Anyone have Comptech / AEM / E-Shift Cats CARB E/O ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:38 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone have Comptech / AEM / E-Shift Cats CARB E/O ?

Just curious if anyone knows the CARB E/O (California Air Resource Board Executive Order) for the items listed? Comptech Exhaust; AEM CAI; E-Shift Pro Cats?

Those are all items i'm interested in doing when I get my TL; but i'm wondering how many of them are actually legal in California. If you have the E/O # showing that it's legit and approved by CARB you won't get a ticket for the modifications. Also, has anyone who has the cats installed had problems passing smog ?

If anyone has any info that'd be great!

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
look up each makers website- it will say if CARB ok

with the new street racer recognition taining program- a 4 MILLION dollar grant to teach all officers how to spot modified cars and whats legal and whats not underhood -
Always carry every receipt(copy) with proof parts are legal and you bought them- just keep it with the reg and insurance papers they will also want to see

they can impound and sieze your car in some cities
after all- its not compliant!

Most of the intake cone parts are ok- as long as you dont tamper with any engine internals or smog parts and hoses-vac lines - that sort of thing
The dealer sells headers so I am guessing......
Old 07-29-2007, 03:25 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I haven't been able to find one for the pro cats yet.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:19 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by subinf
I haven't been able to find one for the pro cats yet.

Which is odd 'cause the pro cats site says:

The E-Pro Cat
Designed and Assembled by E-Shift Performance LLC
- Power gain (average 20whp 16wtorq)
- Stainless Steel Construction
- Gas Mileage Gains (5-10%)
- MIG and TIG welded

Metal Cat
Information Quoted from the manufacturer of Metal Cat
- 100% stainless inside and out
- uses 200 cell p/inch performance
- Full Metal Catalyst
- Fully Polisheed
- EPA and CARB Compliant ( Stamped )
- Stamped with CAxx
Most Cats on the market are NOT high flow and ILLEGAL. These units are EPA and CARB approved. The initial flow comparison of air through the cat is reduced by no more than 10%

Would be nice to get a PDF of it or something.. The ARB has a big DB online where you can view the E/Os but you have to either search the entire category line by line or know the E/O #
Old 07-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmahh
Just curious if anyone knows the CARB E/O (California Air Resource Board Executive Order) for the items listed? Comptech Exhaust; AEM CAI; E-Shift Pro Cats?

Those are all items i'm interested in doing when I get my TL; but i'm wondering how many of them are actually legal in California. If you have the E/O # showing that it's legit and approved by CARB you won't get a ticket for the modifications. Also, has anyone who has the cats installed had problems passing smog ?

If anyone has any info that'd be great!

Thanks!
Cats will fail visual inspection in Cali, unless you go somewhere that does not care. They will not pass unless you know someone
Old 07-29-2007, 05:32 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by desper
Cats will fail visual inspection in Cali, unless you go somewhere that does not care. They will not pass unless you know someone

If the cats have an E/O from CARB then they should not fail.. If they failed they wouldn't get the E/O.. If that's the case then the E-Pro site should not claim to be CARB approved.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:58 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

If it helps anyone out I found these:

Comptech Supercharger E/O Covers (PDF):
1996 - 1998 Acura TL
2002 - 2003 Acura TL Type-S
2004 - 2005 Acura TL

AEM Cold Air Intake E/O Covers (PDF):
2000 - 2003 Acura TL
2004 - 2006 Acura TL

If anyone happens to know the E/O for the Comptech 04+ TL Exhaust or the Pro Cats from E-Shift please let me know the E/O number and i'll throw the PDF on my site and link it.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

If the cats have an E/O from CARB then they should not fail.. If they failed they wouldn't get the E/O.. If that's the case then the E-Pro site should not claim to be CARB approved.
This is incorrect.

They are CARB legal, but you can not replace cats in CALI and that is why they will fail a VISUAL INSPECTION... Although they will pass actual tests any tech will notice that you have replaced the cats and therefore failing the visual inspection
Old 07-29-2007, 08:35 PM
One on the right for me

^ - When did they become CARB legal? I have not seen anything confirming that they are an acceptable after market part.

And you are allowed to replace the cats, they just have to be approved.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:18 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

This is incorrect.

They are CARB legal, but you can not replace cats in CALI and that is why they will fail a VISUAL INSPECTION... Although they will pass actual tests any tech will notice that you have replaced the cats and therefore failing the visual inspection
Originally Posted by From arb.ca.gov
Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.
If it has an E/O then it has been permitted to be installed in the make/model/year of the vehicle for which the part and E/O were issued.

So what that means.. If the Pro Cats have an E/O number then they will NOT fail visual because they have been approved. Why would they approve something that fails visual? That kind of contradicts itself. Changing your intake can cause an instant failure on your car in California; but if you have an intake with an E/O number from the CARB then it's fine.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The Pro Cats core is a Metal Cat catalytic converter. Metal Cats cats are EPA and CARB Compliant ( Stamped ). However, in CA you cannot replace a cat unless your cat is damaged. You will likely not pass a visual inspection, however you should pass emissions tests just fine.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:41 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Excelerate
The Pro Cats core is a Metal Cat catalytic converter. Metal Cats cats are EPA and CARB Compliant ( Stamped ). However, in CA you cannot replace a cat unless your cat is damaged. You will likely not pass a visual inspection, however you should pass emissions tests just fine.
So the comb/core is CARB Approved? - do you know what the E/O is for it?

