Nav System Going Haywire

Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Nav System Going Haywire

As much as I would still buy the car with the Nav all over again, mine has been gradually 'loosing its mind' for about the last 6 months. About every other trip after entering an address or intersection, this thing is pointing me in directions that make no sense whatsoever. And it doesn't matter whether I set it for Direct Route or Maximize Freeways, etc.

For example, while my destination could be a mere few blocks after making the next right turn, the system will tell me to continue straight for an extra few blocks, then make a few turns to get there. The other night I was heading from western Bergen County, NJ to an address in Brooklyn. Traveling straight on Route 4 to the George Washington Bridge, the system tells me to get on to Route 17 North which would take me 100% out of the way. After bypassing that exit, the system corrects itself and continues me on the path I know to be correct. These things don't happen all the time, but often enough for me to be concerned.

Is there a feature in the diag menu when I press Map, Menu, and Cancel simultaneously to calibrate it, or do I have to take it into the dealer?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Seems like you might just need to upgrade the navi DVD. What version are you running? If you haven't updated your DVD since you've purchased the car, I would recommend doing that. If you know another TL owner with a newer DVD (for you it has to be a 3.X version), you have the ability to try it out before purchasing.

I wouldn't try calibrating anything in the diagnosis menu. Safest bet is the dealer if you want to tamper with that.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 PM
RamRod FD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a bit of information that I got the other day... If you got your windows tinted recently some tints have a metal film in them, that could have a big part in why your navi isn't working properly. If you didn't tint them, ignore this... sorry. Do what the other guys are tellin ya.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

No tinting.

Carz only been doin this for about the last 6 months or so, and on routes with roads that haven't changed in decades. I doubt it's the DVD. Service appointment with the dealer next Monday.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I know the problem... it's all the toxic fumes in Jersey...

Seriously, My system goes crazy when I hit the intersection between I-95 and I-80 heading towards the NJ Turnpike tolls... In North New Jersey... Have you tried setting it from Direct route to Easy Route or vise versa... it might help... the system tends to send you through verified roads as much as possible (darker lines on the street maps)...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
I know the problem... it's all the toxic fumes in Jersey...
They don't call New Jersey THE ARMPIT OF THE NATION fa nuttin!

Easy, Direct, etc. settings don't matter. When you get steered onto a road that you know would take you 100% out of the way in an area you're overwhelimngly familiar with, something ain't right.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Carz only been doin this for about the last 6 months or so, and on routes with roads that haven't changed in decades. I doubt it's the DVD.
The reasoning behind a DVD update, is that (I hope) they include user submitted corrections with each DVD update. Roads that have existed for decades may still need corrections (as in your case).

Since you are heading to the dealer, try asking them if you can take a test run with a newer DVD to see if that fixes the problem. Worth a try before they start hacking apart your interior to run diagnostics on the hardware.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had trouble with my 06 nav. Today, I drove from the Catskill to mid-town of New York City. Taking I-87 all the way would take me into the Major Deegan, then cross the Willis Ave Bridge and down the FDR. Instead, the nav routed me toward White Plains and eastward towards the Hutch. I knew that route would have taken me out of my way. So, I turned around and drove south using the Taconic State Pkwy, Sprain Brook Pkwy and Bronx River Pkway combination instead.

Though the distance I actually drove was longer than the direct I-87 route, I got home 30 minutes faster my friend, who took the I-87 and ended up stranded in traffic. So, the nav gave me a bad taste in the mouth today. If I didn't know my ways around, I would have spent at least an extra 35 minutes on the road following the nav's stupid instructions.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by kenny5
I also had trouble with my 06 nav. Today, I drove from the Catskill to mid-town of New York City. Taking I-87 all the way would take me into the Major Deegan, then cross the Willis Ave Bridge and down the FDR. Instead, the nav routed me toward White Plains and eastward towards the Hutch. I knew that route would have taken me out of my way. So, I turned around and drove south using the Taconic State Pkwy, Sprain Brook Pkwy and Bronx River Pkway combination instead.

Though the distance I actually drove was longer than the direct I-87 route, I got home 30 minutes faster my friend, who took the I-87 and ended up stranded in traffic. So, the nav gave me a bad taste in the mouth today. If I didn't know my ways around, I would have spent at least an extra 35 minutes on the road following the nav's stupid instructions.
There it is dude! That's it!

Coming down to NYC from the Catskills, the most direct route would be to get off I-87 onto Rt. 17 (Exit 15) South through NJ to Route 4 to the George Washington Bridge.