Opinion needed on Speakers Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005 | 05:54 PM
Racer

Question Opinion needed on Speakers Setup

After reading the stock speaker specs thread, I have a question. Will it matter how many ohm is the impedance when I'm going to use aftermarket AMP as well?

Here's what I have in Mind for now:
Front - Alpine SPR-171A - Component
Rear - Alpine SPS-170A - Woofer
Sub - JL Audio JL8W0 - Sub

Inside Amp - Alpine MRV-F450
Subwoofer Amp - Alpine MRD-M301

Opinions, critique highly appreciated. If you have a working setup, please let me know.
Old 02-16-2005 | 01:13 AM
Racer

Anyone?
Old 02-17-2005 | 08:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Contivity
After reading the stock speaker specs thread, I have a question. Will it matter how many ohm is the impedance when I'm going to use aftermarket AMP as well?

Here's what I have in Mind for now:
Front - Alpine SPR-171A - Component
Rear - Alpine SPS-170A - Woofer
Sub - JL Audio JL8W0 - Sub

Inside Amp - Alpine MRV-F450
Subwoofer Amp - Alpine MRD-M301

Opinions, critique highly appreciated. If you have a working setup, please let me know.
The ohm impedance won't matter if you using the stock amp or an aftermarket amp for the front and rear components.
As for the subwoofer you won't have enough power to drive the subwoofer with the stock amp, so you'll have to at the very least put a subwoofer amp in.

The front and rear speakers you have in mind are perfect.

Why a JL 8" W0? Go with at least a JL 8" W3. Are you looking to put it in the rear deck? If so the W0 is still to deep and you'll have to cut the deck.

The inside alpine MRV-F450 amp is great. The subwoofer amp sucks go with a 250W rockford fosgate for the W0 or a 500W rockford fosgate for the W3.

I started off with pair of 8" W0 blew them in less than a week. Then I moved to a pair of 8" W3 they were great never had a problem. Now i got one 8" W6 which blows the doors off two 8" W3's.
Old 02-18-2005 | 12:27 AM
Racer

andym22: Thanx a lot dude... I really appreciate it...
Old 02-18-2005 | 06:30 AM
Now with i-Vtec

I'm more partial to Boston's for speakers and JL subs andJL amps. IMO they are some of the best and if you know anyone at a tweeter they can hook you up with 20% over their cost. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-19-2005 | 03:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

I highly recommend you upgrade your subs first before changing your tweeters. Since i've changed mine, i enjoy the sound so much more. check this out https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109815
Old 02-19-2005 | 08:20 AM
Racer

There are too many questions I have to ask to get an idea.. but generalities.

How much do you wanna spend total?
Do you want it LOUD or do you want it to sound crystal Clear??
Can you think you can tell the difference between high and low end speakers?

JL makes a good amp and sub for the money, pretty good quality and price. Rockford = decent, not as good as JL and no where near good. High End = Zapco, McIntosh, DLS, some others...

Speakers JL again makes good SUBS, decent components.. I too like Boston's a good speaker and very good for the price. Components are all about what you want to spend. High End but $$ = Focal, DLS, Rainbow, etc....

I personally love DLS stuff.. not too bad $$ wise and really good. That is what I have in my car.

If you can afford it and want pretty decent stuff get JL audio subs and amps, Boston components. go with the W3 (sub)at least for the price but I DEF recommend a ported enclosure for our cars as you can port it through the existing sub hole OR like I did through the ski hole. There is absolutely NO rattle anywhere and it sounds really good coming in through the cabin.

I hopefully will have some pics soon.. I know I have been saying this for a month now, but soon....

