I-058: playa4real's Peripheral PXAMG Install for a 3G Type S

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking I-058: playa4real's Peripheral PXAMG Install for a 3G Type S

So over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been testing out Peripheral’s new harness for our 3G TLs, specifically for those who would like to keep the XM working in their cars. Since the harness is connected to the SAT tuner in the trunk, I had to wire it to the front –the iPod cable is pretty long so you can route it one of several ways. I chose to wire under the rear seat and into the center console.

The components (left to right): iPod harness, peripheral module, and module to XM tuner harness.

Here is a closer view of the module harness. (1) is the male connector which connects into the XM tuner, (2) is the female connector which connects to the connector removed from the XM module, and (3) is the 24 pin connector which plugs into the module.

Now before you move to the car be sure to check that you have the latest firmware on the module. You can find instructions and the latest firmware here: http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/ Once complete and before installing into the car, ensure Dipswitch 2 in the ON position. (**Note** I am not sure if it is required to reset the module before installing into the car or not (I had to), but to do so you can either open up the module and short out the leads to the capacitor that has a “+” sign on it or once installed in the car, disconnect the car from the negative terminal of the battery for 10 minutes.)

Onto the car...
First you want to remove the trunk liner so that you can get to the XM module and remove the bottom of the rear seat. You can find instructions on how to do both of those here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/how-remove-back-seats-put-suspension-3g-garage-f-070-a-567460/. There’s only one bolt and 2 hooks holding the seat in so it is extremely easy to remove. I then pulled out the trim between the door and the rear seat on the passenger side to make wiring easier. As for the trunk, you do not need to remove the entire liner; you can just pull the passenger’s side out so that there is enough room for you to get to the module.

To loosen the module, just loosen the 3 bolts circled in red and pull up and out.

Once removed, you need to disconnect this connector from the XM module. Just push on the tab at the top and then wiggle it out. I found it easier to stick a thin flat screwdriver and make some room to pull it out.

Next, you want to connect the Peripheral module harness to the XM module and to the wire you just removed. This picture shows the cable from the antenna removed, but be sure to connect that before reinstalling the module.

Now we have to wire the iPod harness to the front of the car. If you follow this wire bundle, it conveniently runs through a hole into the front of the car and runs under the trim along the door.

Before you start wiring the harness to the front, let’s loosen up the center console so that you can feed the wire through there. Open up the center console, remove the rubber mat at the bottom, and take out the following 2 screws.

This will allow enough wiggle room for you to get your hand underneath. You will be able to lift it up a little, but be careful because if you lift it with too much force you will crack the carbon fiber trim along the gear shifter. Once you are able to get you hand under the console push out the black square. It’s pretty easy to take out, just give it a generous push.

Now that everything has been taken out, you are ready to wire. I found it to be easiest to start from the front and go towards the rear. You want to route the wire starting in the center console, and then go under the carpet to where the back seat would be. Use a metal hanger (or a snake if you have one) to guide the wire. At this point you want to ensure you have enough slack in the center console so that when your Ipod is in the upper tray and you open the console the wire won’t be pulled. Now, using the metal hanger, continue to route the wire between the door and the back of the rear seat and into the hole that leads to the trunk, as mentioned above. Once in the trunk, I routed the wire along some existing cables so I knew that it would not be pinched anywhere.

Now that you have the rough wiring done, go back to the front of the car and tape down the wire neatly. I just used some electrical tape and taped it along the wire bundle that travels under the seat. In the trunk I used some cable ties to hold the wire against existing wires. You can reinstall the screws in the center console and tighten that down. I drilled out a piece of that plastic rectangle so that the wire can come up through that hole and then just pushed the piece back into place.

The final step is to figure out where you want to place the module. You can find a nice place to zip-tie the module behind the trunk liner or you can do what I did and cut through the trunk liner to place the module onto the navigation unit. If you do this, use Velcro to secure to the unit. I figured this would be best in case I ever need to update the firmware or replace the module – no need to rip out the trunk. Connect all of the wires, reinstall everything, and voila!

