Secrets of the Navi software

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iTISTIC
I agree w/ your stance about leaving the tape player in, but there's no need to knock anyone in the 20-30 age group that also happens to enjoy their TL.
I'm not knocking the entire 20-30 age group, just the ones who want to pull my tape deck!

BTW, I actually hardly use it, most of my listening in the car is DVD-As & DTS discs, but I'd hate for it to not be there.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So, could we stick to the navi secret topic rather than the cassette player?

If you all have such opinions about the tape player then create a new thread for it lol...

I'm just saying this because it's unfair to zeuser who has started this thread with the hope that people would chime in with their comments regarding their navi secrets, thoughts and opinions...
Old 05-10-2005, 01:30 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ What he said. Take the tape vs. MP3 discussions to another thread.

What we're doing in this thread is trying to take the next step in hacking the navi system. Bysin has found how to decompress the .BIN files and replace the back.BMP. He also found how to bypass the nag screen on the TSX.

What we're trying to do here is figure out some other stuff specifically for the TL. Such as getting the trip computer to work, bypassing the nag and other things.

Obviously, I'm still working on it. But anyone else is welcome to join in and report their findings. But for gods sake people: STAY ON TOPIC.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:33 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by justinkwaugh
I may be able to help out here as well. I have some experience reverse engineering various softwares, so I'll take a look at this stuff when I remember to actually bring my dvd in from my car
I just moved all the files of the DVD onto my dev computer. And now I do my research there and leave the DVD in car where it belongs.

I'm going to have to go and get a few more CD-Rs though. Anybody try it with a CD-RW yet?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Instructor

I have heard that CD-RWs do work, but have not tried yet for myself.

Is there any possibility that doing anything with this software could possibly mess up the Navi in the car when we attempt to load it? I am also a developer and would start messing with it but am afaid of messing something up and having to bring it back to the dealer. Will we always be able to reload with the stock navi disc?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:46 PM
TL hacker

Messin with the navi software is risky. If you serisously mess up you'll have to unplug the ground from the battery for a good 30 seconds. Then the navi should startup in its factory mode (i.e.: reload from the factory DVD disc).

I haven't messed up yet so I haven't had to do it. But if you do, you better be aware that you'll lose your radio presets, seat memory presets, personal addresses in the navi, phone book on the HFL etc. Basically, you'll have to restart as if you just got the car from the factory. You may even have to punch inthe security code to unlock the radio.

PS: I'd love to have a navi system in my workshop just so I can hack around with it. If only I could afford to go and buy all the parts and lay them out on my workbench. *sigh*
Old 05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
TL hacker

Just for reference: I'm currently hacking around the BN2HH12C.BIN file. Which is the one my navi said it was loading. Is anyone else using a different file? I just want to know.

Oh and BTW, seems the TSX guys are hacking BN2HN18B.BIN , just for reference if anyone is interested.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
I've been using the Calendar app as a notepad, myself. When someone gives me a phone number, or something I need to write down, I just pick the current day in the calendar and type it in. Problem is I can only type 2 lines per day ;( Would be nicer if there was a "notepad" app as well. Somebody will figure this out. I'm a programmer, but am afraid of messing up my navi and having to bring it to the dealer. I would've already started messing with it if I didn't hear of others having problems in this thread.

Don't know how I missed this post but tha's also a great idea! A notepad app!

Just imagine the info screen:

1 - Voice command help
2 - Trip computer
3 - Calendar
4 - Calculator
5 - Climate control
6 - Phone dialer
7 - Notepad

6 & 7 would be band new apps obviously. The other ones are already included inthe .BIN file, just not shown on the menu yet.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink STAY ON TOPIC, Please...

Originally Posted by Jinen
So, could we stick to the navi secret topic rather than the cassette player?

If you all have such opinions about the tape player then create a new thread for it lol...

I'm just saying this because it's unfair to zeuser who has started this thread with the hope that people would chime in with their comments regarding their navi secrets, thoughts and opinions...
Originally Posted by Zeuser
^ What he said. Take the tape vs. MP3 discussions to another thread.

What we're doing in this thread is trying to take the next step in hacking the navi system. Bysin has found how to decompress the .BIN files and replace the back.BMP. He also found how to bypass the nag screen on the TSX.

What we're trying to do here is figure out some other stuff specifically for the TL. Such as getting the trip computer to work, bypassing the nag and other things.

Obviously, I'm still working on it. But anyone else is welcome to join in and report their findings. But for gods sake people: STAY ON TOPIC.

I'll make sure this... Thanks guys.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for reference: I'm currently hacking around the BN2HH12C.BIN file. Which is the one my navi said it was loading. Is anyone else using a different file? I just want to know.

