Old 01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
imo it sounds like the critical mass ul12 is the perfect sub for trew

but i dunno if he has the budget for it
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hell naw... I've already got a 12w6. and since I have a bad case of OCD, if I bought a second sub it would have to be the same as the one I got.

I'm waiting for the meet so I can see and hear msala's box and compare it to how mine sounds now. If all goes well, I'm gonna hit up Travis for 2 enclosures - one for each side.

Travis... better get that r/s mold ready!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Travis, see my pm please.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Got mine in today Trew and its looks amazing. I will probably get it installed this weekend. One point, I don't think its recommended to put a box on top of you Navi, the vibrations might mess it up and that's one thing you don't want to break, it has a hefty price tag.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
We're waiting Mike!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL Miracle bandpass enclosures may become available in the near future

-Jason
Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by msala524
Got mine in today Trew and its looks amazing. I will probably get it installed this weekend. One point, I don't think its recommended to put a box on top of you Navi, the vibrations might mess it up and that's one thing you don't want to break, it has a hefty price tag.
Great! I was afraid you wouldn't have it by the time we met. I can't wait to hear it. As for the r/s enclosure, if i DO get it, I plan to relocate the NAVI DVD to the underside of the deck, so vibrations shouldn't be an issue.

Jason. Here's the screen shot you requested. I also showed the EQ settings of the sub. Let me know what you think please...
Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Drifting

maybe it's me but shouldn't the frequency be alot lower for the sub?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
cross your sub at 80 or lower.... I actually prefer 63 or 50.... at 80 and above you start your kicks and whatnot... anything above 80hz tends to be directional and the goal of a sub is you don't want it to be directional.. you want the bass to encompass you.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Drifting

This is the best I could do to show you how it sounds...

If you go to the actual YouTube site, you will find an option to watch the clip in HD, since that's how it was recorded. (Nikon D90, FTMFW!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVT7a7O_dgY
Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnc2000
cross your sub at 80 or lower.... I actually prefer 63 or 50.... at 80 and above you start your kicks and whatnot... anything above 80hz tends to be directional and the goal of a sub is you don't want it to be directional.. you want the bass to encompass you.
I'm crossed at the amp at about 60Hz.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM
08 TL-S NBP

Got my install set up for tomorrow!! Can't wait. I really hope the sub and amp come in!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Pro

lol...copy cat!!! hahaha...you need to majorly come down on the HI Freqs...increase midbass...and fix that damn lic plate RATTLE!!!

-Jason
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Driven to Perfection

Originally Posted by Trew
This is the best I could do to show you how it sounds...

If you go to the actual YouTube site, you will find an option to watch the clip in HD, since that's how it was recorded. (Nikon D90, FTMFW!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVT7a7O_dgY
holy crap, your back window is flexing like crazy!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Pro

mattster check out my thread

-Jason
Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
lol...copy cat!!! hahaha...you need to majorly come down on the HI Freqs...increase midbass...and fix that damn lic plate RATTLE!!!

-Jason
Haven't you heard that imitation is the greatest form of flattery? I can't complain though, that's only ONE sub!

Yea my highs are really high. I've played with it a bit but I agree they are too high. Midbass is lackluster for some reason. If I go much higher it sounds lke it's spitting. I will continue to play with it though.

As for the rattle, I've got moleskin behind the plate so it can't be that. It's my damn wing spoiler! I tried everything and I can't get rid of it. Kinda sucks spending all that time and money dynamatting my entire trunk and still hear that shit.

Any comments on the screen shot?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Got my install set up for tomorrow!! Can't wait. I really hope the sub and amp come in!
Awesome! EdLuv143 and I are both anxiously awaiting the meet to see and hear that thing. I really hope you get it installed in time.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Pro

i'd run the subwoofer output out of the 360 into your sub amp full range and use the x-overs on the amp itself...u may be having phase shift issues by overlapping both crossovers...

-Jason
Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Drifting

that makes sense. I am going to try that. Thanks. I do have one question though... my Polk Momos components came with crossovers and I am using them. Should I run the driver full range straight out of the amp or should I leave the crossover in and tweak? I'm thinking it might help my midbass sound better if I bypassed the crossover, but I don't know if it's recommended.

