'05 A/T Base wheel horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015 | 08:38 PM
7th Gear

'05 A/T Base wheel horsepower?

I am curious at what the stock wheel horsepower on the 04-08 Acura TL with a A/T is?

Additionally, I was wondering what kind of numbers I could expect from installing a K&N cold air intake, XLR8 J Pipe and a RV6 V3 Precat Delete?

Thanks all,
Friznutz
Old 10-20-2015 | 09:54 PM
Advanced

42...?

Just kidding. I don't know, but searching and looking yields a lot of good stuff. Ive seen it in this forum but don't remember.
Old 10-20-2015 | 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

~210 stock.

~230 with those mods.
The following users liked this post:
Friznutz (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015 | 11:15 PM
Advanced

Those are about the mods Im going for- I have a K&N and pulled the silencer from the intake but used one part of it to suck air from the bumper/fender area, and Im picking up a VUE/MDX IM spacer later this week to install, then the J-pipe, PCD and exhaust will come springtime hopefully.
Old 10-20-2015 | 11:33 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by anx1300c
~210 stock.

~230 with those mods.
Thanks for the reply anx1300c! Those numbers sound about what I expected. Do you have a reference to this information?
Old 10-21-2015 | 02:00 AM
Intermediate

Not sure about the HP gain from those mods, but surely sounds great as I have all the breathing mods done except for the pcd/hfpc.
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:06 AM
Racer

Hey,

I took my TL out today for what was probably the last fun ride until next summer. I brought along my OBD2 module and Torque Pro to read the sensor data. I wanted to see the overall health of the engine, if there is any loss in performance since the last session I did earlier this summer. As far as I can tell, the TL is lookin' fantastic.

The weather condition were near perfect. Sunny, 15 degrees celcius, roads were dry, road is a 4km straight where the asphalt was redone just after winter so the road is magnificently perfect to floor the car. These readings have been taken at multiple occasion, with different combinations of settings: VSA off only, then shiftronic mode only, then VSA + Manual mode.

Maybe somebody could enlighten me on this, but the stats listed below, which for a 2005 stock TL are quite remarkable, were made on the run where I let the car take full control of traction and shifting. The second odd result was when VSA was on, but I was shifting the car. My 0-60 was a full second longer, but the registered HP was 251...is it normal? Maybe i changed gears higher than the car would normally but I don't think optimal HP is developed just below rev limit. Maybe I don't know how to shift, could be that, i very rarely drive in manual mode, and an actual MT is much easier to control.

As for car in auto, but VSA off, waste of time, and tire thread, the front wheels would just spin on launch and when shifting in 2nd and a small spin in 3. Not even worth talking about time since I lost so much time spinning in place.

Anyways, 222HP is about what? 180whp? Not too shabby for a decade old car.

P.S. Forgot to mention one important factor, last time I gassed was using regular fuel and not premium. The gas station had water infiltration issues in the higher octane tanks.
The following users liked this post:
Friznutz (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015 | 06:47 AM

^and you say you dont need math. pfft.
Old 10-21-2015 | 10:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by polish_pat
Hey,

I took my TL out today for what was probably the last fun ride until next summer. I brought along my OBD2 module and Torque Pro to read the sensor data. I wanted to see the overall health of the engine, if there is any loss in performance since the last session I did earlier this summer. As far as I can tell, the TL is lookin' fantastic.

The weather condition were near perfect. Sunny, 15 degrees celcius, roads were dry, road is a 4km straight where the asphalt was redone just after winter so the road is magnificently perfect to floor the car. These readings have been taken at multiple occasion, with different combinations of settings: VSA off only, then shiftronic mode only, then VSA + Manual mode.

Maybe somebody could enlighten me on this, but the stats listed below, which for a 2005 stock TL are quite remarkable, were made on the run where I let the car take full control of traction and shifting. The second odd result was when VSA was on, but I was shifting the car. My 0-60 was a full second longer, but the registered HP was 251...is it normal? Maybe i changed gears higher than the car would normally but I don't think optimal HP is developed just below rev limit. Maybe I don't know how to shift, could be that, i very rarely drive in manual mode, and an actual MT is much easier to control.

