Need Opinions on Uncald4's Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Need Opinions on Uncald4's Enclosure

I was hoping I could get some opinions on Uncald4's enclosure. I have a sealed box, and I'm not quite satisfied with the response I'm getting. It's built to JL's spec, and I've tried facing it backward, forward and even moved it to the middle of the trunk. This is the only placement I could find that made the lows sound acceptable. But I can't leave it here because then I'd have no trunk space.

I have a JL 12w6v2 sub. I want to know if I could expect a better bass response out of Uncald4's box.

Also, is there anyone that had a sealed box and then changed to Uncald4's box? Can you describe the difference?

Please don't post things like "don't get it" or recommend something else (this means you, eggy!). I'm just looking for opinions for this particular enclosure, since I'm just about ready to buy it.

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have a JL12W6 and I am not sure you will find better bass response. However, He builds them right, so even if your box is built to spec, it may not be best, as he has experience doing boxes for many of us.

Basically you can be sure of two things, you will save on a lot of space and you will know for sure it is not the enclosures fault.

The one he made for my car is beautiful! I have peace of mind whatever is wrong with the response is probably the settings on my amp / HU.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
woo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a had tons of different sub setups...some good and some bad.
most recently i had a kicked L7 and had uncald4 build me a box for a jl 12w7. night and day difference, the w7 is louder and cleaner. takes up way less space and get compliments on the enclosure all the time.
not to mention he is awesome to work with. highly recommend you have him build you an enclosure.
talk to him you will be able to sense his professionalism and knowledge.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Great enclosure ...

I would never roll ANYTHING that unclad4 guy builds!

Trust me Trew ... you won't be dissappointed. Great product and a knowledgeable guy to deal with as well

Old 12-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Driven to Perfection

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree. I was running a 10w3 in a sealed box, facing rear and pushed against the back seat. Sound was decent, but it lacked transient response and clarity. Uncald4's box is built to drastically reduce cancellation, and it does that well. I now enjoy accurate, clean bass and with the center arm rest down, it is punchy as hell. He uses the same carpet that comes OEM in the car, and I had mine matched to the carpet on the sides vs. the default floor carpet. Installation is super easy with one screw through the back into a support beam, and one through the bottom into the trunk sub-floor.

I was skeptical at first. I have a lot of experience in the pro audio world (concert sound reinforcement) and fiberglass as an enclosure material didn't make sense to me. But I'm a believer and I endorse the Uncald4 box every chance I get. If you read the BM post, and any other post having to do with this subject, I doubt you will ever read about anyone dissatisfied with their Uncald4 box - I haven't.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
That looks awesome. Thats how it should come from the factory.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here,Travis did a single ten JL 10w3 and it sounds great. also had the box painted to match my TL
Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew

Please don't post things like "don't get it" or recommend something else (this means you, eggy!). I'm just looking for opinions for this particular enclosure, since I'm just about ready to buy it.
with that said, from what i've seen and read i'd recommend his enclosures

Edit by Admin Ron A: I don't know what's going on with you guys, but I deleted part of your post because what you said is entirely uncalled for, is inappropriate, and will not be tolerated.

Consider this your first warning, but since I don't know you guys as well as the regular 3G mods do, if you have been warned before then they have my permission and encouragement to give you a two week vacation.

Unless they are constructive and pertinent to the thread, further comments by you are not recommended.

Note to Trew: Leave eggy out of your posts and prevent another mess like this.

If you two can't get along, ignore each other and don't agitate.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Drifting

You should re-read the thread. You seem highly mistaken.

In fact, here it is: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/more-bass-more-bass-teaser-697942/

Last edited by Trew; 12-22-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Anyway... Thanks for the responses guys. Now I just need to convince the wife that I need this AND a Nikon D90 with an 18-105mm VR lens
Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Trew I got one coming in that will be ready for the meet. I agree with everyone here that Travis knows his stuff, but if you still aren't sold wait till then.

Its exactly like firstacuratl's but mines gonna have red/black carbon fiber to match the type s look..it should be sweet!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Drifting

Mike, Thanks for the offer. That's a great idea. I just hope I can wait that long.

I would have just bought it, but I just spent $180 on a box not 3 months ago, and I want to make sure it's going to sound better than what I have.

I'm also concerned about the size. From what I understand, the box is 1.1cf internal volume. JL recommends 1.25 + sub displacement, which is .09cf. That's over 1/4cf difference. This will make it sound punchier, but I'm concerned about the deeper tones. I may have to throw some polyfill in there to compensate for the smaller size.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Tell me about it. He's making it now and I can barely wait to see the finished outcome!!