What if you replace your exhaust and damage your cats somehow; then you can replace them right?

Since you sell the Comptech Exhaust for the TLs have you seen a sticker in the box with the CARB E/O number or do you know it so I can look it up online? The comptech website doesn't show it on their latest list of CARB E/Os but I think it has not been updated in a while. I really like the way the comptech sounds..

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:03 PM
One on the right for me

It with timmahh on this one, without the paperwork the stamp is useless.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts

Since you sell the Comptech Exhaust for the TLs have you seen a sticker in the box with the CARB E/O number or do you know it so I can look it up online? The comptech website doesn't show it on their latest list of CARB E/Os but I think it has not been updated in a while. I really like the way the comptech sounds..

Thanks!
I don't think you need one for a cat back exhaust in Cali. You can do almost anything(within reason) after the cats, as long as it doesn't violate the noise ordinance. The CT exhaust definately isn't loud enough to get you pulled over.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

It with timmahh on this one, without the paperwork the stamp is useless.
True, True,

I am gettin the ProCats... I wonder how Cali knows if you have had a damaged cat or not? Do they track that when you go in for repair?
I moved from Jersey and could just make something up, but i wonder if that will work or not?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

What if you replace your exhaust and damage your cats somehow; then you can replace them right?

Thanks!
Anyone got these E/O numbers...?

Also.... where did everyone get these installed at in NORCAl... need mine installed next week
Old 08-03-2007, 12:57 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

I guess we have to ask E-Shift Performance for the E/O - googling hasn't yielded any results.. After reading how advanced the TLs emissions system is (per the booklet anyways) im not willing to change the cats - especially if it voids the warranty I just purchased!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Keep in mind this is a Metal Cat core. That is where the stampings are from. And the cat core itself has the stampings. That doesn't guarantee CARB approval but it has the stampings.

http://www.e-shiftperformance.com/ca...oCat_pic1.html

http://www.e-shiftperformance.com/ca...oCat_pic3.html
Old 08-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess we have to ask E-Shift Performance for the E/O - googling hasn't yielded any results.. After reading how advanced the TLs emissions system is (per the booklet anyways) im not willing to change the cats - especially if it voids the warranty I just purchased!
I am not worried about the cats screwing any warranty stuff up.. All i am really worried about having is the engine, tranny and electronics and navi stuff warrentied. Pro Cats should only void your exhaust warranty and nothing else

Am I wrong here?

Anyways i really would like to have something to keep in my car for CARB or EO so i don't have any worries..

Also, come on hook me up with an install shop in NORCAL
Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 AM
One on the right for me

True, True,

I am gettin the ProCats... I wonder how Cali knows if you have had a damaged cat or not? Do they track that when you go in for repair?
I moved from Jersey and could just make something up, but i wonder if that will work or not?

The state actually doesn't follow that very closely. When you replace a cat, you fill out a card and are supposed to keep it on file (and I believe submit one to the state, but I could be wrong - it's been 1.5 years). The main thing is that the customer holds onto the card the shop fills out, and if they run into a problem at smog with respect to the new cat, the customer can show them the card. I've only had to deal with one lame ass shop asking for all the proper paperwork and I have probably installed 800 cats. I wouldn't worry about it too much (and I don't think you are), its just nice to have everything cleared up just in case.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

The state actually doesn't follow that very closely. When you replace a cat, you fill out a card and are supposed to keep it on file (and I believe submit one to the state, but I could be wrong - it's been 1.5 years). The main thing is that the customer holds onto the card the shop fills out, and if they run into a problem at smog with respect to the new cat, the customer can show them the card. I've only had to deal with one lame ass shop asking for all the proper paperwork and I have probably installed 800 cats. I wouldn't worry about it too much (and I don't think you are), its just nice to have everything cleared up just in case.
Awesome,

If you have installed 800 cats, i suppose you can point me in the right direction as to where to get these installed I am not that far from the Bay Area and dont mind a drive if someone can do these and not take 5 hours or screw anything up

thanks

desper
Old 08-05-2007, 07:30 PM
One on the right for me

There are two places I'd recommend - one is in San Rafael, CA - a shop called Johnny Franklin Mufflers. I used to take my car there when I didn't know what I was doing. They do awesome work and are reasonably priced.

The other is a shop in Davis, CA called Davis Muffler and Hitch. I worked there for a couple of years in college and all of the guys that work there have been under the hood for a very long time.

Those are probably out of your way so if you find a shop closer just make sure you get some decent word of mouth recs before giving them your keys.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

There are two places I'd recommend - one is in San Rafael, CA - a shop called Johnny Franklin Mufflers. I used to take my car there when I didn't know what I was doing. They do awesome work and are reasonably priced.

The other is a shop in Davis, CA called Davis Muffler and Hitch. I worked there for a couple of years in college and all of the guys that work there have been under the hood for a very long time.

Those are probably out of your way so if you find a shop closer just make sure you get some decent word of mouth recs before giving them your keys.

Thanks.,..

I will call but i really want a place that has done it before...

Someone please let me know if anyone has had these in NORCAL bay area or somewhere close

thanks fellas