Here are pics of the complete install.

Once you have installed the module, turn on your car and press the XM button and then turn the Tune knob until “IPOD” is displayed before using. You can press “6” or just wait about 5 seconds for that input to be selected.

Here are some other helpful links..
Peripheral Manual: http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...HD1_manual.pdf
Peripheral Quick Reference Card: http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/pdfs/PGHHD1QRC.pdf

Thanks to all AZiners for their help and ideas, but most of all to Tony at Peripheral for his help and the opportunity to try out the development harness
The following users liked this post:
exlex (02-14-2012)
Old 11-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
thats awesome bro! i've been waiting for them to fix this issue. so can you control all of the ipod functions with the knob on the stereo?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:35 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's pretty sick set up nicely done. And awesome CD btw
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So were do i sign up to buy.... would make a nice X/Mas gift foe my self....
Old 11-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jptl04
thats awesome bro! i've been waiting for them to fix this issue. so can you control all of the ipod functions with the knob on the stereo?
yeah just use the tune knob and u can browse the songs, or you can use the steering wheel controls. you also use that knob to browse through playlists, genres, artists, songs, albums, etc.

Originally Posted by Distorted Reality
That's pretty sick set up nicely done. And awesome CD btw
thanks do you like the album? i def think he's a better rapper than a singer, but street lights is my favorite song on there

Originally Posted by Sal's Type S
So were do i sign up to buy.... would make a nice X/Mas gift foe my self....
haha, you can buy it right now, but the harness and extended ipod cable probably won't be available until 1st quarter 2009
Old 11-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
what does this harness do that the previous harness did not?

I just installed this unit myself, but I removed the XM harness from behind the headunit (didn't have to disassemble my dash, I used the 15 minutes install technique).

Does this harness now allow you to install it at the XM receiver location, whereas the previous iteration did not?

Does this pause the iPod with incoming HFL calls?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

BTW .. I LOVE the peripheral product -- made me fall right back in love with my TL and it's sound system all over again.

THANK YOU PERIPHERAL FOR AN AWESOME PRODUCT, CHEERS!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:55 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yo i have 05 TL and dont have navigation im trying to see if i can get NAVI for my car and would the peripheral module work on my car even if i dont have navi
\
Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Yes. I have a 2004 TL without navi -- works perfectly -- i can use all radio controls to control my ipod.. it's perfect.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
what does this harness do that the previous harness did not?

I just installed this unit myself, but I removed the XM harness from behind the headunit (didn't have to disassemble my dash, I used the 15 minutes install technique).

Does this harness now allow you to install it at the XM receiver location, whereas the previous iteration did not?

Does this pause the iPod with incoming HFL calls?
Apparently, since the 07 and 08s are equipped with navtraffic, the navigation systems are wired a little differently. as a result, there are lag and freezing issues so to eliminate these a harness was created to attach in the trunk. by attaching in the trunk, you also keep the the functionality of XM and NavTraffic if you desire. and yes, the ipod does pause when using the HFL
Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 PM
10th Gear

does the peripheral unit charge the ipod?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rcknrollin
does the peripheral unit charge the ipod?
yes it does
Old 11-30-2008, 07:50 PM
10th Gear

Playa do you know when the new harness will be made available? I haven't seen any posts from the peripheral insider we have on the forum.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Has the lag issue been resolved with the latest firmware?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Advanced

I want to install this system in my 07 MDX TECH/ENT...

..i WAS going to install it in my TL-S but i just traded it in.

Any idea if this would be possible in the new car>?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Finally. Great write up too.

SUBSCRIBE
Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Docnito
Playa do you know when the new harness will be made available? I haven't seen any posts from the peripheral insider we have on the forum.
Peripheral was saying at the latest 1st qtr 2009

Originally Posted by borgit
Has the lag issue been resolved with the latest firmware?
i believe so. do you have an 07/08 tl? if thats the case i think the lag is not resolved without the new harness - due to the differences in wiring for the navigation with navtraffic

Originally Posted by WNY08TLS
I want to install this system in my 07 MDX TECH/ENT...

