Quickest way to hook up Dice R4

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:37 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quickest way to hook up Dice R4

Hey guys,

I ordered this earlier this week hoping to get it installed in my car before the Friday (going on a small road trip). I have read thru the many threads that discuss the install of this kit but my question is...

Whats the quick and dirty way to get this hooked up? I don't care about where the cables are and/or what it looks like.

When I get back, I'll do the proper install for sure.

Thanks for the help!
Jason
Old 07-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Well, since the DICE has to go "inline" with the XM signal, the quick and dirty and ugly way would be to pull out the right trunk liner, loosen the 3 screw holding the XM box, pull that out to gain access to it, plug in your DICE and route the wires out through the door through the back seat. Not sure how you'll be able to get the wires back out of the trunk liner so the liner can be put back in place though.

There really is no quick and easy way.

That's my
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM
zaino'd

Man that sucks.

What if I leave my iPod in the trunk? Will it power on with the car? I don't care if it doesn't power off since it gets charged when the car is on.

So the Dice install is from the back? Not like the USA Spec? Man was I off. Haha I guess my proper install will have to wait til I figure out how to do it right!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

I was only giving you a quick fix. IMO, the proper mounting is under the console and iPod wire up through the console glove box. You could leave it in the trunk

The connector is the same at the XM box as the back of the radio.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
zaino'd

Ah OK. Planning on putting the Dice underneath the center console.

So theres no way to get at this behind the glovebox or something?

Thanks Stew
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
no, the connection should be on the drivers side, so you have to get at it by pulling out the plastic dash/console pieces on that side.

i just installed my USA Spec this weekend, and it wasnt that bad. The hardest part was the actual plugging in of the cord in to the radio. The rest was easy. I have my ipod hookup running in to the top compartment right under the radio.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

RedAggie helped me install mine. He di dthe mounting and was tucked very neatly under where the cup holders are, next to the e-brake.., the iPod cable is plenty long from there.

That was how it was in mine. No doubt that any place one wants to install is ok.

True enough that the hardest part is that you have to take your console apart, all the trim pieces and glove box to get access to the screws that hold in the radio, also the info (clock) center has to come out. There is virtually no room behind the the radio when it is bolted in to get to.

FYI, be sure to keep coffee can or freeze bags for all the screws One for the drivers side console.trim, one for the passenger side, one for the golve box and one for the back console piece. The scary part is putting it all back together and having screws left over ... this is speaking from experience.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 AM
zaino'd

^ Yeah I hate it when that happens. Haha

Alright guys, guess there's no quick way to get this going. If I receive it by tomorrow, I can work thru the night so my passengers won't have to listen to crappy radio.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM
NTMD8

Dang... I think i should have ogtten the dice, but i pulled the trigger on the peripheral just recently as well...hopefully i won't have the freezing problems like the others. and dang JM we seem to be getting the same mods, HIDs, Ipod connections, lip kit....

Roof spoiler and some yellow fog light bulbs next?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
RedAggie helped me install mine. He di dthe mounting and was tucked very neatly under where the cup holders are, next to the e-brake.., the iPod cable is plenty long from there.

That was how it was in mine. No doubt that any place one wants to install is ok.

True enough that the hardest part is that you have to take your console apart, all the trim pieces and glove box to get access to the screws that hold in the radio, also the info (clock) center has to come out. There is virtually no room behind the the radio when it is bolted in to get to.

FYI, be sure to keep coffee can or freeze bags for all the screws One for the drivers side console.trim, one for the passenger side, one for the golve box and one for the back console piece. The scary part is putting it all back together and having screws left over ... this is speaking from experience.

depending on your body size, all that is not necessary.

you only need to remove the drivers side silver trim, and the plastic console piece next to your right leg(which also requires you loosening up the plastic piece under your steering wheel, but that only takes like 5min and there are only like 4 screws and 2 or 3 push pins/clips. there is room to remove the XM connection, it just takes a few minutes to align things in order to re-connect everything, but it can be done without taking apart the whole dash or removing the radio. also, you have to lay with your head by the gas pedal...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=spec

http://home.usadatanet.net/bclaps/TLAuxcableinstall.pdf
Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
EVNS TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can have my cansole pulled apart in less than 5 mins. its easy once you have done it a couple times
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by blkaspec
depending on your body size, all that is not necessary.

you only need to remove the drivers side silver trim, and the plastic console piece next to your right leg(which also requires you loosening up the plastic piece under your steering wheel, but that only takes like 5min and there are only like 4 screws and 2 or 3 push pins/clips. there is room to remove the XM connection, it just takes a few minutes to align things in order to re-connect everything, but it can be done without taking apart the whole dash or removing the radio. also, you have to lay with your head by the gas pedal...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=spec

http://home.usadatanet.net/bclaps/TLAuxcableinstall.pdf
Always helpful. Thanks man!

Originally Posted by jimsta
Roof spoiler and some yellow fog light bulbs next?
I've been looking at roof spoilers for awhile now. Can't decide which is best... plus I want to spend my remaining budget on some ATLP exhaust stuff. Fogs... would be nice but looks like a PITA to install.

Originally Posted by evnash
i can have my cansole pulled apart in less than 5 mins. its easy once you have done it a couple times
Do you live in IL??? Haha
Old 07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by evnash
Yeah, I think I could have mine apart in 5 too. The part around the shifter (front/lower console) gives me fits though. It doesn't lift up past the gear indication piece. If you have the MT, it is surely easier.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by jmkiang
Always helpful. Thanks man!

Fogs... would be nice but looks like a PITA to install.

not fogs, just yellow fog bulbs, these are mine(very easy to install)
the pics dont do them justice

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179927
Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by blkaspec
not fogs, just yellow fog bulbs, these are mine(very easy to install)
the pics dont do them justice

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179927
Off topic but... SWEET. I was just talking about changing those stock fog bulbs out...