A video showing everyone why you need the navigation option..Add ons!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Sweet setup and nice vid. Thanks for sharing and expiring others to further improve/mod there rides......
Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
mmade, WOW man I can definitely appreciate your work man. My setup is really similar except for the iPod and the Stilleto. I got the headrest LCDs etc. etc. the works, I am sure you have seen my thread. You are making me want to hook up an iPod though. It can connect easy through my PIE audio interface if I want. People ask me all the time what all this stuff is for if I really use it. Once you have it you will really use it all and be so happy you did it. Every other car I drive feels so boring now because my TL is so hooked up. And there is nothing "hacked up" about our interiors because obviously they have been done right and done pro by OURSELVES! When you do it yourself there is more detail and care to do it right than any other "pro". To revert back costs very little, headrests from junked cars are on Ebay all day thank you. Seriously some people want us to brag about how much money we have/don't have. HAHA I think we know what we are doing when we mod. We mod smart. It's an expensive hobby and the return on it is our own happiness.

Don't listen to it. Everywhere I go 95% people love my mods. There is always going to be 5% that shake their heads and don't get it. So what? They don't have good taste. Enjoy your car!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Nice set-up! Everything looks great. I don't have the guts to cut into my headrests or arm rest.

I have an in-dash Navi coming this week. Any chance you'd want to help me install it with the bypass? I'll pay... and buy lunch.
So you have an aftermarket stereo with the navigation that you want to put in your non-nav setup? That is a lot of work. I have installed four aftermarket in dash navigation systems. They are pretty easy, kind of like hooking up an aftermarket stereo with the addition of tapping into the vss wire, backup wire, and the factory amp. It's pretty much an all day affair. Do you have any knowledge on this?

I could definatly assist you in this project if you need my help but my plate is a little full at this time. I swapped the non-nav to nav unit in Eric's car about a month ago and we still need to install the mic setup and switches along with running the harness. After that, I might be able to help. PM me.

Originally Posted by tabularasa
haha! Thats not my sub. Thats just the picture that Travis has in another thread. I have ordered that sub-box and will be putting my sub in there. Do you not have a sub in your car?

I am at least a month away from taking care of everything on the car that needs to be done before I tackle the sweet navigation setup. I will certainly PM you when i can take a drive up to Charlotte.

What kind of beer do you like?
No sub yet! I have been looking at that exact one. I may also make my own custom corner box. I have a few plans with a sub. I would love to hear that thing once you get it. Are you putting it in? If you are putting the sub in, you could do the I-simple mod as well. It is so easy. Do you need help with the sub install?

Originally Posted by Rob RiL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can tell...you used the peripheral controller and inputed to the factory nav....then the DVD player inputed to the controller.....then the extra monitors as outputs of the DVD??

That makes sense to me at least. Just want a confirmation I guess.
I have the peripheral unit for my Audio feed on all of my aftermarket accesories. The periperal unit has TWO audio auxilary inputs so my Stilleto and dvd player audio is hooked up to that. The other audio input is for the Ipod.

The NAV2GO is the aftermarket box that allows Video feed only. It overrides the navigation in two ways. Watch the video again and you will notice I go into my center armrest compartment and flip a little toogle switch. That allows the DVD player video to come up on the screen. I wired the backup camera to the reverse lights to override the navigation screen when I put it into reverse.

I hope that makes sense to ya!

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
mmade, WOW man I can definitely appreciate your work man. My setup is really similar except for the iPod and the Stilleto. I got the headrest LCDs etc. etc. the works, I am sure you have seen my thread. You are making me want to hook up an iPod though. It can connect easy through my PIE audio interface if I want. People ask me all the time what all this stuff is for if I really use it. Once you have it you will really use it all and be so happy you did it. Every other car I drive feels so boring now because my TL is so hooked up. And there is nothing "hacked up" about our interiors because obviously they have been done right and done pro by OURSELVES! When you do it yourself there is more detail and care to do it right than any other "pro". To revert back costs very little, headrests from junked cars are on Ebay all day thank you. Seriously some people want us to brag about how much money we have/don't have. HAHA I think we know what we are doing when we mod. We mod smart. It's an expensive hobby and the return on it is our own happiness.

