Upgraded rear speakers, but they are mids only?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 AM
deno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Upgraded rear speakers, but they are mids only?

In the process of upgrading my system..little at a time... I enlarged the rear speaker holes and put 6.5" Oz Audio coaxials, but I only get mid-high signals...are these rear signals crossed over at the factory amp? Other than bypassing the stock amp with an aftermarket amp, what is the best way in the short term (prior to stock amp replacement) to get full range signals out of the rear speakers so I can enjoy my accomplishment
Old 08-08-2006, 08:51 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by popeyedeno
In the process of upgrading my system..little at a time... I enlarged the rear speaker holes and put 6.5" Oz Audio coaxials, but I only get mid-high signals...are these rear signals crossed over at the factory amp? Other than bypassing the stock amp with an aftermarket amp, what is the best way in the short term (prior to stock amp replacement) to get full range signals out of the rear speakers so I can enjoy my accomplishment
In the 2004 TL the rear speakers/signals are "effects" only.. As in the same way your 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS home theater rear channels are. So yes, the signal from either the head unit or amp is the issue. When I first took delivery of my 04 I thought their was something wrong with my stereo... Then I read the article about the vehicle/TL sound system and it "all was clear"...

I read an article that also said the 2005/6 would have more of a full range sound for the rear...?? Any 05/06 owners that can confirm?

Popey - when and if you do come up with an amp solution etc. let us know.. I would like to have more from the rear channels as well..
Old 08-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced

I have 06 and I hooked up my sub through rear channels, plenty of bass. no idea about 04 but if it's 5.1, the rear channels should be full range.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaryTL
I have 06 and I hooked up my sub through rear channels, plenty of bass. no idea about 04 but if it's 5.1, the rear channels should be full range.

They are not in the 04... The definition of "full range"/5.1DD and the rear sound in the 2004 TL are not synonymous.. Bottom line, even when listening to XM, standard CD,s etc. in the 04, the rear sound is very muted.. Listening to a 5.1 disk makes it sound better yet still subdued. Its just the way the system was originally designed for 04. Sitting in the back seat sucks if you're wanting to hear good sound etc.. That is why they changed it for 05/06 (so the article stated).
Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 PM
deno

So it seems that the head units for 05/06 are at least different in that the rear channels are full range..vs "effects only"..maybe I should look into acquiring a used 05/06 head unit..hmm...not sure how else to get the full range signal in the rear..a shame, as I enlarged the rear speaker holes to accomodate Oz Audio 6/5" Coaxials, with blue LEDs...I thought by definition 5.1 DTS support specified that the rear channel had to support full range?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM
deno

Hmm..so it seems I need to look at acquiring an 04/05 head unit..
I thought that Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS specified that the rear channels must be stereo and full range?

Is it possible that the signals have been crossed over at the amp, and that if I pick the signal prior to the amp, put a LOC and run through an amp (5.1 amp is on my list for future project..speaker upgrade is stage one) I can recover full range. Key question is if the head unit supports rear full range..it would be streange if it didn't. Anyone know? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:25 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So if that is the case...would it be useless to replace the rear speakers with better ones if it will not make any difference at all? Unless you power the rear with an aftermkt amp maybe??
Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 AM
deno

What I am dealing with right now will not be solved by powering the rear speakers with an aftermarket amp...amplification is not the issue. The issue is that the signals going to the rear L/R speakers do not appear to be "full range" signals and appear to have been filtered (crossed over) so that only mid and high level signals get to the rear channels..so amplifiying it would only amplify these mid to high signals and not recover lower frequency range to fill in the spectum between the mids and the low (think subwoofer) signals. I need to know if the signals have been crossed over at the stock amp, in which case when I add an amp later, and bypass the stock amp, I will get rull range signals. But, if the rear channel signals have been crossed over at the head unit, which means it is already mid level and higher only before it gets to the stock amp, then it won't solve my problem..I'd like to get full range signals out of the new rear speakers to take advange of them, and to improve the overall listening experience, particularly from the back seat.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:43 AM
8th Gear

If the signal is getting crossed over at the stock amp, then taking the signal from the wire before it enters the stock amp will give you full range. Unless someone has done this before you, there's only one way to find out

Originally Posted by popeyedeno
Hmm..so it seems I need to look at acquiring an 04/05 head unit..
I thought that Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS specified that the rear channels must be stereo and full range?

Is it possible that the signals have been crossed over at the amp, and that if I pick the signal prior to the amp, put a LOC and run through an amp (5.1 amp is on my list for future project..speaker upgrade is stage one) I can recover full range. Key question is if the head unit supports rear full range..it would be streange if it didn't. Anyone know? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Advanced

I'm having the same problem! I took the speaker level signal from the rear speaker location for my aftermarket amp. I set the amp to output this to all four channels and I have NO mid-level bass!

To solve the problem, I'm going to solder in some RCA cables to the pre-factory amp front channels and see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work well I plan to replace the RCA with a Cat-5 cable with and audio balun to connect it to the amp.

Zoser
Old 08-09-2006, 12:19 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Would maybe adding Audio Control line driver help??? Currently that is my set up as I have tap the rear speakers to my line converter to my Audio Control Line Driver to my aft mkt amp to my subs. The line driver basically enhances the signal. With it, my subs can play really low base. So maybe that might help?? I am also planning in adding another amp to run my front/rear mids & tweets.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:31 AM
deno

hmm.. not familiar with Audio Control line driver, or how it works, but I don't think it will work, unless it is able to recover the lower frequencies that were crossed over at the amp or the head unit..what year is your TL? KJSmitty mentaioned that he heard that 05/06 TLs may have full range, vs 04 TL, which doesn't (mine is '04)..
Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Talking

I found the problem with my lack of mid-range bass. The dumb a$$ installer that put in my front components reversed the polarity of the rear speakers while trimming my wiring(which I had to redo). The amp detected this and reduced the power to all speakers. Now it's clear as bell with no hiss and top notch sound. I am using a David Navone LOC from the post factory amp front channels. I reduced the gains in the LOC to 50% and used low voltage input. Input sensitivity to about 40%. Both filters off. I velcroed the LOC to the stock amp and ran a cheap 12' car RCA from Walmart to the amp.

Does anyone know if I should enable the High Pass Filter on a JL Audio 300/4 amp for
Diamond Audio s600s hex component speakers? They have seperate crossovers to seperate the tweets from the midrange but don't know if it clips the low bass frequencies that it cannot handle.

Hope this helps.

Zoser
Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Advanced

I have an 05 TL Navi btw.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:04 AM
deno

Can someone do this quick audio test please?

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
In the 2004 TL the rear speakers/signals are "effects" only.. As in the same way your 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS home theater rear channels are. So yes, the signal from either the head unit or amp is the issue. When I first took delivery of my 04 I thought their was something wrong with my stereo... Then I read the article about the vehicle/TL sound system and it "all was clear"...

I read an article that also said the 2005/6 would have more of a full range sound for the rear...?? Any 05/06 owners that can confirm?

Popey - when and if you do come up with an amp solution etc. let us know.. I would like to have more from the rear channels as well..
Can someone with an 05/06 TL turn off their subwoofer (select sub, then keep turning it down, after -6 is off setting), then fade totally to rear and tell me if you just hear midrange and high frequencies. I want to confirm if this is true for 05/06 TL also, or as KJSmitty mentioned, changes were made in this regard. You should be able to easily contrast this with the front channels in terms of base response. Expect less highs in the rear, as I don't think it has tweaters in the rear (my '04 doesn't)