iPhone 4 and Acura TL Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:34 PM
IDM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
iPhone 4 and Acura TL Bluetooth

Is there a thread outlining how to use with this phone specifically?

I've paired my phone but it's not user friendly to use.
I dont know how to get the contacts in there. And I have to wait for someone to answer my phone call to switch to the bluetooth. Also people say it sounds like I'm in an airplane and can't hear me well. Basically this feature isn't working like I would want.

Any tips?

Thank you
Old 10-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
I'm really not sure why you are having this problem My iPhone4 works better than any blackberry I ever had in my 08 TL-S... The pairing is fairly simple and sound quality is great.

The contact import though I haven't tried to transfer as I did before with my blackberry, so I still have the list. I need to try that. And if you noticed, when you are in the car, and bluetooth is connected to your iphone, you have the options on the phone itself to whether use Handsfree, iPhone, Speaker... or just hit HLF and say transfer.

And yes, since you are manually dialing via iphone, you would need to transfer, it works the same on all phones. What iOS are you running?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:17 PM
IDM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
just hit HLF and say transfer.
How do I do this? What is HLF?

Any way yeah not having the contacts in there is my main issue and not being able to transfer to blue tooth until someone has already answered.

One way Ive been doing it is voicedialing on the i phone and then transfering it

im running the newest OS
Old 10-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
He/She means HFL... hands free link. To do the transfer, press the phone button and say transfer. You can also do the transfer on the phone itself.

Joe
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
IDM, it doesn't sound like you've made the "handshake" between your iPhone and the car. Go to Settings on your iPhone, then click on Bluetooth. Highlight your phone on the iPhone's screen so it can be detected by the TL.

Then go to phone setup from the Hands Free Link of the TL. Once the TL detects the iPhone and "pairs" the iPhone to the car, it should detect the phone each time you turn on the car. I know I'm not giving you the exact directions for the Hands Free Link portion, but read your owners manual for the exact sequence to pair your iPhone to your car.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 AM
IDM
Instructor

Hi I did pair it already.

Also there is a 2 second delay from when I hit the button to go to bluetooth on my phone.

Lastly making calls takes longer when Im in the car! I dial someones number and it takes 15 seconds before it starts ringing
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ Yea, there is a couple of seconds of delay, once you press the HFL button before you get the "beep" to talk. I've had the same situation with my iPhone 4 taking a few seconds to actually dial a call. Sometimes, I don't even hear the ringtones of the phone making the call and ringing the person I want to call. Just remember, it's not the HFL that is holding up the call. That's the phone doing the work....

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM
IDM
Instructor

I also have a problem when it I switch to bluetooth sometimes it flips back to my phone right away and I have to try again.

Anyone know if theres a way to sync contacts easily?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:16 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, that's how iPhones are programmed....if you make the call from the HFL syste, it will ring through the car. Any calls made/answered using the phone itself will send it to the handset. Have the same issue with my non Acura.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I'm really not sure why you are having this problem My iPhone4 works better than any blackberry I ever had in my 08 TL-S... The pairing is fairly simple and sound quality is great.

The contact import though I haven't tried to transfer as I did before with my blackberry, so I still have the list. I need to try that. And if you noticed, when you are in the car, and bluetooth is connected to your iphone, you have the options on the phone itself to whether use Handsfree, iPhone, Speaker... or just hit HLF and say transfer.

And yes, since you are manually dialing via iphone, you would need to transfer, it works the same on all phones. What iOS are you running?

May I ask how you transferred your Blackberry phone book to the TL? I have my phone paired but it says the phonebook transfer is not compatible with my phone which is a Curve 8830.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
IDM
Instructor

Can someone help me pair my contacts!!?

Also my phone has a delay in dialing when I am near the car even if I dont go through blue tooth. It takes 20 seconds to start ringing sometimes. Any way to solve this? I think the bluetooth in this car is crap
Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
IDM
Instructor

Originally Posted by IDM
Can someone help me pair my contacts!!?

