Tweeter placement, dash hump, and the passenger seat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crzygosu87
exactly! When I switched back to the OEM tweeter location, sound imaging deteriorated by a fair amount ... decided to make some tweeter pods to see if I can remedy it to a certain degree and then many hours of tinkering with the 3sixty afterward lol
I found soft dome tweeters that are great off axis worked very well to combat this in the factory locations
Old 03-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Since sound is direct reflecting and the windshield being a very har dsurface, how can the sound deteriorate? It could be an angle of reflection causing the sound to reflect to the wrong position but you should not lose any "pressure" of the sound wave.
The sound doesn't deteriorate but the sound wave's phase relationship does change. In component systems it is very important for the phase of the sound waves generated by the different drivers be as aligned as possible. This is very important for imaging as well as for overall tonal performance in the cross-over region.

Adjusting the drivers of a component system to get them back in phase alignment is really important and this is done by adjusting the time alignment of the different drivers. After the drivers for each side of the stage are aligned then the two sides of the stage can be adjusted together and the overall image can then be centered and adjusted.

As you pointed out when the sound is reflected off of the windscreen then the paths from the driver to your ear are different. Now visualize in our cars that with the slant in the windscreen how different positions have different path lengths and also how there is a direct path from the tweeter to your ear. Because of all of these different path lengths it is impossible to select one time delay that will be right for any one position; I just use trial and error to find the setting that sounds best.

Now think about how hard it is to set the time delays so that the phase alignment is accurate for the passenger as well as the driver; this was the original topic of the thread. It's too hard for me so I just adjust it for me the driver and the passenger get what they get.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat557
hey from what ive seen an ms8 can be installed under the passengers seat just has to be a bit back because there is a small black box under there. also if you want the bluetooth to work properly you either have to have another speaker hooked to the oem signal or you can do what im doing and hooking it to a toggle switch to go between the ms8 signal and the oem signal
Thank you. Probably going to move it depending on my amp selection later on.

Originally Posted by niebur3
I am finally starting to feel better, coughing aside, how is that MS8 install going? You can call me on Sat with any questions.
Glad you're feeling better. I might call you on Monday, don't want to disturb your Sunday. The install went great. It took me a while since I pulled the carpet and center console out to do sound deadening. I only wish I had bought carpet for the car. My black carpet did not look old until I saw the untouched carpet under the seats and center console.

I did something different just to try it out. I hooked the stock amp into the MS8 high level inputs. Did just the fronts and sub outputs. The hiss that is usually there when amplifying the already amplified signal is gone! I don't know how it does this but it does. The purpose of this was to see if I can retain bluetooth which I'm happy to say I can and it sounds amazing. Navi voice works for now but that will soon be gone once I purchace a decent center and hook it to the MS8. I wonder though, what if I used one of the high level inputs to run the factory center from the factory amp to the MS8 so that Navi works???

I'm not really worried about losing the navi voice, I haven't had it on in over a year, but it would be really neat to retain all of the factory features just to say I did. Navi voice coming from all speakers would be interesting.

I'm going to run the HU to the MS8 eventually, bypassing the stock amp just to see if I'm missing anything. I just thought this would be interesting to those who want to retain all factory features.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

One more thing, the more I read the FAQ at DIY, the more I realize the MS8 is not just a tool for people that can't tune. It's a legit processor even for the pros. Most of the features some thing they're missing, they're really not missing, the MS8 just does a quicker job at the tuning and other adjustments are not needed. I'm talking the logic used for the type of filtering used. It seems like the MS8 does it's acoustic measurements and chooses the best solution to the specific set of problems, not just one solution to every set of problems. I still can't get over how well the bass integrates with the rest of the system. I can have it thumping me in the chest and feel the hair on my head vibrating yet it blends very well.

The "correct" sound still takes a while to get used to. I think the MS8 will have a harder time impressing friends who just listen for a few minutes. Everything is so balanced that the bass does not stand out, the tweeters don't scream, the midbass kick is not overly exaggerated and I think sometimes that's what impresses people, myself included because that's all we know. The more I listen to it, the more impressed I am. I admit when I first installed it, I was happy but I was wondering if my money might have been better spent somewhere else. Now I put the MS8 on the same level as the Dyn purchase. I adjust the EQ enough that it's not a boring flat SQ setup. It's very lively but still close enough to "real".

Last edited by I hate cars; 03-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
One more thing, the more I read the FAQ at DIY, the more I realize the MS8 is not just a tool for people that can't tune. It's a legit processor even for the pros. Most of the features some thing they're missing, they're really not missing, the MS8 just does a quicker job at the tuning and other adjustments are not needed. I'm talking the logic used for the type of filtering used. It seems like the MS8 does it's acoustic measurements and chooses the best solution to the specific set of problems, not just one solution to every set of problems. I still can't get over how well the bass integrates with the rest of the system. I can have it thumping me in the chest and feel the hair on my head vibrating yet it blends very well.

The "correct" sound still takes a while to get used to. I think the MS8 will have a harder time impressing friends who just listen for a few minutes. Everything is so balanced that the bass does not stand out, the tweeters don't scream, the midbass kick is not overly exaggerated and I think sometimes that's what impresses people, myself included because that's all we know. The more I listen to it, the more impressed I am. I admit when I first installed it, I was happy but I was wondering if my money might have been better spent somewhere else. Now I put the MS8 on the same level as the Dyn purchase. I adjust the EQ enough that it's not a boring flat SQ setup. It's very lively but still close enough to "real".
Everyone listens to music in a different way. Its all about how you like it. I like how eggyhustles describes how he listens to his music, thats how i like it.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Team Owner

Finally got it perfect. All it took was turning the gain on the tweeters up. I was turning up the high frequencies via the eq when what I should have done was turn the level up. It finally sounds amazing.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Glad you like it.