Oh and BTW, seems the TSX guys are hacking BN2HN18B.BIN , just for reference if anyone is interested.

my 05 TL loads up BNHH401A.BIN
Old 05-10-2005, 04:20 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Hey, Zeuser, I hope you can pull this trick! It seems tha t many people tried and failed to hack the Navi. I wish I had more than a passing knowledge of programming...
Old 05-10-2005, 04:26 PM

edit to my earlier post, i was able to get my car to have the tripcomputer screen

all i did was rename BN2HH120.BIN to BN2HH12c.bin and rename BN2HH12c.bin to BN2HH120.BIN and load it in, works just like the other posts say, not perfectly but works
Old 05-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Troublemaker

i think the tape player is not obsolete. although i wish we had MP3 capability since we have other formats like dvd-a and dts capability.

The tape player has come in use. It can function as an auxiliary sound input with an adapter, either for an ipod or dvd player (since current fm modulators dont seem to be working)
Old 05-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Advanced

rbt351 thats helpful info I had shelved for a while. I too have a 05tl that loads bnhh401a.bin. I assumed that was the file to edit and use since thats the file that when the back.bmp is changed the welcome screen changes respectively.

I had tried transplanting multiple TripComputer.exe like Zeuser. With no effect. What im not clear on is how changing that older file effects what loads, unless it looks at all of them.
I agree Zeuser its a config or a dll file yet to be found. Check my prior posts.

For the record im 32 , thanks for your support on my prior posts.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Advanced

We should share info.

Zeuser i have tons of cdr , for the record the i happen to have the black and silver/silver types that both work. Also i used nero and since the files only take up about 100 megs you can theoritcally make about 5 or more re burns, the old data will be lost. I did it 3 times on the same disc and it took it fine. A multilsession disk. no special settings just used the disc again
Old 05-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
phone dialer is very possible....last night i was sitting in my car fiddling around with some of the cool shit on the navi and trying to possibly find something that i missed *guilty* but i never realized that you can do an address book with your USER 1 profile and add address and when it comes to adding the phone number of the place, you have the phone key pad which if able to punch in numbers would be amazing...guys please do ur best...if i could i would help but im not a programmer...
Old 05-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Advanced

UPDATE ,

tried swap of bn2hh120 to bn2hh12c no go, no trip computer, no noticeable change. i have a 2005 tl that uses bnhh401a, i figured i would have to swap the WHOLE honda profile (bn2hh120) rename it ro bnhh401a, which my car is looking for. It indirectly shows that its not the TripComputer file but the whole bin, likely a config file in the honda bin that enables it. trannplanting one file doesnt seem to work for tripcomputer

also CD RW works confirmed it with a new BMP
Old 05-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

we are all depending on you guys g'luck and let us know =)
Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by tommyz
UPDATE ,

tried swap of bn2hh120 to bn2hh12c no go, no trip computer, no noticeable change. i have a 2005 tl that uses bnhh401a, i figured i would have to swap the WHOLE honda profile (bn2hh120) rename it ro bnhh401a, which my car is looking for. It indirectly shows that its not the TripComputer file but the whole bin, likely a config file in the honda bin that enables it. trannplanting one file doesnt seem to work for tripcomputer

also CD RW works confirmed it with a new BMP
not sure why it didn't work on your TL and it did on mine

all i did was rename the 2 files reloaded the software and it changed the BMP to a honda file and i got the trip computer, plus the temp showing on the screen
Old 05-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Advanced

i didnt exchange the file, i mearly renamed the files the honda xxx120--->xxxx12c , but i didnt invert them. i will try that

does the voice commands work ok?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:03 PM

i didnt exchange the file, i mearly renamed the files the honda xxx120--->xxxx12c , but i didnt invert them. i will try that

all i did was rename them too

yes the few voice commands that i use do work, the only thing that definetly doesn't is that you can not dial from the navi screen. that option is gone
Old 05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Cruisin'

Can you list the files that you rename? Thanks I have 05 TL
Old 05-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Cruisin'

Can you list the files that you rename/replace? My use the BNHH401A.BIN.

I have 05 TL
Old 05-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rbf351
not sure why it didn't work on your TL and it did on mine

all i did was rename the 2 files reloaded the software and it changed the BMP to a honda file and i got the trip computer, plus the temp showing on the screen
My 05 TL used BNHH401A.BIN. Can you tell me what you rename/replace?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 11:19 PM
TL hacker

More news:

- It's defintely a WinCE based system. And it's defintely an SH-4 processor
- I've got some WinCE tools but they're not working with these files. I'm still searching for the right SDK to reverse engineer this thing
- I've got a "contact" at a certain well known firm that might be able to help me get the right tools.

Bysin used Dreamcast tools. And while this allows you to disassemble the executeables, they're not exactly great tools to work with for WinCE based executeables.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
TL hacker

So... what we know so far about the .BIN files:

BNHH401A.BIN = 2005 Acura TL
BN2HH12C.BIN = 2004 Acura TL
BN2HN120.BIN = 2003-2004 Honda Accord (US Model)
BN2HN18B.BIN = 2004 Acura TSX

I'll be running compares of the extracted files to see which files are common across all navis and which ones are specific to each. It may be possible to mix and match several files from different navi systems to create a new "hybrid" navi .BIN file.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

This is terrific! While I would like to create a custom boot graphic for my navi, it would only be after I found a bunch of free time. But, if I could get that trip computer working, I'd find some time ASAP.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Not true. I loaded a back and had the org navi disc in and I was playing around in the setup screen and I hit the load software button and it all came back without removing the battery.