Don't listen to it. Everywhere I go 95% people love my mods. There is always going to be 5% that shake their heads and don't get it. So what? They don't have good taste. Enjoy your car!

Rockyfeller, of course I have seen your threads and your screens. Your car is like a movie theater. Very nice setup and you and I think alike in many ways. It is people like you who make this thread what it is. I loved the angel eye mod, the undercar lighting, the stereo mods, etc. I can go on all day about you.

I appreciate everything you have done on your car and the fact that you share your mods for all to drool on and maybe do on there own ride is priceless. Keep it up brotha
Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mmade22
I have the peripheral unit for my Audio feed on all of my aftermarket accesories. The periperal unit has TWO audio auxilary inputs so my Stilleto and dvd player audio is hooked up to that. The other audio input is for the Ipod.

The NAV2GO is the aftermarket box that allows Video feed only. It overrides the navigation in two ways. Watch the video again and you will notice I go into my center armrest compartment and flip a little toogle switch. That allows the DVD player video to come up on the screen. I wired the backup camera to the reverse lights to override the navigation screen when I put it into reverse.

I hope that makes sense to ya!
ummmm.......kind of. I think I got lost a bit on what components you have and what each does (I didn't see the NAV2GO).

okay, sooo, all the audio is inputed to the sound system from the peripheral unit. all the video (yellooows as I call them) are hooked to the nav tv through the NAV2GO......and then the extra monitors display the video from the DVD player? or are they displaying the navigation and reverse cam and whatever else displays on the main nav screen?? (this is where I'm lost on what the NAV2GO does). ....I should do some Google'ing but I'd rather hear it straight from someone who's done it than from a product description.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
200,000 mile club

You are correct...The DVD player has three outputs.....Two that go to the Headrest screens and one that goes into the Video #1 input on the Nav2Go unit. The Nav2go unit then sends the video signal to the navigation screen for the driver and front passenger.

No navigation or reverse cam are on the rear units, only the navigation unit via the Nav2Go unit.

Does that answer it?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
For those of you that were interested, I finally got a chance to post up my setup and tried to be as descriptive as possible.

Click Thread Link

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 01-08-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
^^^ Awesome job
Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Thanks JD, but lets Keep all comments/questions related to my setup in my thread, don't wanna hijack mmade's thread. And it keeps it easier for me to respond to any questions.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 PM
05 TL 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No sub yet! I have been looking at that exact one. I may also make my own custom corner box. I have a few plans with a sub. I would love to hear that thing once you get it. Are you putting it in? If you are putting the sub in, you could do the I-simple mod as well. It is so easy. Do you need help with the sub install?
I would absolutely love help with the sub install. I will have to buy everything and have it all ready before I make the drive up there. The only thing I really don't know is how long of a cable I will need for the amp.

Also, Do you still like the audiovox with the remote? Did you get that at Best Buy?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Nice set up and great job I already have the isimple ipod hookup and have been trying to decide what to do next...sub & amp or backup cam & dvd? Seeing this thread makes me want to do the backup cam and dvd. Can't do both right now since my husband is laid off , decisions, decisions...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
200,000 mile club

I would absolutely love help with the sub install. I will have to buy everything and have it all ready before I make the drive up there. The only thing I really don't know is how long of a cable I will need for the amp.

Also, Do you still like the audiovox with the remote? Did you get that at Best Buy?
I have another dvd audiovox player with a remote if you want it. 25 bucks fair? You can see when you roll out this way. I can help with the sub in about a month or so. I need to get some other things done with my own stuff and some other friends locally. Hit me up with a pm when you know of a date you are getting this.

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
Nice set up and great job I already have the isimple ipod hookup and have been trying to decide what to do next...sub & amp or backup cam & dvd? Seeing this thread makes me want to do the backup cam and dvd. Can't do both right now since my husband is laid off , decisions, decisions...