As for car in auto, but VSA off, waste of time, and tire thread, the front wheels would just spin on launch and when shifting in 2nd and a small spin in 3. Not even worth talking about time since I lost so much time spinning in place.

P.S. Forgot to mention one important factor, last time I gassed was using regular fuel and not premium. The gas station had water infiltration issues in the higher octane tanks.
is torque pro only for androids? i would love to run one of these but i have an iphone.

the flashpro has this bluetooth functionality now but i was one of the first ones to buy the TL flash pro and the earlier versions didn't include the bluetooth data feature and it's not worth spending another 200 to get my flash pro "updated" to what's now available for the same price i originally paid
Old 10-21-2015 | 11:04 AM
Team Owner

That HP is nothing more than an estimate. It's about as accurate, as, well, nothing. The change from 251hp to 222hp should be the indication.
Old 10-21-2015 | 11:05 AM
Team Owner

Old 10-21-2015 | 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey,

These engines lose very little, if any power over the duration of a couple hundred thousand miles. Take it to a track and have a little fun! A time slip from a track with NHRA timing eauipment paints a more accurate picture of your car's performance. A bone stock automatic should go very high 14's/low 15's depending on weather and track conditions.
Old 10-21-2015 | 01:27 PM
Racer

These engines lose very little, if any power over the duration of a couple hundred thousand miles. Take it to a track and have a little fun! A time slip from a track with NHRA timing eauipment paints a more accurate picture of your car's performance. A bone stock automatic should go very high 14's/low 15's depending on weather and track conditions.
I did. I have 3 tracks in a 30km radius that allow anybody to drag against others, with timing. The reason why I like torque is I have tested the readings it gave me vs actual track time and the difference was almost nothing. The track time starts when they say go where torque starts when you press on the gas. The times in both were close enough to comfortable say torque is a tool worth using.

Originally Posted by sockr1
is torque pro only for androids? i would love to run one of these but i have an iphone.

the flashpro has this bluetooth functionality now but i was one of the first ones to buy the TL flash pro and the earlier versions didn't include the bluetooth data feature and it's not worth spending another 200 to get my flash pro "updated" to what's now available for the same price i originally paid
Yup. There are iphone compatible equivalents but at a much, MUCH higher price point. On android, it's 15$ max. 10$ the obd2 reader and 5$ for the app. For ipone i believe you're closer to 70-90$ and the apps are not as featurefull as torque.

As for the difference in HP when in manual vs auto mode, it does make sense when you understand the relation between RPM torque and HP (dont just assume you know but really have no idea what you're talking about). Cars don't react the same way to shifting below or above peak power, but found this explanation that simplifies things

Myth 2: For best acceleration, you should shift at redline or max torque or max horsepower or...

None of these are exactly true, but redline is probably the closest guess of the three. You could derive a fancy equation involving the integral of the area under the horsepower curve between the RPM points of the two gears at the shifting speed, but as a practical matter you want to go past the peak horsepower RPM, then shift when the horsepower in the present gear decreases to be equal to the horsepower of the RPM after you shift to the new gear. In many cases this may be near redline, but not always. It depends on what gear you are in and how many RPM are lost when you shift. For example, let’s say you know that you have peak horsepower at 4000 RPM, and when you shift from 2nd to third in that RPM region, there is a 1000 RPM drop. Consequently, you should shift at 4500 so that after the shift you are going 3500 -- the same amount of RPM above peak as below peak horsepower. In this case the average RPM is roughly equal to the peak horsepower. This assumes that the shape of the horsepower curve is about the same on both sides of the peak, and while not exactly correct, is pretty close in most cases.
Old 10-21-2015 | 01:32 PM