I also have the dvd-nav conversion done...
Old 02-20-2005 | 02:28 AM
Racer

I actually looking to spend about 1500 - 2000 for the whole setup including installation and all. I used to have Focal on my old car, and I love it. I can hear the difference between my Acura's speaker and my old car (Celica) especially when they have sounds like dripping rain etc... However, comparing Focal Utopia and MBQuart QDS, I can't really feel the difference... I like crystal clear sound (SQ) much more than SPL, but can't afford the Utopia class speaker. I think on my Celica i had the K2 or the Polyglass... can't remember which one.. My friend who had an accord has MBQuart QDS speakers and I like it, but once again, the price is steep...
Old 02-20-2005 | 02:31 AM
Racer

Velfarre: Is it possible to put the sub into the slot where the current sub is, because if the sub is in the trunk, you won't get the sound to the cabin as well compared to where the current sub is... and there's a possibility of rattling if the trunk is not dynamatted.
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

No its not, i just took out the old sub and used that space as a port. and w/ that sub there was no rattling , but w/ the 12's i have now, needs dynamat
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:32 PM
Racer

Con,

You can use a ported enclosure and pass it through either the original sub location or the seat pass thru. that way there is NO rattle and NO dynomat needed.

JL makes good stuff and you can get away with that. I know what you mean about hearing the sound.. If you can't afford the Utopia line I would go with the Polyglass line.. Not too bad, but I try and stay away from Focal as their customer service isn't so great if you blow a speaker. Look at like 1 month lead time to get a blown speaker fixed.

JL is good about this stuff. MB Quart makes good stuff but their older stuff was way better. I would go with JL. They fit your budget and they are nice. I would say buy the biggest amps you can get. Get 1 -12 W3 even a W6 (very efficient, but can take more power) and use a ported enclosure.

Let me know what you decide. Install shouldn't be bad either.. I would say though that you shold spend as much as you can on the amps. The more power the better.. If you can't get the top speakers get the JL's.

Ryan
Old 02-21-2005 | 12:02 AM
I need 2 more gears

1500-2000 can buy you a great setup from HU to subs and amps. Go on e-bay. Headunit: Alpine cda-9813,9815,9831 for around 300-400 tops. Speakers go with Eclipse Point Source 6.5" coaxials. Forget components in the front. If you want great sound a great pair of components will cost 600.00 easy. Thats for a great paid not a very good pair. Rears go with Eclpise also. The 6.5 point source speakers have neodymium magnets and a shallow mounting depth. The speaker openings in our cars only allows for a shallow mounting depth. Go with a speaker with a neodymium magnet. Sub: get one 12" Orion DVC about 250.00. Far superior sub compared with JL. Amp get a Hifonics Zeus mono amp class D 500watts or better. Orion DVC 12" are 500watts RMS and up. Don't even amp your speakers for now. The Alpine cda9813,9815 or 9831 put out a lot of power and your speakers will sound great. Later on get a really nice 4 channel amp for your other speakers. BTW you can find those Eclipse point source speakers on e-bay for around 70.00 shipped a pair. Eclipse is top of the line without being a rip off, other speaker rip consumers off. They delevop great products, but screw you on pricing. Do you think it costs that much more to build a 500.00 paid of speakers opposed to a 50.00 paid? Not even close, get this setup and you will thank me later.
Old 02-21-2005 | 02:34 AM
Racer

My problem with putting too much big stuff is that I try to maximize the cabin space and do not want to lose the spare tire access, which is why I come up with my original setup.

vidoprof: I'm not sure what you mean by ported enclosure, do you mean an extra box in the trunk? What amp do you recommend ( 4 channel + 2 channel) or straight (5.1 amp)?

sbuswell: I have heard good words about eclipse, but have not heard it yet... I will try to go to a few car audio shop and see some demo on that...
Old 02-21-2005 | 03:50 PM
Racer

Con,

Sbus is correct Eclipse makes good stuff. only problem is with EBAY stuff, eclipse from what i remember will not warranty unless it is installed by authorized dealer. They do make REALLY good equipment though.. I had their 12's in my old accord (Eclipse Aluminums). I also have a headunit the newer one if you want I am selling that soon on ebay I can get you a quote for it.

Other than that though.. A ported enclosure is kinda like your regular box instead the speakers are INSIDE totally and then there is a PORT or HOLE that comes out of the box where all the BASS comes from. It's not ANOTHER box, just ONE box the sub goes in and the PORT goes right into the pass thru in our car. Sounds good.. I will try and post pics for you on here later or if you want PM me with your emal and I will send you a bunch of my setup. I can still get to my spare and I have 2 HUGE 12's in there, but I am a basshead so you don't need 2 just get a GOOD 12 only one and you will have plenty of room in your trunk.