Depends on what you listen to. If your an avid hip hop listen buy a 12 if not a 10. I got a 10w3v3 cause I'm looking for decent bass but don't want too much. I used to have 2 15" L7 solo barics and my whole car when crazy, I had to re weld the trunk latch 3 times. I also want to keep it as light as possible.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Mike, what did you amp your sub with? Do you have an idea when you will get Travis' box?

Firstacuratl: that's a really good looking enclosure! Do you have any pics standing straight on behind the car with the trunk open so I can see the profile?

Ron A: Thanks for the intervention. Trust me, I definitely won't do that again. If I had known there were issues between us, I would never have included his name in my post. I did it as a joke.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Nothing too big, Travis told me to get a jl 250 watt amp because I will also be using about 200 watts from teh stock sub. So I'll have about 500 watts. My main goal was to be super light and have some decent bass when I wanted it so I do want anything impala crazy. lol

Travis said I should have it by next week. He is finishing up on the enclosure and just waiting for the carbon fiber to get in. With the holiday shipping times, he expects delivery sometime next week!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
08 TL-S NBP

let me correct my previous statement. Travis recommended JL Audio 250/1 for the sub that I got. It is rated at 250 watts RMS from 1.5 to 4 ohms. This means that you can use either the 2 ohm or 4 ohm 10W3 and it will get the same amount of power. The rating of 250 watts is not impressive, I know. However, your woofer will see about 400 watts from this amp. Mostly because you will be using your OEM amp's subwoofer output for the input signal on this new amp. Since this signal is already juiced the amp has much more to work with and amplify.

Thats the specifics, so skip what I previously said.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Pro

trew...what is your goal for audio?

-Jason
Old 12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Drifting

My main stage sounds great. I just want more boom out of the bass. I'm wondering if one 12w6 is not enough.

I've played around with the placement of my existing box and I got it to sound pretty good by pointing it forward and moving it near the middle of the trunk. However, I can't really leave it here.

The sub is nice and loud, but in my opinion it's not boomy enough. I listen to all kinds of music, and it sounds phenomenal with classical and pop, but falls a little short with R&B, Reggae and hip-hop because the bass isn't strong enough.

I wish there was a way I could get you to hear it. I can make my cell phone dance on my roof like you did (not as much). Maybe I'm just too picky?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Drifting

Jason, what do you think about this regarding Uncald4's box?
Originally Posted by Trew
I'm also concerned about the size. From what I understand, the box is 1.1cf internal volume. JL recommends 1.25 + sub displacement, which is .09cf. That's over 1/4cf difference. This will make it sound punchier, but I'm concerned about the deeper tones. I may have to throw some polyfill in there to compensate for the smaller size.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Drifting

you may despise everything i say on here but if you want boomy bass then ported is the way to go.. or give it more power?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Drifting

Ported will help with the genres that fall short but will hurt the other types of music I like. I don't particularly like the range or the dropoff of a ported box.

As far as power, I'm pushing 675 RMS into that sub. The amount of excursion is incredible. I can't believe it hasn't blown yet
Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Drifting

you won't really get boomy bass in a sealed enclosure.

add to the fact it's a sq sub, so really, it's either go ported and tune low or maybe try a different setup. like the w7(if u wanna stay JL)
Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
if you want boomy bass then ported is the way to go
Word.

add to the fact it's a sq sub, so really, it's either go ported and tune low or maybe try a different setup. like the w7(if u wanna stay JL)
Word x 2.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Trew I mean if you had a custom box already built for the 12W6 I'm sure you're pretty much getting the best you can with that, so I don't know if investing in another enclosure is what you are looking for, maybe you just want more power or a different sub. I could be wrong, maybe the box isn't built perfectly and you can rest assure that with Travis building it, you know its going to be perfect.

Also I know the max peak power the JL 12W6 can handle is 1200 Watts but I thought JL specifies that you shouldn't run it more than 600 Watts RMS?

I mean I understand its only 75 Watts extra no biggie especially when you account for the fact that our stock batteries prolly never put out a constant 12 Volts so it might be even less... but can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I have an old very slightly used practically new MTX 6500D that I was going to use when I get the W6 and just wire it in 2ohms. Still debating on 10 or 12.

I'm just waiting for after the holidays to buy mine, let some funds clear up because right now it seems like a bomb exploded in my account.. haha!