^math isnt your strong suit?
Old 10-21-2015 | 01:44 PM
Safety Car

Yup. There are iphone compatible equivalents but at a much, MUCH higher price point. On android, it's 15$ max. 10$ the obd2 reader and 5$ for the app. For ipone i believe you're closer to 70-90$ and the apps are not as featurefull as torque.
I found one app called dash command that look like it's only $10 and gets really good reviews (some say better than torque) so i may try that out.
Old 10-21-2015 | 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Pat, the track you go to, actually has someone who yells "go" to start the race?
The following 2 users liked this post by anx1300c:
justnspace (10-21-2015), Majofo (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015 | 02:05 PM

Old 10-21-2015 | 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sockr1
I found one app called dash command that look like it's only $10 and gets really good reviews (some say better than torque) so i may try that out.
Dash is quite different. I was a beta tester for them and the app is less thechnical and more of a "driving routine" analyzer. Its basically if torque and facebook made a baby. It's not for the poweruser that wants all the data from the car sensors and be able to analyze it, its more for the guy that wants a nice app, just sophisticated enough.

Pat, the track you go to, actually has someone who yells "go" to start the race?
Of course not. LOOOL. But it is a human being that presses on the button to start the light panel countdown. But as mentionned, even if you are sharp in your reflexes, you still lose 400-600ms by the time the light goes green and you foot floors the car. Torque, you don't lose any time because as soon as gas pedal is pressed, the countdown starts

this is one of the tracks, there are a lot of serious vehicles on this track so my TL looks like a corolla.
http://www.napiervilledragway.com/home2006.htm

Last edited by polish_pat; 10-21-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

ah.. the ignorant patty cakes bullshit train continues full-steam ahead..
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Dash is quite different. I was a beta tester for them and the app is less thechnical and more of a "driving routine" analyzer. Its basically if torque and facebook made a baby. It's not for the poweruser that wants all the data from the car sensors and be able to analyze it, its more for the guy that wants a nice app, just sophisticated enough.

Of course not. LOOOL. But it is a human being that presses on the button to start the light panel countdown. But as mentionned, even if you are sharp in your reflexes, you still lose 400-600ms by the time the light goes green and you foot floors the car. Torque, you don't lose any time because as soon as gas pedal is pressed, the countdown starts

this is one of the tracks, there are a lot of serious vehicles on this track so my TL looks like a corolla.
http://www.napiervilledragway.com/home2006.htm
The timer doesn't start until you actually break the beam with your front wheels. Reaction time has nothing to do with elapsed time. You can sit at the light and eat a steak dinner after the light goes green and then still run the same ET as if you'd cut a perfect light.

What were your times at the track?
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-21-2015 | 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I think the redneck repairs also cost you a few thousand milliseconds too...
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:36 PM
Team Owner

As for the difference in HP when in manual vs auto mode, it does make sense when you understand the relation between RPM torque and HP (dont just assume you know but really have no idea what you're talking about). Cars don't react the same way to shifting below or above peak power, but found this explanation that simplifies things
It's clear you really don't understand the relation between RPM, Torque and HP at all. But I like how you act all condescending. I'm guessing that's too big of a word for you to comprehend... Sadly, I can't think of another word suitable for a 14 year old...
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:40 PM

The timer doesn't start until you actually break the beam with your front wheels. Reaction time has nothing to do with elapsed time. You can sit at the light and eat a steak dinner after the light goes green and then still run the same ET as if you'd cut a perfect light.

FYI.. pat passed all his college university courses in business, business ethics, electrical engineering, audio engineering, engine building, powertrain control systems, performance tuning, programming and weight management with flying colors.. he didn't even need to use math.

Upgrading Stock Audio - AcuraZine Community
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:42 PM
Team Owner

You forgot that he's also a symphony conductor. He KNOWS his OEM sound system puts out the best sound evaaar and that aftermarket stereos are a waste of money.
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:45 PM

Jimmy fucking Lovine bruh.. I partied with him in the early 80's.. wild man.. wild!

He also helped design teh uber ALS systemmm.. spec'd teh speakers and amp to perfection! magnifique!!
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:52 PM
Registered Bunny

That's my kind of dinner though!

Also, because mathematics are strong:
Mathematically-based 0-60 mph calculator - Corvette Forum

Go anywhere, get 1/8th done, get 0-60 out of it.

