QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:35 PM
3GTLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murkedout-typeS
I am ordering this unit on monday hopeful i can get it in next weekend
I am hoping that I get an answer from them soon. But in case, I don't, please let us know whether everything works out fine.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Instructor

After several weeks of using this iPod adapter I have had absolutely no problems. It works with the latest iPod software, no skips or hiccups. Just plain works as stated. Easy as pie to operate and the iPod music sounds great.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Cruisin'

I was this close to ordering the USA Spec; but that is what this forum is great for. After hearing that the USA Spec has some issues, and 2008 Acura TL's good luck with it I may just go for the Peripheral instead. I've had a peripheral adapter in the past, just on a Chevy car, not on my TL. It sounds like the right solution with no problems and the text display is just the sweet icing on the cake, as I was already thinking I would have to live with a no text option. Thanks man!

By the way, where did you have yours installed?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 PM
My username is lame

if you get the USA spec one does your car have to have nav? or does it just take the place of the XM button? also. can you see the song title on the screen?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 PM
08 TL-S CBP

If I am not mistaking, USA spec will not display any song info but XM text stays. Dice unit is opposite, no XM text, only iPod info. This Peripheral device sounds like ideal unit by showing both for the price of Dice unit. Plus you can get HD radio
Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
My username is lame

Originally Posted by jimenezlee
I was this close to ordering the USA Spec; but that is what this forum is great for. After hearing that the USA Spec has some issues, and 2008 Acura TL's good luck with it I may just go for the Peripheral instead. I've had a peripheral adapter in the past, just on a Chevy car, not on my TL. It sounds like the right solution with no problems and the text display is just the sweet icing on the cake, as I was already thinking I would have to live with a no text option. Thanks man!

yah i think that Peripheral is the best way to go because you can see text on xm and ipod.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Had mine installed at a nearby car audio shop. They sell PE stuff, but the owner wasn't quite up to par on this new unit. so I had them email PE. They've done other installs for me, but I did all the research on the unit. They ordered it for me and did the install.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
My username is lame

how come at this website cruthfield.com it says that it wont work with an 05 tl non nav?

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...541PXDP&tp=120
Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
GB-WI-TL

Ipod Adaptor

hey Problem child can you let me know how your device works? I'm very interested in finding out - Thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

whats up with the big ass font?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

so does the peripheral keep the text and let you keep the use of your xm radio?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
08 TL-S CBP

Originally Posted by murkedout-typeS
so does the peripheral keep the text and let you keep the use of your xm radio?
This is what PE says on their site: In Most Applications Retains Original Vehicle Features – Advanced capabilities retain OEM satellite radio, rear-seat entertainment or controls, and all safety and convenience features tied to the factory system.

I believe that 2008 TL said the same, that he has both texts
Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by YanN1ck
Let us know what they say. I wonder if getting the HD Radio addon is worth it. Install sounds quite easy, but I am not sure where would be the best place to place the unit in case it needs to be accessed easy.
Here is the answer that I got:

"We have been able to verify that the PXAMG does work with Navigation radios in Acura. We were also able to verify that the PXAMG works in 2006-2007 Honda Accords with navigation. The incompatibility notes for 2006-2007 Honda Accords and Acura’s equipped with navigation radios have been removed, so we are now compatible with Acura and Honda navigation radios."

I guess, I'll be ordering the unit pretty soon
Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 PM
My username is lame

void. where are you planning on ordering it from? their direct website?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:44 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by ImPoRtHoNdA
void. where are you planning on ordering it from? their direct website?
Don't really know yet. I guess, I'll shop around for the best price/support combination. Also, there is a document on the peripheral website that lists what to do when funny things happen with the unit. I'll have to read it carefully and see whether I am willing to put up with all those things.

Also, I want to ask my dealer whether they will be willing to install it and how much it would cost. Given some of the stories about handing your car over to an audio shop, I might feel a little better about having my dealership's service dept do the work (on the other hand, who knows more about audio stuff then the audio shop?)
Old 04-01-2008, 02:38 PM
08 TL-S CBP

If you got hondaacuraworld.com and look at their music link installation instructions about how to get behind the stereo, it ain't bad. Since there is no cable splicing, etc., you just need to figure out which way to run cable and where to mount the unit. I installed musiclink in my MDX and it took less than 45 minutes trying to be very careful about not scratching anything.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Cruisin'

Order is in for Peripheral :)

Sweet, I just placed an order with a local installer that I'm having do the install since I want the cable to come out in the bottom compartment of the center console. Seems like a bit more pieces to remove than I want to mess with right now. I'm having it installed on Friday.

