Project "Free DVD-A", yet another DVD-A creation thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Adobeman

I tried your GUI program while ago, and I loved it. I didn't have to deal with DOS commands as I'm comp. dummy.
Anyway, I tried to download GUI as you provided, but couldn't download it.
Says;
Server Error in '/URLRedirection' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fatal error opening the database connection: Login failed for user 'UrlRedirection'. Reason: The password of the account has expired.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Exception: Fatal error opening the database connection: Login failed for user 'UrlRedirection'. Reason: The password of the account has expired.

How can I download you GUI again?
Thank you!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by HJIN25
I tried your GUI program while ago, and I loved it. I didn't have to deal with DOS commands as I'm comp. dummy.
Anyway, I tried to download GUI as you provided, but couldn't download it.
Says;
Server Error in '/URLRedirection' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fatal error opening the database connection: Login failed for user 'UrlRedirection'. Reason: The password of the account has expired.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Exception: Fatal error opening the database connection: Login failed for user 'UrlRedirection'. Reason: The password of the account has expired.

How can I download you GUI again?
Thank you!!!
That's nothing to do with me. Comcast's servers (my ISP) were probably having problems. The link worked fine for me today.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the response. I downloaded the software, however, it looks like you have to grab the files from a DVD/CD. What if I already have the DTS .wav file sitting on the hard drive? Do you know of any other programs?

Originally Posted by RAGAN328
USE AUDIO SIX PACK
Old 12-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gammah
Thanks for the response. I downloaded the software, however, it looks like you have to grab the files from a DVD/CD. What if I already have the DTS .wav file sitting on the hard drive? Do you know of any other programs?
I use foobar2k to convert 6ch dts files to 6ch wav files, and then use Solo for DVD-A discs. I don't know the difference between a dts wav and the regular dts files I use but here is something posted at Doom9

"For Foobar2k v0.9.4 there are a foo_input_dts plugin. (Foobar accept dtswav is you change the extension from .wav to .dts). "

I use an older version of foobar (8.3) with a different dts plugin but you should be able to get the recent version to do what you want.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. This thread has been very helpful, but a lot of times, I have no idea on the subject.
Anyway,
I used exact audio to convert CD music to wav files and listen to most of them and came out to be ok.
After using GUI, and alcohol to burn the image,(using two groups)
most song didn't come out when played.
ie. first 10songs just skip themselves and rest 20songs played. etc..

I tried second time and burned it twice, but same result.
Is it the conversion or what would be causing it?
Thank you
Old 02-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Instructor

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but if anyone can handle these questions I'd appreciate it I'm looking to get an 04 TL if that matters.

1. I read some mentions of DVD-R discs used, so can we use DVD-R discs burned with songs?
2. How many songs can I generally place on a single DVD-A disc?
3. The TL has a 6-CD changer according to its specs, this also means a 6-DVD changer too right?
4. Is it possible to have the Artist and Title displayed on the Nav screen?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by tracerit
I haven't read this entire thread yet, but if anyone can handle these questions I'd appreciate it I'm looking to get an 04 TL if that matters
1. I read some mentions of DVD-R discs used, so can we use DVD-R discs burned with songs?YES
2. How many songs can I generally place on a single DVD-A disc?Typically 80-100 CD quality on a single layer DVD-R
3. The TL has a 6-CD changer according to its specs, this also means a 6-DVD changer too right?YES
4. Is it possible to have the Artist and Title displayed on the Nav screen?NO.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Instructor

very nice, thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adobeman, I'm about to attempt to create a DVD-A project using your program. I just ran over it really quickly and did a single song test run. I noticed that when you drop a song in there, it does the conversion from [file format] to .wav, then does its authoring thing. My question is: if I have the .wav already created, will it reformat the songs to .wav again, or does it recognize that the song is already in .wav format and therefore require no further conversion?

In addition, could I drop .flac files in there (ones that I've created already) and still have your program work? Now, same question again, only with .aiff instead of .flac.

If this is in any readme file or has been clarified before, I apologize. This thread has gotten quite long, though, and reading through it all to find an answer so specific could be quite tedious. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by brettallica
Adobeman, I'm about to attempt to create a DVD-A project using your program. I just ran over it really quickly and did a single song test run. I noticed that when you drop a song in there, it does the conversion from [file format] to .wav, then does its authoring thing. My question is: if I have the .wav already created, will it reformat the songs to .wav again, or does it recognize that the song is already in .wav format and therefore require no further conversion?
You should be fine with wav files directly. It won't need to convert them to anything else prior to mastering the DVD-A ISO. Just drag 'em into the group you want them to be in. If you can use a tool like CDEx to convert all your non-wavs to to wav first that may be best since the GUI is pretty picky about mp3 files that have any errors.
Originally Posted by brettallica
In addition, could I drop .flac files in there (ones that I've created already) and still have your program work? Now, same question again, only with .aiff instead of .flac.

