IPOD integration using PIE X3 and Valor ILink Completed

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPOD integration using PIE X3 and Valor ILink Completed

ok guys, here's my finished ipod integration. I previously had my dvd conversion posted here DVD Conversion so this is just an add on to it. The sound is perfect, there is no XM bleed in at any volume setting.

Here a pic of the remote and the ilink remote receiver

I placed the PIE remote under under the dash for easy access

The ILInk is under the front passenger seat next to the dvd player

Once my IPod is connected it is tucked away from view.

Here's the ILink's home menu on my navi screen

Here's what the IPod menu looks like

and here's a pic of the artist listings

Overall I am VERY pleased with the PIE and ILink combination. I dont have to deal with wires and I dont have to look down at the IPOD screen. The ILINK will play music and videos stored in my ipod on the navi screen. There is a small bug in the ILink which should be fixed in the next firmware update (about 2 months away). That is that it the ILink does not have the MP4 codecs. So it cant play the videos the IPod able to read. The ILink does play avi but then the ipod wont read them. So at this point its either or. I have several avi videos stored on my ipod now that I only play on the ilink.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats pretty sweet! awesome!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like I'm going to have to get in on the next dvd conversion Dom has so I can do this. Great job

Question: say you want to scroll through the song list you have to use the remote all the time for all changes right?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lembowski
Looks like I'm going to have to get in on the next dvd conversion Dom has so I can do this. Great job

Question: say you want to scroll through the song list you have to use the remote all the time for all changes right?
yea, the ipod is connected to the ilink through the botton ipod connection. once you connected its just like hooking up it to you computer. it starts charging and reads do not disconnect.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Good find! Thanks for the pics and post!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Instructor

NICE. Thanks for the write-up. I'm considering a similar setup. How is the video quality? I've never had an i-pod, is it possible to convert whole dvds to mp4 format? Also, how do you like the ilink's controls/menus? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by T. Diddy
NICE. Thanks for the write-up. I'm considering a similar setup. How is the video quality? I've never had an i-pod, is it possible to convert whole dvds to mp4 format? Also, how do you like the ilink's controls/menus? Thanks for any feedback.

the video quality if very good, think between vhs and dvd. the ilink's control is the same as the ipod music menu so its very user friendly. and yes you can convert entire dvds into mp4 format. you can get a program on intervideo for like $20 that will do it in one click for you.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Cool, thanks again. I hope the firmware update is successful. Where do you have the ilink and ipod? Im thinking having it in the armrest would be pretty good.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by T. Diddy
Cool, thanks again. I hope the firmware update is successful. Where do you have the ilink and ipod? Im thinking having it in the armrest would be pretty good.

I have it under the passenger seat next to the dvd player. I wanted to keep the armrest and glove compartment free of gagdets.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

I looked for this on Valor's home page, but couldn't find the answer.

vandido, can you please clarify. Does the iLink require an additional power source or is it using power from the iPod? I think it has a power adapter since it can also charge the iPod. What power adapter/supply comes with the iLink? One for home and one for car? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Pro

Just so I understand this correctly, the Navi screen is just being used for display right, no touchscreen control?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datmrman
I looked for this on Valor's home page, but couldn't find the answer.

vandido, can you please clarify. Does the iLink require an additional power source or is it using power from the iPod? I think it has a power adapter since it can also charge the iPod. What power adapter/supply comes with the iLink? One for home and one for car? Thanks.
Yes it does require a power source. However, since you really need a dvd conversion for this set up (navi screen required for menu) you can just piggy back the power off the dvd player. That's what I did.

I'll take some pics of the actual wiring set up for you so you can get a better idea.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brianp6621
Just so I understand this correctly, the Navi screen is just being used for display right, no touchscreen control?

Correct the navi screen is just to display the menu, the ilink comes with it's own remote for the menu navigation.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Pro

What shows on the screen while the ipod is playing? Does it show track and title info?
For me since you can't control it from the steering wheel or touchscreen, and it requires a remote (IR??) to use, I might as well control the ipod directly and use the USA spec interface.

Until a truly integrated system comes out for the TL, I think I'll be getting the USA Spec and just selecting things from the ipod manually.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brianp6621
What shows on the screen while the ipod is playing? Does it show track and title info?
For me since you can't control it from the steering wheel or touchscreen, and it requires a remote (IR??) to use, I might as well control the ipod directly and use the USA spec interface.

Until a truly integrated system comes out for the TL, I think I'll be getting the USA Spec and just selecting things from the ipod manually.

I'll post video of it. That will probably be best.

I dont personally like to use the steering wheel controls because the will wear down over time. What I've read about the USA spec is that you have to create playlist for it and you basically scroll through the songs one at a time. With this one you can search by albumn, artist, song, or you access the normal palylist you create on the ipod. But i'll take a video and post it.

LOL....sounds like I'm trying to sell the product.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Ok here's a pic of the ilink wiring. As you can see I grabbed the power supply from the dvd player. The Ilink's RCA cables are connected to an extra input I had from my tv tuner.

and here is a video of the ilink in action...sorry about the low volume. I took the video with my camera and didnt realize the volume on the stereo was too low for the camera to capture.

video link
Old 05-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Although I look at the picture and see a globe of wires, thanks for the additional pics vandido.

Since the RCA cables are blue, the Valor cables are white, I'm assuming the black wires are for power (iLink piggy with DVD player)?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Cruisin'

From what I understand, you can't play music downloaded from the iTunes Music Store using this solution. Is that correct?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ibnabouna
From what I understand, you can't play music downloaded from the iTunes Music Store using this solution. Is that correct?