Also my phone has a delay in dialing when I am near the car even if I dont go through blue tooth. It takes 20 seconds to start ringing sometimes. Any way to solve this? I think the bluetooth in this car is crap
me me ill help!

lol
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont mean to hijack this thread but I'm having issues pairing my iphone 4 with my 05 TL hands free link. Does my car need to be at a complete stop? I've tried pairing it and gave it the code but my iphone doesnt see it.. any suggestions???
Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Had a problem at the dealer trying to pair my phone. For some reason we tried a different 4-digit code (I was trying 1234) and it worked with a different code. That's stupid but its true.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:08 AM
IDM
Instructor

try hard restarting your phone and maybe taking off the battery from your car for an hour or so...just a guess.

I was able to follow the directions in the manual but it was a huge pain in the ass, very tricky and it took me a while before it worked.
I bet thats your problem too. The directions arent right and its not consistent.
I still havent figured out how to pair my contacts and nobody here can help...
Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Using my iphone4 in my car has been tricky. Everytime I dial directly from the phone and select handsfree it will still put the call straight to the phone. Also every call I make straight from the phone messes up. Like one time it connected, but all I could hear was my own echo. Weird.

I've found that if you voicedial or call someone using the HFL buttons on the steering wheel it works alot better. You can hear the rings too. Just leave the phone in the cup holder and don't mess with it.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM
IDM
Instructor

ttt
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM
IDM
Instructor

ttt the bluetooth and the iphone 4 really suck together or the bluetooth on the acura tl just sucks

anyone have luck getting this to work nicely?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
I just got a Verizon Iphone today and so far don't have any problems with Bluetooth. I put the phone through a pretty extensive usecase of establishing calls before/after bluetooth link and it works fine. I love the onscreen menus that make it easy to change mode from bluetooth, headset, or speaker- very nice.

The other thing I learned is the IOS4 supports multitasking and that helps with bluetooth in that the Settings dialog remains where it was last time so it's easy to toggle bluetooth. I do miss the hotkey on my old phone but the multitasking is a good workaround.

I don't use the contact list of the car a whole lot- I have the top10 contacts in the car and that's it.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I got a Verizon iPhone on February 11 and had no problems pairing it to the TL. It uses the same HFL phonebook that was already there. After pairing it I did un-pair the three prior phones I've had since I've had the TL, just to keep things more orderly. You cannot transfer your iPhone contact list into the HFL database because the HFL isn't set up for it. You'll need to create Phonebook entries for the people you call the most often, or else dial from your phone and then hit the on-screen button to use the HFL (do not do this when you are driving).

The TL owner's manual notes that your car must be at a complete stop to do the pairing procedure.

For me, the only annoyance with the iPhone has been that Apple refuses to allow the creation of a Bluetooth on/off shortcut unless you jailbreak the phone. I'm going to try the multitasking feature LaCostaRacer mentions. Note, BTW, that you can switch between apps (including the Settings app) by double-clicking the "Home" button to bring up the row of icons for the active apps at the bottom of the screen. Still not as simple as turning Bluetooth on and off on my old Motorola Z6cx, though.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Project X
I dont mean to hijack this thread but I'm having issues pairing my iphone 4 with my 05 TL hands free link. Does my car need to be at a complete stop? I've tried pairing it and gave it the code but my iphone doesnt see it.. any suggestions???
ttt

please help with this. ive disconnected my car battery and power cycled my phone etc..

do i need to unpair an older phone? i sold my i phone 3gs a long time ago.. i dont think it matters if it was onced paired with another phone.. anyone confirm?

thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Next week I'm getting the iphone 3gs and I will be deleting my old phone. I don't know if it matters either, but I still have always unpaired my old phones before adding my new one.

X, I think there is a way to clear all old phones out of the HFL, even if you have gotten rid of them.

Last edited by A SiQ TL; 02-22-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM

You don't have to delete your old phone(s) unless you've hit the maximum of six paired phones. I had left several old phones paired until I got the iPhone, when I deleted them simply to clean things up. The HFL phonebook works for all paired phones.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
6th Gear

I wish there was a way to fix the delay. And I hate the fact that the iphone switches back over to the phone when you make a call from it.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ParkPlace08TL
I wish there was a way to fix the delay. And I hate the fact that the iphone switches back over to the phone when you make a call from it.
I don't follow your second sentence. Do you mean that if you use the phone to dial out, it defaults to the phone rather than the HFL? Most phones do that. With most phones if you dial from the phone, rather than using the HFL to dial, you then have to hit the HFL's button and say "Transfer" to move the call over to the HFL.

