An ipod option that you might not have considered

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An ipod option that you might not have considered

I hope this isn't old news to everyone, but I haven't seen a thread on it yet.

I would love to have ipod integration, but I'm not willing to pay the price unless it did everything I want it to do (including not disable XM, and good, intuitive, effective controls of the ipod through the factory unit controls). But I do care very much about sound quality and the fact that using the ipod from the headphone jack through the aux input makes you raise the volume.

Therefore, I use a dock connector cable. It plugs in the dock connector of the ipod to the aux jack of the factory unit. I still control the ipod with the ipod itself, and this means I can't be charging the unit while it's plugged in this way. But the advantages are significant:

1. Sound quality is identical to an integration unit. None of the increased signal to noise ratio that you get through the headphone jack. Sound is phenomenal.
2. The audio from the ipod is delivered to the factory unit at "line level", meaning I don't have to do anything to the volume on the ipod. The volume is completely controlled through the factory unit, and my ipod's headphones volume doesn't have to be adjusted.

An example of this kind of cable can be found here:
Dock Connector Cable

As I said, this may be old news, or you may require car charging. But for those of us who care most about sound quality, this gives a nice alternative to integrated units for about $15.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Racer

isnt this the same as the aux cable?
just with one end being exclusive to ipods?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

No, read the original post again (I must not have explained it as thoroughly as I thought.)

When you use the typical aux cable, you are coming out of the headphone jack. This signal is not as clean as coming out of the dock. Also, you have to turn up the volume to get it to a high enough level to play through the stereo.

Using the dock connector cable sounds better and sends a full "line level" signal to the stereo, so you don't have to turn up the volume on the ipod.

The better sound is not as dramatic as going from a tape adaptor to an aux cable, but it is real and noticable. Using the dock cable gives you as clean a signal as the integrated units.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 does not have AUX
Old 03-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Plus I've seen these in those little mall kiosks for $10, so the price of this one + shipping isn't worth buying

Also the white color blows
Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

Tough crowd.

I'm not pimping Amazon, I'm suggesting something that a lot of people don't know about. If you can buy this in a mall kiosk for 10 bucks, even better.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Instructor

I've seen the dock connector cable and no, you can't buy it at the mall. Heck, I've checked radioshack, circuitcity, bestbuy, etc.

It's definitely better audio quality because it's line out.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 PM
10th Gear

will this work on a 04?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is what i use it also charges your ipod and comes with an aux cable.it sounds great http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot#
Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

That's a convenient device, but it is still hampered by having to use the headphone jack for the audio. Your signal to noise ratio is not as desirable as a dock output, and you still have that issue with volume control.

For many people, this is simply not an issue and they are as happy as they can be with their solution. I am just letting people know that they can get a better, cleaner signal by using the dock.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

As to the 05 and earlier, the cable I mention still needs an aux port. You could look for a dock connector to rca cable (I know they make it), and then you would need to get behind the dash and look at hooking it up to your unit directly, if that's possible. Then, of course, you're into more effort, and it may be worth it for you to just look at the integrated solutions at that point (unless you don't mind getting behind the dash yourself.)
Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Pro

Wink

Originally Posted by Rio Rebel
That's a convenient device, but it is still hampered by having to use the headphone jack for the audio. Your signal to noise ratio is not as desirable as a dock output, and you still have that issue with volume control.

For many people, this is simply not an issue and they are as happy as they can be with their solution. I am just letting people know that they can get a better, cleaner signal by using the dock.
no you don't have to use the headphone jack.you plug one end in to the dock and the aux cable plugs in to the cars aux input and the other end of the aux cable plugs into the cars charger part.so that means you only have one cable running into your ipods dock at the bottom of your ipod.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

I didn't read closely enough, and just assumed what I wrote. My apologies. That is a very interesting device, and it not only gets you all the advantages of the cable I mentioned, it also allows you to charge.

Nice find.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
4th Gear

I looked at that device, however there are cheaper alternatives if you don't won't the control, which provides an iPod Dock connector to both USB (for charging via a USB car adaptor) and a .125" stereo jack for the AUX. This allows a single cable to the iPod that give line level audio and charging.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/513...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It is for a Kenwood, but still works in the TL type S '08 just fine. The only thing I would change is a mod in the dock connector to allow the iPod to switch off when power is removed from the USB port. (Turn off ignition)

In addition there is a video version of this as well but have not tried this one. http://shop1.outpost.com/product/525...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Adventurer2370
I looked at that device, however there are cheaper alternatives if you don't won't the control, which provides an iPod Dock connector to both USB (for charging via a USB car adaptor) and a .125" stereo jack for the AUX. This allows a single cable to the iPod that give line level audio and charging.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/513...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It is for a Kenwood, but still works in the TL type S '08 just fine. The only thing I would change is a mod in the dock connector to allow the iPod to switch off when power is removed from the USB port. (Turn off ignition)

In addition there is a video version of this as well but have not tried this one. http://shop1.outpost.com/product/525...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
ok your setup is not going to work;and on mine you still have one cable running to your ipod.read the post and look at the web site a little better.ok
Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Cruisin'

Just checked out the Griffin link and found another option from them - if you don't want the controls and you want the iPod "mounted":
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexaux

I am so glad to have stumnbled on this thread. I'm driving my 06 TL 600 miles to trade it in on an 07 TL-S - that of course has the aux input. I've been playing the iPod through the tape player for 18 months and I HATE the volume adjustment!