On another note, I just heard from Msala and he's quite happy with the sound coming out of his enclosure - but I'll let him tell you all about it.

Travis, do you have a mold for the right side? How long is the turnaround if I decided to get both sides?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Active is the way to go if you have the power for it
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
you won't really get boomy bass in a sealed enclosure.

add to the fact it's a sq sub, so really, it's either go ported and tune low or maybe try a different setup. like the w7(if u wanna stay JL)
My bass is plenty boomy yet punchy too with the W6s in a sealed box. I have the best of all worlds, SQ, decent SPL, just a great all around sub for every type of music. Have you actually run one of these before?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Team Owner

Trew, did you seal off the box from the trunk when you faced the sub forward? It will sound like crap with no volume until it is sealed.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
On another note, I just heard from Msala and he's quite happy with the sound coming out of his enclosure - but I'll let him tell you all about it.

Travis, do you have a mold for the right side? How long is the turnaround if I decided to get both sides?
Msala might be happy now. But he'll be retarded happy once that sub breaks in.

I don't have a mold for that right side. Most AZ members and local customers have NAVI which does not allow for an enclosure on that side. Well... it can be done but I've only done it once in the 4 years that I've been making these. Thus, I don't have the mold. Soddy.

Turn-around time is about 5 days on a basic carpet covered enclosure.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
My bass is plenty boomy yet punchy too with the W6s in a sealed box. I have the best of all worlds, SQ, decent SPL, just a great all around sub for every type of music. Have you actually run one of these before?
nope never have..couple of my friends run setups with w7s and w6s though..great woofers..
Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Team Owner

nope never have..couple of my friends run setups with w7s and w6s though..great woofers..
I'm a firm believer in setup now. I just don't like it when people condemn a woofer when the problem is setup. I was one of those people for a long time. Mine always sounded ok but it didn't stand out. Once I got everything setup correctly, I started to see what the W6 hype was all about.

IMO, if you're going to fire it toward the rear of the car, don't spend the money on a great SQ sub. That's just my limited experience with these things but I think firing into the cabin is the only way to really tell the SQ differences between subs.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Drifting

I agree

imo 80% of it is on install
Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Drifting

Active is the way to go if you have the power for it
Are you saying I should bypass the passive crossover for my door speakers? Are there any risks to this? If I do this, I would not be able to filter high frequencies from the driver because the tweets are on the same channel.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Trew, did you seal off the box from the trunk when you faced the sub forward? It will sound like crap with no volume until it is sealed.
I was going to, but I read Deltaboxxx's thread where he tried it and wasn't happy with it. My sub is now turned around to the rear once again, and moved to the center of the trunk.

Originally Posted by uncald4
I don't have a mold for that right side. Most AZ members and local customers have NAVI which does not allow for an enclosure on that side. Well... it can be done but I've only done it once in the 4 years that I've been making these. Thus, I don't have the mold. Soddy.

Turn-around time is about 5 days on a basic carpet covered enclosure.
Thanks Travis. I will let you know either way after the meet this Sunday.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

i'd run the subwoofer output out of the 360 into your sub amp full range and use the x-overs on the amp itself...u may be having phase shift issues by overlapping both crossovers...

-Jason
By running both crossovers you will have a steeper slope. 24 db slope + 12 db on the amp and you'll end up with a 36 db cutoff. Quite sharp IMO for a sub.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

Are you saying I should bypass the passive crossover for my door speakers? Are there any risks to this? If I do this, I would not be able to filter high frequencies from the driver because the tweets are on the same channel.

I was going to, but I read Deltaboxxx's thread where he tried it and wasn't happy with it. My sub is now turned around to the rear once again, and moved to the center of the trunk.

Thanks Travis. I will let you know either way after the meet this Sunday.
Please, do yourself a favor before you spend money on another box and turn the sub to face forward through the armrest and seal it from the trunk. It will sound awesome. It's scary at first because if you try it before it's sealed off it will sound terrible.