If this is in any readme file or has been clarified before, I apologize. This thread has gotten quite long, though, and reading through it all to find an answer so specific could be quite tedious. Thanks for your help.
My GUI doesn't take FLAC directly. I guess that's "my bad" since the DVD-A creator opens source code the GUI controls can take FLAC files. Check out the new beta of Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo. It can use .aif and now it supposedly will take FLAC directly too. http://www.cirlinca.com/downloadbeta1.htm
Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adobeman
You should be fine with wav files directly. It won't need to convert them to anything else prior to mastering the DVD-A ISO. Just drag 'em into the group you want them to be in. If you can use a tool like CDEx to convert all your non-wavs to to wav first that may be best since the GUI is pretty picky about mp3 files that have any errors.
My GUI doesn't take FLAC directly. I guess that's "my bad" since the DVD-A creator opens source code the GUI controls can take FLAC files. Check out the new beta of Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo. It can use .aif and now it supposedly will take FLAC directly too. http://www.cirlinca.com/downloadbeta1.htm

Great! Thank you for clearing that up for me. I've been using my iBook up to this point to get my DVD-A projects done, and since I recently got a DVD drive for my PC, I thought I'd give your program a whirl. My PC has a little more horsepower so my assumption is that I might be able to save some time, since creating a DVD-A is no small project as far as time is concerned.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:36 AM
2nd Gear

iso problem

Has anyone had a problem with the iso image or the Audio_TS files?

Everytime I use the tool, everyother song is garbage. It gives me a sound as if I had an FM radio with a bad reception. I checked the AUDIO_TS files under the DVD folder, these are the files used for the burn process and thats where the problem is. I click on the Audio_TS file, use Nero to listen and sure enough, everyother song is bad.

Please help
Old 02-16-2007, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

Upconversion to 6 channel audio with the GUI?

Adobeman, I've been using your GUI and I love it. I also tried the Adobinizer, but couldn't successfully burn the large clubbed wav files I created to a dvd-a. Is there any chance of you getting the large club upconversion integrated into the UI? If not, is there a way I can edit one of your log/batch files to maybe use dvda-author to write the 6ch wav files created by adobinizer to dvd-a isos? Unfortunately, the only GOOD dvd-a iso maker that I've found is yours... everything else I use tries to write directly to my dvd+r and craps out a coaster. Everything that I have that can write isos doesn't handle 6ch audio. I just got all my Rammstein MP3s in 320KBps and really want to convert them to 6ch WAVs and fit them on a DVD-A. Help!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:41 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by cruzer
Adobeman, I've been using your GUI and I love it. I also tried the Adobinizer, but couldn't successfully burn the large clubbed wav files I created to a dvd-a. Is there any chance of you getting the large club upconversion integrated into the UI?
Not likely. The GUI does lots of things that are otherwise pretty involved. The Adobinizer is already pretty straight forward since all you need to do is drop your wavs and run a script.
If not, is there a way I can edit one of your log/batch files to maybe use dvda-author to write the 6ch wav files created by adobinizer to dvd-a isos?
I don't think so. You would need a tool to create all the multichannel .aob files first and the dvd-author open source I use will not do that.
Unfortunately, the only GOOD dvd-a iso maker that I've found is yours... everything else I use tries to write directly to my dvd+r and craps out a coaster. Everything that I have that can write isos doesn't handle 6ch audio. I just got all my Rammstein MP3s in 320KBps and really want to convert them to 6ch WAVs and fit them on a DVD-A. Help!
Have you tried Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo and/or tried DVD-R ? That is pretty tried and true for all others doing multi-channel. Rammstein...yikesthink I first saw them in xXx (a.k.a Triple X).
Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I've decided to document the creation method I've been using to make stereo DVD-A disks for use in the TL. I've used this to make many disks. Other Acurazine members TerminaderTL and markjrenna have helped test this process and report success and satisfaction.

The goal is to provide a simple, free, method to make DVD-As from all those old CDs and other 2 channel music sources you've got lying around. For sure this doesn't beat Discwelder (defunct) or Wavelab but for those of us who don't want to want to shell out the dough for Wavelab (or have ethical issues with other ways of obtaining it) it is a reliable, repeatable way to make the disks.

http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDA/

Check it out and see if it works for you. Feedback appreciated.
Software works great. Created my first DVD-A, however when browsing through the tracks, it does not display the file name!
Am I missing something in the compilation setup?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:36 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Finepix
Software works great. Created my first DVD-A, however when browsing through the tracks, it does not display the file name!
Am I missing something in the compilation setup?
No, you are not missing anything. Track names do not appear.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
So how does the "groups" thing work on the GUI? I burned a DVD-A with a bunch of groups. Plays fine, but Im only getting group 1 songs......
Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by geekybiker
So how does the "groups" thing work on the GUI? I burned a DVD-A with a bunch of groups. Plays fine, but Im only getting group 1 songs......
hold scan and rpt together on the head unit for a few seconds.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those that get issues with directly dropping MP3s into the utility, its usually because it has a ID3_v2 tag. Sometimes it'll take it w/o nagging, but often times, if the tag is there and its header starts at a high byte count, then its going to not work. You can simply use Winamp to remove the tag if you'd like.

