Terrible sub noise.. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrible sub noise.. Help!

I just finished installing a single JL 12w3v2 and a 450watt kenwood monoblock amp hooked up via a Stinger SLOC connected to the rear stock sub speaker leads. When the engine is running, I get a terrible rumbling noise generated I would assume from engine noise interference thru the sub. Head unit can be on or off, still same noise, with engine off I get no noise at all. All wiring is soldered and wrapped with electrical tape. Both amp and LOC are grounded to the chassis with a good connection. Ground points have been sanded to expose bare metal. When I unplug the RCA cables running to my amp the noise goes away completely. So the source of the noise has to be from the LOC based connection via the stock sub wiring. The RCA cable is of good quality and 3ft. long and not running anywhere near power wires. Any suggestions in regards on how to eliminate this source of noise, as I am familiar with car audio and have installed systems before. I have heard some low level noise which is tolerated but this is above low level. With the A/C on its even worse, constant humming which drives me nuts. Anyone experience this type of thing? Please let me know what options I have to eliminate and or reduce this noise... maybe a ground loop suppressor?? Please advise... :
Old 06-04-2007, 07:29 PM
9th Gear

forgot to mention....

Its not a new Type S... so no noise cancellation issues with microphone system.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 PM
9th Gear

Nobody has an idea? I've been searching the forums, but haven't found this exact problem...
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Get a Navone LOC and see what happens...
Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
9th Gear

Whats specifically better about a Navone LOC that would stop noise?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be a number of things: the size of the wire\insulation, were they are ran through the car, were the ground wire is bolted to the car etc... They make devices to filter engine noises but usually cuts out some of the sound as well. DeathtoToasters has a nice write up on installing. That's all that I can think of at the moment.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...4&page=1&pp=25
Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Lead Foot

damn sorry bro, you eliminated everything i could think of, i would try another amp to see if that's it. I have the type s and was going crazy until i found out it was the microphone. I believe other 3 gens have another mic in the front, don't know if that could be causing it or not

have you tried a GLI (ground loop isolator)
Old 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Magicucf
I just finished installing a single JL 12w3v2 and a 450watt kenwood monoblock amp hooked up via a Stinger SLOC connected to the rear stock sub speaker leads. When the engine is running, I get a terrible rumbling noise generated I would assume from engine noise interference thru the sub. Head unit can be on or off, still same noise, with engine off I get no noise at all. All wiring is soldered and wrapped with electrical tape. Both amp and LOC are grounded to the chassis with a good connection. Ground points have been sanded to expose bare metal. When I unplug the RCA cables running to my amp the noise goes away completely. So the source of the noise has to be from the LOC based connection via the stock sub wiring. The RCA cable is of good quality and 3ft. long and not running anywhere near power wires. Any suggestions in regards on how to eliminate this source of noise, as I am familiar with car audio and have installed systems before. I have heard some low level noise which is tolerated but this is above low level. With the A/C on its even worse, constant humming which drives me nuts. Anyone experience this type of thing? Please let me know what options I have to eliminate and or reduce this noise... maybe a ground loop suppressor?? Please advise... :
Hey whats up Im having the same problem as you but I have a brand new tl-s can you please help me out with this issue?

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by syn11
Hey whats up Im having the same problem as you but I have a brand new tl-s can you please help me out with this issue?

Thanks,
Carlos
It's almost certain you do NOT have the same problem. The key difference is you have a new TL-S and he doesn't. The new TL-S has an active noise cancelling system that generates sound intended to cancel out low frequency sounds in the passenger compartment. The problem for you is that is uses the subwoofer to generate the sound! When you change the sub, and add and amp, you basically amplify the intended noise cancelling sounds, effectively generating noise instead of cancelling it.

Search for noise cancellation on the forum, there have been several threads on the issue.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would say , check your ground and change your amp. RElocate your ground and get a differnt amp. The problem you have there is the altinator and charging system. The noise only happens when you actually have the car running. No mattter if the head uint is on/off. Get another amp is my first thing , then come back here for more troubleshooting.
The following users liked this post:
EATSLEEPRACE (08-10-2011)
Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, i forgot to mention, get a Capacitor it helps not messing your eletrical ssytem. You have to read carefully how to hook that ccap up. YOur altinator can't keep up your system . The more electric use in your car , more noise you will get. Even when you accelerate.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:35 PM
6th Gear

Hey I've dealt w/ many probs w similar symptoms. I've went through the same steps, strengthening grounds, clean connections.... the bottom line is if u unplug the rca's and the noise goes away, then the problem lies in the signal.

A ground loop can be deceiving in that when a head unit and amp are connected w rcas it generates a hum, because the grounds are slightly out of frequency. so when u unplug the rcas, it goes away. this dont sound like ur prob.

Are you using a line level converter on the factory wiring? If u have an ipod or some other music source, try using it to supply the audio signal and turn ur engine on. if theres no rumble, that will at least eliminate any ground, alternator, amp problems.
I believe ur prob is in the signal. gl
Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mike03a3
It's almost certain you do NOT have the same problem. The key difference is you have a new TL-S and he doesn't. The new TL-S has an active noise cancelling system that generates sound intended to cancel out low frequency sounds in the passenger compartment. The problem for you is that is uses the subwoofer to generate the sound! When you change the sub, and add and amp, you basically amplify the intended noise cancelling sounds, effectively generating noise instead of cancelling it.

Search for noise cancellation on the forum, there have been several threads on the issue.

Hey whats up yeah you were right it was the mics....I knew it wasnt my ground from the begginning but I did it over thinking it was that since I got it from the ground right by the fuel pump. I thought maybe it was interfering but doubted it....I redid the ground and messed up one of my amps which sucks cause I've had them for the last 10 years....Gotta love soundstream, now I only have one and it sux cause its not enough bass for me.....Well to get this over with yeah it was the mics which was what was giving the interference so I jus disconnected them and now it works like a charm...Thanks for telling me the keyword for the search cause I looked before I asked and didn't find it.....Thanks again......
Old 10-07-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

i have the same problem but if i open the door it goes away?? maybe hook p a switch trick it to think the door is open