IPOD integration using PIE X3 and Valor ILink Completed

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjclose
Guys - I am the dumbest of anyone here., sorry... I just got a 2006 TL with Nav. I searched and read all these threads and am lost and confused.

I want to get the ilink but am confused because Valor's site says I don't need anything else to hook up their product and get it to work. But many of you are saying that you need PIE, DOM and other stuff that I don't even understand well. I want a simple set-up: got a 60G video ipod, want to listen to music, and watch ipod videos on the nav screen and not have to control it all using the ipod and distract me from driving. Don't want TV tuners to watch TV, or need any other audio or DVD sources. So.... Do I still need all this stuff??? Is Valor not telling the whole story?

Is ilink the best (and cleanest) solution or is there something else out there??? How about this XtremeMac Roadshow for Ipod with Video???
I'm using the iLink finally now and unfortunately all this stuff is needed. You need:
Video input - which most of us our using Dom's device b/c of the pnp harness
Audio input - something with audio input, PIE is nice b/c of pnp harness through
XM (aux input)

Valor's marketing is crap...there are a lot of gotchas that I'm finding with the iLink, but overall still works fine. As others have stated if your videos are .mp4 (mpeg 4) files on the iPOD you won't be able to play them b/c iLink's docs are false. I've been ripping movies as .avi's or xvid files and they work fine. Also your playlists won't all work, only the first page that's displayed (going to call to see if there is a new firmware upgrade), and your photo's that are psynched through iPhoto won't display - you have to put the full .jpeg files in the photo directory of your ipod for those to display.

The music option (folder option aside from iPOD control) on the iLink is pretty sweet b/c it displays an EQ and lets you play a slide show while playing music...BUT the ILINK groups your music (only .mp3 format files) and groups them into a number for 40 - 50 song folders and renames them w/some goofy scheme(ANZQ, ANDK?) so you really have no idea how to navigate this music or it's name.

Maybe a little more detail than you wanted, but as you have probably noticed it's hard to find any detail that's factual on the iLink and almost hard to even find it...I picked mine up cheaper on eBay.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CUBSH8R
I'm using the iLink finally now and unfortunately all this stuff is needed. You need:
Video input - which most of us our using Dom's device b/c of the pnp harness
Audio input - something with audio input, PIE is nice b/c of pnp harness through
XM (aux input)

Valor's marketing is crap...there are a lot of gotchas that I'm finding with the iLink, but overall still works fine. As others have stated if your videos are .mp4 (mpeg 4) files on the iPOD you won't be able to play them b/c iLink's docs are false. I've been ripping movies as .avi's or xvid files and they work fine. Also your playlists won't all work, only the first page that's displayed (going to call to see if there is a new firmware upgrade), and your photo's that are psynched through iPhoto won't display - you have to put the full .jpeg files in the photo directory of your ipod for those to display.

The music option (folder option aside from iPOD control) on the iLink is pretty sweet b/c it displays an EQ and lets you play a slide show while playing music...BUT the ILINK groups your music (only .mp3 format files) and groups them into a number for 40 - 50 song folders and renames them w/some goofy scheme(ANZQ, ANDK?) so you really have no idea how to navigate this music or it's name.

Maybe a little more detail than you wanted, but as you have probably noticed it's hard to find any detail that's factual on the iLink and almost hard to even find it...I picked mine up cheaper on eBay.

Good luck
Thanks, man. I appreciate the thorough answer.

So I am starting to think ilink may be out of the picture..... Anyone knows a simple and good solution to get ipod videos (or mpegs or avis saved as files in ipod) to play, songlists, etc to play on the TL nav? I am not going to be using any other devices besides the ipod (no DVD, TV, CDs)? Any help will be great!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry guys..New to this and loving it

new tl owner here!!! very excited about what can be done with the on board navi.

i was wondering if there were links available to pdf's on instructions to dissasemble the car. i would hate to make a serious mistake out of frustration.

i know someone had some scans on removing the drivers and passengers side dash but was hoping there was more for the trunk and center consoles.

i'm pretty handy but belive it or not, i have not been able to tilt the back seat down. it almost feels stuck and i'm afraid of screwing something up. the release lever is not helping.

any help will be apreciated.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:56 PM
04 NBP 6MT

Wow! This is the first time I've wished I'd sprung for the Navi.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:21 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

how much did everything cost?
~Jason
Old 01-19-2007, 08:20 AM
JYS
8th Gear

Niiiice

That's pretty slick, pretty pretty slick!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 AM
JYS
8th Gear

Any time soon?