Like Adobe said, just use CDeX to convert to wav.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM
10th Gear

Hey guys,

I just came across this thread of making the DVDA discs. When i tried it yesterday the makeDVD.bat file did not pick up all my files in group1. I had about 75 songs in wav format dropped in that directory, but the batch file only picked up like 15 files.

Is there a limit of songs I can put in one group? Anybody knows more?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by greenleaf81
Hey guys,

I just came across this thread of making the DVDA discs. When i tried it yesterday the makeDVD.bat file did not pick up all my files in group1. I had about 75 songs in wav format dropped in that directory, but the batch file only picked up like 15 files.

Is there a limit of songs I can put in one group? Anybody knows more?
My bad its already been discussed, we can put all the songs in one group as long as we are not exceeding the DVD capacity.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just wanted to say that adobeman is a great guy..taking his time to make an app that would help our little community. this guy deserves muchos kudos
Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Since this thread has been bumped, it seems like it might be a reasonable place to raise a question about using Adobeman's DVD-A GUI. In general, I love it. I've recently been having a problem with a particular project I've been trying to burn, however. I was trying to burn a 70-track single-group DVD-A consisting of most of my iTunes "purchased" playlist, but several of the tracks just cut off at about six seconds into the track. In the TL, I can skip ahead to the next track and the disc will keep playing, but if I try playing such a DVD-A in my Marantz universal player in my main home stereo, it plays fine until it reaches such a problem track, and then the display will say "NO PLAY" and I have to eject the disc, reload it, and advance past said track to continue on. So I know the problem isn't with the TL stereo.

Here's how I burned the disc:

(1) Disabled screen saver. (In retrospect I did not turn off my DSL modem nor disable antivirus/antispyware software, so perhaps I should have done that too.)

(2) Source files in iTunes are all Apple Lossless purchases from the iTunes store with a very few exceptions (an .MP3 of "Brass Bonanza"; one or two Apple Lossless CD rips I simply wanted to add to the playlist). iTunes is sometimes unreliable in my experience if you burn across multiple CDs, so instead I created a playlist called "Burn to CD" and copied the tracks I wanted in groups of 10 to 12, then burned them to a CD-RW.

(3) After each CD-RW was burned, I used CDex to rip them to .WAV files in a new directory I created on my Iomega 1 TB external drive. I do not use Vista to rip the CDs because something is wrong with the files Vista creates and Adobeman's GUI rejects them, but the ones CDex creates are fine. Following the ripping of each CD, I renamed all the files in the format "xx Track Name" (e.g., "66 I Can't Drive 55") to ensure that, first, they'd all be in the correct order and, second, I'd be able to keep track of them without tearing my hair out.

(4) Once all the tracks were arranged, I imported all of them into Group 1 using Adobeman's GUI.

(5) Then I used Adobeman's GUI to burn to a Verbatim DVD-R.

(6) Once that was done, I first tried playing the disc on my Marantz player downstairs until I experienced the problem noted above with dropped tracks. I then tried re-burning on another disc and experienced the same problem, so I then tried both discs in the TL and got the result noted in my introductory paragraph.

The problem tracks aren't necessarily the same on each burn attempt (with one exception), so I doubt it's something to do with the files. I also tried playing the .WAV files through Windows Media Player after I had found the problem, and they played fine on my PC. The problem is something else, then. But I have no idea what the problem might be.

Can anyone provide any help? For what it's worth, when I've used Adobeman's GUI to burn straight CD rips to DVD-A in order to consolidate 3-CD concert recordings onto single discs, it's worked fine—the only time I've had a problem is with the stuff purchased from iTunes, burned to CD, and ripped back to .WAV.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
6th Gear

Not Working

I appreciate the free program first off. Thanks for that. I did everything to download it from the "GUI" link at the top and proceeded through the proper steps but when I put the disc in my car, it said "FORMAT" and did not work. What are the rememdies to this? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 05BlueTL
I appreciate the free program first off. Thanks for that. I did everything to download it from the "GUI" link at the top and proceeded through the proper steps but when I put the disc in my car, it said "FORMAT" and did not work. What are the rememdies to this? Thanks.
What did you use to burn the disc (the final step)? When I tried using Vista to burn the disc it produced a nice shiny drink coaster, but when I used Roxio the disc was playable. Also, are you using DVD-R or +R? Some people have reported problems with DVD+R.

