ATLP TL is under the knife...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Silva-type-s
i'll pre-buy if you make one for 2G. Im not giving up. Someone is going to make me on dammit.
Barry why don't you just get the shop that Trew gets his stuff done in Cutler Bay do it for you. He knows his stuff and does some kick as work. Get a group of 2nd gens to do it, and so this way you guys can benefit in pricing. Its really not that hard for these guys to make that with fiberglass.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Barry why don't you just get the shop that Trew gets his stuff done in Cutler Bay do it for you. He knows his stuff and does some kick as work. Get a group of 2nd gens to do it, and so this way you guys can benefit in pricing. Its really not that hard for these guys to make that with fiberglass.
i know. thats what i want atlp to do.

i guess i'll just ask trew to see if his connect can make me one
Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look Nice i Gonna Have 2Buy 1
Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced

I am going to have to buy one also.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I really want to get one of these but the fitment issues that some members are having are kinda steering me away.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have 0 fitment issues. it fits perfectly

my only "beef' is the corner was chipped, i assume it was dropped. i know it didnt happen while i had it since i left the bubble wrap on it
Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Stand For Something

On the previous pages some members are saying that when one side of the spoiler is completely flush with the window, the other side is lifted up a little. And talking about heating the spoiler up to make it fit and everything. Sorry but im not spending $300 or whatever it is on this spoiler if i'm gonna have to work to make it fit properly.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Drifting

50 people got the spoilers. maybe 5-10 people posted they had issues with the way it fit. but the other 40-45 people didnt post anything because they most likely dont have issues.

and if you think 300 is bad for something that doesnt fit. try buying a cf diffuser for 1600 that doesnt fit!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
Unbiased review

3/10

While i can appreciate the shape and overall direction ATLP was going with this design (quiet frankly, it looks damn good) I don't feel as if the workmanship constitutes the price. Considering how pleased I was with my ATLP base exhaust, I couldn't help but feel extremely dissapointed about my roof spoiler. I had all of the before mentioned fitment issues; one side pops up as the other side is down, the edge where the spoiler comes into contact with the window is bumpy exposing the window in some areas and sitting flush against the roof of the car in others, and the spoiler is hardly symmetrical. Parts of the spoiler, when looking at the vehicle from behind, seem thicker than others. When applying the spoiler i found that it was possible to get both top ends of the spoiler flush with the window, but one side had more of a curvature actually coming to contact with the body panel above the passenger side window, while the other side was flush with the rear windshield the whole way down. To be quiet honest, I'm pretty scared that in a week or 2 I'm going to get home from work to see that my roof spoiler must have flown off somewhere back on the freeway. According to other's posts, Mike is willing to exchange the units if there are fitment issues, which is great customer service btw, but I just can't see spending that much on this. My spoiler was delivered damaged, and I'm pretty sure it was sent out that way as packaging was sufficient (not sure why they would ship a damaged unit) but I was advised by Heel Toe to just pay the extra amount to have the auto shop where I'm getting it painted to bondo it. (he was however willing to exchange it) With the amount I paid to have it fixed and painted, and the amount I'll have to spend to get the new one painted, with no guarantee of it fitting perfectly, I just don't find it worth it. I still think ATLP is a quality brand, and I'd buy another aero part from them, but this is just something to think about for those on the edge of buying this. It's sexy, ATLP makes quality product (judging from the exhaust), and my experiences with them and their representatives have been pleasant, so I'd still recommend picking this up, but only if you're prepared to put more money, time, and work into it.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

hmm are we not allowed to edit old posts? but back on topic, im seriously contemplating just taking this thing off and throwing it away.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DecaFe1
hmm are we not allowed to edit old posts? but back on topic, im seriously contemplating just taking this thing off and throwing it away.

that is just nonsense
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
i'll take it
Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Stand For Something

