Secrets of the Navi software

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:39 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PulpFiction
Opinions?
My opinion is that this would be a poor way to solve the Nag screen. If there were ever a problem with the Navi and the dealer opened it up and found such a mod to the system, there goes your warranty.

The nice thing about the software mods via boot disc is that you can always put the OEM DVD back in and undo any changes.

-phil
Old 06-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok I am no programmer and certainly did not have any idea what ya'll are talking about. Can someone create a disk and sell it to us (Layman/Morons) so we can just load the CD and include the trip meter to our navi?

Sincerely
"The Accountant"
Old 06-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Advanced

i wouldnt mind doing a AIM file transfer of the files to burn. the screenmod is ultra easy and anyone can do it.

The trip computer , although nice. for me negated a few of the voice commands of the TL.

Since the trip computer functions are essentially already available. I decided not to use it.

PM me and I can figure out how to get it to you. Basically if you do it right. One disc can allow you to go back and forth to both modes. But you need to take the navi dvd in and out every time.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m new here even though I’ve owned my TL for almost 1 year. I’ve read this thread with great interest and about 2 weeks ago I gave the TSX/TL bin swap a try. I was wondering if anyone else who has done this swap has noticed any discrepancies between the TL’s trip computer and the TSX navi based trip computer. I noticed after the first day that the elapsed timer in the TL trip computer and TSX navi based E/T were off by about 2 minutes. After almost 2 weeks the difference has grown to 28 minutes with the TL being ahead of the TSX navi based E/T. I’m sure Einstein would be interested to know that time passes slower in the TSX than in TL! I’ve also noticed that the estimated range differs between the TL and TSX navi trip computer, which I sort of expected, but that the miles driven and the average MPG are right on. I’d be interested in hearing what others have experienced and any thoughts on the elapsed timer differences.

Bill : )
Old 06-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Team Anthracite Member

SCADAczar,

You're saying the trip computer from the TSX works in the TL (with minor problems) but otherwise the .bin from the TSX is perfectly fine in the TL? All voice functions and menus work? Why don't they have the trip computer in the TL .bin???? I don't get it! I wanna try that swap. Was it hard? Did it work first try?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Well so far so good. I understand from what I've read in this thread that not all voice commands work and the TSX doesn't have the same on screen audio controls but for how I use the system I haven't seen anything that will make me swap it back to the TL bin. I've tried a short trip or two just to check the voice guidance and it worked OK. I'm taking the car to South Carolina this week so that'll be a true test of the compatibility.

I didn't have any troubles doing the swap, I just followed the detailed instructions on page 4 of this thread. I did have a brief moment of panic when the Navi screen put up the message "Do not shut off the car during this process" or something to that effect, but then I just figured it's like any other computer doing a software upgrade.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Ah well, I gotta try that then. Kinda sucks to lose the audio controls, but most of the time, I just look at the smaller screen above the navi screen anyway.

I wonder why they got rid of that in the TSX yet added the Trip Computer. SO WEIRD.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

Cool

These are posts of mine from another board:

Started work on TL with complete understanding of software navigation and external OS workings. I also took pictures of every menu and submenu to give everyone a clear understanding of system navigation. I actually found one more sub-menu that no one else found listing program Exceptions (within History hold down menu for 5 secs). Anyone else finding any other system menus I am missing would be of great help. Here is the link to few the software photos. If you want a ZIP file of the photos PM me and I will send you the link.

Kodak PhotoShare

Slowly at work with the TL system. Took apart the Navigation System in the trunk to get a better idea of its inner workings. Took detailed, high-resolution, pictures with my digital camera. All component serial numbers and ID's are visible. I also took pictures while I was taking it apart to show everyone each step along the way. I put it back together and everything is working perfectly. The DVD player is standard but underneath player is the guts of the system. TL file name clearly printed on Front Panel PCB. Here is the link to the hardware photos. If you want a ZIP file of the photos PM me and I will send you the link.

Acura TL Hardware Photos
Old 06-20-2005, 02:02 AM
Intermediate

..Maybe I'm dense, but where did you get that "developers" screen, with the ability to change map colors, etc?? I've figured I've been through all the diag mode menus, and I haven't seen that one yet..

Also, I didn't see the GPS extra detail screen.. On the sat status screen, hold down "menu" for a few seconds again, and you'll get the GPS determined speed, elev, etc. and detailed status for each satellite.

Originally Posted by Merlin777
These are posts of mine from another board:

Started work on TL with complete understanding of software navigation and external OS workings. I also took pictures of every menu and submenu to give everyone a clear understanding of system navigation. I actually found one more sub-menu that no one else found listing program Exceptions (within History hold down menu for 5 secs). Anyone else finding any other system menus I am missing would be of great help. Here is the link to few the software photos. If you want a ZIP file of the photos PM me and I will send you the link.

