QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My kit came in today. I have also ordered HD addon so I am interested how it works. When you were installing your kit, did you take the whole radio out or tried to get to back without doing so? If so, do you know how hard would it be to unplug the antenna?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by borgit
ChrisMc73,

Which generation Ipod do you have? I think the latest gen Ipods are always locked when connected through the docking port. The previous gen though could stay unlocked. At least that is the case with Dice.
see page 11 of the manual.

Symptom: I can't use my iPod's click wheel to select music

Cause: The iPod is in external control mode. This allows text to be displayed on the radio screen

Remedy: Press the aux/sat button and select aux 2 source to control the iPod manually using the click wheel.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:23 AM
Intermediate

Here's a youtube clip of my Peripheral PXAMG media gateway in action. You can see the different input options as I scroll through them using the radio tune knob. After about 4 seconds of no input, the display changes to show the current track, artist, time, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imqNzV2l6I8
Old 04-12-2008, 10:04 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Thanks dhasselbacher! Thats cool. Did you install or have a car audio place do it?
I'm having a car audio place do it, and I'm wonder if they already know where to put the unit and where to wire the cable so it comes out in my console in the top like yours, or if I just have to tell them thats where I want it? I guess maybe both, depending on their experience? Where is your unit (PXAMG) installed, is it hidden out of sight?

Also, do you have to unplug the iPod to get XM to work again normal? Or do you just press the xm button a few times to cycle through, back to regular xm-1 and xm-2?

Thanks for the vid, I think I'm glad I'm having this installed Tuesday!
Old 04-12-2008, 04:03 PM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by murkedout-typeS
Just ordered mine from the same seller. $129.99 + $9.99 shipping; seems like the best deal out there currently.

Now I've just gotta decide if I should try to install it myself, given that I've never done anything to my TL that's more complicated than plugging my radar detector into the cigarette lighter and velcroing it to the dash.

I've already looked at the Comptech Short Shifter thread, that shows how to get to the back of the head unit. Any of you do-it-yourselfers willing to post a similarly detailed account of the full installation procedure for this thing?
Old 04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by elessar
Now I've just gotta decide if I should try to install it myself, given that I've never done anything to my TL that's more complicated than plugging my radar detector into the cigarette lighter and velcroing it to the dash.
Ok, that's not quite true... I did manage to change my navi splash screen and remove the OK button, thanks to the Navi Hack thread. But that's software, not hardware, and I'm a programmer so I should be able to do that shit. Hardware's, like, hard and stuff.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
Thanks dhasselbacher! Thats cool. Did you install or have a car audio place do it?
I'm having a car audio place do it, and I'm wonder if they already know where to put the unit and where to wire the cable so it comes out in my console in the top like yours, or if I just have to tell them thats where I want it? I guess maybe both, depending on their experience? Where is your unit (PXAMG) installed, is it hidden out of sight?

Also, do you have to unplug the iPod to get XM to work again normal? Or do you just press the xm button a few times to cycle through, back to regular xm-1 and xm-2?

Thanks for the vid, I think I'm glad I'm having this installed Tuesday!
ChrisMC73 - Yes, I did the install myself. My guess is the car audio shop where you're having it done will find a place for the unit, but they probably work on all cars so they'll have to just get in there and search for space. I like doing this kind of stuff myself because I believe that's the only way to really learn how along with reading. I also don't like anybody messing with my car even if they really know what they're doing.

My PXAMG unit is behind the radio and center console area, but it's actually closer to the floor. If you peel back the carpet immediately to the right of your accelerator, you'll have access to the perfect mounting spot. I just used to really strong velcro and stuck it right there. This way, if I need to get at it I don't need to take the whole thing apart again.

I ran the cable for the ipod up the driver's side of the center console, as that whole area is exposed after you take the driver's side knee panel off. If you follow the Comptech short shifter method (but for only the left side) you'll already have the 2 screws removed from the bottom of the armrest console area. This "play" or looseness does really help in maneuvering panels out and allowing you to run the cable under that plastic section, up through the bottom and then up through the armrest cover.