I can play the music I buy from Itunes just fine.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:08 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
This is interesting...
What are you doing for an AUX port? Does the VALOR unit offer that too?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kennedy
This is interesting...
What are you doing for an AUX port? Does the VALOR unit offer that too?
everything that requires a video input is connected to the tv tuner, the tuner servers sorta like a hub. so i have my dvd and ilink connected to the tuner. the tuner is connected to the PIE X3 for a direct audio sound. The PIE X3 also leaves me with a couple free audio auxs.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is one slick solution, I may go that route in my TSX.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Advanced

This is by far the best solution I have seen for iPOD integration for people with Navigation. I think I want to go this route with doms unit and a backup camera. Well, once somebody finds a cam that doesnt leak water in.

Also, if the iLink can play divx, why the DVD player? You can convert DVDs to divx avi's easily using SimpleDivX. You can find this tool and tutorials HERE. Just convert them and place them on the iPOD for your viewing pleasure.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This seems very intrigging.. need to find out more info about Valor ILink. I assume this ILink can also work with USASpec or any other unit (FM module) that allow AUX in for sound.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Safety Car

hotLanta, DCC added extra silicon sealant around his camera (he got from Wendy on eBay) and has been successful so far in preventing water leaking in. I just bought mine yesterday. Mention kennyc and receive a $9 discount!

waacow, from what I understand, the Valor iLink works with RCA connections if you want video (yes, aux in works just with sound). So basically, you will need to pick up Dom's TVandNav2Go module and connect it with your USA Spec, then get Valor if you really wanted to. There is a group by for the TVandNav2Go module starting at $125. I already have mine. Maybe we should consider a meet to install that? You might as well pick up a backup camera too.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hoTLanta
This is by far the best solution I have seen for iPOD integration for people with Navigation. I think I want to go this route with doms unit and a backup camera. Well, once somebody finds a cam that doesnt leak water in.

Also, if the iLink can play divx, why the DVD player? You can convert DVDs to divx avi's easily using SimpleDivX. You can find this tool and tutorials HERE. Just convert them and place them on the iPOD for your viewing pleasure.

i personally love toys, so i couldnt just have one solution.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:50 AM
7th Gear

Sorry I'm a noob here...what is PIE? I really like what you've done here. I have a 30GB Ipod Video. Is all I need here is DOM's converter and the Valor iLink to hook this all up? What other parts do I need if there is any?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

P.I.E. = Precision Interface Electronics

They are a manufacturer of car audio interfaces. One of their products is the Triple Input Auxiliary Interface X3 which many members are using. This provides 3 aux inputs to the factory head unit (1 for DVD/PS2/Carputer, 1 for iPod, 1 for whatever else).

As for the main parts, Dom's TVandNav2Go, Valor iLink, and PIE X3 are the parts you need. Just browse and search the forum. There are a few guides for DIY installations on here. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

Would I need to buy the PnP module if I wanted to do all of these?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

The PNP harness for Dom will just make the install easier. If you don't mind spending time tapping into the navigation wires then you don't need the PNP harness. I myself bought the TVandNav2Go with PNP for easy installation and less worries concerning warranty.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I use the search but no dice... do we have a new group buy going for any of this stuff?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Safety Car

Try searching "TVandNav2Go" and/or "Dom*". The group buy in the Black Market ends today!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Vandido. You mentioned a firmware update for playing mp4 (iPod format) files. I wonder how we will update the iLink ourselves? Does anyone have any info on this or should we wait until updated iLinks are available? Im only hesitant because of this. Playing avi and mpg is awesome but would be perfect if mp4 playback was available. I just dont want to install everything and have to remove the iLink to send it back to be patched.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hoTLanta
Vandido. You mentioned a firmware update for playing mp4 (iPod format) files. I wonder how we will update the iLink ourselves? Does anyone have any info on this or should we wait until updated iLinks are available? Im only hesitant because of this. Playing avi and mpg is awesome but would be perfect if mp4 playback was available. I just dont want to install everything and have to remove the iLink to send it back to be patched.
if I'm not mistaken the way to update the firmware is to drop the file into the ipod. when the ilink connects to the ipod the firmware is updated. I'm actually gonna call valor next week to get an update on the firmware.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Instructor

UPDATE: ok I just got off the phone with the 1 man Valor tech support dept. He said that he has the firmware ready and it will be made available around 6/22 or so. And that the way to update the firmware will be to drop the file into the ipod.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

Vandido,

Quick question. I love your setup. If all i want to do is play my Video IPOD thru my Nav and be able to use the remote, can i use the following and nothing else:

Ilink Valor
PNVI Dual Video Input
Blitzsafe Hon/Aux Dmx V.2x
Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stone23
Vandido,

Quick question. I love your setup. If all i want to do is play my Video IPOD thru my Nav and be able to use the remote, can i use the following and nothing else:

Ilink Valor
PNVI Dual Video Input
Blitzsafe Hon/Aux Dmx V.2x
I dont see a problem with that setup. Just make sure you palce your PNVI and Blitsafe next to each other so your ilink can connect.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

?

How bout this one:

ILink
Dom's TV PNP
Blitzsafe

Would I need anything else?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Does the PNVI actually work with the TL? I haven't seen this in any installs. Maybe because Dom's unit is more affordable and can be easily integrated with the PNP harness.

Stone3, that combo there should work, but be careful with Blitzsafe, there are some known issues. Apparently, the Blitzsafe from logjam seem to be working fine (per another member on here by the name of xtin).
Old 06-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Thanks

Thanks for the help. Besides the Blitzsafe which other would you recommend?

Quick Reply: IPOD integration using PIE X3 and Valor ILink Completed