Suggestions for New Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:52 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for New Speakers

My passenger door speaker is sounding really bad especially at higher volume and certain frequencies. It isn't dead yet, but might as well be. Anyone on here with experience in replacing the TL's speakers: What is your set-up/ what do you recommend? I am considering replacing the two door speakers, two tweeters, and center speaker as well, but do not necessarily have to. I would even be okay with getting OEM speakers and calling it a day.

I want the best bang for your buck. No explicit budget, but don't want to lavishly spend. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

(P.S. - I have researched Crutchfield, but not really sure what combination of speakers to go with if I replace everything in the front of the car (easiest to modify). Really just want to here people's opinions on their set-ups)
Old 07-15-2016, 02:53 PM
7th Gear

Hear* people's opinions.... sorry for the typo
Old 07-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
are you open to an aftermarket amp for the speakers? if so i highly highly recommend image dynamics ctx65cs. great sound for a great price.

i also have a set of jbl front components that can probably work with the oem amp if you're interested in them (complete plug and play speakers and tweeters). i got them to replace my oem ones and then i found a great deal on the ID speakers so i switched them out.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:40 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by sockr1
are you open to an aftermarket amp for the speakers? if so i highly highly recommend image dynamics ctx65cs. great sound for a great price.

i also have a set of jbl front components that can probably work with the oem amp if you're interested in them (complete plug and play speakers and tweeters). i got them to replace my oem ones and then i found a great deal on the ID speakers so i switched them out.
I am open to an aftermarket amp - the price on the ID isn't too bad for what's included. Were they easy to install or did you pay someone to install them?

Also, I am interested in your JBL components. Can you tell me more about them?
Old 07-15-2016, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GMAN95
I am open to an aftermarket amp - the price on the ID isn't too bad for what's included. Were they easy to install or did you pay someone to install them?

Also, I am interested in your JBL components. Can you tell me more about them?
i installed all the speakers myself and did all the audio work myself (first audio project i've ever done). they were more complicated than the JBL. i had to buy 3/4" spacers and trim out some of the door metal so that the speakers would fit. i also added modeling clay around the perimeter for better sound containment. for the tweeters, i removed the actual oem tweeter and cut a hole in the oem grill and secured the new tweeters in the oem grill so it looks pretty much like oem. overall they are great speakers but are power hungry and need an aftermarket amp.

jbl: they are jbl gto608c components and are pretty much plug and play (just some minor work to make tweeters look oem but really easy...basically glue the tweeters on the underside of the oem grill). i've thought about running these as my rear speakers but don't feel like doing all that work again haha

i can also include plug and play adapters to plug into the door connectors (usually $5) and i can also include my modified oem white plastic "buckets" to make them plug and play in the doors. if not, no worries! just trying to help you out and give you options.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 AM
7th Gear

considering this too as mine might be going out soon.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I just had a set of JBL GX600C component speakers put in my car. They were like $120 at Best Buy (can probably find them a little cheaper on Amazon) and they sound pretty good! They were plug and play, so no significant modifications needed. The sound you get from these are very balanced, no harsh highs or anything like that. I may post a review on them in the coming days for these, so people can get an idea of what to expect with aftermarket speakers on the factory amp.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 PM
10th Gear

Is there a max mounting depth?

I was looking at Crutchfield.Com and they said there's only one pair of speakers that would fit my 08 TL. Is there max mounting depth or that's just the only speaker they have that would fit?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalBoy
I was looking at Crutchfield.Com and they said there's only one pair of speakers that would fit my 08 TL. Is there max mounting depth or that's just the only speaker they have that would fit?
When I was first shopping for speakers I checked Crutchfield and thought the same. Most 6.5" component speakers should fit with little to no modification. If you plan to run the speakers without an aftermarket amp make sure they are rated at 2 ohms, if they're 4 ohms volume will be lost.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SoCalBoy
there are a few that fit into the oem locations. i know the JBL gto608c's fit in the stock location and they have a 2 1/16" mounting depth. Anything deeper than that and you may need spacers.