Thanks to all for the pointers and the recommendations, I'll let you know how it works for me, although from looking at the product documentation, there should be no problems. I was curious as to how it would keep both the XM display and the iPod display. According to the docs, the product will "capture" the request to show the satellite radio information and display a menu to ask you what you want your source to be, you can then select XM or iPod and that's how it knows what display information to send you. If you want to change you have to switch out of the satellite input in your car's radio and come back and the menu will show up again.

I can't wait, I drive a lot on the weekends and I'm looking forward to having this in my car! It should work both as phone charger and iPod interface as I'm planning on using it with an iPhone.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Instructor

you go to am/fm to get out of iPod mode. Hit aux/xm button and you can select (with the tuner knob) which input you like (sat, iPod, aux1, aux2). Once you see the correct input on the screen the unit will auto select it. It's that simple.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Also, there is a document on the peripheral website that lists what to do when funny things happen with the unit.
Not sure what funny things you are referring to, but there have been none with mine, so far.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 AM
NPB TL FTW

Originally Posted by GB-WI-TL
hey Problem child can you let me know how your device works? I'm very interested in finding out - Thanks
Its on its way I will let AcuraZine know whats up
Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Peripheral PXAMG

I submitted an inquiry last night on Peripheral's web site to see if they could confirm if the PXAMG indeed does or does not work with the TL Nav system.

I am happy to report that their response states that they have removed the restrictions and it does work with most Honda/Acura navigation radios. It's still early as this thing just came out recently, but they could hit it out of the park if this product is as stable as they claim.

Could we finally have the holy grail? The all in one solution so many have been waiting for? Keep XM radio, have text on the nav display including artist, track, etc. and have control via ipod, head unit, and steering wheel controls!! This could be sweet! I'm thinking seriously about ordering one to find out if it works. Not to mention, this product gives you the ability to add HD radio if you desire and still provides another AUX input.

If you already have one in place continue to post your findings.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
08 TL-S CBP

I am not sure based on their info that you get additional Aux if you use HD module. I am trying to get quotes from local dealers but they are not responding at all so far.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Instructor

when you select which input you want, I get ipod, sat, aux1, aux2 and i don't have the HD radio module.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Does it let you use existing AUX port in center console?
Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM
10th Gear

Smile Jumping on the Bandwagon - 06 TL Navi

Well, it looks like this is what we've been waiting for!

I had the factory iPod (AcuraLink) installed when I bought my TL and the software finally just wouldn't work with Vista. Believe it or not, I talked the Acura corporate guys into a refund.

So I ordered peripheral electronics package today (same thing as 2008 Acura TL did).

Waffling on the HD Radio, because according to the manual , you effectively disable (antenna no longer attached) your factory FM/AM.

So, after ordering both via an installer, I waffled and left a message after hours to nix the HD Radio. I'll let fate decide the rest. If he ordered it, fine, if not, fine.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by YanN1ck
Does it let you use existing AUX port in center console?
Question, why would you need to use the center console aux port? The PE iPod adapter makes it useless, but I'll check for you, see if it still works.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Instructor

The HD radio is useless to me. That's why I have XM. And that's why I wanted to keep XM and still have iPod text.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:10 AM
08 TL-S CBP

If you look at the troubleshooting portion of installation manual, you will be using the gateway for all AM/FM so you will still have AM/FM radio, just not through AM/FM button on the stereo.

Originally Posted by hetzmic
Well, it looks like this is what we've been waiting for!

I had the factory iPod (AcuraLink) installed when I bought my TL and the software finally just wouldn't work with Vista. Believe it or not, I talked the Acura corporate guys into a refund.

So I ordered peripheral electronics package today (same thing as 2008 Acura TL did).

Waffling on the HD Radio, because according to the manual , you effectively disable (antenna no longer attached) your factory FM/AM.

