it doesn't accomplish the same goal. Nitrous is worthless on back roads where you'd like to power out of a corner at 75% throttle. It's great for going in a straight line for a limited distance at WOT. But it sure does suck when you need to back down on the throttle or when the bottle runs out.)

no fwd can apply that kind of power coming out of a turn,where did you come from???

(Eaton builds products for OEM level motors, and they are designed to work together, not thrown on top of.)

where did you here that?
ford and other company get the superchargers then make a custom manifold to make the run on there cars,eaton has noting to do with it,i still dont know where you get your stuff from????

(But Comptech and others have shown that it can be done safely and reliably. The Comptech blower straight off the shelf isn't running anywhere near as much boost as the OEM motors are.)

thats casue there only trying to make money,all cars that comes with blowers use a 8.5/1 compression ratio,not starting with 11.5 to 1
i love my honda but sorry any motor with this set up is not going to be reliable

read some ford site on why cobras and lightning replace the eatons to get more power and loose heat,if you dont i can put the links for you ,sound good?
why do you think kenne bll makes a driect replacment for the cobra with same boost setting making 100 more hp with all things beening equal
Old 11-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going to get in the middle of this jousting match... but is it too much to ask for posters to proofread what they write before submitting. As far as grammar and spelling go, I feel like I just became dumber for having read some of these posts.

Yes - it's a pet peeve.... you don't speak on this forum, you write... please at least make an attempt at writing well.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Instructor

comptech only is known for racing nsx's and rsx's
the reason the kit is not out yet is due to tuning problems and thats why it only can make 4psi,,,car cant take any more safely
look at vortech,i will use a mach 1 for what im talking about
there kit makes 150hp will all stock motor at 9psi
mach 1 motor comes with 11.0 to 1 compression
so why cant comptech
cause they cant get it to work,
sorry but tl do have problems,eatons do make to much heat ,thats comparing them to real superchargers at same boost levels
you do the math
i can see you done some reading on superchargers,but it sounds like no personal experences or you would know what im talking about
for the other guy,yes you can run 12 psi on stock bottom end,but your living with a time bomb
safe means where you can do it all day long,your way sonner or later it will gernade
i can give links for proof of that too
i lived this stuff for two and 1/2 years straight-remember the point im making is start with a platform that works
family sedans or FWD is not a place to start supercharging
Old 11-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the improved proof reading - it makes reading the exchanges that much more enjoyable.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by acura101west
come on kids,i hate to type long storys but eaton are the lowest on the pole when talking about superchargers,with the twin screws they use ,to much drag and cuase lots of extra heat comparied to good superchargers unless you get them redone,so that doesnt make sence,
second with good boost levels no motor unless it has built bottom end will last 100k
to much stress on rods and bearings
third thring to force torque down a torqueless motor doesnt work well,stresss again,and boost levels of four pounds is a joke'
please read more carfully
again what im saying is eatons suck in supercharger world,yes they do
and a family sedan with problems already in not a car to supercharge,and 5 grand for a shitty kit ,i guess your stupid
People are bitching about the price of the kit as is and you want them to use an even more expensive blower? Give me a break. BTW. On my first CL-S I sold it at 92K miles. Supercharged for the last 40K miles of that. Never missed a beat. Compression test was very similar (within 3% of what the values were before the blower went on).

and if you think nitrous is 6 to 7 hundered,i can tell you dont know what your doning too
lol.
Try putting a nitrous set up on a 3rd Gen TL for less than $600 and let me know how long your motor lasts. The ECU is gonna have a stroke.

also if you have used nitrous before you dont only use on top end
that why you have one oe two or even three stages
Multiple stage nitrous systems increase the amount you are spraying not what throttle posistion you're using it. Nitrous only sprays at WOT.

and you said(And I said it before, but I'll say it again. No one has had any problems with internal engine parts being damaged nor have they had an increase in transmission problems.)

where did you come from
i know acuras trannies ,i see them all day,they are at limits already,and clutch alone cant handle 60 more hp)
LOL where did you get your 60hp figure from? There's CL-S's making 420whp on the stock clutch and many many more making 300-330whp on the stock clutch.

we are talking about stock cars ,not race cars,so get you points straight
I believe you made the inital comparison between the TL and a drag car.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:50 PM

Old 11-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

4 psi in not worth 5 grand,
To some it may be. Look at it as 60whp for $5,000.

no fwd can apply that kind of power coming out of a turn,where did you come from???
Came from MY FWD ACURA with well over 300whp with NO torque steer.