You do not have to disconnect the ipod to access your other radio modes; just use mode on the steering wheel, or press the appropriate button on the head unit (AM/FM, CD, XM, etc)

It's really not a bad install and I would recommend giving it a go yourself. I really spent a lot of time researching how best to disassemble the dash beforehand, and that really helped calm my nerves about breaking something. The most nerve racking section is the silver trim (carbon fiber strips along the center console and gear shifter). I followed all the posts exactly but you still think you're going to break a clip or bend the thing. It turns out that particular trim piece has a thick plastic backing with all the clips attached to it and that helps keep it in shape and pretty strong. Once that piece is off it's a piece of cake. You do have to exercise a bit of caution when removing the piece directly under the steering wheel. There are many clips, some of which need to be pulled in different directions, and there are 4 harnesses that need to be unplugged if you want to completely remove it. As long as you take it slow you'll be okay.

I always find it very rewarding after I complete a project like this. It looks nearly impossible when you first get into it, then once you nail it down it's very rewarding. Of course, it doesn't hurt that you save a few bucks on the labor too!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 PM
08 TL-S CBP

I spent 4 hours today trying to install it. I got it plugged in to the leftmost slot (white) for XM. When I tried to use it, I pretty much freaked out. Navi was lagging as hell. It took 1 minute to enter 4 digit code. Once in Navi, it would not react to any buttons pretty much or when it did, only with really long delay. I have never managed to get it working. As soon as I unplugged the adapter and plugged in XM back, all was back to normal. Also, 2008 navi has funky antenna connector that most likely will not work with HD radio addon that uses standard antenna plug. I guess now is time to take it to some stereo shop to see what I screwed up ;-) This was worst car stereo experience ever!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:39 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Which is why I'm letting some pros do it on Tuesday! Precisely.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM
08 TL-S CBP

So I took it to Car Toys today to get it installed. We have got to the same spot with install. When dip switches are off and I start the car, Navi goes into a crawl mode where I cannot even switch to audio mode, if I unplug the unit and replug it, Navi and other buttons works fine. However, when I switch to FM and back to XM, i get no option to switch between XM, iPod, etc. Tested with dip switch switches on/off, etc. I hope that they answer their phones for tech support tomorrow. If anyone got it working with 2008 navi, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! ;-)
Old 04-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by YanN1ck
So I took it to Car Toys today to get it installed. We have got to the same spot with install. When dip switches are off and I start the car, Navi goes into a crawl mode where I cannot even switch to audio mode, if I unplug the unit and replug it, Navi and other buttons works fine. However, when I switch to FM and back to XM, i get no option to switch between XM, iPod, etc. Tested with dip switch switches on/off, etc. I hope that they answer their phones for tech support tomorrow. If anyone got it working with 2008 navi, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! ;-)
did you try just the ipod part with out the hd part?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Instructor

These guys have the PE iPod adapter for $139, plus they give the harness free. Just an FYI.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10485
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Intermediate

Well it certainly seems that owners of newer TL's with Nav, (08) are experiencing some difficulties with the Peripheral unit. After reading YanN1ck's post I'm surprised; I had nothing like that during my install.

This goes to show why it's hard to develop a universal adapter - too many models and too many differences within the same model line when it comes to electronics, etc.

I haven't seen these types of issues with my '05 Navi but I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I do.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 AM
08 TL-S CBP

Originally Posted by acura911
did you try just the ipod part with out the hd part?
Yea, we tried it with both HD and AUX cable connected/disconnected. Will see what support says.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

I did a self-install yesterday on my 05 non-Navi. It's the first time that I've ever done any work on a car, but I figured this would be a good place to start. I'm happy to say that it went relatively smoothly and I have a fully functional iPod/XM/HD-Radio.

I purchased the Peripheral PXAMG + HD Radio Tuner at Best Buy for $129.99 and $99.99 respectively. The guy said it was a brand new item and I was actually the first person to buy one. When I was first looking at the box in the store, I didn't realize that it was the Peripheral unit because it doesn't say Peripheral on it. It's called iSimple, but when I opened the front flap, there was a picture of the Gateway unit with the Peripheral label on top. It doesn't say PXAMG anywhere on the box, either, so I wasn't sure if it was the right one. I figured if it wasn't, I could just return it, but I opened it at home and it says PXAMG on the manual. Best Buy quoted me $150 for installation, so that pretty much settled the self-install in my mind.

I started out by disconnecting the negative from the battery (Is this necessary? I was just playing it safe.) I took dhasselbacher's advice and used jmbnova's Comptech Short Shifter tutorial to remove the left side of the center console. To remove the stereo unit, I used the Music Link instructions from hondaacuraworld. It was really strange for me to see all of the panels pulled off. I'm so used to the refined interior of the TL, so it was quite a shock to see all its guts exposed.

