Installed new factory radio still no nav screen??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Installed new factory radio still no nav screen??

i just purchased my tl last week and it had a pioneer double din where the stock radio was. i hated how it looked and bought a used stock radio to install. Had an audio shop install it and the radio works fine but still no display on nav screen. it is getting power you can tell because it turns grey when the car is on but nothing displays. all factory harness's were intact so i dont think wiring is the issue. is there something i am missing or is my screen shot also? i really dont want to buy a screen if it is not the problem. i searched but couldn't find an anwser any help will be appreciated...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

nobody? i seen all the threads about sending the nav unit to alpine for repair, but i wasnt sure if that is the problem. should i have no display at all? no error messages?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

anyone have any insight? or should i send out my nav unit and hope that fixes the problem?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Pghpizzaman
i just purchased my tl last week and it had a pioneer double din where the stock radio was. i hated how it looked and bought a used stock radio to install. Had an audio shop install it and the radio works fine but still no display on nav screen. it is getting power you can tell because it turns grey when the car is on but nothing displays. all factory harness's were intact so i dont think wiring is the issue. is there something i am missing or is my screen shot also? i really dont want to buy a screen if it is not the problem. i searched but couldn't find an anwser any help will be appreciated...
Can you get any info on the navi screen like maps or settings or anything? If not, check the navi drive and make sure it's powering up and spinning. Also look in the car for a switch that the previous owner may have installed to route video to the navi screen and override the stock video feed.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Did you get the correct stock radio? You have to use one out of a navi car or the navi won't work.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

yea radio is the right one came out of an 04 w/navi. same as mine. radio plugged in and worked fine just no screen. looked like when you turn on your tv without turning on your cable box. i put the double din back in til i figure it out. is there a certain sequence to get it on? i didnt disconnect the battery when i did it so i was gonna try to put it back in and disconnect the battery then see if the dvd drive in the trunk is making any noise.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Navi systems have anti-theft codes. That may be what is causing this problem. You need to get the anti-theft codes for the radio and Navi from the previous owner and enter them into the system. They come on a card and are usually in with the Acura owner manuals in the glove box.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CompTech2408
The Navi systems have anti-theft codes. That may be what is causing this problem. You need to get the anti-theft codes for the radio and Navi from the previous owner and enter them into the system. They come on a card and are usually in with the Acura owner manuals in the glove box.
deff right!!! i used to do this for a living, diagnostics, etc, your right on the moenyyyy
Old 03-26-2012, 01:58 AM
T-Town TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you need a code, but the screen has to work to put in the Navi code.
The radio code is input through the radio preset buttons, the Navi code is entered via the touchscreen.

Last edited by Soundmanred; 03-26-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

Originally Posted by Soundmanred
Yes you need a code, but the screen has to work to put in the Navi code.
The radio code is input through the radio preset buttons, the Navi code is entered via the touchscreen.
yea i have the radio code but no navi code. and the screen would need to work to put it in. i dont have an owners manual so i guess im going back to the dealer for that code also.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there a vin on the radio because i thought for our gen he had radio codes by vin
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
The radio is no different between navi and non-navi. I've done the conversion and the only difference is some pins are used on the navi that aren't on the non-navi. One being audio for the navigation.

But I have to ask a stupid question. Is the navi unit in the trunk there along with the subdisplay? When you say you popped the radio in, were all the connections on the back of the display used? Not trying to offend you or anything and you do say the harness was intact but you don't say if it was previously a navi based TL. If they replaced it with an aftermarket unit, many times they are non-navi.
The following users liked this post:
HalfAnP (03-29-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

Originally Posted by KN_TL
The radio is no different between navi and non-navi. I've done the conversion and the only difference is some pins are used on the navi that aren't on the non-navi. One being audio for the navigation.

But I have to ask a stupid question. Is the navi unit in the trunk there along with the subdisplay? When you say you popped the radio in, were all the connections on the back of the display used? Not trying to offend you or anything and you do say the harness was intact but you don't say if it was previously a navi based TL. If they replaced it with an aftermarket unit, many times they are non-navi.
yea is a factory navi tl, and dvd was still in trunk. all connections were used and still there. dont know what subdisplay is?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Pghpizzaman
yea is a factory navi tl, and dvd was still in trunk. all connections were used and still there. dont know what subdisplay is?
The subdisplay is the one above the vents. Is that working (showing temp, radio station, etc).
Old 03-31-2012, 03:32 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

Originally Posted by KN_TL
The subdisplay is the one above the vents. Is that working (showing temp, radio station, etc).
yes it is working...

haven't had any time to get the dvd unit out to ship to alpine but hopefully this week because the car is going to get the a-spec front lip painted, and a front bumper repaint cant wait
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 AM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Long shot, but I blew the fuse and my screen went out so that could be your problem too.

Its possible they touched two wires together. I wanted to extend some wires and I cut them both together like a dumbass and the pliers I was using made the wires touch.

Check the fuse box at the driver's footwell area. Its the fuse for the front acc. power. (It's for the outlet below the stereo in the bottom pocket) For some reason the navi screen is on that fuse as well (I know because I blew that fuse and my navi screen went out, and I nearly pissed my pants while simultaneously crying).

Its the third fuse from the back, bottom row if i'm remembering correctly. Read the fusebox door and it'll say something like that.

When mine blue the screen wouldn't light up.....I think. I don't remmeber 100% though.

You can tell if your navi unit is working by pressing the buttons (settings, cancel, menu, etc.) It should beep each time you press a button indicating its changed pages/menus. Mine was still doing that when the fuse blew.

Last edited by quanaman; 04-02-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:42 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

well i just got the great news from alpine that my navi unit is non repairable due to a soft drink spill. WTF?? So the one below is the only one i found. Is this the correct one? Do i need to match any numbers on mine or any 04 tl unit will work? Is this a good price? what price range should they be in? thanks for the help, i'm so pissed right now it's unreal!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trunk-naviga...2f4bc9&vxp=mtr
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

any thoughts on if this should work? i am looking to order today before i go out of town....