Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisil
Pie Makes an A/V cable adapter that sends audio and video through the botom of the ipod and allows for the ipod to charge via any 12/v connection, it comes with the in line fuse all you need to to do is wire tap this somewhere and your good to go. sure you cant change songs from the sterring wheel but you cant hand the backseat passangers your stering wheel either

i bought the P.I.E. AV-POD and it didn't work with my iPod video... no sound or picture. worked with regular iPods, minis, and nanos... for sound. I have the earliest version of the ipod video, don't know if that makes a difference or not. It may be compatible with yours...
Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has any one else experienced issues with the a/v adapter ?

and yes i just got my ipod last month so i hope its compatible with the v5.5 of the ipod video
Old 04-01-2007, 02:30 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Wife's 5G iPod works without problems ...

I was having a bunch of problems with my HON2Y and my 3rd gen iPod, but we used her 5G on a recent road trip and it worked flawlessly. Haven't given it back since.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Any updates? or did everyone give up?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Pro

I honestly think that this is a lost cause. Everytime I call USA Spec, they say that they're working on it but they've been saying that for quite some time now and I don't think it's a top priority for them there to be fixing this skipping issue.

I actually just re-ordered the old unit (HON2) from them because even though this was a buggy version in itself, I remember it definitely didn't have any issues with skipping.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
I honestly think that this is a lost cause. Everytime I call USA Spec, they say that they're working on it but they've been saying that for quite some time now and I don't think it's a top priority for them there to be fixing this skipping issue.

I actually just re-ordered the old unit (HON2) from them because even though this was a buggy version in itself, I remember it definitely didn't have any issues with skipping.
I thought that the HON2 and the HON2Y was the same unit just comes with a different harness. The first buggy unit was the HON and then they offered the HON2 which is the updated of fixed version of the HON. The Y was added to the harness so you don't have to get the Y adapter and that is sold as the HON2Y. I could be wrong but I think that this is the way it went. Either way USA-Spec will never get anymore of my money!!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

I'm somewhat disappointed a fix hasn't come out yet. Has any other alternative come out that lets you control it form the steering wheel, yet?

Does anyone else think the problem might be loose connections at or inthe little box? Maybe a loose connection inside?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMROCKS
I thought that the HON2 and the HON2Y was the same unit just comes with a different harness. The first buggy unit was the HON and then they offered the HON2 which is the updated of fixed version of the HON. The Y was added to the harness so you don't have to get the Y adapter and that is sold as the HON2Y. I could be wrong but I think that this is the way it went. Either way USA-Spec will never get anymore of my money!!
You're correct in that the HON2 was supposed to be an updated version of the buggy HON. The HON2y was actually supposed to be a fix to the buggy HON2 but it also came with a Y adapter. Sad thing is that the software fixes that they made to the actual unit got rid of some of the previous bugs but also created new ones.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tenuki
I'm somewhat disappointed a fix hasn't come out yet. Has any other alternative come out that lets you control it form the steering wheel, yet?

Does anyone else think the problem might be loose connections at or inthe little box? Maybe a loose connection inside?
You can try the Neo car adapter. It's essentially the same thing as the USA Spec but it just costs a bit more. You can order it from www.mp3yourcar.com.

It might be an issue with a loose connection but that's pretty unlikely since most of the people on here have been experiencing the same issues.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:41 PM
TCU Frogs!

Here's my update...It's been about 3 months now and the USASpec has not skipped once.

I've been trying to listen to my iPod a lot lately just to record how many times the skipping would occur. I have had 0 the past 3 months.

So I really don't know what to say. It has a mind of its own.

BTW, I have a 5th gen 60GB iPod.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MoHaWk2003
Here's my update...It's been about 3 months now and the USASpec has not skipped once.

I've been trying to listen to my iPod a lot lately just to record how many times the skipping would occur. I have had 0 the past 3 months.

So I really don't know what to say. It has a mind of its own.

BTW, I have a 5th gen 60GB iPod.
There have been some like you who have reported no problems with skipping. I wonder if it has anything to do with the kind of iPod that's being used. I have a 30GB video iPod and it definitely skips. Maybe having the 60GB one makes a difference. It's definitely something worth looking into.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 PM
TCU Frogs!

well, i DID have the problem (post #17). it just seemed to occur less and less before going away totally now.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MoHaWk2003
well, i DID have the problem (post #17). it just seemed to occur less and less before going away totally now.
I see. Glad to hear that the issue somehow got fixed for you. I wish the same thing would happen to the rest of us
Old 05-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Pro

Update for me,

My left side audio issues are definitely still fixed (post the cable swap) but I still get the skipping multiple times a day.