Kodak PhotoShare

Slowly at work with the TL system. Took apart the Navigation System in the trunk to get a better idea of its inner workings. Took detailed, high-resolution, pictures with my digital camera. All component serial numbers and ID's are visible. I also took pictures while I was taking it apart to show everyone each step along the way. I put it back together and everything is working perfectly. The DVD player is standard but underneath player is the guts of the system. TL file name clearly printed on Front Panel PCB. Here is the link to the hardware photos. If you want a ZIP file of the photos PM me and I will send you the link.

Acura TL Hardware Photos
Old 06-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zeuser
Get the console version of the navidump

This will allow you to extract the .BIN files into a folder. You'll have a load of files, lik .DLLs and .EXEs

Edit Navi.exe and go looking for the typical text shown on the nag screen. Then simply change that text to whatever you want.

Same can be done for buttons an other various text displays on the navi.
Ok I downloaded the console version but I cant get it to open up?? The command prompt screen pops up for like 2 secs then goes away? How can I get it to stay open?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Anybody still working on this?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:56 AM
8th Gear

I haven't really played with this in a couple weeks, but I'm still very interested in decompiling the Nav and figuring it out.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Advanced

So what exactly do we need to get this going? Any specific software that one of us might be able to get a hold of?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Instructor

ZEUSER: Someone on the Civic site pointed out that Bysin's program did not account for a large enough number of modules - could this be why you cannot get to these other files?

Any progress?
Originally Posted by Zeuser
SHIT!

Can.dll seems to be the file that enables/disables certain features. It's slightly different on the TL than it is on the TSX.

Problem is.... bysin's dumpnavi won't allow you to import can.dll , sra.dll, srd.dll and a few more. I now know why. He's reading a certain area in the .BIN files that has a list of files he can import.

Man... this is when you find reverse-engineering hackers vs. game console hackers. Bysin is a game console hacker. I'm afraid bysin's tool just won't cut it in the long run. It's ok for now, like swapping back.bmp, .pcm files and a few more but in the long run, it won't give us the power to really hack this thing; such as adding new HPC SH-4 apps to the .BIN files.

I knew something was up when I saw that the files have to be the same length. A real program that will decompress and recompress an archive won't have these types of restrictions. Bysin's app is a good start but it's far from being a proper hacking tool for the navi software.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 AM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Just to let you guys in on something. About a few years ago, when the Dreamcast was first released nobody thought it could be hacked UNTIL some game hackers started messing around with the windows CE operating system inside the Dreamcast. Within 1 year, we we're using the Dreamcast hardware (without modifying it at all) to play every type of movie, music, and game. We even had linux running on the Dreamcast at one point, hell not to mention all the SNES, NES, etc roms we could play on it.

That being said, it's more thank likely that the TL has some sort of core processor running (mind you it's most likely less powerfull then the said above dreamcast) which someone has access to it's development kit. This is what we need, the development kit is what holds the answers to all our questions. Imagine running XP on the navi screen? If it can run a modified version of CE it can run a lite version of XP.

Software mods are always the way to go, when oyu start messing with the hardware then things get sketchy.

Im all up for this hack, i just hope someone with enough knowlodge and resources can put some time and effort into it - which we would all im sure appreciate.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Hey everybody, after tinkering with my navi for awhile, I finally figured out how to change the voice from my silicon female to my girlfriends voice (yes, it can be done and believe it or not, the steps are simple). What I did was turn off the voice guidance on the navi. After that I took a long drive with my girlfriend in the passenger seat. I started to go an alternate route from what I usually take to see how the "new system" would work, almost immediately my gf was telling me:
"You were suppossed to make that left."
"Where the hell are you going?"
"Where the hell are we?"
"Isn't it suppossed to be the other way?"
and many more responses. After awhile though, this got a little tiresome and annoying. In addition, it seemed to be a little less effective and I had to revert back to the stock navi.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:36 AM
5th Gear

Update DVD Maps

Guys, is there anyway you can create a copy of the Nav system DVD. I refuse to pay 280 bucks to get the latest maps from Acura - so heres what I'm thinking. The next time I take my car in for service and get a loaner (which are generally new), somehow make a copy of its Nav DVD and pop the copy into my Nav system when I get it back. Voila, all new maps and POIs. While testing this theory on my own Nav DVD, I realized that it holds more than 6.5 GB of data, which obviously can't be burnt onto a normal 4.7 GB DVD-RW... So what now??? While forcing the software to write the data onto a DVD, it kept puking out the empty DVD saying the data is not recordable onto this type of DVD. Should mention, I have a 2004 TL, and the Nav DVD's database is from July 03. Any help would be appreciated - Jai
Old 05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Sec's Expert

