Better MPG with pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 05:51 PM
.:KCCO:.

Better MPG with pulley?

Since the pulley is lighter, would you get more MPG if you drove the same way?
Old 09-27-2006 | 08:18 PM
Safety Car

No !!!!

I thought the same thing that I might gain at least one mpg. But, no way. I check my milage often during my daily commute to work (both before pulley, and after pulley install). My mileage is very consistant... so, *if* there was an increase, I would had seen it.
Old 09-27-2006 | 09:32 PM
I LOVE MY TL

^^ where can i go to check my currect city/highway MPG?
Old 09-28-2006 | 12:29 AM
Advanced

check the MID, itll show you your avg mpg
Old 09-28-2006 | 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
No !!!!

I thought the same thing that I might gain at least one mpg. But, no way. I check my milage often during my daily commute to work (both before pulley, and after pulley install). My mileage is very consistant... so, *if* there was an increase, I would had seen it.
and your still driving the same way huh? darn, i thought there would at least be something yknow?
Old 09-28-2006 | 03:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Rolling resistance, air resistance, engine RPM/gearing affect your fuel economy

In a perfect world: Since the pulley means the engine has to do less work, you would gear it to be a bit taller. Since you cant change your gearing (without spending a fortune on a custom transmission ) you're stuck with just having more power.
Old 09-28-2006 | 06:07 PM
I LOVE MY TL

i know this might sound stupid but what is a "MID"??can some body take picture of it or tell me what it is soo i can look at my MPG! thanks in advance!!
Old 09-28-2006 | 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by ViNhXoNxAcuraTL
i know this might sound stupid but what is a "MID"??can some body take picture of it or tell me what it is soo i can look at my MPG! thanks in advance!!
RTFM!
hehe

it is right under you gas and temp guage. theres button so that you can choose which option to display
Old 09-28-2006 | 07:04 PM
I LOVE MY TL

i just went out the car to see where it is..is this the one?the one that tell me how much MPG is my car?soo what is it...where is the MPG for highway and city?im soo Newbie at this.. normally i just drive and dont know what is what..
Old 09-28-2006 | 09:20 PM
Safety Car

ViNhXoNxAcuraTL ,

You are making progress dude

You see that your distance is 2036 ? You need to reset your MID. The way you reset it is thus:

While the displaying is showing your MPG (as you have in the picture), hold down the upper button until the numbers change into dashes (-----). You will need to hold down the upper button for approx 4 seconds.

Ideally, you need to reset the MID's MPG everytime you fillup. This will give you the average MPG between each fillup.

The thing to know is the MPG is an average MPG since the last time the MID was reset.

If you wish to know your MPG on the freeway, do the following. Wait until you are on the freeway doing a steady speed. While driving, reset the MID as discussed above. Now, watch the MID. After appox 5 or 10 miles, you will have a good solid reading of your freeway milage. Ideally, you will have set your criuse control before the reset, and keep the cruise control engaged for the whole 10 miles.

Reset your MID MPG in the morning before starting your car before going to work. Then, on the following morning you will have a good idea of your overall mileage for a typical workday.
Old 09-28-2006 | 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
and your still driving the same way huh? darn, i thought there would at least be something yknow?
I know that it is hard to believe. I had a hard time believing it too.

The car acceralates soOOooOO much easier than before. IT is hard to believe that you are not using less gas than before.

Hell, who knows, the mileage might had improved by maybe 1/2 mpg. Because our readout is in whole numbers (with no decimals), who knows ??? [shrug]

To answer your question.... yes, I am driving the same. I am very careful (uhh, anal). I am very scientific and logical. I only drive my car from home to work to home again... no errands. My daily round-trip route, according to MID, is

50 miles distance
32 avg mph
24 avg mpg

I live in Houston, so my route includes stop-n-go crawling traffic in some sections... and some sections where I get to hit 90 or 100 mph for a few seconds (yes daily).

I check my MID reading everyday at the same place along my daily route. I reset my MID once per week to get a weekly average. The MID nevedr deviates from the above stats unless I have very unusual traffic conditions, which would be reflected in the avg mph reading. So, I know to match the avg mpg along with the avg mph. These two values are very much dependant on one another.

I have been checking my MID like this for months before I installed my pulley. So, I have a good baseline. I have had my pulley for 3 weeks now. So, I have had 3 times to verify the avg mpg. The reading are the same as before the pulley--- 24 avg mpg at an avg 32 mph.
Old 09-29-2006 | 09:58 PM
I LOVE MY TL

thanks for the help Inaccurate!