Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hm......should i wait til they get this fixed before ordering this?? is it really that bad of a defect?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Pro

Another Update

Okay so I've been using the updated unit now for about a week now and the issue really is NOT fixed. Honestly, I think it even skips more now than it did with the old defective unit. I've had the double skipping issue occur a good number of times and sometimes it happens more times than one in the same car ride.

This isn't too good for USA Spec
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Okay so I've been using the updated unit now for about a week now and the issue really is NOT fixed. Honestly, I think it even skips more now than it did with the old defective unit. I've had the double skipping issue occur a good number of times and sometimes it happens more times than one in the same car ride.

This isn't too good for USA Spec

Have you contacted USA Spec about this yet? Curious to know what they have to say.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
Have you contacted USA Spec about this yet? Curious to know what they have to say.
Actually I did try and call them but they're closed until the 9th or 10th of this month. I'll give them a call when they re-open and let them know what is going on.

Pretty annoying though I gotta admit

I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Advanced

SJ, I know I speak for everyone on this thread that we really appreciate your suffering through the "bleeding edge" on this issue, and keeping us updated on the progress. I feel terribly that you're going thru this, but you're saving the rest of us from having to do so as well.

For whatever it's worth...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Angry

Got my replcement unit friday and installed it saturday. Worked great for about 10 min and then the same problems showed up! Skipping while listning to XM, Sometimes I can't even get the XM screen to show all the info and I get no audio at all, CDC mode sometimes will not give me CD-6 for AUX mode. Just seems to be very quirky. I removed the unit just to make sure my factory setup is still working OK and everything works just like it should. Reinstall the USA-Spec and the BS returns. This SUCKS!!! USA-Spec did nothing but resend me the same hunk of shit that I had in the first place. I havn't tried an IPod because I don't have one, but I'm sure that it is fu**ed up as well. I can't beleave this. Why would they send out a "fixed" product when they know it wasen't "fixed". They will be hearing from me as soon as they come back to work!!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Received and installed my replacement on Saturday. It skipped a couple times that day. But driving to and from work today, which takes a least an hour each way, it never skipped. Usually I would get at least three each way. Not totally convinced yet, but this is a great start.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by drat19
SJ, I know I speak for everyone on this thread that we really appreciate your suffering through the "bleeding edge" on this issue, and keeping us updated on the progress. I feel terribly that you're going thru this, but you're saving the rest of us from having to do so as well.

For whatever it's worth...
Thanks man! I'm just glad to be helping everyone else out on here. I'll let you guys know what I find out as soon as I can get in touch with USA Spec.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMROCKS
Got my replcement unit friday and installed it saturday. Worked great for about 10 min and then the same problems showed up! Skipping while listning to XM, Sometimes I can't even get the XM screen to show all the info and I get no audio at all, CDC mode sometimes will not give me CD-6 for AUX mode. Just seems to be very quirky. I removed the unit just to make sure my factory setup is still working OK and everything works just like it should. Reinstall the USA-Spec and the BS returns. This SUCKS!!! USA-Spec did nothing but resend me the same hunk of shit that I had in the first place. I havn't tried an IPod because I don't have one, but I'm sure that it is fu**ed up as well. I can't beleave this. Why would they send out a "fixed" product when they know it wasen't "fixed". They will be hearing from me as soon as they come back to work!!
Yeh, the same thing happened to me. Looks like we need to get back on their case to get workin' again. This doesn't make them look too good though
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLscrappy
Received and installed my replacement on Saturday. It skipped a couple times that day. But driving to and from work today, which takes a least an hour each way, it never skipped. Usually I would get at least three each way. Not totally convinced yet, but this is a great start.
Yeh, I think the number of times it might skip changed but all in all, the unit shouldn't be skipping at all. Before I upgraded to the HON2y adapter, I actually had the original HON adapter and as buggy as it was in terms of interface, it never skipped my iPod once. I'm really thinking about just going back to that version. Seems like the safer and better bet overall in my opinion at this point until USA Spec can confidently release an updated version that has definitely fixed the bug.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Any new news?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Advanced