I still haven't solved my problem in the post before yours, but I haven't tried burning the disc in question again.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 AM
6th Gear

I used the program Adobeman gave. Is that not the program to burn the discs? I am using DVD-R and XP is my OS. Let me know if anything else can be done. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 05BlueTL
I used the program Adobeman gave. Is that not the program to burn the discs? I am using DVD-R and XP is my OS. Let me know if anything else can be done. Thanks.
Adobeman's program creates the files that you then have to burn to a DVD-R, but it doesn't do the actual burning itself. It creates two .ISO files and puts them in the directory it specifies (it will tell you where they are after it creates them). I haven't used XP in a while, but IIRC its CD- and DVD-burning is more reliable than Vista's. You need to find the .ISO files and burn them to the DVD. Then go try it in the car. It sounds like you probably have a blank DVD!

As I mentioned above, I use Roxio, which was pre-installed on my Vista PC, and it's generally been fine. I suspect that any reliable CD- or DVD-burning software ought to do the job. I noted above some problems I had with tracks being dropped, but it's not due to the burning software. The only tracks with which I've had problems were with downloads from the iTunes Store that I burned to CD using iTunes and then re-ripped to .WAVs using CDex. (I used iTunes to burn the CD because most of the files in question are Apple Lossless and I don't know of a good way to convert them to .WAV without this intermediate step.) Files I've ripped directly from CDs (concert recordings, for example, that I burn to DVD-A to reduce the number of discs in the car) have been fine.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used the free program iso-burner to create the DVD after the ISO files were created by Adobeman's program.

You can find the program here:
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm
Old 08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
here's another 100% free ISO burning software. But, I have never tried it in the TL. Works for the Wii though :p

http://www.imgburn.com/
Old 08-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Pz_
Instructor

You guys know where I could get a copy of the original DVD-A demo disc? I picked up the car used and it was not included with it. From the sounds of it, I may be missing out here.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

i'm struggling with the process here. i downlloaded the zip file. drag n dropped about 8 albums to diff wav folders. ran the "makedvda" file and get the prompts to make one file and convert. i then get "the system could not find specified path "mkisofs" is not recOGNIZED, operable program or batch file. but, after that it says done, iso complete. says to hit a key, i do and three times, then disapears, n nothing...advice?? please pm me at fade_to_black999@yahoo thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced

there is a easier way just download this and add tracks and burn
http://www.4shared.com/file/11460321...table.html?s=1
Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
redsox, you can download DVD-Audio solo which will give you a few free tires of burning DVD-A data.
Please note,,, YOU MUST USE DVD-R disc's. DVD+R will not work.

Also, I havea program called Ulead something..[ forgot full name ] but im able to create dvd-a's that way too.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 AM
6th Gear

how do u get it to work on a mac book
Old 05-11-2011, 07:36 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by amarj32
how do u get it to work on a mac book
You probably don't unless you can boot XP on it. Then maybe....

There's another thread around here somewhere for doing DVD-A on a Mac.

User Rimz did this guide http://www.tloftulsa.com/dvda/ It has both Mac and PC

Run this search http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...e.com+dvda+mac and you will see many other threads about DVDA on Mac.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DVD-R Dual Layer Discs?

Has anyone been able to make a DVD-A and got it to work in their TL ELS system using a DVD-R Dual Layer disc? I know that we have to use DVD-R vs DVD+R...but haven't found any info online or in the forum about Dual Layer discs and if anyone has even attempted it.
Why am I asking? I've created many working DVD-As however I have some concert albums that are greater than 4.7GB. I can delete some files but I'd rather keep the entire album intact so that the transitions are clearer and more seamless. These Dual Layer discs aren't cheap so I'd rather see if someone has experience trying to make a DVD-A with them before I buy them. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure why people are saying DVD+R/RWs can't be used. I have two DVD-As in my changer right now and they're one of each. One DVD+R and one DVD+RW and they play just fine.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Intermediate

Fantastic post. Thank you very much Adobeman! I will be attempting this Saturday.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

I can not get it to work. I special needs when it comes to computers. I went to adobeman's site and tried to download. I get message stating I need Windows .NET (or something to that nature) and do I want to download. I go to site download. Then restart computer. Go back to adobeman's site try to download GUI and get same blasted message. WTH? I guess I will stick with MP3 cd's. I can get almost 100 mp3 on one disc. 6 disc changer that is almost 600 songs. OH well, good luck to anyone else that tries this.