Of course I am living with it but I really would like a fix (not holding my breath though)
Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by brianp6621
Update for me,

My left side audio issues are definitely still fixed (post the cable swap) but I still get the skipping multiple times a day.

Of course I am living with it but I really would like a fix (not holding my breath though)
how did you fix the left side audio issues? I've been trying to figure that out forever!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

what are these left side audio issues? and should I spend my $$ on this unit, i'm not getting a very good feeling!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how did you fix the left side audio issues? I've been trying to figure that out forever!
Left side issues is when the audio will sway in and out playing only on the left channel. I had this issue with the Hon2 that you say your ordering (the old one) CI upgraded me to the new Hon2y and all my problems stopped. No skipping, no audio sway. Been perfect for close to 3 months now
Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Advanced

I just thought I'd chime in and say that I finally got the USASpec and installed it yesterday. I've only had it in for a day, but everything seems fine so far. No skipping, no audio issues.

I was a little skeptical myself, but I decided to go for it anyway. I love being able to change the songs with the steering wheel controls.

By the way, with the help of the instructions in the Garage, this was one of the easier installs to do. I didn't need any special tools and was able to unplug and plug the adapter in with just my hands. It probably took me around 45 minutes to do it. Piece of cake!

I'm happy with it so far!

-Brian
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Pro

Read this thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=151
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

well, after using a friends POS fm transmitter (Monster) for a few days, I decided i'm going to give this a shot.

thanks to all for the good info.... I see some places selling cheaper than others... hmmmm.....
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lembowski
Left side issues is when the audio will sway in and out playing only on the left channel. I had this issue with the Hon2 that you say your ordering (the old one) CI upgraded me to the new Hon2y and all my problems stopped. No skipping, no audio sway. Been perfect for close to 3 months now
I had the HON2y and I remember it did get rid of this problem but what I didn't like was the other bugs that it came with like the skipping. Because of this, I went back to the regular HON2 unit and have been using it since. I haven't had the skipping problem but that left side audio problem is still there.

any ideas on how to get rid of it without going to the HON2y unit?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Pro

I had the HON2y and I remember it did get rid of this problem but what I didn't like was the other bugs that it came with like the skipping. Because of this, I went back to the regular HON2 unit and have been using it since. I haven't had the skipping problem but that left side audio problem is still there.

any ideas on how to get rid of it without going to the HON2y unit?
You just not reading my posts?

Several people, including myself, have fixed the left side issue by replacing the cable from the back of the HU to the HON unit. I was never able to determine if this was a defective cable issue or just something that got resolved by completely reinstalling that cable, but it worked for me (and others)
Old 05-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ytsejamr
I just thought I'd chime in and say that I finally got the USASpec and installed it yesterday. I've only had it in for a day, but everything seems fine so far. No skipping, no audio issues.

I was a little skeptical myself, but I decided to go for it anyway. I love being able to change the songs with the steering wheel controls.

By the way, with the help of the instructions in the Garage, this was one of the easier installs to do. I didn't need any special tools and was able to unplug and plug the adapter in with just my hands. It probably took me around 45 minutes to do it. Piece of cake!

I'm happy with it so far!

-Brian
Just thought I'd chime in again and say that my unit has started to skip. It's pretty random and doesn't happen all that much. But it's doing it.

I hope they fix this someday.

-Brian
Old 05-26-2007, 10:42 PM
6th Gear

I'll chime in too.

I purchased a HON2Y unit from Crutchfield, and installed it today in my 2004 TL w/ NAV. Everything sounds great, and after about 45 minutes of use, I have not encountered any skips with my 60G iPod. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to perform smoothly.

What's interesting is the HON2Y unit I received has a note saying that USA SPEC replaced the "Playlist" mode with "Hybrid" mode. It allows you to use the buttons on the radio to select your predefined playlists as usual, but also allows direct control with the iPods controls. The iPod itself is not locked to "ok to disconnect." Very cool!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Advanced

I've been running the HON2Y for several months. I had no skipping during much of the first week after install, but now it skips quite a bit. My commute is about 30 minutes each way. Every day it skips. Skips always come in pairs, about a seond apart from each other. The second skip is longer than the first, but neither one lasts more than a second. I can count on about two sets of skips in the morning and again in the evening.

Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like the skips often come after I have changed tracks with the steering wheel controls, but not always. This past week it also seems like the skips are getting a bit longer and more pronounced.