I'm getting the skipping now too . Very disappointing as I love the set-up with sirius and ipod. Hopefully they figure out the fix soon (and update all of our units - got mine through the Cdn dealer; not sure how this works).
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Has anyone successfully contacted them since the holidays? I emailed them a few days after Christmas and have still not heard back. I heard they were gone until the 9th. Are they back?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Contacted USASpec this evening. I still have a skipping problem but the problem is 50% better than it was before. Judy from USA Spec was very helpful and will pass on my concerns to the engineer. They are being very helpful with this problem. Lets work them to get it resolved. So in other words 'Be nice" when you call them.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Instructor

I haven't even called yet. I should probably go ahead and do that just to get my incident reported. I've been waiting until there was a resolution so I wouldn't have to call twice. Definitely will be nice. As a software developer I totally understand how some bugs go unnoticed during testing.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Cruisin'

bttt

Anyone know the status of the firmware update?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a random thought for people with skipping problem. Could this be because of the cable that runs between the USA Spec unit and the stereo? May be one of the connecting wires is loose?

When I got my unit from USA Spec that (Y) cable was faulty and I couldn't play my IPod. I had to have it replaced by them.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Pro

how often does it skip, and can someone describe the skipping? i put in one yesterday and haven't noticed it........yet....
Old 01-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Dreamer

With all the problems with the "updated" unit, I think I'll stick with my defective unit for now. My skips only occur once every few days and never more than once per trip. Keep us posted guys and thank you for being the guinea pigs.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Direct or Playlist mode? Aux Dipswitch on or off?

Just installed the "Y" tonight. Only played it for about 15 minutes, but no skipping. I do not have the updated software. I'm wondering if the playback mode makes a difference? I also wonder if the position of dipswitch 1 (the aux input) position makes a difference?

I'm using direct mode and no aux input (both dip switches to off).

For those who have the skipping problem, what mode are you using? Do you have the aux dipswitch set to off or on?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

I was using the playlist mode. I also didn't notice skipping until I had used it for a while. I didn't notice in my first, initial tests.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Advanced

This latest line of thought on this thread is big. I'm very anxious to hear from the others here who have reported skipping, as to whether it occurs in Playlist mode, Direct Mode, or both.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Mine is in direct mode.

Anyone know if the non y verision has the problem with skipping as well?

I don't use XM and will not be adding any other devices to the system.

Scrap
Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Dreamer

Mine's in direct mode and I am not using the Aux input. I didn't notice the skipping for a while as well and it's still fairly sporadic.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Advanced

iPod in Direct mode & sirius via RCA.

Skipping primarily upon start up (BOTH Ipod & Sat ).

I can live with it if I have to. I prefer this set-up (even with the skipping) now and I can't go back to FM modulator or cassette adapter .
Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by newin96
iPod in Direct mode & sirius via RCA.

Skipping primarily upon start up (BOTH Ipod & Sat ).

I can live with it if I have to. I prefer this set-up (even with the skipping) now and I can't go back to FM modulator or cassette adapter .
How much worse did you find the cassette adapter to be?

I used a cassette adapter with my iPod on my '03 Impala a few years back and it was not too bad. I have Acura MusicLink now with my '06 TL, and while the sound is great (and it doesn't skip!), I'm looking at the USASpec solution because I'm completely fed up with not having iPod control, and having to use those blasted voice prompts. On some road trips I'll stick with a playlist for a fair amount of time, but more often than not I like to surf around (I have 4000+ songs on my iPod).

After the repeated reports on this forum/thread, I'm not willing to risk the USASpec solution if it's likely to skip (and I also use/need to keep XM). If a cassette adapter is acceptable, I may go with it instead. (I plan to pick one up to try in any case (will return if not acceptable), but your feedback here would still be helpful.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Cruisin'

used a casette adapter the last 3 weeks (since I got my Ipod for christmas)... sound was decent, however there was a constant humming sound that started to drive me nuts on some of my classical music. After some experiments, it is the TL's tape deck that makes a little humming sound.

Needless to say I just received my USASpec yesterday (was backordered for 4 weeks), and it works great, no skipping, no humming, perfecto! I also use mine in direct mode and no AUX input (disabled via dipswitch)...

