Ooops, I killed the back up lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Ooops, I killed the back up lights!!

I am in the process of installing a Kenwood head unit with nav. I got the camera that goes with it. I ran the back up light wire for the camera to one of the back up lights in the trunk lid. I had tested it ahead of time to be sure I had the right wire (green/wh). I tapped into it, tried the the circuit.. poof, no back up lights. The circuit went dead. I disconnected that wire for the camera. Now I need a proper place to connect to.

I checked both fuse boxes and the 7.5A fuse in each was fine.

Is there another place I should check to get them going again?

Also, anyone know a good place to tap into that circuit to get power?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
It was a brown wire from what I remember. Look at datmrman's thread with the Dom's install (search for it) and it gives the right wire to tap into
Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Suzuka Master

thanks cs. It seems that I tapped the right wire. The problem I have now is why the back-up circuit is dead. It will take some trouble shooting. I checked the fuses and both are good. I tested my tap wire, the wire that goes to the camera, to ground to be sure I hadn't somehow grounded it and it was ok. When I check for voltage at the back up lights, it's dead. I'll check the fuses again since that is the simplest place. No doubt that I added a bit more load to the back up wiring but not that much.

If someone has a wiring harness layout, that would help. If the fuses do check ok again, I'l have to work my way back from the trunk area to the front and look for a connection to see if it's loose or something.

My main concern was that there might be a relay in the system.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stew4HD, First the radio code and now the back up lights. You're having the install from hell buddy. Let me check I think I have the circuit diagram.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

KOP No kidding. I guess that the breaks for undertaking this kind of thing. My friends think I am fricken nuts for tearing apart my new car... They forget I did it to my F-150 when I got it but is was much simpler.

The need for the radio codes was my fault for not taking the discs out before I took it apart.

I am about done with the head unit wiring including the PAC-JACK steering wheel control. It works!! I put one on my truck recently, so I knew what to do. The nav unit works.. showed me at my house.. imagine that!

I have built my new amp board, similar to what I did for Aggie.

A couple more hours and I'll start putting it all back together (barring any more hiccups!)... back to the sauna.. I mean Houston heat and humidity! Weeeee.

It's gotta be the power for the back up light circuit that I have killed, somehow. I check the connector at the divider from cabin to trunk, no power on the green wire there either... when I get done wiring up the amp, I'll tackle that problem.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stew4HD.

I found the wiring diagram. I just PMed you.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the PM. It looks like I am going to have to take this to the dealer and get the roay shafting. Not only is the back up light not working, the AC isn't working, I can't roll up the windows, the factory clock stopped working ... who knows what else is wrong. All I did was pull out the old head unit, add an after market unit and now this.

I can't find one single blown fuse!

I can't believe it. I am thinking that I need to pull the dash back apart and see if I did something to that main plug behind the radio.

So yeah, KingofPain, it's become an install hell!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Update:

I finally found the blown fuse and got the back up ligths working. They are tied to fuse 21 in the dash. The clock now works too as well as the door switches... WHEW ... I'll tackle the AC problem tomorrow.

LOL, I'll re-connect up the KP window unit as well. I had thought that maybe the KP unit was keeping the windows from being controlled by the inside switches, so I took it out.

I don't hear the compressor kick on when I turn the AC on and off plus, no cold air is coming out of the vents.

On the positive side, teh new head unit sounds so good and that CAS sub box really rocks. Pics coming tomorrow... was not too proud with having so much trouble.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Update, part deaux:

I got all systems up and working! Just have to know which fuse does what! So many fuses control multiple systems. Whew, I don't have to pull out the unit.. just yet.. when the RIGHT Sirius adapter comes in, I'll have to pull it again.

I will try reconnecting the back-up light connector for the reverse camera in the AM, hopefully it won't blow the fuse, again...

learnign a lot about TLs going through this!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please provide me with some information on how to fix that, i have the same issues u had and its all so gay >_< can find any blown fuse or anything
Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 PM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a digital multi meter is always a good investment when dealing with car electronics
Old 08-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by kakarot305
please provide me with some information on how to fix that, i have the same issues u had and its all so gay >_< can find any blown fuse or anything
replace fuse 21 as said above, sometimes they may not look broken when in fact they are.