(Eaton builds products for OEM level motors, and they are designed to work together, not thrown on top of.)

where did you here that?
ford and other company get the superchargers then make a custom manifold to make the run on there cars,eaton has noting to do with it,i still dont know where you get your stuff from????
Ford doesn't make their superchargers in house. Eaton does. The M112 is used on the Cobra and the Lightning. The M90 was used on the Thunderbird SC and GM used it in their Grand Prix and Bonneville models.

thats casue there only trying to make money,all cars that comes with blowers use a 8.5/1 compression ratio,not starting with 11.5 to 1
i love my honda but sorry any motor with this set up is not going to be reliable
If it wasn't reliable Honda/Acura dealerships wouldn't sell it, install it, warranty it. I've had two supercharged J-Series now and the addition of the supercharger did nothing to change the reliability of the car. Ask around the forums and you'll hear the same.

read some ford site on why cobras and lightning replace the eatons to get more power and loose heat,if you dont i can put the links for you ,sound good?
why do you think kenne bll makes a driect replacment for the cobra with same boost setting making 100 more hp with all things beening equal
What does that have to do with what we're talking about? The Eaton is a lower priced blower. Yet people are STILL complaining about the cost of the kit. If they used a more expensive blower, and the kit cost $7,000 do you really think it would be a success?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

comptech only is known for racing nsx's and rsx's
the reason the kit is not out yet is due to tuning problems and thats why it only can make 4psi,,,car cant take any more safely
look at vortech,i will use a mach 1 for what im talking about
there kit makes 150hp will all stock motor at 9psi
mach 1 motor comes with 11.0 to 1 compression
so why cant comptech
cause they cant get it to work,
sorry but tl do have problems,eatons do make to much heat ,thats comparing them to real superchargers at same boost levels
you do the math
i can see you done some reading on superchargers,but it sounds like no personal experences or you would know what im talking about
for the other guy,yes you can run 12 psi on stock bottom end,but your living with a time bomb
safe means where you can do it all day long,your way sonner or later it will gernade
i can give links for proof of that too
i lived this stuff for two and 1/2 years straight-remember the point im making is start with a platform that works

Two things right away:

1) You're comparing apples to oranges. TL =/= Mach1
2) You're contradicting yourself On one hand you're saying the car shouldn't be boosted at all because it's FWD, the clutch can't hold more than 60hp, etc. And then you're saying they should have used a 'better' blower to make more horespower. Make up your mind. You're arugments will hold more water this way.

No personal experience? LOL I've owned two supercharged CL's

And the kit IS out and it was ready for production in April/May. They were waiting on CARB approval which took 6 months.

family sedans or FWD is not a place to start supercharging
Then why are you arguing the Comptech kit doesn't make enough power? Stick with one side of the argument. Then we'll proceed from there.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

And in MY experience anything more than 280-300whp in this car will do nothing but spin the tires. There's no reason to boost beyond 3-4psi. A 60whp gain is perfect. I added ~100whp to both of my CL's and in the 6-Speed it was a nightmare going WOT in 1st or 2nd but once it was on the highway rolling it was a blast.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Instructor

you said(
Multiple stage nitrous systems increase the amount you are spraying not what throttle posistion you're using it. Nitrous only sprays at WOT.)

who told you that?i worked with 10000 rpm's(one of the best racing nitrous comanys out)you can have it come in any where you want

second you said(LOL where did you get your 60hp figure from? There's CL-S's making 420whp on the stock clutch and many many more making 300-330whp on the stock clutch.)
no way dude-i been in drag racing for 16 years ,no stock clutch can hold extra 100 horse

the reason i talked about the mach one was to compare kits and what it should do
there kit is 3000.00 from dealers who sell vortech,and 4200 if you want 50 more hp with aftercooler
eatons still suck and make to much heat
but i still love supercharging
you have your ways of looking at it and i have my ways
but facts beening facts (we are talking about stock cars ,not race cars,so get you points straight)
just cause you put a blower on a stang doesnt make it a drag car
also you said
(Came from MY FWD ACURA with well over 300whp with NO torque steer.)
thats wont work unless you have slicks with a lsd,only way to get ride of torque steer

and if you get kits for 7 grand your getting ripped off
avg price with no aftercooler is 2500 to 3000-the rest is just someones profit
and if you good and smart just make your own,we did (aftercoolers and intercoolers)cost of parts is less then 300 dollars(you need to be able to tig tho)
and i never said ford makes the supercharger(eatons),i said ford just orders bulk of them and inhouse's the manifolds to make it fit,easy there too
and if you know how the pressure plate in a clutch works you would know its impossible for it to hold extra 100 hp for more then two runs
and did you ever dyno your car,whats the name of the shop,i would be glad to call
oh my dyno tuner is socaldiablo.com look him up
i would love to see your dynos #s
not a print out i want to call the shop(easy to dummie up some #s and graph)
i dont think you made 420 whp from a dyno ,not on a stock motor
lets see
Old 11-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Team Owner

You're talking about a race-spec nitrous kit designed for racing applications. We're talking about the Acura TL here remember? Try installing that kit on this car for the price range you spoke of previously. Impossible. You are extremely inconsistant with your arguments.

