XM Problem, Part Deux

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Problem, Part Deux

Alright, I am still having problems with my XM and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. I tried searching, came close, but did not find any solution.

Last Friday I purchased a 2005 TL base w/o nav. XM was able to tell me the serial number by calling and giving them the VIN as I could not change the channel using the tuning knob. In any event, XM sent a signal but I did not receive it. Since I was in my shaded driveway I figured it was the trees so I waited a few days. Yesterday I called and got them to resend the signal and got nothing. I was in a wide open space, radio on, just sitting there for 20 minutes. Nothing. Perhaps important is the fact I am not hearing the preview channel. The only channel I get is 001, and it is silent. Also perhaps important is it does say "LOADING" but nothing ever loads and I don't hear anything.

So, any idea what the problem could be? Could the XM module be bad? Could the module be missing and there is no error message? Any help is appreciated.

I fear my audio system has been somewhat jail raped as there are cut wires in the trunk that I assume once powered a sub and amp; and there is some sort of glue type sealant on the right hand side of the trunk in two or three places. There is also a cable coming from the bottom console stash that does nothing when I plugged my mp3 player in and turned it to Aux. I think my sub is missing completely and the speakers are not the best. Add to that the car is originally from CA and I am in GA and I should have done a better PPI, I fear the car suffered some catastrophic event since it is somewhat dirty inside. Certainly not the way I would have taken care of it, but it is 6 years old. Runs like a top though and gets good mpgs.

Anyway, enough of my laziness, has anyone run into the XM problem or have any ideas where I can start to diagnose the problem?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Pics of the trunk, wires, etc can help us. Sounds like your XM antenna/mod might be bad
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Trunk Monkey. I can't do pics yet as I am too noob. I did find in my search that I can squeeze down and look behind the console and look at the white XM connector and see if anything is messed up with it. I'll try and do that today, but I may just have an audio guy take the console apart and have a look see, that is unless you know where I can find directions for taking the console apart. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

What a difference a few days and some searching can do. No, my XM is still FUBAR, but I found a ton of disrections on taking the console apart. I looked behind the console and the white plug appears fine and untampered. The mp3 plug I thought I had was nothing but a wire with 2 female RCAs on the other end. I guess a previous owner had something hooked up to that, nothing now, so I'm just going to remove it. I'm going to pull the right rear trunk cover and see if the XM module is there.

Anyway, thanks for listening I guess; and if anyone else has had a similar XM problem, feel free to chime in.