In the event you only have speed + 1/8th, there's that:
Wallace Racing -Calculate how fast your car goes 0 - 60 mph
It is not ideal, but close enough.
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:54 PM

Horreee shiett anx.. you really have her dialed in, love the new time.
Old 10-21-2015 | 03:57 PM
Racer

Here we go again. Another nice thread crapped on by the spice girls possy. Because the rambling section wasn't enough for all of you to shit on, you had to destroy an other thread? You guys are really pathetic.
Old 10-21-2015 | 04:01 PM

Here we go again. Another nice thread crapped on by the spice girls possy. Because the rambling section wasn't enough for all of you to shit on, you had to destroy an other thread? You guys are really pathetic.
crapping up a thread from a guy asking what the stock HP is on an automatic TL..

usually threads like this don't get the light of day.. but then you show up sunshine.
Old 10-21-2015 | 04:13 PM
Racer

Different day of the week. There are 1/4 mile day, drag day, lap day...
I went on drag day where you meet fellow riders in the pit and challenge them to either a 1/4, 1/8, 0-100 or 0-150. You basically tell the clerk what race you'll be doing and they set it up for you. Sometimes the timer doesn't even start. Sometimes it is about who has the best reflexes. That beam you refer to also serve the purpose of making sure you launch after the last green light turns off, if you break it before that, there are red lights that flash on your side of the track. It's really fun, well organized and only 5$ entry fee. There is a refuel truck on the spot and a stand by mechanic in case anybody needs it.
Once a year they have Police awereness day where you can challenge police vehicles. Last year they had a pursuit corvette and an all electric police car.

As for my track time, I don't remember. But i dont think they were far off from the times i posted earlier
Old 10-21-2015 | 04:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Majofo
crapping up a thread from a guy asking what the stock HP is on an automatic TL..

usually threads like this don't get the light of day.. but then you show up sunshine.
what a condescending prick. Not only does he ruin a thread, he manages to insult a new member while hes at it.
Team Owner

Someone still doesn't understand that the more insults he flings, the more he's going to get shit on. Take your beating like a champ and move on. It's your antagonism that keeps stirring up shit. Jesus, it's not business scho- uh, er, I mean rocket science.

I went on drag day where you meet fellow riders in the pit and challenge them to either a 1/4, 1/8, 0-100 or 0-150. You basically tell the clerk what race you'll be doing and they set it up for you. Sometimes the timer doesn't even start. Sometimes it is about who has the best reflexes. That beam you refer to also serve the purpose of making sure you launch after the last green light turns off, if you break it before that, there are red lights that flash on your side of the track. It's really fun, well organized and only 5$ entry fee. There is a refuel truck on the spot and a stand by mechanic in case anybody needs it.
Once a year they have Police awereness day where you can challenge police vehicles. Last year they had a pursuit corvette and an all electric police car.

As for my track time, I don't remember. But i dont think they were far off from the times i posted earlier
Old 10-21-2015 | 04:20 PM
Team Owner

what a condescending prick. Not only does he ruin a thread, he manages to insult a new member while hes at it.
You just said the other day that you're not a new member. Which is it? Or is it another fraudulent statement?
Old 10-21-2015 | 04:21 PM

Where did I insult or ruin said thread.. OP got his answer.
You're the one who ruined it with your bullshit..
Old 10-21-2015 | 04:25 PM

anx, I'd dine with you.
Old 10-21-2015 | 04:30 PM

Steamed crab or smoked pole (cocktail wienie)?
I'll bring the cerveza
Old 10-21-2015 | 04:34 PM
Team Owner

I like how Anx asked Peewee Patty what his times at the track are...

And Peewee Patty replies with something completely irrelevant.

Old 10-21-2015 | 07:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TacoBello
You just said the other day that you're not a new member. Which is it? Or is it another fraudulent statement?
wow...the intellect is strong in this one. I obviously was talking about OP. Saying that threads like this should never see light of day, meaning what? hes a dumbass that could have looked up the info himself?

Anyways. This will all be over very soon. I promiss!

Quick Reply: '05 A/T Base wheel horsepower?