Then, following dhasselbacher's method, I placed the Multimedia Gateway behind the carpet to the right of the accelerator. I put the HD-Radio Tuner up above the stereo, behind the A/C fans. Then I routed the ipod cable through the lower armrest storage bin. When you pull up the rubber mat at the bottom of the bin, there is a removable cover plate. I drilled a hole in this plate just big enough for the 8-pin mini-din connector to fit through. I plan on also drilling a hole through the rubber mat just big enough for the wire to go through. Once I got everything plugged in, I performed the firmware update from Peripheral's website, but my unit already had the latest firmware (1.0f).

I reconnected the battery, turned the car on, and lo and behold I got the CODE message on the stereo. When you disconnect it from power, it triggers the anti-theft system and you have to enter a 5-digit code to reset your radio. I bought the car used, so I had to go to the dealer this morning to get the code. Afterwards I turned the stereo on, pressed the XM button, and... nothing.

At that point, I had already reinstalled all of the interior panels. Thankfully, I could just pull the carpet back to access the Gateway. Turns out one of the mini-dins got disconnected (probably when I was tucking the unit away). I plugged it back in and then disconnected and reconnected the black 24-pin harness to reset the device. Turned the car on again, hit XM, and it worked!

At first, the text display was kind of funky, but then I realised that I had to hit the 'Display' button a couple times to get it in the proper mode. I don't have an XM subscription, but the free channels were coming in clear. The HD-radio is awesome; I found all of my favorite stations and they sound amazing. I connected my iPhone and it works flawlessly. It took me a minute to learn the menu navigation buttons, but it's going to be great to stow the phone away and browse my playlists through the stereo. The scrolling text is also a great feature.

Overall I am very pleased. Successfully installing it on my own is so rewarding. I can't wait to play with it some more during my lunch break.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

YanN1ck - Your issue sounds similar to the one that I had, although I don't have Navi. I couldn't scroll through XM, iPod, etc. until I hit the Display button a few times. It might be a different issue since I don't have Navi, but it's just a thought.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Pro

i just got my pxamg today in the mail and i called tech support and they said that i need a firmware update.the firmware i have is px0208.24 they are going to call me back on this.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:43 PM
3GTLS

Just as dhasselbacher said, there are way too many models with way too many subtle difference and I am not getting confused.

From reading all the posts, it seems that various people have gotten the unit to work with various degrees of success of what ever mode TL they have. The Peripheral website does not say anything about difference on different model TLs so I have a couple of questions for the people that already have installed the unit:

1. Has anyone installed it on a 2008 Model TL/TL Type-S?
2. Does your 2008 model have Navi with NavTraffic?
3. If so, does the NavTraffic still work after the install of the unit?

I guess, if I don't get any answers, I could call Peripher but I would like to hear from real customers and not their tech support people. Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Pro

what firmware do you guys have mine is .24 and they said it need a update.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

Only the newest firmware will work with Hondas.

Autotoys has the newest version for $137.00 with free shipping

See http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10485
Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lpman
Only the newest firmware will work with Hondas.

Autotoys has the newest version for $137.00 with free shipping

See http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10485
what is the newest firmware?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Originally Posted by cmthe4th
Once I got everything plugged in, I performed the firmware update from Peripheral's website, but my unit already had the latest firmware (1.0f).

Quick question. Where did you find the firmware update page? They told me you have to go through authorized dealer. Thx.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
08 TL-S CBP

what is the newest firmware?

I just got note from Peripheral that .25 is latest firmware version.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Guys, this peripheral unit seems like a winner. I currently have DICE, but seeing the advanced functionality of the PXAMG makes me want to upgrade. I have a few questions to those that have it installed.

First, what is aux1 and aux2? Why are there 2 of them? Someone here wrote that aux2 apparently allows you to control the ipod from the ipod, does that mean that you no longer have control of it from the steering wheel/headunit and the text is gone? Is aux1 the 1/8" stereo connector?

Second, how fast does the radio scroll through all the playlists, songs, artists and albums. I have alot of stuff on my ipod and if it takes a while to find stuff, because it is laggy when scrolling, i'd rather just keep the DICE which lets me keep the unit unlocked (I have a 5.5G ipod).