Originally Posted by jai1234
Guys, is there anyway you can create a copy of the Nav system DVD. I refuse to pay 280 bucks to get the latest maps from Acura - so heres what I'm thinking. The next time I take my car in for service and get a loaner (which are generally new), somehow make a copy of its Nav DVD and pop the copy into my Nav system when I get it back. Voila, all new maps and POIs. While testing this theory on my own Nav DVD, I realized that it holds more than 6.5 GB of data, which obviously can't be burnt onto a normal 4.7 GB DVD-RW... So what now??? While forcing the software to write the data onto a DVD, it kept puking out the empty DVD saying the data is not recordable onto this type of DVD. Should mention, I have a 2004 TL, and the Nav DVD's database is from July 03. Any help would be appreciated - Jai

What you are referring to is software piracy. I don't think that is allowed here.

Steve
Old 05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by streese
What you are referring to is software piracy. I don't think that is allowed here.

Steve
True, it is piracy but people copy music and movies regardless.

Hmmm....double-layer DVD and ANYDVD program to remove copy protection. It's possible!

It works for Movie DVD's (although the data is compressed to fit on 4.7 GB disk). It should work for Navigation DVD as long as you use double-layer DVD (9.4 GB).
Old 05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
5th Gear

Old 05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
5th Gear

Well the issue is that the original DVD is not a double sided one (Printed with graphics on one side), so I doubt the Navi reader will be able to read the info on 'wrong' side (short of of course constantly switching the sides... ;-))

Did some google searches and no one seems to have heard of a single side DVD with more cap that 4.7 GB... Wonder if this is Alpine technology that they're not willing to share (highly doubt it!!!)
Old 05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

Well the issue is that the original DVD is not a double sided one (Printed with graphics on one side), so I doubt the Navi reader will be able to read the info on 'wrong' side (short of of course constantly switching the sides... ;-))

Did some google searches and no one seems to have heard of a single side DVD with more cap that 4.7 GB... Wonder if this is Alpine technology that they're not willing to share (highly doubt it!!!)
Jai,

Not double sided...double layered (or dual layered). When you rent or buy a movie DVD, it is a double layered DVD (9.4 GB). PC's and DVD players can read double layer DVD's. Only a few years ago have we been able to write to blank double layer DVD's. The DVD in the nav unit in the trunk of the car is double layered. The problem might be finding the right brand double layer DVD that once burned, the nav unit in the trunk will read it.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:56 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Gdog
Jai,

Not double sided...double layered (or dual layered). When you rent or buy a movie DVD, it is a double layered DVD (9.4 GB). PC's and DVD players can read double layer DVD's. Only a few years ago have we been able to write to blank double layer DVD's. The DVD in the nav unit in the trunk of the car is double layered. The problem might be finding the right brand double layer DVD that once burned, the nav unit in the trunk will read it.

Perfect, that gives me a starting point... Thanks man!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by tizo
1. Open your trunk and find the DVD player attached to
the navigation system.

2. Push down the front plate and eject the Navigation
DVD-ROM.

3. Place the DVD in your computer and copy all 9 BIN
files onto your hard drive, this includes:

***notice the BN2HH12C.BIN (Acura TL Nav file) is 13,322 KB and both the
BN2HH120.BIN (Honda Accord Nav file) and BN2HN18B.BIN (Acura TSX Nav file)
are 13,352 KB... this would explain why the Accord and Tsx have the A/C
Controls Display and Trip Meter.

---Since the TL Nav will only load the BN2HH12C.BIN, the TSX Nav file will have
to be renamed BN2HH12C.BIN and the TL Nav file renamed to the TSX file.

4. Right-click BN2HN18B.BIN and rename the file 001.BIN (or any other name
besides one that is on the disk), this is important for swapping file names.

5. Right-click BN2HH12C.BIN and rename it, BN2HN18B.BIN

6. Vice-versa, rename 001.BIN (previously the BN2HN18B.BIN) to BN2HH12C.BIN

7. Copy all BIN files (9 in total) to a blank CD or DVD.

8. Insert the original navigation DVD back into the
DVD-ROM in your car.

9. Start the car normally, and at the main navigation
screen hold Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel for 5
seconds once again.