Sorry to hear about that. The backup cam is great but try to get something better than the Wendy's cam. I have had mine a year and everyone said they started to have issues after a year and wouldn't ya know, now mine sometimes won't work. It was working today but who knows. When it is damp out, it seems to be the issue. Oh well.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
05 TL 6MT

I have another dvd audiovox player with a remote if you want it. 25 bucks fair? You can see when you roll out this way. I can help with the sub in about a month or so. I need to get some other things done with my own stuff and some other friends locally. Hit me up with a pm when you know of a date you are getting this.
Sounds perfect on both accounts. By the time i can PM, i'll hit you up. Thanks! $25 is a score!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM
05 TL 6MT

Just scored an iSimple at Circuit City's going out of business sale for $75! Score!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 293 Likes on 141 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video.. you did a great job and I bet the kids love it even more than you!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Advanced

Actually putting TV's on the headrest added value to my car, i had an 06 NBP TL had TV's on the headrest, and DVD player on the Glove Compartment, also had the switch to change the navi to play the DVD, rear camera, and when i traded the TL for my Type S now, my payoff was about 29K the appraisal came out to 34K and i only spent 1500 for the mods...

so correct me if i'm wrong here, i think i made some money on that... i don't know i'm asian..i'm supposed to be good with numbers...
Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Liquidflex81
you posted a video of your hacked up interior,, do you think everyone on this board was/is going to like it?

don't like my opinion? oh well lol who are you to me i don't care , you take the good , you take the bad, that's the facts of life haha

far far far from jealous elegant type s, next galaxy far...

171 for new headrests.. correct me if i'm wrong,, your still losing money here... and re selling the dvd monitors, plug and play stuff, your never gonna see your money back on that in 2 years,, heck in 6 months the electronics in the headrests will be obsolete, you'll be takin a ride back to circuit city soon i'm sure...

but hey who cares i'm a jealous non navi tl driver remember?
Who puts on less than 10k miles a year on his ride,,, i appriciate the value of my car very much, this is why i don't do the things i see on youtube to my car. Cutting headrests, drilling holes in my center console for a switch, ack the thought of it makes me cringe.
LiquidFlex81 - Circuit is going bankrupt. I doubt if he will take the car, back to them.

mmade22 - Excellent work man. I just got a used TL and can't wait to do this mod.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

MMADE22. Wow man I was expecting you to react totally different to the attacks on your awesome upgrades. The guy who called you out obviously did not appreciate your skills and motives behind the post. Thanks for sharing that - I am impressed and motivated.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Decision made! This is EXACTLY what I want to do. I found a complete brand new nav kit for 1500 which includes everything you need to hook it up (harnesses, voice command, dvd nav, screen and sub screen) I gotta do it now
Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

Hi! I love your upgrades. I have a 2005 w/navi, but I haven't done anything with it at all. I would really like to know how to get the iPod integration with the navi, the reverse camera, and the DVD player. Did you use one kit to get all three, or was each one done individually? Forgive me, I'm brand new to this and I need step by step details and information. Some of the responses were over my head, but I did read in an effort to find out. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by leslie2877
Hi! I love your upgrades. I have a 2005 w/navi, but I haven't done anything with it at all. I would really like to know how to get the iPod integration with the navi, the reverse camera, and the DVD player. Did you use one kit to get all three, or was each one done individually? Forgive me, I'm brand new to this and I need step by step details and information. Some of the responses were over my head, but I did read in an effort to find out. Thanks in advance.
He sold it a while back: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/so-ends-mmade22-sells-tl-moves-into-gs-thanks-everything-azine-791926/

But he still checks in from time-to-time.

Best thing to do is search and/or post in the Electronics and Navigation sub-forum.

I know mmade22 did an install pic thread for the rear seat monitor and a couple of other mods.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
This set up is ALMOST as cool as those black vinyl letters in your bumper... I got an 18 month old that I think this would be great for.

LiquidFlex, what the hell do you care what someone else does to THEIR car, anyway? You're acting like it's YOUR lady someone's been messing with. From a fellow 1981'er gain some maturity and move on to another thread. You're not contributing, just wasting space.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the video! I really appreciate it and even though I already have the AUX in my center armrest, i would love to get the isimple so i can skip songs on my steering wheel instead of picking up the iphone to do it X_X thanks again!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
nice setup! i have a 07 tl-s and i got the navi too and i also have a dvd player AND backup camera(stock).
Old 03-09-2011, 02:59 AM
I need a car in