Messin with the navi software is risky. If you serisously mess up you'll have to unplug the ground from the battery for a good 30 seconds. Then the navi should startup in its factory mode (i.e.: reload from the factory DVD disc).
Old 05-10-2005, 11:55 PM
TL hacker

That's assuming you can get to the diagnostic menu. If that fails then you're left with the disconnect battery method.

But yeah, I'd try a reload of the factory DVD from the diagnostic menu first.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by justinkwaugh
I may be able to help out here as well. I have some experience reverse engineering various softwares, so I'll take a look at this stuff when I remember to actually bring my dvd in from my car
Unfortunately I do not have the advanced version of IDA which is needed for SH-4 support. I guess I will have to look at some of the dreamcast tools.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Advanced

More news:

- It's defintely a WinCE based system. And it's defintely an SH-4 processor
- I've got some WinCE tools but they're not working with these files. I'm still searching for the right SDK to reverse engineer this thing
- I've got a "contact" at a certain well known firm that might be able to help me get the right tools.

Bysin used Dreamcast tools. And while this allows you to disassemble the executeables, they're not exactly great tools to work with for WinCE based executeables.
Hey, I still have a copy of the Dreamcast MP3 player (DCMP3.EXE). Since the processor is the same, what do you think are the odds of getting this to run on the TL Nav system?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:20 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Navi only has mono audio output to the stereo system, so it will not become a good mp3 player, even with successful software hack.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:13 PM
TL hacker

That's true but the navi system can output to the speakers. We know the "beep", when you press the voice command button, comes from the navi's built-in speaker. But the voice navigation, a.k.a. silicon sally, is ouput to the front speakers.

The questions is: is the navi system sending the sound to the speakers or is the voice chip hardwired to the sound system? If it's hardwired then we can't do shit. But if it isn't, i may be possible to get a dreamcast MP3 player to work.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. We're still discovering how this system works, software wise, and how we can hack certain features. We're a long way from adding new applications to the navi.

I'm currently trying t ofind the proper tools to reverse engineer the thing as well as develop new apps in the future. Basically, I'm looking for the HPC SH-4 SDK for M$ embedded VC++. I have a strong suspicion that it's actually a HPC platform, not a Pocket PC or auto-PC.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Anyone who has a 2005 TL and uses bnhh401a and has modded things to get Tripcomputer to work report back
Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Zeuser,

You can do it!!!! <--- I'm hoping my postings are somewhat encouraging. If they are enoying please let me know and I will stop =).
Old 05-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Advanced

ok got TripComputer
I switched bnhh401a.bin renamed the TSX ( bn2hn18b.bin to the bnhh401a.bin ) then booted up. Got the trip computer. And compared some filenames in the diagnostic utility

some changes.
its now a 22 vehicle type instead of 26

all the files are the same except
SidecardLB
NAVI.exe
Diag is 1.19v2 instead of v3
all are essentially the same.

I rebooted my DVD , old back.bmp came back but the TRIP COMPUTER STUCK.
The conclusion im making is that one of these 3 files has something to do with it because essentially nothing else is different. Unless i wipe my memory i assume Tripcomputer is here to stay. Im going to try changing the files and force feeding them one at a time to try to REUP it to the original files and see if it sticks. Im just going to transplant the individual files.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Advanced

btw bnhh404a.bin is the newer tsx file that has tripcomputer.exe

i cant re stuff the navi.exe file back to the bin because of the filesize
Old 05-11-2005, 10:00 PM

how did you "reboot" the dvd? i can't seem to get the old system back now
Old 05-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Advanced

first confirm your file your loading by default by holding down the 3 buttons on the nav display. go to version , hold down menu button the FILENAME of the "loading" file will display. Thats the file you have to edit.

You can swap bnhh401a to bnhn404a(new tsx) when you LOAD disc now it will load up bnhh401a (by default) but its reall the TSX file now 404a.

Then it changes the nav to a tsx( a few voice commands and sounds are different)

If you use the SAME mod disc. RELOAD that same disc it will now look for 404a because it thinks its a TSX. But your 404a file is really the TL file, and reverts it back to normal. (minus tripcomputer ) you can put back the DVD

I played with it and kept it on( tripcomputer) since I cannot bring back the TL sounds and some of the voice doesnt work i decided to revert to the TL files.

Since its on the gauge cluster its no big deal. but i think we should continue, add some progys to the CE environment
Old 05-12-2005, 10:53 AM

If you use the SAME mod disc. RELOAD that same disc it will now look for 404a because it thinks its a TSX. But your 404a file is really the TL file, and reverts it back to normal. (minus tripcomputer ) you can put back the DVD

i tried putting the original disc back in and reloading the software and nothing changed, it stayed as an accord

Quick Reply: Secrets of the Navi software