I drove several cars while trying to decide how to replace my 06, including a BMW 335i (too expensive, but one HELL of a car) and 2 Audi S4's. Seems like everyone else has figured out how important the iPod interface is to the consumer - both of theirs seemed to work great. Hard to believe that these posts are still popping up on here; I've seen several that are 4 years old or more. I love Honda, but come on already!
Still hoping that the dealer will be able to retrofit an adapter that gives full functionality via the NAV screen, but I'm glad I didn't hold my breath.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acura911
ok your setup is not going to work;and on mine you still have one cable running to your ipod.read the post and look at the web site a little better.ok
Sounds like he may have gotten it to work? Is that true Adventurer2370?
Reading about the product on a different site, it looks like it is set up to perform control functions (via a Kenwood receiver) as well as supply power via the USB connector. Could be that it will still supply power, but would obviously not have control capability. At $20, it's less than half the price of the Griffin product.
I don't think that last product I posted (see previous) is feasible for the TL due to the location of the aux input - unless you want to "mount" the iPod in the console... Kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 PM
4th Gear

@ChemicalLew - Yes I have it working just fine (TL type S 2008) and there is only the single dock connector on the iPod. No headphone connection, it uses the line out on the base of my 160GB Classic. You are also correct, that with the Kenwood head unit it would also provide control, in my case it just provides the power using a USB car adaptor.

I looked at the Griffin and I could have used the front tray power socket and run the audio cable from that into the console for the Aux in, but decided for now, $20 was good enough until I decide to go for a better integration with steering wheel control.

All I was looking for was power and audio with a single dock connector.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Here's an even cheaper option for the same cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UMC394

You can't beat that deal. I just got my order delivered (I bought 3 - one for home, one for car, one for work...I started using a headphone amp for home and work).

It looks very well made, not cheap at all. Cable is rather thick, and connector solid with releases on the sides.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:35 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
It's true. Rio Rebel is dead on. The dock connector is far better than using the headphone out. I've verified this many times in the house using both the headphone out and the dock on different audio systems. The fixed volume level is also much better in the car also since you can't accidentally change the volume while using the thumb wheel. There are many EE reasons for it but that's another topic.

That said, unfortunately, "better" out of the dock connector still isn't "great sound". Stream a 320k mp3 through any decent media renderer and compare it to the same mp3 from the dock-out of an iPod and you'll hear what I mean. Even my POS Linksys Media-Link destroys an iPod. But since the iPod excels in so many other areas it's worth the trade off.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I have this set up for now.....

+

and a short aux cable right into my aux on my 07.

The charger has an amplifier...lthoug it sounds a bit better than the headphone jack........the sound is still a bit muffled.....very loud...but i will still recommend getting somethign like dice...changing the music from the ipod is a driving hazard
Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 AM
08' WDP Type S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I may consider one of these, as the USA Spec and other similiar setups look like too much for me to handle on my own. Plus I don't want to void any warranties.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PSURob12
I may consider one of these, as the USA Spec and other similiar setups look like too much for me to handle on my own. Plus I don't want to void any warranties.
put mine in the first time in 2hrs myself......i can do it in 45 minutes now, and it doesn't void ANY warranties
Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lgp927
will this work on a 04?
nope, no aux port. 07+ only
Old 03-27-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
Originally Posted by PSURob12
Not as hard as you might think. It was the first time I'd done anything like this and I managed to do it in a little over two hours. Here are some instructions and helps: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/dreamcast-w-controllers-vmu-games-173870/

Oh, and x2 on what Lembowski said about warranties; you're not doing anything to void a warranty.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:29 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by blkaspec
nope, no aux port. 07+ only
Dangit!!!! Just purchased an '05. I guess I will have to stick with the radio tuner ipod cable. Isn't there some way to bust into the thing? or find a jack around back?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:24 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by jim in atl
Dangit!!!! Just purchased an '05. I guess I will have to stick with the radio tuner ipod cable. Isn't there some way to bust into the thing? or find a jack around back?
Yeah, i cannot believe that acura overlooked an aux in the 06- TLs.