Third, for those of you with the HD tuner, does the factory am/fm antenna fit directly into this tuner (same connector)? And is it hard to get to this antenna, I remember from the DICE install it was a PITA to unplug the XM and plug in the dice connector.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Pro

ok i did the firmware update to .25 and then i hook it up and it has a lag When dip switches are off and I start the car, Navi goes into a crawl mode where I cannot even switch to audio mode, if I unplug the unit and replug it, Navi and other buttons works fine. However, when I switch to FM and back to XM, i get no option to switch between XM, iPod, etc.YanN1ck i think will are having the samething happen did you find anything out?thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Quick question. Where did you find the firmware update page? They told me you have to go through authorized dealer. Thx.
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...?ProductID=276
Scroll down to the bottom where it says "Click here for firmware updates"
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

.25 is the latest version. I was looking at the wrong number before when I said 1.0f
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Pro

YanN1ck did you call tech up today and what did they say?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
08 TL-S CBP

I called them about this issue and they haven't ran across it. They wanted me to get the serial number and leave it unplugged for 5 mins and try again. Unfortunately I haven't had tome to mes with today yet. I will try couple of things tonight if kids go to bed early enough ;-)
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Pro

I called them about this issue and they haven't ran across it. They wanted me to get the serial number and leave it unplugged for 5 mins and try again. Unfortunately I haven't had tome to mes with today yet. I will try couple of things tonight if kids go to bed early enough ;-)
did you update yours i did and it's still not right what did they say it was.i tryed all day to get it to work.the samething that your's is doing mine is doing.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear

I am now having problem with my Peripheral PXAMG in my 2006 NON NAVI TL. I used it going to work fine no problems,went to lunch and the song title came up...No artist name, ,just said IPOD on the screen.So I disconnected,reconnected,Hit the display button and the artist/song title came up;but the artist name froze...Not matching the song title.Reset Ipod,Made sure I had the last ipod update,getting annoyed! My version is .25
Old 04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Mine is being installed tomorrow, in an 04 TL with Navi, I'll let you know how it goes and what I think of the unit.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Mine has been working flawlessly. 08 TL, non nav.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
08 TL-S CBP

did you update yours i did and it's still not right what did they say it was.i tryed all day to get it to work.the samething that your's is doing mine is doing.

I just messed with it for little bit. Plugged it in and checked dip switches in Off position and iPod cable in farthest plug away from dip switches. Plugged in the harness, let the NAV and everything sit for 3 minutes (they say at least 1 min for Dev/Init. Then I turned off the ignition, started again but it was still crawling, no buttons working, display above Nav not showing anything from XM, etc. S I unplugged it for 8 mins to reset and followed the same steps again to no avail. funny thing is when you unplug it while radio is on and plug it right back, XM will work just fine but no ability to switch to iPod, HD, etc. As soon as you turn off ignition and start it back up, it goes back to crawl. I guess it is time to call them again tomorrow morning. Wonder if this .25 firmware messed it up. I wish I could test it with previous version. Try to give them a call also so that I am not the only one with this issue!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro

I just messed with it for little bit. Plugged it in and checked dip switches in Off position and iPod cable in farthest plug away from dip switches. Plugged in the harness, let the NAV and everything sit for 3 minutes (they say at least 1 min for Dev/Init. Then I turned off the ignition, started again but it was still crawling, no buttons working, display above Nav not showing anything from XM, etc. S I unplugged it for 8 mins to reset and followed the same steps again to no avail. funny thing is when you unplug it while radio is on and plug it right back, XM will work just fine but no ability to switch to iPod, HD, etc. As soon as you turn off ignition and start it back up, it goes back to crawl. I guess it is time to call them again tomorrow morning. Wonder if this .25 firmware messed it up. I wish I could test it with previous version. Try to give them a call also so that I am not the only one with this issue!
did you try it before you updated it;and i will call them tomorrow too.i wish i can see if .24 would work better
Old 04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
Mine has been working flawlessly. 08 TL, non nav.

It is all your fault for convincing us it works great

JK
Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 PM
08 TL-S CBP

did you try it before you updated it;and i will call them tomorrow too.i wish i can see if .24 would work better

I wish I could but my unit came with .25 already on it. Never had .24 or earlier. Wonder if there is way to downgrade.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Pro

I wish I could but my unit came with .25 already on it. Never had .24 or earlier. Wonder if there is way to downgrade.
not sure if there is.mine came with .24 and i updated it before i hooked it up.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Pro

does anyone on here have firmware .25 and has it working in there car with nothing wrong?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Of all you guys that are having problems, did you have it installed or DYDIYS?

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4