So, after ordering both via an installer, I waffled and left a message after hours to nix the HD Radio. I'll let fate decide the rest. If he ordered it, fine, if not, fine.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 AM
08 TL-S CBP

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
Question, why would you need to use the center console aux port? The PE iPod adapter makes it useless, but I'll check for you, see if it still works.
Since it is available and not all my friends use iPod. And since the port is available and PXAMG has AUX 1 and 2 for selection I would assume it would work.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Can you guys with this new unit capture some screen shots or vids of this thing in action? Does it also have a plug 'n' play harness? I was going to grab the DICE unit but may wait to see what this things all about.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Cruisin'

Ask and you shall receive, here's a link to a youtube of it in action. <p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6bYMMOHS34 <p>It works well so far, I'm very pleased with the results as I get the text displayed on the screen, gives me a great audio connection and it charges my iPhone too! <p>

A couple of worthy notes however. My '08 TL-S came with XM and traffic information. Now when I went in for the install I asked them to install the interface and also swap out the XM tuner for a Sirius one. Turns out this was the only way the shop could have got it to work anyway (Safe & Sound in Manassas, VA) as they told me that the XM with traffic update is different from the regular XM connection in that it has two plugs instead of one and both are needed for correct operation of the factory XM tuner (huh? are you kidding me?). So since I was also having Sirius installed, the adapter that comes with THAT has only one plug and they were able to use it as the source and get everything working together. They just unplugged the XM tuner and spliced (yikes!) into the factory XM antenna to connect the cable they cut off from the Sirius antenna and ran that to the front of the car; this so there was no need to install/route a new antenna on the roof of the car. So having my iPod interface and Sirius tuner cost me my traffic info... all other functions such as Navi, bluetooth etc. seem to be working fine, and I didn't suffer too much from losing the traffic info, since in NOVA you just get information for I66 and 267 (toll road), which everybody knows are clogged during rush hour.
<p>
Has anybody had a similar experience? I'd be interested to know, since if there is a better way of doing this I can go back and ask them to change something, they gave me lifetime warranty on the install.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

i cant believe they spliced your antenna.I would expect better from safe and sound.I hope it doesnt affect the signal quality.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

I know, I would have hoped for an adaptor or something to avoid the surgery... Signal quality did not suffer though.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Instructor

For those who want to know, since the install of the PE iPod unit, the aux jack in the center console does not work. I may have used the wrong cable or its because the first iPod is still connected or it plain just doesn't work. It means nothing to me, but for those who would for some reason need to use that jack, well, just an FYI.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 PM
3GTLS

I am a little worried that jimenezlee's installers could not get it to work with NavTraffic/XM. I guess, I will have to send another question to Peripheral!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
where did you guys order it from and what was the cost for it;also if i keep xm will the NavTraffic work.how does it sound coming out of the xm port does it sound loud or is it low like xm is.thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Local guys were very expensive in my area. I ended up buying the kit on eBay plus HD radio addon. I paid 238 for both with adapter.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask and you shall receive, here's a link to a youtube of it in action. <p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6bYMMOHS34 <p>It works well so far, I'm very pleased with the results as I get the text displayed on the screen, gives me a great audio connection and it charges my iPhone too! <p>

A couple of worthy notes however. My '08 TL-S came with XM and traffic information. Now when I went in for the install I asked them to install the interface and also swap out the XM tuner for a Sirius one. Turns out this was the only way the shop could have got it to work anyway (Safe & Sound in Manassas, VA) as they told me that the XM with traffic update is different from the regular XM connection in that it has two plugs instead of one and both are needed for correct operation of the factory XM tuner (huh? are you kidding me?). So since I was also having Sirius installed, the adapter that comes with THAT has only one plug and they were able to use it as the source and get everything working together. They just unplugged the XM tuner and spliced (yikes!) into the factory XM antenna to connect the cable they cut off from the Sirius antenna and ran that to the front of the car; this so there was no need to install/route a new antenna on the roof of the car. So having my iPod interface and Sirius tuner cost me my traffic info... all other functions such as Navi, bluetooth etc. seem to be working fine, and I didn't suffer too much from losing the traffic info, since in NOVA you just get information for I66 and 267 (toll road), which everybody knows are clogged during rush hour.
<p>
Has anybody had a similar experience? I'd be interested to know, since if there is a better way of doing this I can go back and ask them to change something, they gave me lifetime warranty on the install.
this might be a dumb question, but does the car kit let you use the touch screen navi?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Instructor

I have had my USA SPEC for about 3 weeks, and i absolutely love it! Navi, BT, XM all still work. It does not have text for the ipod though. I can get over that, as it is a minor thing.....to me at least. The sound quality is GREAT, and the sound is louder than CD's. I would definately reccomend this product. Cost 109.00 from enfig.com.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:34 AM
Instructor

I paid $150 for the PE iPod unit, plus $50 for the install. They ran the wire up through the lower center console.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4