Anyone have any insight as to if Honda/Acura will actually have a good integration for the iPod with the Navi System? It would be unfortunate for folks to be putting all this time & effort into their own "outside" integration, than the manufacturer bozos finally wake up and come up with a solution months down the line...
Anyone... Anyone... Anyone...
Old 01-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I highly doubt that will happen anytime soon and even if they do come out with something better, it might not be backwards compatible. Maybe in the next gen TL.

Originally Posted by solislbc
i was wondering if there were links available to pdf's on instructions to dissasemble the car. i would hate to make a serious mistake out of frustration.

i know someone had some scans on removing the drivers and passengers side dash but was hoping there was more for the trunk and center consoles.
Perform a search for either a comptech short shifter and/or backup camera installs. There are a few DIY with links to scans.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

If I get the "big boy" from AV Eletronics and the iLink what else will I need to get this to work? BTW if I do get the big boy from AVE. can I also hook up a dvd player or will I need additional equipments? Sorry, but last question... Dom unit appx $200 + TV tuner appx $100 + Hony2 appx 200=$400 + S/H should I just get that unit from AV with built in TV tuner for $550? Besides the unit from AV has 3 video/audio inputs compared to Dom which has only 1. Where can I find instruction on how to take the dashboard apart so I can install all these. Thanks and sorry for all the noob questions.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Safety Car

Noob questions deserves a noob answer: "Please perform a search."

Here is a good place to start: 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ

BTW, Dom's unit has 2 video inputs, but you'll read about that in the FAQ above. The AVElectronics is overpriced, so unless you want to run LCDs in the headrests, you won't need it. Go with Dom's TVandNav2Go.

Good luck with the research.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Ok I am about to order these items:
Dom's uint
PIE x3
iLink
DVD Player with buitl in TV-Tuner
.....what else with I need to be able to watch everything through the Navi screen?
Is there any type of switch that I need to get to switch from navi screen and dvd mode? I did a bunch of searching and reading, but I wanted to make absolutely sure that I have every nuts and blts before I tear my car apart. Also let some1 previously asked...is there a downloaded PDF with instruction on how to take the console apart?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

What do you guys think of this (Pyle plbindv7). Found a good deal even though I will be mounting it under the seat and won't be using the screen from this unit. If I am not mistaken this unit has 5.1 surround sound. Is there any way to get surround sound to come through the car's system? If I am not mistaken the PIEx3 is only 2 channels, right?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MoPho
.....what else with I need to be able to watch everything through the Navi screen?
Is there any type of switch that I need to get to switch from navi screen and dvd mode? I did a bunch of searching and reading, but I wanted to make absolutely sure that I have every nuts and blts before I tear my car apart. Also let some1 previously asked...is there a downloaded PDF with instruction on how to take the console apart?
You seriously need to use search.

Here's some help anyway. Looks like your list is complete. You will still need cables and such for a DIY.

Dom's unit comes with a switch, but a few members swap it for something else. You will use this to switch between DVD and navi.

As for directions to take apart the console, I just saw a recent thread with a PDF: Looking 4 Instructions to Access back of Radio/NAV to install USA Adapter for ipod

Before you ask anymore questions, study this thread: DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install

Theres a lot of good threads that are linked there. Go through the links for details.

Originally Posted by MoPho
What do you guys think of this (Pyle plbindv7). Found a good deal even though I will be mounting it under the seat and won't be using the screen from this unit. If I am not mistaken this unit has 5.1 surround sound. Is there any way to get surround sound to come through the car's system? If I am not mistaken the PIEx3 is only 2 channels, right?
Haven't seen the Pyle module your talking about, but its your choice: use modules known to work or try something new.

There is currently no easy audio solution that is able to use the 5.1 surround sound. PIE, USA Spec, and Blitzsafe are all two channel stereo.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:50 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

anyone know where I could pick up the Valor ILINK? I tryed calling them but they gave me a number in Denver but they said they don't sell it?? any help would be appreciated thanks!!
~Jason
Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by Aznpersuasion
anyone know where I could pick up the Valor ILINK? I tryed calling them but they gave me a number in Denver but they said they don't sell it?? any help would be appreciated thanks!!
~Jason

Welcome to world of....EBAY!!!!! LOL saw a few on there cheap...appx $100-$125
Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
2005 TL 6MT Aspec

Unfortunately if you get an ilink and have a 5.5 gen ipod video it will not work ..