When i called the store I bought it from, they said they were waiting for the "lastest release", thats why it was backordered for so long.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Advanced

drat19,
Just as Mickey stated (but I didn't know the hum was from the TL's tapedeck).
Old 01-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Appreciate the add'l info, guys.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drat19
Appreciate the add'l info, guys.
I know this is an Acura forum but I am curious about the issue since I haven't read anything about this issue on any of the Honda forums. I have ordered the USA Spec unit for my '05 Accord EX Navi/XM. Could this be an Acura only issue?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Pro

anyone talk to them lately? Just wondering if they have fixed it completely?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Advanced

USASpec sent me their revamped box. So far, no skips. Their customer service was helpful and prompt, especially in refunding my deposit via PayPal. Circuit City installed it via my center consol armrest yesterday for $60 and did a nice job. So far so good. I'm running in Direct Mode. It's great to run through my whole library or any playlist I select using the steering wheel controls.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Slacker

Originally Posted by kmtoner
USASpec sent me their revamped box. So far, no skips. Their customer service was helpful and prompt, especially in refunding my deposit via PayPal. Circuit City installed it via my center consol armrest yesterday for $60 and did a nice job. So far so good. I'm running in Direct Mode. It's great to run through my whole library or any playlist I select using the steering wheel controls.

Good news... I can order now!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kmtoner
Is this the updated updated unit or an older updated unit? I'm wondering cause USA Spec had an updated unit sent out to people and it supposedly fixed the skipping issue but it actually didn't. I was one of the first to suffer with this realization. I haven't talked to them in a couple weeks though.

If this is the newly updated unit, this is certainly great news. I should contact USA Spec immediately for a new unit.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Advanced

I can't say that this is a "double" upgrade of the PA11-HON2Y. The first box arrived from a distributor right after Christmas. I called USASpec and they advised me to return it to their factory and exchanged it with a new box around Jan. 15. A shipping receipt was included which said that the new box was a "replacement to address skipping issues."

I've played my 60gb Photo iPod using the unit this weekend for a total of maybe 3 hours without any skipping. I expect I'll use it about an hour each day this week during commutes. If I get skips, I'll certainly post the info here.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Advanced

Thank you (and to all the others on this board who had the courage to be the "test cases" on this (I certainly didn't have said courage!)). I will be getting with USASpec to arrange for my replacement ASAP.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs down Cassette Adapters Suck BTW...

I've seen several people in this thread ask/mention about the cassette adapter. Well, I just wanted to throw in my about them. Since all of the FM modulators suck and this USASpec doesn't sound to be consistent, I tried out the cassette adaptor made by Griffin. Needless to say; it sucked too. There was a constant humming/buzzing, the volume was inconsistent, and it would sometimes stop playing and "chase its tail" by getting into a loop of auto-reversing playback. If you tried to manipulate how it sits in the player with your finger, your worst enemy was bumps in the road. I called Griffin about all of this and after a long absence from the phone (after wanting to tell me to just go back to the store and exchange it without checking their knowledgebase for anything), the apathetic service agent returned with the news that it was not compatible with 3G TLs. Personally though, I think it is cheaply made and I pray that I didn't damage my cassette deck with it.

Quick advice:

Don't buy the Griffin Cassette adaptor or any cassette adaptor for the TL IMHO!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Regarding Cassette adapters, I tried a few and they vary greatly. I am currently using Monster's adapter and it actually sounds pretty good. There is a little bit of hiss, but not too noticable until volume is above 20 and ipod is in a quiet section. However, I still think I'm going to switch to the USASpec primarily for iPod charging and steering wheel controls and the improved sound quality is a secondary benefit.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhumbo
Regarding Cassette adapters, I tried a few and they vary greatly. I am currently using Monster's adapter and it actually sounds pretty good. There is a little bit of hiss, but not too noticable until volume is above 20 and ipod is in a quiet section. However, I still think I'm going to switch to the USASpec primarily for iPod charging and steering wheel controls and the improved sound quality is a secondary benefit.
This product solves the iPod charging problem when used in conjunction with a cassette adapter. I used it in previous cars and it works great. Obviously the key for sound quality is having a good cassette adapter (I did not use Belkin's...I had one leftover from a previous XM cassette integration I had done in a previous auto), but this power solution is excellent as a "partner" to it.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006
Old 01-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Pro

Second Software Fix Not Available Yet

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I contacted USA Spec yesterday and they said that the second software fix for the skipping issue is still not available. They're still currently working on getting the fix done. They told me to try back in a few weeks.

Once I get in touch with them again and find out that the new fix is available, I'll let everyone know.

Quick Reply: Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y