..i WAS going to install it in my TL-S but i just traded it in.

Any idea if this would be possible in the new car>?
did you check out peripheral's website? you may not even need the new harness for the mdx.

Originally Posted by AtlantaTLS
Finally. Great write up too.

SUBSCRIBE
thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
^ Nice! Wanna do mine?? I wired my window roll up module by myself but I dunno if I want to tackle this....
Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

We just got our first "chill" with snow here in chicago .. my car was out in the cold for over 10 hours... i accidentally left my ipod in there also --

happy to report that the Peripheral started right up -- flawless playback
Old 12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Driven to Perfection

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome DIY. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Pro

CarrieLynn - haha, I don't mind helping you install yours when you get it..just let me know.

PeterUbers - yeah just be careful about the iPod, i think the ipods non-operating surrounding environment temp can be as low as -4 degrees, not sure what would happen if you place it in temperatures lower than that, but im sure it can't be good.

mattster - thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 PM

can we use xm antena for hd radio ?... or there is some other option...
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
playa - I'll keep you posted...we can't buy all the parts yet anyways right? unless you got the hookup haha The only thing that makes me nervous is getting that damn cord under the carpet and over by the door, that looks like a pain, I'll prob try it but I'll wait till it gets a lil warmer out since I don't have a garage
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I assume the unit will work with the 3G iPhone, but will it charge it too?

Here are pics of the module in my 07's trunk for future reference.

This connector and the antenna are the only wires that go into this module.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:39 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Playa, i have an 05 navi TL.....i thought the unit for 04-06 was behind the stereo? is it located differently for 07-08? Do i need this harness? does the latest firmware eliminate those freezing issues? sorry for all of the questions but i have been waiting to buy this and install once the freezing issues were resolved....thanks in advance bro.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Safety Car

The XM unit for the 04-06 is also in the trunk
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Pro

ikm19 - you can buy an additional HD unit which can be connected to the module.

carrie - unfortunately i dont have a hookup. but yeah im in the same boat as you, i dont have a garage either so i had to go to a friends to finish the install.

mug - im not sure about charging the iphone, last i read, it didnt. thanks for the pics tho, im sure those will come in handy when people start installing these modules.

djbonsu - PeterUbers is right, the xm module is in the trunk. however if you are not looking to keep XM in your car you can just remove the harness from the back of the headunit and connect the module there. i dont believe you need the new harness to have this module to work in your car. and yes i believe the freeze and lag issues were solved with the last firmware release.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks Playa!!....I appreciate the info!....i DO plan on keeping my XM service
Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 AM
yct
Cruisin'

I was on the fence about doing ipod integration. This is by far the cleanest solution to having everything working + ipod. I didn't want to lose nav-traffic. Where did you buy the harness from?
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/products.aspx

The site still says that it is incompatible with nav-traffic. I'm also waiting for the longer cables. Who can we talk to see when it is out. I'm getting excited to do the install. It's the one thing missing from a nearly perfect 08' TLS.

Do you know if the HD radio will allow 5.1 surround to play? That would be a plus as well.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:11 AM
yct
Cruisin'

Do you think a group buy would be possible? I see that some people would be interested.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear

i want to do the trunk mount with the hd radio in a 2008 non navi TL. can the xm antenna in the trunk be split and plugged into the hd radio unit with the appropriate connectors? i have the hd radio unit and want to know if there is antenna access in the trunk. does the xm radio antenna also carry the am/fm signal?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

i just got one of these for my girl's TL for xmas....i cant wait to install it
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Safety Car

The Peripheral's "lag on startup" issues is totally related to the cold for me... when my car is in the garage... startup in the morning is flawless... XM, FM, AM, CD, or iPod starts up right away ..

