Upper Display Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Upper Display Problems

Last night I was driving my new 05 6MT Navi and stopped for gas. After restarting the car, I noticed that the upper screen (the smaller screen above the navi display) was only showing the clock but no info about the phone, climate control or radio. I pulled over and restarted the car and randomly changed settings on the climate control and the car began displaying info about the climate control and radio but the telephone icon never showed again. I tried clearing the Hands Free system and re-pairing the phone connection with no results. Called "hands free" tech support today and they say it's the display and not the phone and to make a service appt. I am sure the service people will be pissed trying to fix such a small problem. A missing phone icon to a service manager is like a pimple on the ass. "At least the damn thing will crank boy"..I can hear it now.
After doing a search on the site, I read several comments that stated how hard it is to access stuff inside the dash of the TL (One dealership gave a customer a new car to get out of working on the displays, reassuring huh??) but if the thing is supposed to work, I want it fixed. It worked before last night.
I can see another pain in the ass service experience looming on the horizion. I got 2 free hood dents on my wife's 01 TL last time I went to service... :wtf:
Old 12-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think they should really complain - the dealer will be making money from the service anyways (factory will pay them for the labor time... right?)

I have read disconnecting the battery sometimes resolves little electrical problems... may want to look into that. Of course you will lose all your settings, but if it saves a trip to the dealer...
Old 12-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Racer

More data on upper display problems

THis morning, I went for a drive and now don't get outside temperature readings from the odometer screen below the engine instruments and all the presets on the raido are gone..I hate electrical problems, but now I won't feel so bad about taking the car in for repair.
Vik, I will try resetting the system by disconnecting the battery before going to the dealership. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmm interesting. Have you made any mods to the car? (electrically?)

Go for the battery thing (at least thats what I would do) if it doesn't help schedule an appointment .
Old 12-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
I don't think they should really complain - the dealer will be making money from the service anyways (factory will pay them for the labor time... right?)

I have read disconnecting the battery sometimes resolves little electrical problems... may want to look into that. Of course you will lose all your settings, but if it saves a trip to the dealer...
Hey Vikrampatel,
I disconnected the battery as you advised and now everything is working perfectly again...You saved me a dreaded trip to the Acura service dept.
Thanks
JP
Old 12-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Sweet
Old 12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Instructor

I had 3 problems hit all at once: No temp display, no phone icon, and the climate control running in a completely different setting. I recognize that disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses as others have suggested, might force everything to reset. Since I already have a B service scheduled this week, I am going to try and get them to diagnose the root cause and fix. Any bets that they fix the problem by just disconnecting the battery and then give me a story about replacing a weak relay?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:48 PM
Racer

Upper Display

Originally Posted by 93SHOcar
I had 3 problems hit all at once: No temp display, no phone icon, and the climate control running in a completely different setting. I recognize that disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses as others have suggested, might force everything to reset. Since I already have a B service scheduled this week, I am going to try and get them to diagnose the root cause and fix. Any bets that they fix the problem by just disconnecting the battery and then give me a story about replacing a weak relay?
Hey 93 SHOcar,
If they do make a diagnosis for your display problem, please post the defect that was found. I agree and think there is a root cause to this problem.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:25 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 93SHOcar
Same thing happened to me yesterday. In my case, right after I started the car I heard three short beeps. HVAC reset to MIN for both sides (i.e., max AC), "phone paired" icon in the upper display went away, and the outside temp indicator disappeared. Everything else seems to be OK.

Did you ever get an answer to what the problem was when you took your car in for service?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:26 PM
10th Gear

My problem involves the fan blowing starts to blow air inside on its own, and when i keep pressing off it doesn't help. I have to turn the fan on and then off to stop the fan blowing. It happened like 4 times already and its starting to piss me off. Anybody else experiencing this?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the term for disconnecting the computers from power all together is "cold restart"
Old 05-06-2005, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear

Same problem - need display head replaced?

I have an 05 TL purchased 3 months ago. The exact same thing happened. Got in one day and all the audio stations were reset, my phone was un-paired and outside temp displayed three dashed (---F). I reset all the stations, and paired the phone, but the phone icon never came back on and the outside temp never displayed.

Took it in for service 2 days ago. I am being told the "display head" of the navi needs to be replaced, but the part is on national backorder. I have a problem with replacing what seems to be a major part of the car after 3 months and less than 1000 miles! And in the meantime, I'm driving a loaner - Dodge Neon!

Has anyone else been told this same thing? I haven't tried disconnecting the battery.....may be worth it though.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Yes, I had the same problem, ---F on the temp, no phone icon, XM presets gone, rear defrost out. There are several threads on this and they are listed in the answers to my question:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113795

I disconnected the battery ground for 4 seconds. It solved it, .....for now.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Always clear the --- temperature display before parking overnight or for several days. Most people have reported this condition will drain the battery in a few days. The dealers don't have a clue what this is.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Spingrinder
Yes, I had the same problem, ---F on the temp, no phone icon, XM presets gone, rear defrost out. There are several threads on this and they are listed in the answers to my question:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113795

I disconnected the battery ground for 4 seconds. It solved it, .....for now.
Right. My friend did the same thing to his TL and it's so far so good. He prolly will check with his dealer in his next visit.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Racer

Fixed...I think

After posting about losing temp sensor, phone icon and various info on the upper display in my 05 navi, I read the posts here and found that the problems could be fixed by disconnecting the battery. Despite the "quick fix" the problems would return. I took the car to the dealership and the entire navi was replaced without a hassel. The techs damaged a few interior chrome pieces and the shifter knob but everything was replaced and now the car is back in perfect condition. I recently went on a 4000 mile vacation and the navi was flawless.
I have changed my opinion and really think the dealer service has improved. I appreciate their efforts in solving these problems.
Bottom line. it took a complete replacement of the navi system to resolve the issues described in this thread and I think it is a known issue at Acura.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this an 05 problem?? My car is 04 and the electrical crap I have is loss of memory seats.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
After posting about losing temp sensor, phone icon and various info on the upper display in my 05 navi, I read the posts here and found that the problems could be fixed by disconnecting the battery. Despite the "quick fix" the problems would return. I took the car to the dealership and the entire navi was replaced without a hassel. The techs damaged a few interior chrome pieces and the shifter knob but everything was replaced and now the car is back in perfect condition. I recently went on a 4000 mile vacation and the navi was flawless.
I have changed my opinion and really think the dealer service has improved. I appreciate their efforts in solving these problems.
Bottom line. it took a complete replacement of the navi system to resolve the issues described in this thread and I think it is a known issue at Acura.
Better than I could expect. Good to know. Thanks for the update.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

Upper Display - FIXED!

Dealer replaced display head (and put a small slice in the dashboard material -- which they fixed) and all is well ! The only strange thing I've noticed since is that the outside temp sometimes will go to - - -F as I'm driving or sitting in traffic and stay that way for a while, then come back to normal with a 116 degree temperature reading which quickly descends back to down to the 90's (this is in Texas in 95+ degree heat). I figure the temp sensor only goes so high, then crashes and comes back down.