10. Hit the "Version" button on the touch screen once
again.

11. Take the origional navigation DVD out of the car,
and replace it with the CD/DVD you just created.

12. Hit the "DISK LOAD" button on the Version screen,
then run back and close the front plate on the
DVD drive.

13. It should take about 20 seconds for your car to
load the new BIN and reboot.

14. Once that happens, take out your burned CD/DVD and put back the
original navigation DVD.

A little late to join the conversation, but how in the world can I get my hands on a TSX BIN file... None of my neighbors/friends have one. Can anyone post it on the web somplace??? Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Cruisin'

alright guys,

after about 3 hours of reading all the posts on this site related to hacking the navi. this is wat i was able to accomplish.

i'm a fan of hellsing if your wondering

yea, i get crappy MPG.

thanks again to everyone on this site, the trip computer is definetly worth the risk
Old 05-13-2006, 11:48 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Soul_zero
yea, i get crappy MPG.
Damn! U're not kidding!

I thought I was bad @ 19...
Old 05-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Racer

I dont think thats your real mpg. You loaded the TSX files didnt you? I think the system thinks your car is a tsx and trying to calculate the mpg using tsx numbers. How's the mpg compare to the mpg in your MID? I thought the TSX trip thing would be cool, but decided to not do it cuz its inaccurate therefore worthless. You're just watching usless numbers jumping up and down. Also, I believe you lose a few features that the TL system has which the TSX does not.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Cruisin'

I loaded the Accord files, the MPG is accurate with my MID. however its the Range that is inaccurate. the range on my MID reads 50+ gallons over the trip computer on the navi.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
using nero corrupts .bin files that the NAVi uses, kind of like PS2 games. For PS2 games, I used "Ashampoo Burning Studio 6" which can burn .bin files on to the DVD, if anyone needs it, just PM me and i can get u the full version for free.

Also to burn the .bin files, go to Create?burn disk images, then go to create disk image from project and make it. The go back to create/burn disk images and click on Burn/CD/DVD.Blu-Ray disk from disk image. Try it, it should work, it works with my PS2...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally posted by Soul_zero
I loaded the Accord files, the MPG is accurate with my MID. however its the Range that is inaccurate. the range on my MID reads 50+ gallons over the trip computer on the navi.
You can adjust the NAVI displays for the range.

Hold down the "Magic 3 Buttons" to enter diagnostic mode. Select "Functional Setup" (or something like that, it starts with functional), then "Trip Computer", then hold down Menu and Viola! You can adjust what is displayed for the range and make them match!

Brian
Old 07-22-2006, 05:59 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Soul_zero
alright guys,

after about 3 hours of reading all the posts on this site related to hacking the navi. this is wat i was able to accomplish.

yea, i get crappy MPG.

thanks again to everyone on this site, the trip computer is definetly worth the risk
Once upon a trme, my system SELF downloaded and installed the Honda nav system and I had those very screens. But I lost some of my audio adjustments and my dash clock would not adjust for daylight savings. I also noticed the instantaneous MPG worked, but lagged dramatically. Does everything else still work?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:57 PM
My Daily Driver

OK, I followed all the instructions, changed the file names, and I still cant get the trip computer and climate controls.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-26-2006, 11:57 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by streese

Steve
Piracy?

What do you call $185 + tax + shipping?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Alright DMZ. That comment was left there a little over 2 months ago.

Lets stay on topic and stick to the reason why this thread is here.

Anyone have any suggestions to help out johnny--2k?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 AM
My Daily Driver

thanks datmrman.... I am just mildly retarded and realized that I have an 05 not 04 so i needed to change the 401 and 404 files not the 12 and 18 files. Got it now and love it! Best mod I've done!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

Can I.......

Take the TSX disk and run my GPS off of it? Will my nav work?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Advanced

A little late to join the conversation, but how in the world can I get my hands on a TSX BIN file... None of my neighbors/friends have one. Can anyone post it on the web somplace??? Any help would be appreciated!!!

I have an 05 ody and this NAV disk is white, it does not have any of the SH**.bin files. Any ides which files to use for the 05 ody ?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Instructor

hey. these navi secrets, how do you do them?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Instructor

after 2 hours of reading this thread words by words, i gotta thank you all intellegent people (compare to my 17 yrs lack of knowledge)
but still...becuz of my lack of knowledge, i have no idea what you guys are talking about. After reading and reading, i don't even have time to go eat my dinner cuz it's just so interesting..
but i'm still confused
i dont' want the trip-computer cuz people are saying it's inaccurate
i would only want to have the A/C screen and my own start-up background screen..
(as far as i know, the A/C screen needs to be done WITH the trip computer,right?)
so....how do you change the background picture?
thank you all for your intelligence, i highly appreciate it like all others too
thanks
(i have 2004 Canadian TL with navi/)
Old 08-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Instructor

btw...how do you get into the diagnostic screen?
(sorry for asking so much questions..)

Quick Reply: Secrets of the Navi software