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 12-24-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Drifting

usually you can run a little extra wattage to a sub(50-100.. sometimes more)

same with using bigger boxes, atleast imo

if you want boomy bass a 13w7 in the right ported box would get loud and sound pretty good, same goes for the fi q or the hdc3
Old 12-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Driven to Perfection

Originally Posted by msala524
However, your woofer will see about 400 watts from this amp. Mostly because you will be using your OEM amp's subwoofer output for the input signal on this new amp. Since this signal is already juiced the amp has much more to work with and amplify.
I think you might be a little confused here. Amplifiers don't work the way you're describing. In order to use the OEM subwoofer signal, you will need either a Line Out Converter (LOC or Hi/Low) or internal speaker level inputs. Sending more than a line level into the input of an amplifier won't cause the amp to add more wattage. It will probably damage the input section of the amp. You'll read a lot of discussion on these forums about OEM interfaces (Fosgate 360, JL Control, AudioControl Matrix) or LOCs, and that's why.

That being said, the JL 250/1 is a good choice for the 10w3, as it is a well built amp, and the circuitry is such that you will get 250 watts (if not a bit more) of clean power. My setup is a 10w3 in Travis' box with an Alpine MRP-650, running at 2 ohms. That amp is rated 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms, but because of inherent voltage variations in the power supply from the alternator, I don't expect that I'm actually getting the full 600. In fact, I'm hoping I don't as JL recommends no more than 500 watts continuous to the 10w3.

Read around for more insight as to what components you'll need to do your amp installation. The 10w3+250/1+Travis's Box is a solid setup. I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Pro

trew what you're complaining of sounds like you're getting a great deal of cancellation in the trunk compartment...

- Just an FYI for everyone...a W6v2 Driver will actually play louder than a W7 Driver...if you want to bang...a W7 is the absolute wrong driver for you...

as for UNCALD4's enclosures...You can't beat that price...its a well built...small compact enclosure...so he Definitely gets a huge thumbs up from ME!!!

- Now my next question to you is...send me a screen shot of your settings reguarding your subwoofer setup...IE 360.2 screenshot...i'm finding it very difficult that you're not gettin boomy of 12w6v2 sealed enclosure...especially in a TL...next question...armrest up or down...and finally did you remove your factory subwoofer?

-Jason
Old 12-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Pro

trew what you're complaining of sounds like you're getting a great deal of cancellation in the trunk compartment...

- Just an FYI for everyone...a W6v2 Driver will actually play louder than a W7 Driver...if you want to bang...a W7 is the absolute wrong driver for you...

as for UNCALD4's enclosures...You can't beat that price...its a well built...small compact enclosure...so he Definitely gets a huge thumbs up from ME!!!

- Now my next question to you is...send me a screen shot of your settings reguarding your subwoofer setup...IE 360.2 screenshot...i'm finding it very difficult that you're not gettin boomy of 12w6v2 sealed enclosure...especially in a TL...next question...armrest up or down?...and finally did you remove your factory subwoofer?

-and with all the JL innovations for motor structure optimization...a properly designed ported enclosure will sound identical to a properly sound sealed enclosure...yet the ported enclosure will yield a net gain of approx 3-4.5 db of increased output...just food for thought guys...again...JL has spent a great deal of money and time optimizing their drivers...and patenting just about everything they do...innovation my friends is the name of the game to get ahead...

Mattster...

JL rates their drivers extremely conservatively...knowing that idiots will always push the envelope...perfect example...I ran 10W3v2's for 4 Years in a ported enclosure...rated at 300 Watts RMS...I purposely ran 1000 Watts EACH RMS out of my Eclipse DA7232 to show that power alone will not totally destroy a speaker...AS LONG AS IT IS GOOD CLEAN POWER...UNCLIPPED!!! and as long as your crossovers and sub sonic are set appropriately for the application...to this day I still have those drivers...and those Voice Coils look brand spankin NEW...no clipping...no distortion...no smokin voice coils....

-Jason

Last edited by CSWBiggs; 12-24-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Sorry forgot a few things
Old 12-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Drifting

When you say screenshot, are you asking for a diagram?

Armrest up or down same issue.

stock sub removed, but carpet still in place under the deck.

Also, sub is pointed up at a 30 degree angle instead of straight out from the box.

Last edited by Trew; 12-24-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Drifting

i think you should either add another w6

or scrap the w6 and audition other subs
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro

eq curve for the sub channel...also...check your subsonic filter on the 360...
Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=firstacuratl;10308793]I would never roll ANYTHING that unclad4 guy builds!

