infinity 63.7's installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Thumbs up infinity 63.7's installed

Just installed a pair of infinity 63.7i's in place of the stock back speakers. These are 3-way 6.5in speakers and are a huge improvement over stock. I upgraded my sub and the bass completely drowned out the stock speakers back there. Now I can actually hear the treble coming from the back, it sounds great.

The install was easy...remove rear deck plug and play. There are four holes for screws on the 63.7's and only three on the stock speakers so I ended using silicon to hold them in place along with one screw on each. No rattling at all.

The best part is how inexpensive these speakers are. I bought mine from:

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...2781&aff=45847

I had to call them to place the order bc website wasnt working. They even came with a $10 off coupon...may buy another set for the front! These are great speakers for the price.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats on the new speakers. Hope they sound as well as you thought. The only concern I have is using 1 screw and silicone to hold the speaker? That's a pretty original idea. Don't expect that to hold for very long.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks bro. For the price the sound can't be beat. The rear window is too low for my drill to fit in there so I had to improvise. What makes you think the silicon won't hold?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
What makes you think the silicon won't hold?
mainly Vibration. Silicone won't stop the speaker from vibrating because it's flexible, which could cause the speaker to eventually come loose. Additionally, it's just not good practice to install speakers in such a manner. they should be bolted down. I had to dremel my rear deck and install threaded clips just to get my speakers to fit on the deck.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I disagree, this is commercial silicon sealant, I dont think they will come loose. There is one screw in each speaker too.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Wow good price on those! I paid around $95 for mine about 1 year ago. I also have 1 screw missing but absolutely no issues. I did all 4 speakers. I am not running an additional amp on it an it is pretty good. A LOT more treble than before. Could use a lil more midrange.

I haven't done the front tweets or center yet. I have put in 2 B-pillar tweets and 2 Infinity 12" subs in a Q-logic bandpass powered by a RockFos 1000 Watt amp. Sounds absolutely crazy! I play videos through my DVD player and rear headrests, lol. Everyone thinks I have a wacko $5k system but I really haven't spent that much, I spent smart.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Wow good price on those! I paid around $95 for mine about 1 year ago. I also have 1 screw missing but absolutely no issues. I did all 4 speakers. I am not running an additional amp on it an it is pretty good. A LOT more treble than before. Could use a lil more midrange.

I haven't done the front tweets or center yet. I have put in 2 B-pillar tweets and 2 Infinity 12" subs in a Q-logic bandpass powered by a RockFos 1000 Watt amp. Sounds absolutely crazy! I play videos through my DVD player and rear headrests, lol. Everyone thinks I have a wacko $5k system but I really haven't spent that much, I spent smart.
That sounds awesome! I agree with you on the mids. I'm probly gonna do the fronts next...techronics sent me a $10 off next purchase coupon. How'd you do the b-pillar tweets?

I upgraded my center and tweets up front w/infinity, you should do that for sure. Overall for what I've spent I couldn't be happier. Great sound on a budget.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM
King of NYC

The B-pillar tweetscould not be mounted flush or any hole drilling above the seatbelts because there is a track mechanism that allows the seatbelt level to be adjusted. This was OK anyways because the way I installed them actually came out better because I didn't drill any holes and do any permanent damage.

I actually ran the wire up to the top of the B-pillar panel and tucked the wire out of the edge of the panel. I just double side taped the tweeter in such a way you can't see the wire emerge and it looks unobtrusive and stock.

My friend was selling these no-name tweeters for a dumbo cheap price of $10. He told me "I know these look like crap but trust me they sound AWESOME and they can perform. They have been flying off the shelf, I can't get enough!" I tried them in the B-Pillar of my old BMW and they were in fact AWESOME! In fact WAY better than the Infinitys I had in the B-Pillar of my car before that. I got these ideas in college in another country. It is commonplace to mount tweeters on the top of the windshield and B-Pillar. I don't see it much around here and it sounds stupid but trust me, that's where you will hear them better. On the dash reflecting off the windshield sounds worse.

So this is my 2nd install of these no-name speakers and they are flawless and give me much more 3D sound......

Call it 7.1 DVD Audio!! LOL

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-16-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I really like that idea...couple questions:

Did you run the extra tweets parallel? And what did you wire them to?

My only concern here is that having them right next to your head would make them louder, any validity here? I don't want them to outshine the rest of my speakers.

3-d sound...exactly what I'm looking for, thats what made the rear infinity's such a great upgrade cause I can hear them up front!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Im going to agree with Trew, reguardless of the grade...silicone is silicone. Its great for sealing but I wouldnt count on it to keep the speakers securely attached on something that will vibrate like the rear deck.

I'd try to at least get one more screw in each speaker at the least. They made attachments that you can put on a normal drill that will make it a half assed right angle drill for getting into areas like that, worth looking into
Old 09-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Amp them..they'll sound worlds better
Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I appreciate the concern guys but I just dont see how they would come unattached. Plus the rear deck is secured against the top of the speakers putting pressure from the top. I'll probly take out the rear deck this weekend and take a look see just to be sure. I do have plans to add an amp down the road...any suggestions?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So are these speakers compatible with the resistance of our factory speakers? Arent the factory speakers 2 Ohm's?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Yes sir, the Infinities are 2 ohm just like factory. Using the supplied mounting bracket, they're one of the only bolt-ins that you don't have to cut the car or make custom brackets to install. The only thing custom is the cutting of the wiring but that's hardly custom.

Off topic, but are you still in Baghdad? My father just went back for another year.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:00 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by skd2k1
I really like that idea...couple questions:

Did you run the extra tweets parallel? And what did you wire them to?

My only concern here is that having them right next to your head would make them louder, any validity here? I don't want them to outshine the rest of my speakers.

3-d sound...exactly what I'm looking for, thats what made the rear infinity's such a great upgrade cause I can hear them up front!
I wanted to run them from the front channels but running a wire through the dash or from the doors seemed like a headache. I tried tracing forward to the harnesses but it was a jumbled mess. I easily tapped from the rear channels because I had the panels and rear seats already out during another mod I was doing. They are wired parallel and I wired in a resistor as a crossover. The tweeters do overpower the front tweeters and center channel but not the rest of the speakers. In order to really even out the sound I would have to upgrade those too because those are the only things left stock. I am not too worried about those lil tweets overpowering anything, those monster subs in the trunk take over my entire system, lol!

Overall the treble output is HUGELY improved. Admittedly on max setting the treble can be harsh. I have it turned down quite a bit to amplify the mids and it sounds fantastic. They are not right IN my ear. They are positioned high up, right where that B-pillar panel meets the roof liner. Everyone who hears my system comments on how nice it sounds.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yes sir, the Infinities are 2 ohm just like factory. Using the supplied mounting bracket, they're one of the only bolt-ins that you don't have to cut the car or make custom brackets to install. The only thing custom is the cutting of the wiring but that's hardly custom.

Off topic, but are you still in Baghdad? My father just went back for another year.
Awesome thanks for the heads up I think I will go ahead and get aset of these than. We moved up to Baquba about 6 months ago from Baghdad. I should be home end of the month Oct.. Been a long ass 15 months.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Pro

Ok so I was just researching into this and came across the infinity 63.9i.... What is the difference between the two? Just wondering.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the 63.9's are the newest version of these speakers. I'm still really enjoying the sound of these and the silicon is still holding!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by TLFourplay
Ok so I was just researching into this and came across the infinity 63.9i.... What is the difference between the two? Just wondering.
Post #4
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/speaker-one-better-rear-689260/