AEM v2 Install Review and Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
AEM v2 Install Review and Pics!

Okay so i finally got my intake today, started on the removal the day it came, but before it got to me, and i never ever done this before, i just know this huge plastic thing needed to come out. I removed the tire and liner and removed a screw from the front bumper. THe stock intake/resonator was deffentily a pain in the ass to get it out, no doubt. At one point i was about to get my cordless sawzall and cut the shit out. LOL but i didnt. So i removed the stock stuff, and by that time UPS man came and delievered the goods, i told him he is way better than santa clause, because he brings me everything i want. Unfortunitly i need the funds for all the stuff i want But at least i get it

Install was pretty easy i feed the filter up through the wheel wall into the engine bay. The filter i believe is just resting on my TL-S Fog light, but im not conserend, i dont believe there is much pressure against it.

So for the test drive, i got out of my driveway and stomped on it, my first reaction and i said it out loud was "Holy Shit!" I wasnt expecting that much power at all! The torque is amazing, and now when V-Tec kicks in it really breaths V-tec now seems like 3x stronger than before, no joke. This upgrade might have given me just as much power increase as my ATLP J-Pipe or maybe more, And the J-Pipe Defentialy gave me more torque, but the CAI gives Torque at low end and power on the high end. And now it Breaths! Ill have some videos as soon as its a little nicer out.

I wont be increasing gas milage at all as i will be giving it more throttle as eachmod is added... I dont care about gas milage anyways as long as i get over 14mpg im happy, and im in the clear there

The sticker is also in the wrong spot as i will probably take a heat gun and try to lift it off and relocate it. Ill get pics of the engine compartment tomorrow.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work, I love mine!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

very nice installed mine to last week and its annoying how the sticker doesnt face out it faces the driver seat which sucks but i scratched my sticker anyway puttign it in so im not really concerned but i love mine and ur install looked like it went good congrats on the purchase im sure ur as happy as i am with the sound/ hp difference it produces
Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah the sticker wasnt in the right place for me either.. After a couple months or so it started to come off because of contact with that plastic box thing.. You can kinda see in this pic how its started to come up..

I decided to email AEM about my sticker coming off, and they quickly replied and just told me to send them a proof of purchase.. I didnt have any receipt because I bought it off Ebay, so I just sent them a screen shot of my paypal receipt and about a week later they sent me a brand new sticker free of charge..

Now thats customer service..

Congrats on the v2.. Nice to know you have the best part available..
Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice!

cant wait to get mine
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Damn those pics are big lol. Enjoy the V2 mannnn
Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Lazer187

Install was pretty easy i feed the filter up through the wheel wall into the engine bay. The filter i believe is just resting on my TL-S Fog light, but im not conserend, i dont believe there is much pressure against it.

So for the test drive, i got out of my driveway and stomped on it, my first reaction and i said it out loud was "Holy Shit!" I wasnt expecting that much power at all! The torque is amazing, and now when V-Tec kicks in it really breaths V-tec now seems like 3x stronger than before, no joke. This upgrade might have given me just as much power increase as my ATLP J-Pipe or maybe more, And the J-Pipe Defentialy gave me more torque, but the CAI gives Torque at low end and power on the high end. And now it Breaths! Ill have some videos as soon as its a little nicer out.
Congrats on the install. I don't think I've heard anybody else say their filter was contacting the fog though. Remember, the intake will move a little when the engine is torqued. Doubtful it's enough to damage your fog but something to think about. I would be cautious of anything rubbing the intake though. Over time, with the constant vibrations, you'll likely end up with wear issues either with the intake or what it's rubbing against.

There is no way you got as much performance out of the intake as the j-pipe. It's just not possible. In my opinion, you're interpretting more noise to equal more power. Not trying to be a dick or anything, but it's just not possible.

Also, from my experience and more importantly from talking to other guys here more in touch with "performance" mods, it's more likely you lost low-end torque than gained. I am not 100% on this so I could be wrong. I'd have to look at the dyno graphs again but I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will chime.