Trust me Trew ... you won't be dissappointed. Great product and a knowledgeable guy to deal with as well

[/quote

THAT FREAKIN looks clean, it looks like its part of the trunk
Makes me want to order one..
Old 12-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Driven to Perfection

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
JL rates their drivers extremely conservatively...knowing that idiots will always push the envelope...perfect example...I ran 10W3v2's for 4 Years in a ported enclosure...rated at 300 Watts RMS...I purposely ran 1000 Watts EACH RMS out of my Eclipse DA7232 to show that power alone will not totally destroy a speaker...AS LONG AS IT IS GOOD CLEAN POWER...UNCLIPPED!!! and as long as your crossovers and sub sonic are set appropriately for the application...to this day I still have those drivers...and those Voice Coils look brand spankin NEW...no clipping...no distortion...no smokin voice coils....

-Jason
See, I would have thought that was the case. Maybe there's something screwy with my amp, but I've smoked 3 10w3v3-2's, 1 10w1 and 1 Excelon 11" DVC (what a POS) since May. Coming from the pro sound world, where it's the norm to use amps with tons of headroom (a 400 watt RMS sub would be powered by an 800 watt power amp) I thought 600 watts should be safe for the 10w3. I love the sound... I just have to be careful about heating it up too much. Luckily, I've learned the smell very well of when it's getting too hot
Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Sal's Type S;10318914]
Originally Posted by firstacuratl
I would never roll ANYTHING that unclad4 guy builds!

[/quote

THAT FREAKIN looks clean, it looks like its part of the trunk
Makes me want to order one..
Thanks man ... uncald4 does a stellar job on his enclosures! I love my new system and get compliments all the time on the box
Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
eq curve for the sub channel...also...check your subsonic filter on the 360...
Jason, I haven't been able to get the laptop and the TL in the same place for a while. I'll get you the screen shot over this weekend.

I had the Subsonic filter on/off but wasn't able to notice a difference in sound. Also switched the crossover slope from 12/24 with no luck either.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Wrong wrong wrong. This thread is filled with miss information. You can get fantastic SQ from a ported box. You can get great SQ from a sealed box. You can get phonominal SQ from a TL box. - in the end its all in the design of the box, and the TS perimeters of the driver that dictates how the driver will react is a certain environment.

Take for instance a driver that has a low Qts and put it in a large box and it'll sound "boomy" compared if you put it in a box for which its recommended...

A driver is not a driver guys. A box is not a box. You can't just put two together and expect great results everytime. There are recomendations, and there are guidelines but you can't just go off and make assumptions. This is why I'll sometimes build 6, or 7 boxes till I find one that I trully like.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnc2000
Wrong wrong wrong. This thread is filled with miss information. You can get fantastic SQ from a ported box. You can get great SQ from a sealed box. You can get phonominal SQ from a TL box. - in the end its all in the design of the box, and the TS perimeters of the driver that dictates how the driver will react is a certain environment.

Take for instance a driver that has a low Qts and put it in a large box and it'll sound "boomy" compared if you put it in a box for which its recommended...

A driver is not a driver guys. A box is not a box. You can't just put two together and expect great results everytime. There are recomendations, and there are guidelines but you can't just go off and make assumptions. This is why I'll sometimes build 6, or 7 boxes till I find one that I trully like.
i know that you can get fantastic sq with a ported box..but you will NOT get boomy spl bass from a sq driver in a sealed box
Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Driven to Perfection

Originally Posted by jnc2000

Thanks for saying that. People like to talk in generalizations, do it the cheap-o way, or just blow hot air. When it comes down to it, building a great sounding system is part science and part art. In the end, taste in sound is as diverse as taste in music - go with what you like. But realize that it's hard to "accidentally" get it right.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mattster
Thanks for saying that. People like to talk in generalizations, do it the cheap-o way, or just blow hot air. When it comes down to it, building a great sounding system is part science and part art. In the end, taste in sound is as diverse as taste in music - go with what you like. But realize that it's hard to "accidentally" get it right.
That's some powerful poetry! Preach on brotha!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
i know that you can get fantastic sq with a ported box..but you will NOT get boomy spl bass from a sq driver in a sealed box
There's no sense arguing this with you over the internet. But I can assure you I can take any driver you consider to be an "SQ" based driver and make it sound "boomy".

Sound quality is perceptional. My point is I can make any driver react any way I want given the right box, the right staging, and the right amount of power. That is sound reproduction in it's most simplistic form.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on Uncald4's Enclosure