Mine lost just a little SPL but it sounds so good now and it actually hits the really low notes better. It's tight on country and plays rap really well.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Pro

jnc that is in-correct...what do you base these assumptions off of?

you'll have phase shift if they're not exact...and a sharper cut-off is the key to having upfront staging bass...the illusion of having bass up front with out having a physical subwoofer up front...psycho-acoustics 101...read up on Autosound 2000 Encyclopedia...

Trew-

don't fight the curve...just bug me to build a box and ship one out...LOL

-Jason
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Trew-

don't fight the curve...just bug me to build a box and ship one out...LOL

-Jason
Time will tell, my friend... I'll have a better idea of what I want to do after this weekend's mega meet. Who knows, I just may take you up on this

I sure wish I could see the innards of this miracle box!!!

On another note, I think I want to just bi-amp my front components and turn on the amp crossover for the drivers on their own channel. I just have to convince the wife that I "need" yet another amp

Last edited by Trew; 01-15-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Retarded happy...Interesting...I'm happy now just waiting for the retarded happy to kick in. Ok here is my

The enclosure was made very well, I even got compliments at the audio install shop. It fits super snug in the corner and bumps very nice. I only have a 250 watt amp pushing it, but it sounds so clean that it sounds like about 500 watts. Everything was simple to install the only pain was the screw in the back of the enclosure. The screw I got (2" screw) was too small and didn't grab the metal so the shop installed one, that was a thinner diameter than the one I had. Unfortunately since the washer I bought were for the larger diameter screw, they practically went through the screw about a few hours later and I just finished taking off my sub and re tightening the screw. I am hoping it doesn't come off anymore. Once I left the shop with the radio off, I was freaking out cause my sub was on pretty loud. Trew gave me the tip to disconnect the noise canceling microphone, which I totally forgot that Travis had given me the link. So after that was disconnected it was all butter after that. I can even control the sub from my stock radio's settings and make it louder or lower or even turn it off. The sub fit perfect nice and snug and the bass is super clean and perfectly loud. So much in fact that it popped the clear turn signal off from my drivers side cleared tail light and that's the only noticeable rattle that I have. The other rattles on the trunk area and stuff are barely noticeable because I put dynamat in the trunk but it will vibrate alil because of the angle of the sub. No biggy at all. Overall the sub sounds super clean and hits great. I'm giving it another 2 weeks and I will tune the amp since the sub will be broken in. Travis did a great job on fitment, size, and construction and would recommend this to anyone looking for a compact and light custom system. I tested my sub with an enclosure the shop had and it wasn't the same. It did not hit as solid and seemed abit lower than Travis's enclosure. I saved about 15 pounds just on the speaker enclosure alone and can still fit lots of stuff in my trunk.

Now the only thing I need Travis is a custom amp rack!

Originally Posted by uncald4
Msala might be happy now. But he'll be retarded happy once that sub breaks in.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Drifting

I tested my sub with an enclosure the shop had and it wasn't the same. It did not hit as solid and seemed abit lower than Travis's enclosure. I saved about 15 pounds just on the speaker enclosure alone and can still fit lots of stuff in my trunk.
Awesome, Mike! Your statement above is exactly what I need to find out for myself. This gives me hope!!! Is it Sunday yet?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM
08 TL-S NBP

yea, this sunday, 3 days, I'm pming everyone
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

jnc that is in-correct...what do you base these assumptions off of?
-Jason

36 is too sharp for my taste. Again sound is all about personal preferences
Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

On another note, I think I want to just bi-amp my front components and turn on the amp crossover for the drivers on their own channel. I just have to convince the wife that I "need" yet another amp
Do it. I ordered two amps one day so switch out my front stage to an active 3 way setup. I put it them in over a weekend without telling her. Next time she took a ride she got in and said ,

"What did you do?

I played innocent until she did some digging in the credit card statements. Then she made me do an install in her Vue

All agree active is the way to go, so long as you have access to an patience, a love of sound, and you love tweaking. I also recommend making friends with someone who has an RTA so you can do some tuning.