Lights around navigation unit went out

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:50 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lights around navigation unit went out

I have a 07 Tl type S. I was changing some of the lights that went out around the navigation unit. I made the mistake of tapping on the back of one of the bulbs that wouldn't turn on (as it was plugged in) now all of the lights around the unit went out. I can't find a fuse or anything that connects to just those lights and can't get them back on. Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:36 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Ron A
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Thanks Ron
Old 01-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Same think happened to me. I learned not to tap them anymore and to use needle nose pliers to remove them. I've read on here, that it's best to replace them all when doing it.
I had 1 that was out on the temperature control panel. Bought one, put it in and then it was the only one working. Lol.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:05 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Joecop67
Same think happened to me. I learned not to tap them anymore and to use needle nose pliers to remove them. I've read on here, that it's best to replace them all when doing it.
I had 1 that was out on the temperature control panel. Bought one, put it in and then it was the only one working. Lol.
​​​​​​Yeah, that's a tough lesson.....lol. So in my case, after they all went out. I still put 4 new ones in, from the ones I just bought. And those didn't even work. Did you get all of yours to work after you just replaced them?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:20 AM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
I cheated. I just bought the whole control and swapped it out. It had one bad bulb which I replaced and they al worked then.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:48 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Joecop67
I cheated. I just bought the whole control and swapped it out. It had one bad bulb which I replaced and they al worked then.
When you say the whole control. It's that entire side piece on either side that plugs in to the back of the screen, right?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,616 Likes on 6,654 Posts
this dude is selling one: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...ir-oem-964368/
Old 01-17-2018, 09:14 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Thank you, I just sent him a message
Old 01-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Passing on my own experience: I went to replace the bulbs on the NAV and AC buttons with LEDS. Lazy and didn't disconnect battery. Shorted out one while it was plugged in and lost all of the ones around the NAV display. The issue was I blew the FET transistor that controls the dimming function. So it was either replace the transistor or get a new NAV (the transistor is mounted in the NAV circuit board). Didn't want to do either so I tapped the bulb power to the light in the center console arm rest. Got it to work with some wire and minimal soldering. Replacing the side buttons would not work (for me) as they had nothing to do with the problem. Hope it works out for you whatever you do. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BillMFD3
Passing on my own experience: I went to replace the bulbs on the NAV and AC buttons with LEDS. Lazy and didn't disconnect battery. Shorted out one while it was plugged in and lost all of the ones around the NAV display. The issue was I blew the FET transistor that controls the dimming function. So it was either replace the transistor or get a new NAV (the transistor is mounted in the NAV circuit board). Didn't want to do either so I tapped the bulb power to the light in the center console arm rest. Got it to work with some wire and minimal soldering. Replacing the side buttons would not work (for me) as they had nothing to do with the problem. Hope it works out for you whatever you do. Good luck.
That sounds exactly like what I did. Which makes me wonder if replacing those side buttons would even work for me either. However I'm not sure that I would trust myself to rewire it. I might have to just replace the Navi screen. Thank you for the info it helps so I don't go down the wrong road and throw $ at the wrong issue
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BillMFD3
That sounds exactly like what I did. Which makes me wonder if replacing those side buttons would even work for me either. However I'm not sure that I would trust myself to rewire it. I might have to just replace the Navi screen. Thank you for the info it helps so I don't go down the wrong road and throw $ at the wrong issue
Old 01-17-2018, 10:16 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
You should be able to take a multimeter and see you if you get a reading on the contact pads of the bulb socket.

FYI, if you're lazy to disconnect the battery like me to change the bulbs around the navi, just remove the 2 or 3 connectors that attaches to the back of the navi display. The two connectors on each top corner is the connector for the HVAC buttons to the navi display, you don't need to unplug those. Just the connectors coming from the car.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
If you do attempt to wire it, its just one wire that you tap to the light in the storage then tap into one of the hvac side button connectors.