My iPhone doesn't do this, though—it asks me whether I want to use the HFL, the speakerphone, or the regular hand-held phone mode. The only reason I know this is that I made a call from the phone when I was parked one day before disconnecting the Bluetooth. It's kind of similar to the way the six "buttons" appear on the phone's screen when you make a call and it's not connected to the Bluetooth. If I hit the button saying to use the HFL (or my Bang & Olufsen earpiece, if I'm in my other car), the phone transfers the call and I don't have to give the voice command.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM
IDM
Instructor

I think he means sometimes when you answer a call through the bluetooth it switches back to the phone instead of staying on bluetooth. And then you have to go through and pick bluetooth on your phone and transfer...then there is that 3 second delay once again...and forget the road noise too sounds like an airport runway.

Can someone help me set up the HFL contacts please?

I have an 04 without navigation
Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
IDM, you have to add them each individually. You can't import phone book in 04-06.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by IDM
I think he means sometimes when you answer a call through the bluetooth it switches back to the phone instead of staying on bluetooth. And then you have to go through and pick bluetooth on your phone and transfer...then there is that 3 second delay once again...and forget the road noise too sounds like an airport runway.

Can someone help me set up the HFL contacts please?

I have an 04 without navigation
That's weird. Mine doesn't do that. If I hit the button to answer, it answers through the Bluetooth.

Regarding HFL contacts: As A SiQ TL stated, you cannot import the contact list from your iPhone to the HFL (and you would not be able to import it to the Navi either if you had one). You need to use the HFL procedure to store numbers you wish to call, as follows. I think it's best to park the car, turn off the climate control, and close the windows when you do this. It minimizes noise.

(1) Press the HFL's talk button and say "Phonebook Store." (This combines two commands so as to skip a step.)

(2) The HFL asks what name you'd like to store. Hit the HFL talk button and say the name. It's important to minimize the noise and speak clearly because it will recognize the name in the future based on what you record now—that is, the name will be stated in your voice in the future, not in the HFL lady's voice.

(3) The HFL then asks you for the number for that person. Hit the HFL talk button and say the number. When you are done, the HFL will read the number. If it is correct, hit the HFL button again and say "Enter."
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Pro

Can someone please explain how they are pairing their Iphone 4 to the 3G TL HFL?

I was unable to do so using the steps in the manual and with the representative.

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What step are you getting stuck at? I paired my iPhone 4 in about 30 seconds...Fairly seemless...

Originally Posted by Project X
Can someone please explain how they are pairing their Iphone 4 to the 3G TL HFL?

I was unable to do so using the steps in the manual and with the representative.

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM

I just followed the steps in the TL owner's manual. Activate the pairing function on the TL's HFL before you activate your iPhone's Bluetooth. If you don't have an owner's manual, register your car at owners.acura.com and you can find a manual there under "model information."

One thing I noted about the iPhone is that simply turning on the Bluetooth makes it discoverable, which I found odd. On other phones I've had, you have to take an additional step to make the phone discoverable. I think having an extra step makes sense so as to prevent someone from pairing something without your knowledge if you don't turn Bluetooth off when you're not using it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 PM
IDM
Instructor

Another complaint that I have is that usually when I'm in my car and hooked up to bluetooth the first time I call someone from my phone it will go straight to their voicemail even if Im calling a land line or cell phone. The second time it will actually ring and get through to them. But I basically have to call people twice most times when I'm in my car and call out.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 PM
5th Gear

My '07 TLS is suddenly importing only numbers from my iPhones 'favorites'. I erased all the favorites and it grabs only one number ... my voicemail number! WHy not my real contacts?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Advanced

I am having some difficulties successfully paring my iPhone4 to my 06TL HFL. I can get the phone to pick up HFL from the car, and asks for the 4digit code. I enter the code. The car recgonizes the connection, and states what would you like to name the phone? I say the name and than the BT turns off. And I have to redo the process, and its the same thing over and over again. I cannot get the car to keep the connection. Please help!