WOW!! Great set up!! i have the exact same thing set up in my car with the cam, iphone, rear headrest monitor. i just need to hook up my dvd player in my room but i might lag it a bit since i have it playing music video from my iphone
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
nice setup! i have a 07 tl-s and i got the navi too and i also have a dvd player AND backup camera(stock).
Same here, however...DVD Audio player. Did you do the hack to play video through your stock DVD Audio player? Was it difficult? I thought you had to have your Navi disk in the player for the Navi to work. Is this correct?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
Same here, however...DVD Audio player. Did you do the hack to play video through your stock DVD Audio player? Was it difficult? I thought you had to have your Navi disk in the player for the Navi to work. Is this correct?
i have an aftermarket dvd drive in my cubby hole underneath the nav screen. and i have an aux cable ran underneath my center console and plugs into the AUX port, so i basically flip a switch to switch to dvd screen, then change to AUX on my headunit and im good to go.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Cruisin'

jealous
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VQPower37
dude why did you join the forum if you dont like takin apart your car ... that is what 90 percent of people do on this forum, people don't spend money on cars as an investment as it continues to depreciate. If thats your idea of a good investment, i am sorry but you will never make any money. The OP is enjoying his car, and has done a damn good job in modding it IMO. People buy cars to drive it, not keep it with the lowest mileage possible and always the thought of having the highest resale value.
haha i like the way you put it man. Why do people put out money to buy other parts for their cars in the first place ? to make it look sick! and the OP did a great job at doing it. I'm 21 and looking at his car makes me jealous. It's pretty sweet. I have no kids but heck with all those cool gadgets I'll do it too if i have the extra bucks.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
i have an aftermarket dvd drive in my cubby hole underneath the nav screen. and i have an aux cable ran underneath my center console and plugs into the AUX port, so i basically flip a switch to switch to dvd screen, then change to AUX on my headunit and im good to go.
That sounds too simple. I went to a local sound shop and they said I needed a separate DVD player and some module ($350) to send video from the DVD player to the Navi screen.

Does anyone have a picture of what the back of the Navi and stereo look like?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, thats totally badass. Bravo. I'm looking to hook my car up in a similar way. I just got my 05 6-speed NAV and already ordered a custom sub enclosure from Travis.

I live in Columbia SC. Any chance you want to help out a neighbor with an install?
where can I get this custom enclosure??
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Mmade, I give you props! The setup is sick, inovative, and inspirational, and I am setting up my system to echo your functions. I apologize on behalf of the few dipshits who had negative feedback about your post. I trying to bump this thread and keep it alive!

The setup I ordered for my 08 MDX Tech w/NAV:
-Center Overhead 15'' flipdown screen
-Aux Pioneer DVD player (Will go in front rest vs 2nd row armrest)
-iSimple PXAMG + PGHHD2C
-TVandNAV2Go

With this setup I will have an aux video input which could easily be replaced with Blu-ray or PC etc, and ability to que up/watch movies from the drivers seat, as well as run the ipod.
Since the 15inch screen will block the rear view, Im putting in a 3 way toggle to manualy turn on the rear camera while driving.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquidflex81
you posted a video of your hacked up interior,, do you think everyone on this board was/is going to like it?

don't like my opinion? oh well lol who are you to me i don't care , you take the good , you take the bad, that's the facts of life haha

far far far from jealous elegant type s, next galaxy far...

171 for new headrests.. correct me if i'm wrong,, your still losing money here... and re selling the dvd monitors, plug and play stuff, your never gonna see your money back on that in 2 years,, heck in 6 months the electronics in the headrests will be obsolete, you'll be takin a ride back to circuit city soon i'm sure...

but hey who cares i'm a jealous non navi tl driver remember?
Who puts on less than 10k miles a year on his ride,,, i appriciate the value of my car very much, this is why i don't do the things i see on youtube to my car. Cutting headrests, drilling holes in my center console for a switch, ack the thought of it makes me cringe.

If you bought an Acura TL to make money or expect to get what you paid for out of it, you bought the wrong car.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think ifound my first mod am planning to do without the tvs in head rest i have travel to san diego with my bby cuzn and it might come useful wit her or my annoyins sisters haha anyways cool beans man
Old 11-19-2011, 12:36 PM
6th Gear

That's a really nice setup there!