Large Tablet Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large Tablet Install

I have a 07 TL type S with nav, I did some quick searching around and couldn't find anyone attempting this yet, has anyone tried installing a large like 9" or 10" screen tablet vertically in the center console? With a similar concept to the Tesla Model 3 but flush? Are there any issues caused by removing the lower buttons?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
like.. get rid of the radio completely? Do you not plan on using radio at all? How about climate control?
Old 08-15-2018, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

I'm hoping to leave the side buttons intact for a/c, then doing what ever the other tablet installs did to keep functionality and install a 1 din radio below the tablet.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
That sounds like a TON of fabricating in my opinion, but feel free to be a pioneer. You would have to drop the radio significantly to make room for a tablet to rest in a vertical position. If you have a Navi, you would also need to relocate the Navi controls that normally rest at the bottom of the screen. Then you would need a new radio (or relocate OEM radio) to where the compartments are located...unless you don't plan to have a radio at all.

Is there any reason that you against installing a Nexus tablet instead? There are a lot of DIYs on this for 3gs. It's still not an easy task, but would probably be more feasible.

Here is a link to a vertical tablet on the 4g TL
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p.../#post16221386
Old 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I would even give up on the tablet idea, and instead use a rasberry pi and a 7" screen. then use OpenAuto as a form of AndroidAuto.

this would be even EASIER to install than a nexus 7 tablet because of space and clearance issues...and will give you the top of the line hardware...instead of a six year old tablet.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
That sounds like a TON of fabricating in my opinion, but feel free to be a pioneer. You would have to drop the radio significantly to make room for a tablet to rest in a vertical position. If you have a Navi, you would also need to relocate the Navi controls that normally rest at the bottom of the screen. Then you would need a new radio (or relocate OEM radio) to where the compartments are located...unless you don't plan to have a radio at all.

Is there any reason that you against installing a Nexus tablet instead? There are a lot of DIYs on this for 3gs. It's still not an easy task, but would probably be more feasible.

Here is a link to a vertical tablet on the 4g TL
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p.../#post16221386
I just created some rough cut outs of a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and S4, and I see what you mean by having to drop the radio. Im against a nexus tablet as its extremely out dated, I would prefer a larger screen and was hoping to make the tablet sort of removable (but with a semi permanent mount and some sort of lock for the tablet). My plan I was hoping would work was that I could install a 2 din aftermarket radio kit, a 1 din pioneer radio, a base model A/C head and cut the bottom off the A/C head and the top off the aftermarket mounting bracket and squeeze a tablet in vertically.

After looking at the cut outs, I either need to find a slightly shorter tablet or mount the tablet on some sort of gimbal mount above the plane of the head unit and partially obscure the vents.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:35 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what I have been thinking of doing in my 3G/Nav is this. I plan on ordering a Xtrons TE706PL Android Double Din Head unit where the stock stereo goes. I was then going to install a newer tablet to replace the Nav Screen and then using an app or figure out how to link the 2 screens together. This would give me the 2 screen functionality that I want in my system. With the Xtrons head unit i could add a Sim card to it and it would have its own dedicated Network access, so no need to tether my phone to it. This is just something that I have been thinking about doing. It might be something to consider. But i do like your idea of doing one big screen like in the Tesla's.