3/10

While i can appreciate the shape and overall direction ATLP was going with this design (quiet frankly, it looks damn good) I don't feel as if the workmanship constitutes the price. Considering how pleased I was with my ATLP base exhaust, I couldn't help but feel extremely dissapointed about my roof spoiler. I had all of the before mentioned fitment issues; one side pops up as the other side is down, the edge where the spoiler comes into contact with the window is bumpy exposing the window in some areas and sitting flush against the roof of the car in others, and the spoiler is hardly symmetrical. Parts of the spoiler, when looking at the vehicle from behind, seem thicker than others. When applying the spoiler i found that it was possible to get both top ends of the spoiler flush with the window, but one side had more of a curvature actually coming to contact with the body panel above the passenger side window, while the other side was flush with the rear windshield the whole way down. To be quiet honest, I'm pretty scared that in a week or 2 I'm going to get home from work to see that my roof spoiler must have flown off somewhere back on the freeway. According to other's posts, Mike is willing to exchange the units if there are fitment issues, which is great customer service btw, but I just can't see spending that much on this. My spoiler was delivered damaged, and I'm pretty sure it was sent out that way as packaging was sufficient (not sure why they would ship a damaged unit) but I was advised by Heel Toe to just pay the extra amount to have the auto shop where I'm getting it painted to bondo it. (he was however willing to exchange it) With the amount I paid to have it fixed and painted, and the amount I'll have to spend to get the new one painted, with no guarantee of it fitting perfectly, I just don't find it worth it. I still think ATLP is a quality brand, and I'd buy another aero part from them, but this is just something to think about for those on the edge of buying this. It's sexy, ATLP makes quality product (judging from the exhaust), and my experiences with them and their representatives have been pleasant, so I'd still recommend picking this up, but only if you're prepared to put more money, time, and work into it.
Thanks a lot for the review man, you just made up my mind.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn

that is just nonsense
well i have 3 options.

Option 1, take it off, throw it away, 450 down the drain.
Option 2, exchange it, hope the new one fits, and end up paying 600+ (Depending on if it fits or not) just for a roof spoiler.
Option 3, accept it as is, and risk it flying off on the freeway and hitting someones car, draining who knows how much money and, in the worst possible situation, taking a life or lives.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn

that is just nonsense
carrie if you would of saw mine at the meet, you would of seen the chips on it from the handling of it
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Pro

well i have 3 options.

Option 1, take it off, throw it away, 450 down the drain.
Option 2, exchange it, hope the new one fits, and end up paying 600+ (Depending on if it fits or not) just for a roof spoiler.
Option 3, accept it as is, and risk it flying off on the freeway and hitting someones car, draining who knows how much money and, in the worst possible situation, taking a life or lives.
Option 4.....Sell it. You sound like you've already thrown in the towel anyway. Did you not test fit the spoiler before having it painted? I understand your frustration though.

I have test fit mine a couple times now and taken pictures of the things about the fitment I'm not 100% happy with for Mike to look into. He's already offered to exchange it for me before even seeing the pics. Anyway, the point is that Mike takes care of his customers if you make him aware of your issues.

Some people have had fitment issues, others have said theirs "fit perfectly". On one hand, people just have different levels of tolerance as far as what they consider a good fit. On the other hand, the way these pieces are made, they all come out slightly different. The fitment from one piece to the next will likely vary.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is on.. fitment is damn near perfect. contours to the top and sides of glass exactly.

Only issue was a little wavy across the top.

I would recommend this spoiler for sure. It looks 10x better than any other one out there.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
carrie if you would of saw mine at the meet, you would of seen the chips on it from the handling of it
mine had a small chip on the corner, no big deal, I can just touch it up. It was shipped from Cali to CT so when I saw it, I wasnt too surprised. Like I said, not a big deal. I am very, very happy with this spoiler so im not going to complain about something that is such an easy fix.

Why dont you just touch yours up?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jweb12
Option 4.....Sell it. You sound like you've already thrown in the towel anyway. Did you not test fit the spoiler before having it painted? I understand your frustration though.

I have test fit mine a couple times now and taken pictures of the things about the fitment I'm not 100% happy with for Mike to look into. He's already offered to exchange it for me before even seeing the pics. Anyway, the point is that Mike takes care of his customers if you make him aware of your issues.

