Voice Recognition doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Voice Recognition doesn't work

The Navigation system doesn't understand what I am saying. When I press the "talk" button, it always says "Please repeat." Also people cannot hear me on the phone if I use the bluetooth function. I pulled up the diagnostics by holding down the Map/Guide button and Cancel (I believe it is) And it appears the microphone is not working. Does anyone have any experience replacing these? I got a quote from Acura that the part is $120. Not bad. Or do I have to replace more than just that?

If anyone could please help or lend some insight on this issue, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Check vendors on here that price seems very high! Its prolly very easy to replace! Pull yours first and see if its a simple wiring issue
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 PM
US Navy Seabees

Pull what? I have no idea what I'm looking for. I was hoping someone on here knew the best route to take.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
And it appears the microphone is not working. Does anyone have any experience replacing these? I got a quote from Acura that the part is $120.
According to the manual, the mic for the Navi is shared with the HFL/Bluetooth unit.
If the mic is bad, you'll have to replace the HFL unit, which is @$180 usually, so $120 is cheap.

Does your HFL work?
If it does, then the problem is not the mic system, but something between the Navi and the mic. There were a couple of threads here where members cleared up their voice control issues by installing a Navi disc update.
If not, replacing your HFL should do the trick. HFL removal and installation are very easy and will take about 10 minutes working slowly.
Originally Posted by pohljm
Check vendors on here that price seems very high! Its prolly very easy to replace! Pull yours first and see if its a simple wiring issue

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I guess my previous post is missing. Are you the original owner, has the car ever had a system in it? The microphones have to be disconnected to use an aftermarket sub in the car. I would check this first.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 AM
US Navy Seabees

Originally Posted by Will Y.
According to the manual, the mic for the Navi is shared with the HFL/Bluetooth unit.
If the mic is bad, you'll have to replace the HFL unit, which is @$180 usually, so $120 is cheap.

Does your HFL work?
If it does, then the problem is not the mic system, but something between the Navi and the mic. There were a couple of threads here where members cleared up their voice control issues by installing a Navi disc update.
If not, replacing your HFL should do the trick. HFL removal and installation are very easy and will take about 10 minutes working slowly.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I guess my previous post is missing. Are you the original owner, has the car ever had a system in it? The microphones have to be disconnected to use an aftermarket sub in the car. I would check this first.
Thanks for the replies guys. Okay, well it is good to know that the HFL and the mic are one in the same. Kill two birds with one stone. And yes, my phone will not pair with my HFL so I assume it is shot. I guess you guys pretty much answered my question. Just need to get the HFL replaced. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:39 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
OP, did your issue ever get resolved? As I am running into the same issue myself :/
Old 09-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Im also having an issue with voice commands. My phone pairs and I can make calls. But I cant say for example "temperature 70" it just says "repeat" or something along those lines. Also it does not read back a DTC like the stupid "tighten fuel cap" message that I get every few days.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
I guess my mic is bad, anyone got a DIY to replace it?

Here is what my diagnostic screen says, notice it trying to detect the mic, I think.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesnt the hfl use the same mic for the voice commands? I can press the hfl button and say call xxxxxx and it will ask if I would like to call xxxxxx then I hit the hfl button again and say "yes" and it makes the call
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your HFL work?

I just wanted to say thanks! I am having the same problem with my '07 TL
Old 05-14-2016, 02:57 AM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Hello All, wondering if anyone ever resokved this issue?> I am having theSAME problem
Old 10-11-2018, 03:27 PM
5th Gear

Having the same issue. Any help?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:17 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeluci22
Having the same issue. Any help?
Does the HFL work?
If not, that's the problem-- Voice Command only works when the HFL is plugged in and working.

If the HFL works, then confirm that the upper control switch for Voice Commands on the back of the steering wheel works-- pull the switch twice to activate Voice Commands without the Navi on and it will send a "beep" in acknowledgment so that you can state the verbal command.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:04 PM
5th Gear

So the HFL works....the voice command switch also works.

I found another post in anther forum that describes my issue pretty clearly (see below).

at start-up my Navi System Link screen runs a self diagnostic on my system, all items come up Green. I push the talk button and say "testing" and then the back button, it goes green except the last bar in the voice/volume metre is red. I get an "OK", everything in green so I exist the diagnostic but then at my next start up the system runs its self diagnostic again. I followed the instructions posted regarding "I screwed up my navigation, Please help me" by Mesalum, and when I go to the screen where it has "Incomplete Complete", the only one I can select is incomplete and then select return. The system reboots, the screen goes black, then restarts and then the self diagnostic occurs again and then I try the incomplete complete again and this time I am able to select complete but again at start-up the same problem of running a diagnostic. Anybody have any other ideas, should I do the steps again and then disconnect the battery or maybe something else?

Only differences - my mic "bar" does not go up at all and I do not get an "OK" I get an "NG"
Old 01-31-2019, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does the HFL work?
If not, that's the problem-- Voice Command only works when the HFL is plugged in and working.

If the HFL works, then confirm that the upper control switch for Voice Commands on the back of the steering wheel works-- pull the switch twice to activate Voice Commands without the Navi on and it will send a "beep" in acknowledgment so that you can state the verbal command.

Welcome to AZ.

2008 MDX
I have the same problem. I looked on the back of the steering wheel but could not find any switch. Can you tell me precisely where it is located?

Also, how can I tell if my HFL is working. Can anyone tell me a test to try to see if it is working? Do I have to pair my cell phone to the Nav system in order to determine if HFL is working?