A stock CL Type-S makes about 220whp. A supercharged CL-S at 4psi makes ~300whp. A supercharged CL-S at 6.5psi makes ~330whp. A turbocharged CL-S at 6psi makes 420whp. All on the stock motor. Call Shawn Church. He dyno'd the turbocharged car. Stock motor, stock clutch.

The 2nd Gen CL-S has an LSD, no torque steer unless you're on uneven roads/poor condition roads. The 3rd Gen TL has more issues because of the wider tires/wheels.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by invincible569
and a box of sour patch kids pleazzzze!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Instructor

last one,who is Shawn Church?
and the nitrous kit it just three parts,you just need to know how to install it,if you never used nitrous you wont have a clue,,and anything more then 300 for nitrous kit(basic single stage dry system) you paying some dudes profit
Old 11-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Who all would buy a 350 HP Acura TL for $40,000?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Advanced

I would! I would!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Instructor

if it is awd or rwd with nsx type trannie i would too!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
just my 2 cents, but the majority of us who can afford (or can't afford but saying screw it, I'm buying the damn thing anway) the extra $5k are probably doing it for 1 or more of the following reasons:

1. we're looking for additional power without having to gut the engine out

2. we want the warranty to remain intact

3. we are not drag racers, but the occasional nod to the driver next to you on the highway or at the stoplight who thinks the TL is just a "family car" is worth justifying and is "fun" enough

4. we enjoy the additional modifications to our car to make our cars different from all of the other stock TL's......we like to personalize. anyone can have a stock TL.

5. yes, if we were only concerned with performance, there are better platforms to choose from, but since it's a daily driver, it's nice to drive a car with a clean/modern looking interior with all the gadgets all at a great base price. Unless the price tag is well over $100k, I haven't seen a production car with a nice interior that can seat 4 comfortably, have airbags all over the place, and have an engine that runs up to 10k rpm.

6. we enjoy performance and luxury but don't have 90k+ sitting around for an AMG or the like and offer the same amount of cabin room our existing 3gen offers us

7. we don't need 400HP at the wheel but a little bump (even though at a price tag of $5k) is worth it if it means making our daily commutes or weekends through the twisties that much more enjoyable

8. for those of us who plan to track the car, it's refreshing to see a different car trying to do it's thing. supras, tsx, rsx, mustangs, corvettes.....the list goes on and their all nice cars but everyone, and I mean everyone has been there, done that. borrrrrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnngggggg. sure fun to drive, but everyone has seen a modded out supra, stang, vette.......you get the point.

have i missed anything? sure there's alot of techinicalities involved when dealing with performance, but you're not looking at the BIG PICTURE. That is the EMOTIONAL side of making a purchase and the marketing/pricing involved to bring a product that can satisfy the consumer who's looking for a little upgrade in performance without sacrificing warranty concerns and a huge dent in the wallet.
I'll take the extra 60HP......no problems here.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

and the nitrous kit it just three parts,you just need to know how to install it,if you never used nitrous you wont have a clue,,and anything more then 300 for nitrous kit(basic single stage dry system) you paying some dudes profit

A basic off the shelf kit isn't going to work on this car. To do it correctly you're going to need a fuel pump, new plugs, and rpm limiter so you don't spray at redline. Those parts alone are near $300.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Team Owner

By far and with out a doubt the single most popular Honda/Acura tuner in SoCal if not the country. I guess you haven't been around Honda/Acura's as much as you think you have.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Instructor

i havent tuned on a honda personally for a while yes,but freinds do,just cause i dont know his name doesnt mean shit,just like with my mustang tuner ,there are lots of them
whats his site?
and if you know what dry means you dont need a fuel pump,you tap factory rail
to get your fuel then reg it down to what your using it for,
as far as rev limiter,you keep talking about things made for people that dont know what your doing,im not going it to detail ,but very easy to set nitrous to set rpm turn on and off,and also only if your using 100hp or more you dont need that part ,factory ecu will work,has its own rev limiter
for a honda tuner my friend uses staford enginerring,cause that who we sell intercoolers and u-bends for piping too,,hes turbos only
and if your good like him ,he makes his own piggyback ecu controller unit for all cars,
sounds like you pay alot of profit to many people
cause i can see you dont make things on your own
im sorry for that

Quick Reply: The Comptech Supercharger Will Be Here Nov. 05