Some people have had fitment issues, others have said theirs "fit perfectly". On one hand, people just have different levels of tolerance as far as what they consider a good fit. On the other hand, the way these pieces are made, they all come out slightly different. The fitment from one piece to the next will likely vary.

yea no doubt, mike, as well as marcus, take excellent care of the customers and im in no way knocking either company. I did test fit it before painting, but i didnt think it was that bad. i wish i would have, cus then i coulda swapped it before wasting money on paint. And for those wondering what i meant by my unit was "damaged" it had a puncture in it, and no, not the air hole :P
Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have just ordered the ATLP spoiler little nervous about it after reading your concerns what color is your tl. my feeling's are if not 100% satisfied rfeturn it or list it on the blackmarket. I bought the JDM from Ebay it was absolutely terrible after a 2 week knee jerk from them they refunded my money. I ordered $300 Sarona from a shop in Sacramento it arrived and also need hours of finishing work before paint I refused to pay for it and the shop kept my $50 deposit everything you read and hear about purchasing from ATLP he is straight up vendor time will tell, I ordered it painted so it should come plug and play. I expect that ATLP has worked out the bugs and being an approved Acurazine Vendor, a sponsor of Acurafest I will be finally get a Spoiler that will have the fit and finish of a OEM Acura part, stay tuned for an update and good pictures when i get mine in the next 7 days or so.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

i took the spoiler off the car and now i absolutely hate how my tl looks without it so i am going to end up exchanging it and just eating the cost of paint. Will do another review once me and mike work it all out.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Racer

i took the spoiler off the car and now i absolutely hate how my tl looks without it so i am going to end up exchanging it and just eating the cost of paint. Will do another review once me and mike work it all out.
ATLP paint appears reasonable may consider getting it painted Good luck
Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Mike, did you ever get my last email?

-Adrian
Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by aznbo187
As specified in most of the e-mails, I mistakenly figured the manufacturer meant that it was primed and ready for paint, but their primer isn't paint ready and rather just for shipping purposes.

So yes, please make sure for a correct finish, when asking the paint shop (do not take it to a collision repair shop, they don't know how to handle custom products!) to make sure they at the very minimum, block sand it, hi-fill primer it, sand again, primer again, then paint and clear-coat, and then buff it.
What is the pricing and what do I need to do to purchase one of these?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Instructor

zoostation: if i were you i would read previous couple post.....i must of had the worst luck, not 1 but 2 spoilers arrived at my house with considerable external cracking (they were fiberglass, don't have info about carbon fiber). no one knows exactly the cause of the damage but it became apparent this mod wasn't worth pursuing. $175 was quoted to repair and paint spoiler ($285 spoiler/shipping, $175 for repair/paint, all most $500 if i pursued it) Make no mistakes though, ATLP is a great company and product line is top notch. (except the spoiler in my case)

Note: both spoilers were dry fitted out of the box and immediately noticed the ends of the spoiler refused to mold to the contours of the car, sitting flush was non existent.

sorry, about this post ATLP Spoiler supporters, this was the last thing i wanted to post but i felt the community deserves unbias, unsolicitated, , first person experience. Sorona it is; those w/ this mod, enjoy it!

Last edited by rooki; 06-16-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Racer

update on shipping

any updates as to ship date of new roof spoilers
Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Racer

Here is mine, got it done over the weekend, BTW this is the second spoiler, as mention before the first one did not fit.

Big thanks to mike.

Last edited by trance957; 06-22-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like the color match was pretty good!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Pro

^^ Did you have that prepainted or get it done locally? Looks real good

Can't wait to get mine exchanged and on the car. Mike - check your email man!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, playing ketchup as always.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Racer

ATLP took care of the painting for me this time, took about 3 weeks, but as you can tell 100% match.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Racer

Looks like the color match was pretty good!
Right on.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, playing ketchup as always.
Any pictures of the Carbon one?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Spoiler finally installed...

Check it yo... used window epoxy from 3M - works pretty good. Could probably lift the entire car using the roof wing.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Okay those were big...

Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Finally got time to take a few pics:

Old 07-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Engineer and Machinist

From the last 2 installed posts with pictures the spoiler looks like instead of having a concave shape parallel to the mounting surface it has an opposite shape.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
^ thats just the reflection of the light... I have seen them in person on WPS007 TL & it fits perfect... completely follows the curvature of the car.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
From the last 2 installed posts with pictures the spoiler looks like instead of having a concave shape parallel to the mounting surface it has an opposite shape.
no his right.. it doesnt have a perfect concave shape but over its still fits pretty good. not 100% perfect but good enough.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Danny04TL
no his right.. it doesnt have a perfect concave shape but over its still fits pretty good. not 100% perfect but good enough.
danny, judging from the pics, it looks like you may have gotten one got one of the misfitting spoilers. I'd dbl check it, id hate for it to fly off on the freeway and hit another car.

Quick Reply: ATLP TL is under the knife...