As for the amps well I personally don't like Hifonics stuff anymore, they USED to be great, but now I like JL, but if you can afford it get Zapco, even the reference series is better than most out there. I would recommend a mono block for the sub just get as much power as you can afford. (YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOOMUCH POWER; CLEAN POWER) I would go with a 4 channel for the interior speakers.

Here is the thing. YOU CAN GET AWAY with especially if you want Sound Quality just a really good pair of components. Get a three way if you want. spend the money on them. Dynaudio makes REALLY GOOD Stuff if you can find a distributor or DLS or Focal. Then you don't need rear speakers. YOu really don't. Butmake sure you have enough power going to them though. I have 250W (per side)going to my 3 way components and they sound amazing. The thing is IF you have really clean NONClipped power going to speakers they can handle a TON of power. My speakers are rated at 150W RMS, but I can put 250 or more to them because there is NO SIGNAL distortion, it's clean power. The focal utopia's have an RMS of like 100W or maybe 125W but i have a friend that puts 200W a side all day long because he uses Zapco amps which give clean power.

IT really comes down to DO YOU NEED it to scream and if not then get better speakers and LISTEN to the music, me I want to HEAR it and LISTEEN to it. That's why I want it LOUD.

Ryan
Old 02-21-2005 | 04:35 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

I had one 12" JLw6 installed in my TL. I left the fronts the same, and the sound is CLEAN. It hits hard enough to keep the sound clean & fresh not to mention there is no rattle. I wasnt looking to STOMP, thus I'm very pleased with the speaker. I had two 12" JLw0's in my old accord and this setup hits 10 times cleaner and better.

As for setup, I had it custom built with a flush panel that takes up barely any space. It sits fulsh at the back portion of the trunk & leaves the spare-tire area easily accessible.

Old 02-21-2005 | 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RawDogg
I had one 12" JLw6 installed in my TL. I left the fronts the same, and the sound is CLEAN. It hits hard enough to keep the sound clean & fresh not to mention there is no rattle. I wasnt looking to STOMP, thus I'm very pleased with the speaker. I had two 12" JLw0's in my old accord and this setup hits 10 times cleaner and better.

As for setup, I had it custom built with a flush panel that takes up barely any space. It sits fulsh at the back portion of the trunk & leaves the spare-tire area easily accessible.

Do you have any photos of the install?
Old 02-21-2005 | 11:48 PM
Racer

Let me know if this works.. not sure how to do this yet but here are a couple of pics I have for now.. I will try and take more tomorrow or so of the complete install with Navi DVD conversion and start a new thread.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v723/viidoprof/

Hopefully it works.. Like I said not much there but you can see kinda what it looks like.

Ryan
Old 02-22-2005 | 12:48 AM
Racer

vidoprof: Your setup looks great.. I'm not sure if I want to change the HU since I have the NAV and the DVD-Audio... I'm also thinking of the Vsokolov unit that you have there
Old 02-22-2005 | 07:53 AM
Racer

I didn't change my headunit, although now thinking back I WOULD have because I would have gotten a much better output from the aftermarket preamp in the HU. The Eclipse I have is 5V preouts and the stock is somewhere around 1.5V, so I would have gotten alot more "juice' from an aftermarket. But I totally know what you are talking about with the stock it just looks well factory.

Ryan
Old 02-23-2005 | 01:33 AM
Racer

Ryan, I believe yours is Nav, so how you route the nav audio output to the new HU?
Old 02-23-2005 | 03:40 PM
Racer

Not sure what you mean new HU.. I do have a NAVI in my car. Basically they split the signal running from the NAVI and the DVD conversion box. I have a switch I have to flip to go between sources. I also have another switch that cuts the XM off and plays the Audio for the DVD player. I didn't care about 2 switches myself so it wasn't a big deal.

I will hopefully have a thread by tomorrow with a TON more pics.

Ryan
Old 02-23-2005 | 06:36 PM
Racer

I'd be waiting for it