Putting Together A System (Comments, Questions, Help, Etc)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Putting Together A System (Comments, Questions, Help, Etc)...

First things first...Thanks for all the help I'll hopefully get

So I'd like to put a nice budget system into my '04 TL but I need to clear a few things up first. Before my TL I had an '03 F150 reg cab and I had 2 10" 3510d Digital Design subs off a Power Acoustik a3000db (roughly 900/sub) in a 3cu.ft ported box. I also had a small Phoenix Gold amp pushing my components, which were Pioneer Rev's from around 5 years ago. Okay...with that said, I'd like to put something into my TL that's not so SPL crazy, more of an SQL system this time....even though the DD's were still VERY good at SQ while being incredibly loud. I'm trying to sell all my stuff right now but I've started looking at a few options of what i'd like to do...

- I'm thinking 1- 12" sub in a ported box so I can run a 4 channel amp and bridge 2 channels for the sub and have the other two channels for my components.

Wants:
- I'm used to the DD subs now so I know anything I put in there wont be anywhere near as loud but I'd like something that can go deep to cover all the ranges in rap, rock, etc (hence ported). For my components, I'd like to steer clear or bright/harsh tweeters and go for a more warm sound that's still detailed. My Pioneers, personally, were pretty bright and my Home Theater setup has me accustomed to the warm, natural sound.

Sub- under $200
Components- under $250
4-Channel Amp- under $300

Possible Subs/Components:

1. 12" Alpine Type-R (the newest one)
2. 12" Image Dynamics IDQ (unless I find a crazy deal on an IDMAX)
3. Something from RE
4. Sundown SA-12 (looks VERY intriguing!)

1. Image Dynamics CTX65CS
2. Alpine SPX-17REF
3. Focal, CDT, MB Quart?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub
Rockford Fosgate P3D412
or...
stack a little more and get the JL W6. That sub hits lows i never knew existed. Not necessarily super spl but sq is amazing

components
Rockford Fosgate T1652-S or any Infinity reference

amp
not many choices to efficiently power a type r 12 or any sub in that category + components for under $300

just my .02
Old 09-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
comps image dynamics ctx65cs
sub 12" ssa dcon
amp sundown 100.4
Old 09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by Rondon2583
Sub
Rockford Fosgate P3D412
or...
stack a little more and get the JL W6. That sub hits lows i never knew existed. Not necessarily super spl but sq is amazing

components
Rockford Fosgate T1652-S or any Infinity reference

amp
not many choices to efficiently power a type r 12 or any sub in that category + components for under $300

just my .02

Thanks for the quick reply! Honestly, I'm not very fond of Rockford products and their whole P-line of subs seem to crack and their just not very good sounding. The T2 sub is ok though. For the W6, they're expensive and if I wanted to put that much power into it then I'd just keep my DD's. On the components, again, not very fond of RF and most Infinities are known for being kinda bright...plus I didn't really like them when I heard em about a year ago.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
comps image dynamics ctx65cs
sub 12" ssa dcon
amp sundown 100.4

Have you heard the ID components?

So you think the SSS dcon would be better than the Sundown SA-12? Again, I'm not looking to shake the whole neighborhood (already have subs for that) but I'd like something that can get play low but is still punchy and responsive. From all my researching it seems the SSA, Sundown, Audioque, etc are all going to be relatively close because they all take around 600 watts (most can take more though) and they seem to be SQL'ish woofers
Old 09-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
dcon is a sq sq that can mash the lows

it's also a 300w driver, not 600
Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hertz components are some of my favorites. I think you can get into the Esk line for under 250. They are smooth sounding speakers. I'm not a fan of Infinity either because they seem too bright to me.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would look for AudioQue for the subs, they have the street duty starting at 129 for the 10's. They are great for the money.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
dcon is a sq sq that can mash the lows

it's also a 300w driver, not 600
Yeah that'd be much easier to drive on a 4-channel. Only reason I want to do a 4 channel is it'd be cheaper and It's not like I'm driving some crazy subs like my DD's. That DCON looks nice though! I wonder how it compares...

Originally Posted by sddale
Hertz components are some of my favorites. I think you can get into the Esk line for under 250. They are smooth sounding speakers. I'm not a fan of Infinity either because they seem too bright to me.
Not gonna lie...I don't know much about the Hertz components. I haven't heard them (heard OF them though) and I don't know anyone that has them or anywhere I can listen to them. I'd like to though b/c they seem to be becoming popular. If they really are smooth sounding and more of a warm, detailed component then I'd def. be down to check em out. It seems like the silk dome tweeter is the one that's usually more warm than the aluminum tweets. Thanks though!...i'll check these out

Originally Posted by 93notch
i would look for AudioQue for the subs, they have the street duty starting at 129 for the 10's. They are great for the money.
Yeah I forgot to include AudioQue in my original post! They're very nice for the price!! Not sure if you knew this but they are actually the sister company of Digital Designs. The father owns AQ and the son owns DD..kinda funny. From what I've heard everything is basically ran just like the DD's but with a little less "upper end" components. I read something that said the new AQ Street Duty SDC2.5 is between the 2500 and 3500 series in SPL and sounds better in SQ....sounds like its right up my alley! The 3510d's I had were REALLY loud and I thought they sound great SQ wise too. Ugh...so many choices... haha