Not trying to bust your balls, just want to be clear on some things for other people that read these review posts when they are considering buying a product. In the end though, glad you're happy with it. That's always a good thing I'm still on the fence whether I want to switch my original for a V2.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a question for all of you guys:

What's the difference between AEM, AEM V2 and Injen?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Sandy Eggo

Search please
Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
....just dancing in

Hey Lazer187, know what you mean about taking a saw to remove that damn intake resonator and assembly unit. Did mine over the weekend and just LOVE the instant pull it gives you. Good mod for the buck too......enjoy!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the problem is, most of the people running the V2 have never had the V1 so they cant compare the 2. ive had both and i honestly cant notice that much of a difference in power.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
....just dancing in

noticeable gain are usually short lived.....you get used to it, then you feel the need to gain more. What a concept!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Instructor

can you show us the top part of the v2 ? because i plan to buy for my tl type s but i dunno what to do with the long hole side of the v2
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jweb12
Congrats on the install. I don't think I've heard anybody else say their filter was contacting the fog though. Remember, the intake will move a little when the engine is torqued. Doubtful it's enough to damage your fog but something to think about. I would be cautious of anything rubbing the intake though. Over time, with the constant vibrations, you'll likely end up with wear issues either with the intake or what it's rubbing against.

There is no way you got as much performance out of the intake as the j-pipe. It's just not possible. In my opinion, you're interpretting more noise to equal more power. Not trying to be a dick or anything, but it's just not possible.

Also, from my experience and more importantly from talking to other guys here more in touch with "performance" mods, it's more likely you lost low-end torque than gained. I am not 100% on this so I could be wrong. I'd have to look at the dyno graphs again but I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will chime.

Not trying to bust your balls, just want to be clear on some things for other people that read these review posts when they are considering buying a product. In the end though, glad you're happy with it. That's always a good thing I'm still on the fence whether I want to switch my original for a V2.

Sorry buddy i dont hear much Intake noise from within the car with my exhaust setup i have so im deferentially not comparing noise to power. I noticed my tires will now spin in 2nd gear in automatic with traction control on, which it never did, so yeah guess theres a power gain there. Plus others.

As far as the guy said it seems more powerful now until i get use to it then need to upgrade something else, yeah i see that being very true with any car i purchase
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
....just dancing in

Originally Posted by Lazer187
Sorry buddy i dont hear much Intake noise from within the car with my exhaust setup i have so im deferentially not comparing noise to power. I noticed my tires will now spin in 2nd gear in automatic with traction control on, which it never did, so yeah guess theres a power gain there. Plus others.

As far as the guy said it seems more powerful now until i get use to it then need to upgrade something else, yeah i see that being very true with any car i purchase
....in our relentless pursuit for improvements and speed, its our nature. But what keeps us from going overboard is our limited budget...Thank GOD
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Boy...some of you guys kill me! First of all, I upgraded from a V1 to a V2. Trust me when I say it gives more power. Maybe not as much as from stock to V2, but enough to make a difference. V2 is definitely a power improvement over stock or any other intake. And I agree with the OP as far as almost as good as upgrading the j-pipe.

Now that I got that out of the way, almost every upgrade I've done to my car was a positive reaction. If you followed the same path as I did, you will feel improvements.
If you did not get or feel the difference, then your car sucks! LOL! Either you screwed up on the install somewhere or something is wrong with your car.

My f*ckin !

BTW, great job OP!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Pro

Not going to start a pissing match over something like this. People's opinions and perceptions on performance mods are always varied. No reason for people to get all bent out of shape when somebody doesn't agree with you. Disagreements generally lead to discussion which often lead to answers that can benefit others. Show me proof that the V2 produces more power than a aftermarked j-pipe and I will stand corrected.

I will say I could have worded my disagreement about the j-pipe comparison a little better. For that I apologize if it offended you, buddy.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i did comparo-thread v1 vs v2.... and also... v2 has no whistle which is the best part

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/b-031-intake-review-part-ii-look-aem-v2-683367/

ps. regarding the sticker... remember this intake is for the accord, on the accord the intake is rotated counter clockwise a few degrees, thus why the sticker "appears" to be wrong

Last edited by stillhere153; 04-15-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Pro

Yeah, stillhere's thread is a big reason I've been thinking about changing to the V2. Performance increases aside, the lack of whistle with it would be worth it to me.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM
G Force

Originally Posted by stillhere153
i did comparo-thread v1 vs v2.... and also... v2 has no whistle which is the best part

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683367

ps. regarding the sticker... remember this intake is for the accord, on the accord the intake is rotated counter clockwise a few degrees, thus why the sticker "appears" to be wrong
Ok, so V2 is by far better than V1, it has to, right? Otherwise why release a new version...