However, after sitting in the cold (less than 20 degrees) for > 8 hours... it takes about 30 seconds from hitting the power button on the center console for ANY source to start up (CD, XM, AM, FM, iPOD)... it's gotta be related to the PXAMG warming up ..

not a super big deal as I have a remote starter and I have my car running for > 5-10 minutes prior to me getting in .. ipod is running nicely and car is toasty and defrosted.. however.. would be nice to know if there is a fix for this.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yct
I was on the fence about doing ipod integration. This is by far the cleanest solution to having everything working + ipod. I didn't want to lose nav-traffic. Where did you buy the harness from?

The site still says that it is incompatible with nav-traffic. I'm also waiting for the longer cables. Who can we talk to see when it is out. I'm getting excited to do the install. It's the one thing missing from a nearly perfect 08' TLS.

Do you know if the HD radio will allow 5.1 surround to play? That would be a plus as well.

Longer cables?? the ipod cord is 11 feet!!

HD will not do 5.1
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by yct

The harness is not available yet, hopefully before the end of 1Q 2009.

Originally Posted by yct
Do you think a group buy would be possible? I see that some people would be interested.
I think user Peripheral was looking into that, you may want to PM him to see what the status of that is, i'm guessing if it occurs it won't be until 2009. Take a look at the HUGE ipod thread there are occasional updates in there.

Originally Posted by jma9
i want to do the trunk mount with the hd radio in a 2008 non navi TL. can the xm antenna in the trunk be split and plugged into the hd radio unit with the appropriate connectors? i have the hd radio unit and want to know if there is antenna access in the trunk. does the xm radio antenna also carry the am/fm signal?
I am not sure if the antenna can be split, i doubt it though. you can get to the XM antenna which is on the roof of the car but comes down into the XM module. I believe the AM/FM antenna is built into the rear window - I don't know how to get to that or even if you can.

Originally Posted by wrbmonster
i just got one of these for my girl's TL for xmas....i cant wait to install it
congrats.

The Peripheral's "lag on startup" issues is totally related to the cold for me... when my car is in the garage... startup in the morning is flawless... XM, FM, AM, CD, or iPod starts up right away ..

However, after sitting in the cold (less than 20 degrees) for > 8 hours... it takes about 30 seconds from hitting the power button on the center console for ANY source to start up (CD, XM, AM, FM, iPOD)... it's gotta be related to the PXAMG warming up ..

not a super big deal as I have a remote starter and I have my car running for > 5-10 minutes prior to me getting in .. ipod is running nicely and car is toasty and defrosted.. however.. would be nice to know if there is a fix for this.
like i mentioned in another thread, I do not have this issue at all. My car has been outside in <20 degree weather from about 6pm to 7am and have not had an issue with any of the inputs. Try disconnecting the peripheral module from your HU and see if you still have the lag on start up after hours in the cold, i'd be interested to know what happens

Longer cables?? the ipod cord is 11 feet!!

HD will not do 5.1
10 feet isn't long enough to go from the trunk to the front of the car. The cable I got is ~20 feet long - its a tad longer than necessary, but no complaints here
Old 12-18-2008, 11:37 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So I saw this question asked earlier, but no answer...

Will this automatically pause the iPod when the HFL starts ringing?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:53 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by mglax13
So I saw this question asked earlier, but no answer...

Will this automatically pause the iPod when the HFL starts ringing?
Quoted from another thread:

Originally Posted by playa4real
I don't believe you have the new harness that Peripheral has created, but with the new harness the IPOD does pause when using HFL.
So to answer your question, with the current harness, no it does not. With the new harness scheduled to come out Q1 09, yes it does pause the HFL.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Pro

^thanks anthracite
Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Racer

I would be interested in a group buy when the new unit is on the market. It's 1Q 09 so hopefully it will be available soon!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
'08 Type S KBP

I'm in for a group buy also. Any idea of the release date in Q1 09?

Quick Reply: I-058: playa4real's Peripheral PXAMG Install for a 3G Type S