The sound quality of the direct cable connection is so much better than FM transmitters or cassette adapters, that I'm enduring these annoyances without too much complaint.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 AM
9th Gear

hon2y

Help!! My ipod locks itself on "ok to disconnect" then sometimes the screen goes into the normal menu mode on the ipod. how do i get it to the menu mode quicker? id rather control my ipod from the menu mode. thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 10:24 AM
6th Gear

delrey737,

Is your HON2Y in hybrid mode (dip #2 on, in the newer units)? If so, the manual says that during the first 30 seconds of operation, the iPod will flip back and forth between the "ok to disconnect" screen and the normal menu. After that, the unit should function fine.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered P.I.M.P

Originally Posted by kmtoner
I've been running the HON2Y for several months. I had no skipping during much of the first week after install, but now it skips quite a bit. My commute is about 30 minutes each way. Every day it skips. Skips always come in pairs, about a seond apart from each other. The second skip is longer than the first, but neither one lasts more than a second. I can count on about two sets of skips in the morning and again in the evening.

Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like the skips often come after I have changed tracks with the steering wheel controls, but not always. This past week it also seems like the skips are getting a bit longer and more pronounced.
This is the exact same thing that happens to me. But it doesn't bother me too too much because it probably happens once in a trip so I just ignore it.

But it is definately a problem. I guess the track skipping is a big thing because I'm constantly changing tracks.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

^I've had the same symptoms. If it skips, it's always two really close together. On the second skip, it always gets knocked out of random mode (and the track counter resets) and I have to hit the random button on the stereo to get it back to random mode.

Also, I do have the audio shifting to the left problem. This must be a cabling issue because I have to jiggle the cable under my seat to get rid of the problem. The shifting seems to happen a lot when the road is bumpy or I am making a hard turn. I wouldn't have expected a solid state device to be this sensitive to movement.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

me too....

I installed my hon2y yesterday, the install was a piece of of cake thanks to the great instructions in the garage

My unit did the 2-skip thing about 2 minutes into the first time operating it. I knew about this issue from reading it, and when I heard the first skip I thought , ok it was just a fluke.. then 1-2 seconds later it did it again.... It has not done it since, but i've only used it ~30mins. I really hope this is not a re-occurring issue.....

On a positive note, the thing sounds fawking amazing!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 AM
Oakland Team Nighthawker

I'm looking to buy this and have it installed in the Oakland/SF area.

Any suggestions for folks who can do this well? I looked at the posters in this and related threads and didn't see anyone from the bay.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Pro

I'm gonna get rid of my USA Spec adapter for now and try the new DICE adapter that's out there. Apparently it has Text display capability and there haven't been any reported issues with skipping or sound. Everyone should try it
Old 06-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Pro

I'm gonna get rid of my USA Spec adapter for now and try the new DICE adapter that's out there. Apparently it has Text display capability and there haven't been any reported issues with skipping or sound. Everyone should try it
I'd consider it if I could keep XM but I'm not sure I'm ready to give it up.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by brianp6621
I'd consider it if I could keep XM but I'm not sure I'm ready to give it up.
True. I would only recommend this route if you're ready to give up XM or don't use it.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

For those that have encountered skipping problems, can you list what iPod you have? I've read the entire thread and it's not clear if the skip only happens on certain iPods vs. all iPod types.

I have a 5th Gen. Video iPod and am considering getting this adapter (as I want to keep XM) but am a little concerned about this skipping problem (otherwise, it sounds like a reasonable solution).

Thanks,
-Brian
2004 TL, Nav
Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
04 TL, 5th gen 30GB Ipod, i experience the skipping.

I personally feel it is only a minor nuisance. I will still purchase the unit again even knowing about this issue. It happens rarely and is such a brief blip that the benefits far outway this nuisance.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 PM
7th Gear

07 TL Type S, 5th Gen (Video) 60 GB iPod, I experience the skipping, it's actually a skip followed by a 1 second pause of the iPod, rather annoying. It's very random, I can go a couple hours without a skip, then have 5 skips in a 30 minute period...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Advanced

By the way . . . I emailed USASpec just to let them know that there are still people out there with the skipping problem. Here's there reply:

"We're still working on a software update for the TL skipping problem. Current ETA for the solution is about 1 month. I'll put your name on our call list and will contact you once the new software becomes available."

We'll see how long 1 month turns into.

-Brian
Old 06-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

190 plus posts

Alright this skipping is starting to really bother me now.

I don't use or plan on using XM.

Currently I have:
06 TL w. Nav
5th Gen 30Gig Ipod
Hon2y adaptor
I use the direct mode

I like everything about the setup minus the skipping. Any suggestions for another product that gives the same funcitionality minus the skipping?

Thanks,
Scrap
Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Instructor

i wish the pie X3 i have was controlled through the steering wheele but you guys say the skipping issue sucks so bad i dont mind using th eipod to change videos and songs, oh yeah and the pie X3 even offerd a special av-pod adapter that lets me play audio and via - doms unit i play video, al while it charges the ipod, but no text and no way to change songs unless you use the ipods tricky wheele, volume is the only adjustment i have from the stering wheel.

Quick Reply: Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y