Now, how does it compares to Injen?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Advanced

how much performance gain will one see from this mod alone? no other mod from stock.

thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Green Machine

Not going to start a pissing match over something like this. People's opinions and perceptions on performance mods are always varied. No reason for people to get all bent out of shape when somebody doesn't agree with you. Disagreements generally lead to discussion which often lead to answers that can benefit others. Show me proof that the V2 produces more power than a aftermarked j-pipe and I will stand corrected.

I will say I could have worded my disagreement about the j-pipe comparison a little better. For that I apologize if it offended you, buddy.
No hostilities man; just cloning. I'm just very satisfied about the results. I also did a review on this after my install which too was inspired by stillhere. I pretty much got the same results as he did.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/b-031-my-aem-v2-upgrade-692443/

Yeah, stillhere's thread is a big reason I've been thinking about changing to the V2. Performance increases aside, the lack of whistle with it would be worth it to me.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

can a v2 fit on an 08 Tl?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced

yay yuh nice v2 haha mine is coming tomorrow!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by loczek28
Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Instructor

hp different from v2 and cai? i heard the v2 require hammering and relocating the horn. It is the same for aem regular CAI?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
No hostilities man; just cloning. I'm just very satisfied about the results. I also did a review on this after my install which too was inspired by stillhere. I pretty much got the same results as he did.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692443
Glad you posted the link. I remember reading your thread awhile back but forgot Josh had posted a code. Hope it still works when I finally order. Has anybody found a better price?

Has anybody reading up on the V2 seen a reported case of the "whistle"? I haven't, just wondering if I missed it somewhere. I know I've brought this up a LOT in the CAI threads but it really is, in my opinion, taking away from any benefits the "V1" adds. Like I said, I would gladly drop the cash for the V2 if I knew that there wouldn't be a whistle or squeal from the intake.

Was going to get this soon but Mike came through with his roof spoiler earlier than I expected so that's going first.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Green Machine

Glad you posted the link. I remember reading your thread awhile back but forgot Josh had posted a code. Hope it still works when I finally order. Has anybody found a better price?

Has anybody reading up on the V2 seen a reported case of the "whistle"? I haven't, just wondering if I missed it somewhere. I know I've brought this up a LOT in the CAI threads but it really is, in my opinion, taking away from any benefits the "V1" adds. Like I said, I would gladly drop the cash for the V2 if I knew that there wouldn't be a whistle or squeal from the intake.

Was going to get this soon but Mike came through with his roof spoiler earlier than I expected so that's going first.
I bought my v2 used for half the price of new one. I got it from the site. I see alot on there. Maybe ebay or craiglist.

I've never experience the infamous "whistle" sound from either cai I've had. I don't know how others are getting it.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vt4lifecuf
hp different from v2 and cai? i heard the v2 require hammering and relocating the horn. It is the same for aem regular CAI?
I didnt need to relocate the horn, also didnt need to hammer anything. I havent experienced a "Whistle" I just hear a deep and awesome Thug noise from it sucking in all the air it can take.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
looks good man, I will be doing mine this weekend. I'm so excited!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by loczek28
Yes.

Originally Posted by vt4lifecuf
Yes the V2 makes more power. No relocation needed and no hammering either.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice write up....I'm gonna tackle my V2 install this weekend.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Instructor

time to buy v2 with my tax money
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

As been asked, but not answered... What is the claimed power improvement for this swap? 5hp/5ft-lb or 20hp/20ft-lb or ???
Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 PM
"Like None Other"

AEM V2 FTMFW!!! love da sound and power! no regrets here!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 PM
SICK SSM

haha dirtbags sicker FTW!!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by NOS327
As been asked, but not answered... What is the claimed power improvement for this swap? 5hp/5ft-lb or 20hp/20ft-lb or ???

watever they claim for the accord
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Sandy Eggo

Originally Posted by WantTwoRun?
haha dirtbags sicker FTW!!!!
You like?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Pro

Here got new pics of the engine bay DAMN IS IT SWEET. Ill get the sticker moved soon so its in the right spot.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Looks good.. just bought mine today. But seems like you're missing a hose that should connect to that port or knub or whatever u wanna call it ..LoL?

Quick Reply: AEM v2 Install Review and Pics!